Dec 23 Picked For Election Day

george

Dec 23 picked for Election Day

BANGKOK: -- The prime minister and the Election Commission agreed Monday to hold the next election on December 23.

EC Chairman Apichart Sukkhakhanont said Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont and the EC reached a common stand that Dec 23 would be the best timing for holding the poll.

-- The Nation 2007-08-27

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK: -- The prime minister and the Election Commission agreed Monday to hold the next election on December 23.

EC Chairman Apichart Sukkhakhanont said Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont and the EC reached a common stand that Dec 23 would be the best timing for holding the poll.

-- The Nation 2007-08-27

Lets hope the legislature gets those election laws thrashed out pretty quick then.

From BBC :-

Thailand has set a date for the first general election following last year's coup that ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra from power.

The electoral commission said the election would be held on 23 December.

Thailand's military-installed government had promised elections by the end of the year after it won approval for a new constitution.

Nearly 58% voted for the changes in a referendum earlier this month, though many pro-Thaksin areas rejected them.

Regards

/edit PS Am I a cynic but who's going to notice through all the Xmas trees etc.? .... //

Edited by A_Traveller

Why does it take so long to arrange an election? 4 months? Surely they've held them before, so what takes the time? When there is a clamour for a restoration of the democratic process, and with the referendum completed, what's the delay?

Edited by samtam

-- The Nation 2007-08-27

Hope this isn't going to screw up Crimbo celebrations ... worst of all ... there'll presumably be a 'dry day' from dusk on 22nd Dec? :o

Perfect, the missus and I always go back to her parent's for Christmas. I guess it will be easy for me, I mean her to vote. :D

Has Thaksin been naughty or nice? we'll see what santa brings for him.

that will be a dry day for the tourist on one of the busiest days of the year ,then the recount ,why not do that one on the 31 dec ,really start the new year off well :o

Well a year of proposterous, idiotic decisions is going to be rounded off with another one. Or is it a cynical one!!!

They are either off their collective trolleys by shutting down the entire country at the busiest time of the year. How many million tourist will be grumbling round in the evenings looking at closed bars?

Or :o

As many Northern Thais are working hard in the holiday resorts at this time of year. Perhaps they won't make it home to vote for out of favour parties! Perhaps, the middle class Thais will be getting an extra day off for xmas and be in a better position to vote.... for parties in favour of course.

Well a year of proposterous, idiotic decisions is going to be rounded off with another one. Or is it a cynical one!!!

They are either off their collective trolleys by shutting down the entire country at the busiest time of the year. How many million tourist will be grumbling round in the evenings looking at closed bars?

Or :o

As many Northern Thais are working hard in the holiday resorts at this time of year. Perhaps they won't make it home to vote for out of favour parties! Perhaps, the middle class Thais will be getting an extra day off for xmas and be in a better position to vote.... for parties in favour of course.

Thailand : The hub of goofy decisions...

Yes, because thats the important thing here, that tourists/expats can still get drunk.

Why does it take so long to arrange an election? 4 months? Surely they've held them before, so what takes the time? When there is a clamour for a restoration of the democratic process, and with the referendum completed, what's the delay?

Four months will give ample time for the mafia style parties to eliminate themselves out of the race by cheating as usual.

Perfect, the missus and I always go back to her parent's for Christmas. I guess it will be easy for me, I mean her to vote. :D

that will be a dry day for the tourist on one of the busiest days of the year ,then the recount ,why not do that one on the 31 dec ,really start the new year off well :o

Beyond me too! :D The Tourist Authority of Thailand is crying out for help in bringing the tourist back and they pull a date like this out of the bag. It's not just about not being able to have a beer (as we can do that at home) but when will they stop screwing up the fun for the tourists. Closing down all the fun houses during the high season is a major shot in the foot for the tourist industry, i just hope they kick up stink about it, as it will hurt them the most not the pockets of the tourists.

Edited by thaieagle67

I'm pretty sure a lot of western countries will issue "travel warnings" for Thailand for this Christmas. What a wonderful idea to pick December 23rd, certainly a great way to get rid of the last remaining tourists that were not yet killed by the tsunami, scared away by the coup and bombs or forced to go on holiday elsewhere because of the bad exchange rate.

Beyond me too! :D The Tourist Authority of Thailand is crying out for help in bringing the tourist back and they pull a date like this out of the bag. It's not just about not being able to have a beer (as we can do that at home) but when will they stop screwing up the fun for the tourists. Closing down all the fun houses during the high season is a major shot in the foot for the tourist industry, i just hope they kick up stink about it, as it will hurt them the most not the pockets of the tourists.

2. Oh sweet mother of God. For ######s sake.

1. 99.9% of tourists wont know there is even going to be an election before booking their holidays.

The 0.1% who do, won't know it's a 'dry' day.

3. It's not really 'dry' if you know where to look...........plenty of the tourist places will be open, and i'll betcha 3/4 of a bottle of Chang and a packet of Lays on that.

4. It wont kill them to not have a sodding drink for ONE NIGHT

5. No one will not come to Thailand because of one ######ing dry day.

6. This is a Buddhist country, though not officially of course. Whilst the 23rd of December appears to many foreigners brought up in christian countries as being 2 days before christmas, to a great many Thais it's just another day.

Lighten up. The tourist market won;t crumble because of this !!

1. 99.9% of tourists wont know there is even going to be an election before booking their holidays.

