Novice Monk Electrocuted at Temple After Handling Cable Found in Trash

Georgealbert

IMG_7169.jpeg

The incident occurred at Wat Bua Thon, located in the Suang Nuea district of Krasang, Buriram, when a 20-year-old novice monk named Wachirawut, also known as “Ngern Ball,” was electrocuted and died on October 21. The tragedy occurred around 17:30 when the temple was undergoing cleaning by local devotees.

According to Phra Maha Theerathong, the temple’s abbot, the novice monk was assisting with the cleanup by organising items that were hanging around the temple. It is believed that Wachirawut noticed a loose electrical cable and attempted to pull it, unaware that it was still plugged into an outlet. The old cable broke, resulting in a fatal electric shock. The incident went unnoticed until it was too late, leading to the monk’s being found dead at the scene.

Phra Maha Theerathong described Wachirawut as a dedicated novice who had been ordained for about eight years and was well-respected among his peers. He was known for his knowledge and was expected to take on a teaching role for younger novices. The abbot speculated that someone had taken the plug from a trash bin to use it, recalling that he himself had discarded it due to its worn and dangerous condition.

Wachirawut’s father, 53-year-old Mr. Rahod, expressed his shock and grief over the incident, describing it as an emergency he was unprepared for. He lamented the loss of his son, who had dreams of becoming a teacher. “I don’t know who to blame; this was an accident that no one wanted to happen,” he said, conveying his deep sorrow and sense of helplessness.

Picture of the damaged cable.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-23

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

image.png

It's unbelievable the amount of cheap trash on the market. A lot are just accidents waiting to happen.

When I first set up home with my wife I got rid of all the dodgy electrical stuff and explained to her why and what to buy in the future.