Clashes and Arrests as Tommy Robinson Supporters March Through London

Social Media

image.png

In central London, tensions escalated as thousands of Tommy Robinson supporters marched in what was branded the "Uniting the Kingdom" protest, facing off against a large gathering of anti-fascist counter-protesters. The Metropolitan Police, alongside British Transport Police and other forces, implemented significant security measures, including barricading Parliament Square’s statue of Winston Churchill, as well as the Cenotaph on Whitehall, to prevent damage.

Thousands of supporters of far-Right activist Tommy Robinson marched through central London

Officers also created a “sterile zone” along Whitehall to separate both camps, hoping to limit direct confrontation.

Police clash with anti-fascist counter-protesters

Robinson, a far-right activist known legally as Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, had organized the rally to rally supporters. The gathering moved from Victoria Station toward Whitehall, where pro-Robinson demonstrators waved Union Flags and banners, some of which displayed inflammatory slogans. Robinson supporters chanted, “Oh Tommy, Tommy,” “We want Starmer out,” and provocative phrases, while others held signs referencing controversial topics like migration and cultural grievances.

Two women are dressed in carnival costume in the colours of the Union Jack

Demonstrators displayed a massive banner reading “The Rape of Britain” alongside images of political figures including London Mayor Sadiq Khan, former Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, and Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer. Other banners demanded the return of deportation policies and criticized asylum programs, while some attendees wore badges commemorating Peter Lynch, a man who died in custody after being jailed for verbally assaulting police officers.

Yet, Robinson himself did not attend the march, as he was held in custody following his refusal to provide a phone access code under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000. Robinson’s absence fueled frustrations among some demonstrators, with supporters calling for his release. The activist is also due in court for an ongoing case regarding alleged breaches of a High Court order that prevents him from repeating libellous claims against a Syrian refugee.

Officers from forces across the country join the Metropolitan and British Transport Police to keep the two sides apart

Nearby, tens of thousands rallied in a counter-protest organized by Stand Up To Racism, which had called for a massive anti-fascist turnout. Anti-racist demonstrators gathered near Piccadilly Circus and filled the northern end of Whitehall, many holding placards with slogans like “Stop the Far Right” and “No to Islamophobia.” Trade unions, community groups, and activists brought banners from the National Education Union (NEU), RMT, and Fire Brigades Union, with Palestinian flags also present in the crowd. Daniel Kebede, general secretary of the NEU, addressed the crowd, saying, “I was a teacher.

When I lined children up for dinner – black, white, Jewish, Muslim – do you know what they did? Hold hands. Our children show us the type of future we all want to see. Let’s stand up to the racists, and build a society fit for all our children.”

Arrests were made at both demonstrations. Police apprehended two individuals from Robinson's march for public order offences, including a racially aggravated incident. Among the counter-protesters, one woman was initially detained for assault but later released after providing her information, and another arrest occurred when an officer was assaulted at The Mall. Additional arrests followed, including one for a racist comment directed at a police officer.

Stand Up To Racism estimated that Robinson’s march attracted around 25,000 attendees, while 20,000 joined the counter-protest. This rally and counter-protest follow a July demonstration by Robinson supporters, which also attracted tens of thousands, with reports of Islamophobic chants. Robinson has a long history with far-right movements, having formerly been a member of the British National Party and founding the English Defence League.

Based on a report from the Daily Telegraph 2024-10-28

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I dislike Robinson intensely and much of what he stands for.

It was jolly convenient that the government were able to lock him up prior to the demonstration for refusal to provide a phone access code under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Diane Abbot was speaking at the counter rally, saying the police are free to pretty much anyone they want to as the policeman  who shot the criminal Kaba walked free. 

• Confused 2

33 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Perhaps he thought organizing a rightwing gathering on the weekend before his appearance might sway the court.

Why would the fact the gathering was "right wing" be of importance to the court?

Oh sorry, I forgot... :coffee1:

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Why would the fact the gathering was "right wing" be of importance to the court?

Oh sorry, I forgot... :coffee1:

Because Yaxley-Lennon’s rubes are rightwingers and will turn up on his command.

Displays of support for defendants in trials are nothing new, though Yaxley-Lennon seems to make more appearances before the bench than most folk.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, roo860 said:

I’ve underlined the bit that gave rise to my question, refer below:

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

Diane Abbot was speaking at the counter rally, saying the police are free to pretty much anyone they want to as the policeman  who shot the criminal Kaba walked free. 

It might be a good idea for you to refrain from stating others are suffering degenerative disease if you are going to post meaningless stuff like that.

6 minutes ago, loong said:

I am neither far right, racist or fascist and the fact that I am against the uncontrolled invasion by Islamic illegal immigrants does not make me so!
I am absolutely certain that there are many like me.

