Held at Customs.

NoshowJones

I bought an item from Amazon and used my UK debit card. I tracked my item and have had a notice for the last two weeks saying it is delayed at customs. I have heard nothing more. It is in the warehouse at Samat Prakarn. I am asked by Amazon if I want to buy it again. It is a computer watch and only cost £25.

Are Amazon going to refund it or not? Has it been confiscated?

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Didn't you post this same topic a couple of days ago?

Yes, but got no answers, it was on another forum, I thought maybe the wrong one so I'm hoping I will answers here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Why don't you ask them?   No one here could ever know.

So I'm the first person who has had an item from Amazon held by customs at Samut Prakan? I has been 3 weeks now.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:
13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why don't you ask them?   No one here could ever know.

So I'm the first person who has had an item from Amazon held by customs at Samut Prakan? I has been 3 weeks now.

I'd guess, probably, yes.  How many responses have you seen?

How could anyone possibly know whether Amazon is offering you a refund?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

Why would Amazon refund you the money since it was delivered to you. You just have to go to the customs warehouse and pay the import duty tax on the item, that's all. Since it only cost £25, the duty shouldn't be more then a couple of hundred bhat. 

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I bought an GPS dog collar, and it was stopped by custom, ordered a new one and used express sending, and received the collar without problem. The payment for the topped/returned collar was refunded. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Did you use Amazon global and pre pay the tax?

No just Amazon, I bought two ear buds for about £25 and they were great value and there was no problem with them. Amazon advertise regularly in a UK newspaper in the internet.

6 hours ago, Hummin said:

I bought an GPS dog collar, and it was stopped by custom, ordered a new one and used express sending, and received the collar without problem. The payment for the topped/returned collar was refunded. 

Did you buy it from Amazon? It was them who sent it.

17 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I bought an item from Amazon and used my UK debit card. I tracked my item and have had a notice for the last two weeks saying it is delayed at customs. I have heard nothing more. It is in the warehouse at Samat Prakarn. I am asked by Amazon if I want to buy it again. It is a computer watch and only cost £25.

Are Amazon going to refund it or not? Has it been confiscated?

Amazon has nothing to do with the item being held and won't issue any credit or refund automatically. I doubt they would anyway as its a customs issue not an amazon issue. Call the transportation carrier. They have to do paperwork to clear the item from customs. If there is a tax due you pay thru them.

Amazon's shipping terms are delivered duty paid. I the item has not been delivered, they have not met the terms of the agreement, and should return your money. 

That said, if the seller (not Amazon) shipped it, all bets are off. 

10 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Amazon has nothing to do with the item being held and won't issue any credit or refund automatically. I doubt they would anyway as its a customs issue not an amazon issue. Call the transportation carrier. They have to do paperwork to clear the item from customs. If there is a tax due you pay thru them.

Thanks, all I can really do now is not order again from Amazon although I appreciate that it is not their fault and advise other posters to be careful, and as for the defamation rule. :crazy:

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Thanks, all I can really do now is not order again from Amazon although I appreciate that it is not their fault and advise other posters to be careful, and as for the defamation rule. :crazy:

Don't be surprised if this starts happening more frequently with other sellers\shippers. Thailand proposed to change the lower limit on taxation of imports earlier this year to 1500 baht. Im not sure where it stands now but thats a pretty low limit. 

• Thanks 1

I would be very surprised if you do not get a refund. I had something turned around at customs and the order was automatically cancelled and the charge reversed. 

I’ve received two orders in the last 30 days without issue. 

A few times I have gotten partial refunds on the duty.

Amazon will ask you to contact the delivery company directly. The delivery company will inform you of the delivery number and then you can go to customs to pay the import tax. If the delivery company fails to respond to you, then Amazon will produce a voucher for you as compensation. 

(Source: personal experience)

2 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

Amazon will ask you to contact the delivery company directly. The delivery company will inform you of the delivery number and then you can go to customs to pay the import tax. If the delivery company fails to respond to you, then Amazon will produce a voucher for you as compensation. 

(Source: personal experience)

This has not been my personal experience. 

17 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Is there a way to check how much duty was actually paid?

I do not know, but all charges are clear before you place the order. Cost, freight, duty and tax. 

I assume they quote it high, and or eat the over as I’ve gotten refunds but never an up-charge.

I have changed my mind at duty sticker-shock a number of times.

8 hours ago, Hummin said:

Would it by chance fit the wife/gf ?  lol

• Love It 1

11 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

No, you are not the first person who had things held by customs. Happens to me all the time as I import a lot of stuff.

What you have to do, is call and talk to customs dept. as you got your package number/id.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I bought an item from Amazon and used my UK debit card.

The same happened to me about 5 years ago using a US card purchase of a computer shipped by Amazon, they used UPS shipping agent at that time and Thai customs held it in their warehouse until I completed formalities for an import with UPS. It was normal procedure for Thai customs to hold onto any product imported until you go in person with pp or maybe send a proxy to do it for you and identify yourself on the Thai customs records as the legal importer of said product using that shippng agent. It costs nothing to do, just had to sign some forms and provide passport ID. After approval within 24 hours they allow the import to continue and the product is delivered to your home, you cannot take it with you when you are there. I understand you only need to register once for each shipping agent, after that any future purchases come straight thro but I never tried again.

5 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

The same happened to me about 5 years ago using a US card purchase of a computer shipped by Amazon, they used UPS shipping agent at that time and Thai customs held it in their warehouse until I completed formalities for an import with UPS. It was normal procedure for Thai customs to hold onto any product imported until you go in person with pp or maybe send a proxy to do it for you and identify yourself on the Thai customs records as the legal importer of said product using that shippng agent. It costs nothing to do, just had to sign some forms and provide passport ID. After approval within 24 hours they allow the import to continue and the product is delivered to your home, you cannot take it with you when you are there. I understand you only need to register once for each shipping agent, after that any future purchases come straight thro but I never tried again.

Seems an awful lot of bother to me, but thanks.