The Lower League Thread

mrbojangles

Stevenage 2 Macclesfield Town 2

A decent point to start the season for the Silkmen.Always difficult to play a newly promoted club away for the first match.

Last season Macc conceded a last minute goal on quite a few occasions so it was no surprise when Stevenage equalized in the last minute,although by all accounts they deserved it.

Swinon Town 1 - Brighton 2

A crappy match and an even crappier result. It seemed as though it was a case of too many new players who haven't gelled yet, I'm sure Danny will sort it and sort it quickly. Last season we lost out first game 5-0 and look at how that season ended up for us.

Leicester City 4 Macclesfield Town 3

Decent enough performance from the Silkmen against a side that reached the Premiership play offs last season.....free to concentrate on promotion nowwhistling.gif

But overall,some great results for the smaller clubs.....Rochdale,Bradford,Crewe,Accrington,Morecambe,Oxford,Port Vale,Shrewsbury,Southend.....thumbsup.gif

Notts County 1 - 0 Dag and Red

The magpies have finally fluttered off the bottom with a better second half performance at Meadow Lane. Dag and Red have replaced County at the base of the table.

Next week Notts will be put to the test again at Bournemouth, the best performing of the promoted teams so far. With some renewed confidence and the return of Lee Hughes they might have a chance.

Any one from Cambridge??. May be hard to believe but there are two of us here in this town, never met the other bloke until a few months back. He's Man U anyway!, but I have always kept an eye on the 'U's'. We are now in something called the Blue Square Premier League and a 2,506 crowd at the Abbey yesterday.

I have supported them for years, oh the heady days of Big Ron A, Dion Dubs, Steve Claridge.

Notice that one of the shirt sponsers this year is 'Greene King' - (IPA), what I would give for a pint now!!!.

Accrington Stanley 3 Macclesfield Town 0mad.gif

Doesnt get much worse than this......looks like another long season for the Silkmen !

At least I predicted Wigan 0 Chelsea 6 in the Predictions Leaguecool.gif

And it was your banker. :o

Apologies. I sent this by accident

Edited by Xangsamhua

Carling Cup Tuesday 24 August

Watford 1 - 2 Notts County

What's with Notts? Another away win, this time against a Championship side, after two dismal efforts in League One and a struggle to beat Dag and Red at home.

Up and down like a yo-yo. Some calling last week for Craig Short's head after only three games. Imagine if they hadn't got up against D & R!

Bournemouth 3 - 3 Notts County

Bournemouth must be kicking themselves after letting in two goals in extra time. The magpies can't believe they got away with a draw after being 0-3 at the 30 minute mark.

This has been a bizarre season so far for Notts.

Good to see D & R are on the board with a draw, though sitting on the bottom of the table. Good win to Rochdale away.

Macclesfield Town 1 Chesterfield 1

I suppose a decent point for Macc against a side who should at least make the play offs.

But still looking for that first win......fortunately Stockport and Barnet are doing worse !

Reading have just sold the BEST player outside the Premier league Gylfi Siggurson to some Bundasleaga club

6m.....gutted, he scored 21 goals from midfield last year and just penned a new 4 year deal.

Gutted once, twice thrice :annoyed:

I just hope Mr.Mad the chairman coughs up some of the dosh today to replace him....but he IS irreplacable in our team, everything revolves round him.

Its the same when Sidwell went to Chelase after we finished 8th in the Prem, we fell apart and got relegated.

So I am not expecting much more than a mid-table/relegation scrap now

GUTTED :(

Adam Le Fondre's sixth goal of the season gave Rotherham a 1-0 win over Lincoln in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy First Round. Im glad the window is shut now so he's a least a Rotherham player until January. But if he keeps scoring like he is doing and as he did last year, I don't think we'll be able to keep hold of him long term. Ronnie Moore has put a 3 million pound price on him which seems to have kept a few teams away, but im sure if he carries on the way he is then one of the bigger teams will snatch him up.