Non O Marriage....Is bank statement required Chiangmai?

12 minutes ago, Ned said:

I've updated the bankbook every month since October last year.

Are you using money in bank method OR income method? 

The "bank letter" (100 baht) is simply one page confirming that you are the account owner. The account is active and account balance. 

Here is an older thread with extremely detailed OP for CM

https://aseannow.com/topic/1224751-marriage-visa-extension-guide-chiang-mai/

I assume you're applying for a 1 year extension of stay, rather than a Non O visa at Immigration based on Thai spouse.

It sounds as though you're using the income method of 40K monthly overseas transfers as well.

Updated passbook and 12 month bank statement in that case.
Bank statements are much easier to read to identify the monthly overseas 'credits' to your account.

The Current Immigration orders also state a 'bank statement' is required.

I'm extending the visa using the 400k in the bank method. Done it ten times already using the bank letter only. I was told I now need a bank statement also. I update the bankbook every month for the entire year.

7 minutes ago, Ned said:

I'm extending the visa using the 400k in the bank method. Done it ten times already using the bank letter only. I was told I now need a bank statement also. I update the bankbook every month for the entire year.

You're extending your permission of stay (not the visa) using the 400K funds in the bank method, then you only require a 3-month bank statement and passbook updated for the previous 3 months. The 400K is only required to be in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to the date of application.

I use the same method. Funds in a Fixed term deposit account.

9 minutes ago, Ned said:

I use a savings account.

As you're probably aware, you can withdraw and spend the full 400K once the extension is granted, then top up to 400K again 2 months before applying for the following year's extension. However, if you keep the 400K+ in the account throughout the year, then a Fixed term deposit account is more beneficial as they give a much higher interest rate than a Savings account.

Regardless of the type of account, you only need a 3-month bank statement.

Edited by Liquorice

56 minutes ago, Ned said:

Done it ten times already using the bank letter only. I was told I now need a bank statement also.

Told by whom? If an IO told you I'd follow their advise otherwise why not do whats worked for you already for the past 10 years?
FWIW I don't need a statement and the bank book copy suffices but that is in another province.

I've been renewing my marriage extension at CM for fifteen years now and for as long as I can remember I have always got a bank letter and a statement. I just go to my bank and I get both.

I couldn't tell you if a statement is required or not but I always take everything I think I need plus some things I'm not sure about just in case... To me it makes way more sense to plan for every eventuality rather than get caught out and have to make a second trip.

Put it this way, they have never handed me back my bank statement and told me it's not required.

• Like 1