How To Apply For A Job In Singapore

Some of you may remember I recently queried whether or not others would consider working and living in Singapore

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...131962&st=0

I've decided if I could find the right job opportunity, though Thailand is my #1 choice, Singapore would be acceptable given the higher prevalence of jobs in my field finance, and the fact for about $150 you can be in BKK in an hour and 30 minutes. I have found a job in SG that I'm well qualified for but have not yet applied. This happens to be a job for a branch of the government of Singapore with a headquarters in Singapore and offices worldwide, including one just a short walk from where I live. My interest as noted would be to work at the Singapore office not a local branch though if I had to first work locally with the understanding I have my eyes set on transferring to SG as soon as possible that would be acceptable. I presently have a vacation planned in Thailand at the end of this year. My dilemma is should I apply for the job right now even though I'm quite far from their headquarters where I desire to work and thus they may take me less seriously or...should I wait and hope the job or one like it is available closer to the end of the year at a time when I could apply from Thailand and easily go in for an interview at the headquarters if required? While there's no guarantee I'll even be considered for this or any job I apply for, I haven't seen too many jobs so closely matched to my own which makes me think my chances of being considered are good and makes the situation feel more urgent.

The pro of doing it now is that I don't know if the job will be available in another 4 months, I'm certain it is now. The con is that I can't easily go in for an interview at the headquarters though perhaps they'd be willing to interview me at their local branch. I don't know what the local branch really does and if this would be feasible or not.

The pros of waiting are that I could more easily come in for an interview and seem more like a local candidate who is serious about the job, also there are a few things I'd like to wrap up, such as my apartment lease and some things at work, like getting my bonus at the end of the year. Though if I got the job I'd be willing to just pay the remainder of the lease and forfeit the bonus if I needed to start immediately. The con of waiting is that the job could be gone.

Please comment if you have ever applied for and received an offer for a job from another country and the best way to go about this to assure that your prospective employer takes you seriously and doesn't think you are just shooting off resumes around the world and seeing what sticks. Also given that the branch of the government I plan to apply to employs hundreds of people and while my particular role would be important it's not mission critical how likely is it that they would be willing to hire me, but wait a few months before I begin? Most of all I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my chances for landing the job.

its people like you why business dont take long distance candidates seriously.............lol.

no offense meant just reality guy!

have to say you echoed what I was thinking :o

To OP. There are plenty of skilled people in Singapore at your level. It's you that needs to convince an employer, not the other way round. From what you've said I wouldn't take you seriously. You're not showing commitment to the job or location.

You may want to contact the recruitment agents like Monster.com, Robert Walters, Michael Page etc. They'll help screen you for employers, and employers for you. So that you don't make some of the mstakes you're talking about making.

Edited by ThaiWanderer68

Wasabi, my suggestion is that you should apply now, by email, fax or snail mail, whichever the job advertisement allows. Get your name and résumé on record with that company. You’ve got a computer, probably they’ve got a computer, you could even do a video conference with them.

--

Maestro

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. In regards to the comments about me being the reason why they don't take candidates seriously can you help me refine my pitch so that they do take me seriously? I am very serious about the job but I definitely want to work in Singapore. I recognize there is an extra hurdle for any job not being a local candidate even more so when you are on another continent. I'd like to do all I can to overcome this hurdle. I've been open about my feelings concerning location and timing here, but if something I said is waving a red flag I can omit it from any correspondence between me and the company. I already know the exact job and employer I want to work for, I just want to apply from a distance in a way that I'll be taken seriously.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. In regards to the comments about me being the reason why they don't take candidates seriously can you help me refine my pitch so that they do take me seriously? I am very serious about the job but I definitely want to work in Singapore. I recognize there is an extra hurdle for any job not being a local candidate even more so when you are on another continent. I'd like to do all I can to overcome this hurdle. I've been open about my feelings concerning location and timing here, but if something I said is waving a red flag I can omit it from any correspondence between me and the company. I already know the exact job and employer I want to work for, I just want to apply from a distance in a way that I'll be taken seriously.

