Help - Found A Job While On Tourist Visa

Hello all,

I am unsure if this question has already been addressed before - If so, apologies.

My "dilemma" is as follows - I have secured a very good job here in BKK where I am currently. In fact I have been on a tourist visa for a number of months (doing regular visa runs). My latest tourist Visa expires nect week and as a result i am going on a short trip to Malaysia for two days. My new job has just been confirmed and they are willing to get me a work permit - All that is not a problem - I am just wondering if I can apply for the work permit in Thailand whilst i am on a tourist visa OR do i need to get a non-immigrant visa outside (say in KL next week)? The only problem with getting a visa in KL is that I will only be theer for two days.

I hope somebody can answer this query.

Thanks and regards

Edo

Am somewhat concerned that your new job with a work permit did not seem willing to provide you with any information. Are you sure?

If you have the paperwork required for a non immigrant B visa it should take no longer to obtain than the normal tourist visa at a Thai Consulate AFAIK but will let those with recent experience provide more and current information.

:o Thanks Lopburi - The job and the employer are totally legit - I came here as an "intern" and hence was on a tourist visa - I realise that was somewhat risky, but had to do that to get my foot in the door, so to speak - But anyway they like me and want me to stay and hence are adamant that a work permit needs to be applied for.

The admin department here can help but my immediate boss has asked that i look into myself first and try to take advantage of the trip to KL.

If i can apply in BKK in person for a work permit whilst on a tourist visa so much the better . I am only going to KL for two days for a conference and to be honest I would really hate to have to lose a few hours to go join a visa queue.

If you have an entry permit issued against a bona fide tourist visa (not a 30 day "entry on arrival"), then you can apply fora work permit with this entry permit.

Once you have work permit, and if your employer qualifies to sponsor a long-term entry permit extension, you can then extend your entry permit on the basis of lawful employment.

To qualify to sponsor you for a long-term entry permit extension, employer must have 2,000,000 baht paid-in capital and four Thai employees per each foreigner employed, and must be paying you a minimum qualifying salary.

A formal Tourist visa issued by a Thai diplomatic post outside Thailand can be used to obtain a work permit - as can an ED (educational) visa.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

I was able to change my Tourist Visa to a Non Imm O

at SuanPhlu, Bkk without having to leave the country.

If you have the required documents from the employer,

I would think you can do the same for a Non Imm B

without much problem.

JMHO

:o