Maybe, but I’m sure all the far right, racist fascists agree with you.

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I dislike Robinson intensely and much of what he stands for.

It was jolly convenient that the government were able to lock him up prior to the demonstration for refusal to provide a phone access code under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000!

Boris didn't provide his access code for the covid inquiry and sold the whole country down the river to put it into context... punishment FA 🤔

47 minutes ago, sungod said:

2 Tier Kier needs to grab hold of her and shake some sense into her empty brain. Chris Kabba was a violent gang member who walked into a crowded nightclub and started shooting, the copper needs a medal.

Justice for Chris Kabba ...he got it .

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Well, Labour MP's do seem to be fond of violence.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c6244gk9d4po

image.png.140ed93ac1a6558a1850d5420cfd98e2.png

I wonder how many years in jail he will get? Given that being offensive on FaceBook gets multiple years, I would expect a minimum of 5 for actual physical violence on the streets. 

But then again, he's left wing Labour so I wouldn't even expect charges to be brought. 

Just now, roo860 said:

You're not a moderator, so don't tell me what I can post, you need to wind your neck in.

I didn’t tell you what you can/cannot post.

I simply pointed out that in a post I which you state someone you don’t know is suffering from a degenerative disease you also posted a sentence that has absolutely no meaning. 

I do understand your embarrassment at the ridiculous nature of your statement being brought to your attention.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Social Media said:

image.png

In central London, tensions escalated as thousands of Tommy Robinson supporters marched in what was branded the "Uniting the Kingdom" protest, facing off against a large gathering of anti-fascist counter-protesters. The Metropolitan Police, alongside British Transport Police and other forces, implemented significant security measures, including barricading Parliament Square’s statue of Winston Churchill, as well as the Cenotaph on Whitehall, to prevent damage.

Thousands of supporters of far-Right activist Tommy Robinson marched through central London

Officers also created a “sterile zone” along Whitehall to separate both camps, hoping to limit direct confrontation.

Police clash with anti-fascist counter-protesters

Robinson, a far-right activist known legally as Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, had organized the rally to rally supporters. The gathering moved from Victoria Station toward Whitehall, where pro-Robinson demonstrators waved Union Flags and banners, some of which displayed inflammatory slogans. Robinson supporters chanted, “Oh Tommy, Tommy,” “We want Starmer out,” and provocative phrases, while others held signs referencing controversial topics like migration and cultural grievances.

Two women are dressed in carnival costume in the colours of the Union Jack

Demonstrators displayed a massive banner reading “The Rape of Britain” alongside images of political figures including London Mayor Sadiq Khan, former Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, and Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer. Other banners demanded the return of deportation policies and criticized asylum programs, while some attendees wore badges commemorating Peter Lynch, a man who died in custody after being jailed for verbally assaulting police officers.

Yet, Robinson himself did not attend the march, as he was held in custody following his refusal to provide a phone access code under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000. Robinson’s absence fueled frustrations among some demonstrators, with supporters calling for his release. The activist is also due in court for an ongoing case regarding alleged breaches of a High Court order that prevents him from repeating libellous claims against a Syrian refugee.

Officers from forces across the country join the Metropolitan and British Transport Police to keep the two sides apart

Nearby, tens of thousands rallied in a counter-protest organized by Stand Up To Racism, which had called for a massive anti-fascist turnout. Anti-racist demonstrators gathered near Piccadilly Circus and filled the northern end of Whitehall, many holding placards with slogans like “Stop the Far Right” and “No to Islamophobia.” Trade unions, community groups, and activists brought banners from the National Education Union (NEU), RMT, and Fire Brigades Union, with Palestinian flags also present in the crowd. Daniel Kebede, general secretary of the NEU, addressed the crowd, saying, “I was a teacher.

When I lined children up for dinner – black, white, Jewish, Muslim – do you know what they did? Hold hands. Our children show us the type of future we all want to see. Let’s stand up to the racists, and build a society fit for all our children.”

Arrests were made at both demonstrations. Police apprehended two individuals from Robinson's march for public order offences, including a racially aggravated incident. Among the counter-protesters, one woman was initially detained for assault but later released after providing her information, and another arrest occurred when an officer was assaulted at The Mall. Additional arrests followed, including one for a racist comment directed at a police officer.

Stand Up To Racism estimated that Robinson’s march attracted around 25,000 attendees, while 20,000 joined the counter-protest. This rally and counter-protest follow a July demonstration by Robinson supporters, which also attracted tens of thousands, with reports of Islamophobic chants. Robinson has a long history with far-right movements, having formerly been a member of the British National Party and founding the English Defence League.

Based on a report from the Daily Telegraph 2024-10-28

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

The peaceful protest I watched was not the one reported and described by the biased Telegraph.. The so called Left rabble were the ones that were the ones causing the trouble.

• Agree 2