3. It's not really 'dry' if you know where to look...........plenty of the tourist places will be open, and i'll betcha 3/4 of a bottle of Chang and a packet of Lays on that.

6. This is a Buddhist country, though not officially of course. Whilst the 23rd of December appears to many foreigners brought up in christian countries as being 2 days before christmas, to a great many Thais it's just another day.

1 So that makes it OK then?

3 Yep I agree. Just go outside of tourist areas and you can get all the entertainment you want. Karaoke et al. Want booze? Go join the boys outside the "supermarket".

4 Happy Christmas. I just sat on a plane for 12 + hours, paid inflated airline prices (check Thai Air) and I can't go out to dance and party in the self publicized LOS?

5 True but will they come back?

6 There are so many Thai's who will be upset at this. Not only BG's but the staff who want to work and for the tips that flow at Xmas time.

In the tourist areas do the majority of staff come from that region? No. So they are ineligible to vote so they may or may not lose a days pay and have to sit in their bungalow doing nothing all day.

I would hazard a guess that you are not in the tourist business.

The main point of it being during the main tourist season is that the Thais who come from the country and work in the tourist industry won't be able to vote b/c they have to work. It doesn't matter if the government gives an extra holiday so the Thais can go back home to vote. The employers are not going to let their employees go home for a couple days during the busiest two weeks of the year in the tourist industry. I bet the current government thought of this too. If it was one or even better two weeks earlier it would be no problem or at least a lot smaller problem for the tourist workers to head home to vote.

The main point of it being during the main tourist season is that the Thais who come from the country and work in the tourist industry won't be able to vote b/c they have to work. It doesn't matter if the government gives an extra holiday so the Thais can go back home to vote. The employers are not going to let their employees go home for a couple days during the busiest two weeks of the year in the tourist industry. I bet the current government thought of this too. If it was one or even better two weeks earlier it would be no problem or at least a lot smaller problem for the tourist workers to head home to vote.

False.

Voters can register outside their hometown prior to the elections and drop their vote. Someone insisting on traveling back home probably gets a paid trip in exchange for their vote.

Whilst not disagreeing that local {to workplace} registration is possible, in the past it has been quite difficult to do and can only be undertaken within a set time frame. It is to be hoped that this time the authorities will make it simpler, but for example in the past those working but under the radar have found it unwise to register.

Regards

1 So that makes it OK then?

3 Yep I agree. Just go outside of tourist areas and you can get all the entertainment you want. Karaoke et al. Want booze? Go join the boys outside the "supermarket".

4 Happy Christmas. I just sat on a plane for 12 + hours, paid inflated airline prices (check Thai Air) and I can't go out to dance and party in the self publicized LOS?

5 True but will they come back?

6 There are so many Thai's who will be upset at this. Not only BG's but the staff who want to work and for the tips that flow at Xmas time.

In the tourist areas do the majority of staff come from that region? No. So they are ineligible to vote so they may or may not lose a days pay and have to sit in their bungalow doing nothing all day.

I would hazard a guess that you are not in the tourist business.

No, i'm not in the tourist business - though i do live on a tourist island. There will be a great many bars open in Patong - rest assured. Meet ya there for a drink? I'll buy !!

The Thai's can indeed register in the county they are working in if they want to vote, and now they have 4 months to do it, though being Thai they wont bother until December 21st and then say they couldnt vote..........

Phuket Labour office has been screaming for the last 18 months for people to register here and not in their 'home' town. Apparently the permanent population of Phuket is 23,000 or something. !

I dont believe having one potentially dry day will harm tourism in any way, nor will it harm the overall earning of any staff in any significant way. They have just had a brilliant 'low' season here with a huge influx of middle-easterners and Indians. I'm sure this more than makes up for one day of not drinking - when the tourists will still eat and tip of course.(and drink)

Thailand's biggest export is not tourism and the government is quite right to set a date which is convenient for it, and not for the very small number of tourists who wouldnt come back here cos they couldnt get a drink for one day.

Maybe they will go to the caribean or mexico next time. (if they've been rebuilt of course)

Let 'em !

I think this typifies some points on another thread about wanting/needing tourists and the lack of coordination. It's poor planning to have an election at that point in time. A week or so earlier might be better. Or, they could amend the alcohol law for certain provinces, areas, districts etc.

I am not a big drinker, so it makes no difference to me, but when people are on holiday, it's not particularly nice to deny them their entertainments--whatever that may be.

Tourism is a fickle business. Difficult to attract them, but very easy to lose them.

Best to everyone.

Whilst not disagreeing that local {to workplace} registration is possible, in the past it has been quite difficult to do and can only be undertaken within a set time frame. It is to be hoped that this time the authorities will make it simpler, but for example in the past those working but under the radar have found it unwise to register.

Regards

'A_Traveller' has nailed it again .

And being the gentleman he is , refrained from offering a conclusion .

Mid is aware that he's not quite as reserved ,

Following AT's theme , it's not hard to see how the voting block in question is manipulated depending on whether or not the current dominant party requires their vote .

mid

Yes, because thats the important thing here, that tourists/expats can still get drunk.

Whatever you views on this, and whether its morraly right or wrong. People drink, they enjoy a drink and many having worked year round to pay for this holiday will be peeved at the least at this idiotic decision.

The importan thing in any business is that you keep your customers happy, or at worst, satisfied. Many people loose a lot of money through these dry days at a time of year when they are making back money to pay debts incurred in the low season.

People like you, who are morally superior and have enough money not to be affected by this, should think of others just once in a while.