Car Ownership

Basta

Yes no problems, my car is in my name and was done by the garage where I bought it. All you need is money, insurance, passport, and some sort of proof of where you live..... 1x copy of either House blue book/rental contract/Embassy letter/Immergartion letter or like me get a letter from the local 'Junta'

Yes no problems, my car is in my name and was done by the garage where I bought it. All you need is money, insurance, passport, and some sort of proof of where you live..... 1x copy of either House blue book/rental contract/Embassy letter/Immergartion letter or like me get a letter from the local 'Junta'

You have answered my question also. The only thing that I need to know now is if you do not buy a new one ie second hand pickup. Does the garage do the registration? Or do you have to do it personally at the Department of Land Transport Office?

Would a Thai driving licence with address suffice for proof of address? as in order to obtain that you have already shown proof of address ie embassy letter/Immigration Letter.

Edited by maprao

I have just recently bought a new car in my name. First I got my self a Thai DL, which was much easier as I had an international DL. Next I went to immigration and got a letter of proof of address. At immigration they told me that I could buy either a new or second hand car in my own name.

I am not sure but I think you will need to have a non immigrant visa to obtain the DL. I was asked for this but I have heard of people getting a Thai DL with out this type of visa. The insurance and tax etc comes later when you purchase the car. I think that it will be a condition of insurance that you have a Thai DL, so although you can drive a car with an Inter DL, I don't think you would be covered by your insurance (small print). It took about 3-4 weeks for my book, tax disc and plates to come through. In this time I drove the car past plenty of police with no plates at all.

PS. Take great care when driving here in Thailand and expect the un-expected. The Thais in general are **** drivers. :o

You have answered my question also. The only thing that I need to know now is if you do not buy a new one ie second hand pickup. Does the garage do the registration? Or do you have to do it personally at the Department of Land Transport Office?

Would a Thai driving licence with address suffice for proof of address? as in order to obtain that you have already shown proof of address ie embassy letter/Immigration Letter.

The garage sorted all of the regestration process. (Honda)

Proof of address I got from the local Junta, FREE in the Town Hall

I am trying to establish if I need an embassy letter for proof of address or will i be succesful with:

1 year Non Imm "o" Visa Multiple

Thai Driving Licence (as proof of address) Do I need embassy letter as well? or other proof or will licence suffice?

and of course money.

Buying from a second hand car dealer.

I am trying to save myself time when I am in Bangkok. I am thinking I will get a letter anyway to save me having to return to Bangkok when I am told the licence is insufficient.

If anyone knows, your input would be appreciated.

The letter for proof of address has to come I think from Thai immigration not your embassey.

Thanks for the response. I will post my progress / success or failure here on the forum. However it will not be for another 16 weeks or so. Maybe after that the mods can pin the requirements. I am sure this has been discussed many times.

I like to use advice obtained here. I did so for my Thai Driving licence and got it in 20 minutes. Time will tell with this one......