You'll be a stronger candidate if you can state a convincing reason that you want to work in Singapore other than that's it's close to Thailand. The work ethic is very strong in Singapore, there are plenty of work-aholics working on the local pay scale that you will be competing against. If you come off as a backpacker looking for a way to subsist in Asia then your chances are very poor; if you come off as a leader who thinks that he can thrive professionallly in Singapore then your chances are fair.

Some things that could help your chances are if you can answer in the affirmative are: Do you have any previous international experience? Are you recongized as a leader in your field? Have you been exposed previously to Asian-style corporate politics?

Edited by kdvsn

Hi,

You'll be a stronger candidate if you can state a convincing reason that you want to work in Singapore other than that's it's close to Thailand. The work ethic is very strong in Singapore, there are plenty of work-aholics working on the local pay scale that you will be competing against. If you come off as a backpacker looking for a way to subsist in Asia then your chances are very poor; if you come off as a leader who thinks that he can thrive professionallly in Singapore then your chances are fair.

Some things that could help your chances are if you can answer in the affirmative are: Do you have any previous international experience? Are you recongized as a leader in your field? Have you been exposed previously to Asian-style corporate politics?

I am eager to gain exposure to Asian-style corporate politics and of course be close to Thailand but I don't need to discuss that with my potential employers. As far as working abroad the answer is no, however in my 6 years working in finance I've worked with various geographic and multi currency securities and strategies including ones specific to Asia. I am a recognized leader in my field and frequently have head hunters calling me on an unsolicited basis. I work for a prestigious money management organization, I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, just answering your question. The title and function of my present job is nearly identical to the job I'm interested in. Even so I don't know if all of this will translate into interest on their part or not. I decided to apply for it today, we'll see what happens.

Edited by wasabi

Whenever you want to go to a new place to work, the best bet is to set up as many different interviews as possible in advance for a scheduled trip to where you want to move. You give a sense of commitment, and can beat many of the preliminary rounds of filtering. Personally, I've been pretty lucky in that having a one-week interview window and being able to secure several job offers.

The key is just to develop sufficient interest with enough people in advance, and get through the HR barrier in advance. Having a specific schedule also does wonders to help actually set up interview times.

If you want to do it remotely, you have to be able to convince people that you are in the top 1/2% of the people in your field... over the phone. Top 1% won't cut it over the phone, and top 5% won't take you anywhere. In contrast, I find I need to show myself to be in the top 10% in a face-to-face interview, with reasonable interpersonal skills. (Same goes for when I am interviewing other people.)

Sh1t or get off the pot-- if you want to work some place, you have to go there!

Have a look at www.mom.gov.sg

Foreigners who wish to spend some time in Singapore to look for a job can apply for the Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate (EPEC). EPEC grants the holder a Social Visit Pass (SVP) valid for up to one year. The EPEC is issued on a one-time basis and is strictly non-renewable.

You may apply for EPEC if you hold recognised tertiary/professional qualifications.

So you can now get up to 1 year to look for a job but given your area I do not think you wil need that ;-)

Booming economy, many jobs being created and shortage of people.

Edited by Prakanong

Have a look at www.mom.gov.sg

Foreigners who wish to spend some time in Singapore to look for a job can apply for the Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate (EPEC). EPEC grants the holder a Social Visit Pass (SVP) valid for up to one year. The EPEC is issued on a one-time basis and is strictly non-renewable.

You may apply for EPEC if you hold recognised tertiary/professional qualifications.

So you can now get up to 1 year to look for a job but given your area I do not think you wil need that ;-)

Booming economy, many jobs being created and shortage of people.

This is great information, thanks so much! If I don't hear form the company I applied for I'm gonna sit tight with my present job, then I may relocate to Singapore to look for work if I can obtain an EPEC at years end. Is this how you landed your job there?

Edited by wasabi