Year Extension When Married To A Thai National

But the information, as I mentioned, is out of date. That was published for "to support a wife who is Thai citizen or who is a permanent resident (non-Thai husband)" and that is not the type of extension you receive under order 606/2006.

Please read that for correct information. And the link to Immigration translation is working (my mistake) - my computer had an Adobe/Vista hiccup before.

Well, my wife is Thai, she's a permanent resident....and I am supporting her. This clause on the Phuket immigration site, out-dated or not, would explain why, three weeks ago my second extension application showing 400k bank deposit wasn't adequate - they also asked to see 40k/month income. Obviously the officers in Phuket refer to their own website for guidance - and not Bangkok

All offices use police order 606/2006. That is the law. In your case I suspect they used the below portion of para 7.17 to make you use the income method - if you did not have family income they should have allowed the 400k method:

married to a Thai wife, then if the

applicant does not have the said

income, then, the latest 3 months

records of the account book of any

Bank in Thailand with the account

name of either or both parties need

to have the amount of money not

less than 400,000 Baht.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortune enough to be able to show 400k+ in the bank and 40K+/month income, which, after an extra day's paper chase satisfied the captain and he agreed to submit the application to Bangkok for approval. I have to return on the 20th September to see if it's been granted.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I've a gut feeling were going to hear from more TV members reporting they have to show both income and 400K deposit in Phuket

I dont think Phuket will require BOTH 400k in the bank AND 40k/month income with Emabssy Letter - it will be the 40k from next year (not sure when the last 400k in the bank will be allowed).

Also last week I went back to get what I thought would be another 1 month while BKK approved the application of extension... pleasent surprise is the that papers were back and 1 year issued.

I asked why so fats - as this is the forst time in 4 years its taken only 1 month and was told that all processing is now done in Hat Yai ... were pleant enough about things.

I would think a new directive has come down - but it would be good if these things were clarified ahead of time.

In my case Nov 2006, Phuket Imm accepted the income only.

Out of interest, did they still want to see copies of your bank book and a statement ?

If you had been interested enough to look back through this topic you would find exactly what documents we supplied. :D Can't be bothered repeating myself :o

I've Just been to my Local immigration office this morning to inquire about a Visa extension . I'm 41, Married to Thai, have 3 Children with dual nat. I mentioned The children several times in the conversation , hoping it could be in my favour, How I didn't want to take them out of school in Thailand at the moment as they are just getting to grasps with The Thai Language. He remembered seeing me out shopping with the Children previously, the conversation was going good or so I thought. It became obvious that he had no comprehension of my concerns for my children. It was MONEY, MONEY, MONEY all the way. I kept mentioning the new rule, about only needing to show 40K income. he kept mentioning 800 - 1 million Baht in a Thai Bank account and also 40K income certified by uk embassy at a costs of 2600 baht + translation , a 1900 baht fee for the extension, and then no guarantee I was going to get it. It was becoming clear that is was as clear as mud. either he didn't know about the new rules, didn't care about them or just wanted to give me the run around, either way I have no chance to put him straight without consequences and therfore have decided that I will investigate the ' Penang Multi-O' route, and give immigration a wide berth. Sometimes its hard to live in Paradise ;-)

I've Just been to my Local immigration office this morning to inquire about a Visa extension . I'm 41, Married to Thai, have 3 Children with dual nat. I mentioned The children several times in the conversation , hoping it could be in my favour, How I didn't want to take them out of school in Thailand at the moment as they are just getting to grasps with The Thai Language. He remembered seeing me out shopping with the Children previously, the conversation was going good or so I thought. It became obvious that he had no comprehension of my concerns for my children. It was MONEY, MONEY, MONEY all the way. I kept mentioning the new rule, about only needing to show 40K income. he kept mentioning 800 - 1 million Baht in a Thai Bank account and also 40K income certified by uk embassy at a costs of 2600 baht + translation , a 1900 baht fee for the extension, and then no guarantee I was going to get it. It was becoming clear that is was as clear as mud. either he didn't know about the new rules, didn't care about them or just wanted to give me the run around, either way I have no chance to put him straight without consequences and therfore have decided that I will investigate the ' Penang Multi-O' route, and give immigration a wide berth. Sometimes its hard to live in Paradise ;-)

The same things that happened to me when I went to Chiang Mai Immigration. This is what they demanded. (40K income per/month. - A letter from the Consulate or Embassy to confirm the income if the income is over sea). Why can't they paste the new regulation (if any) on their notice board or a handout the requirement in black and white when enquiries are being make. From the forum, it seem that every officer are difer from each other about the requirement.

…Local immigration office…Visa extension . I'm 41, Married to Thai, have 3 Children with dual nat…I kept mentioning the new rule, about only needing to show 40K income. he kept mentioning 800 - 1 million Baht in a Thai Bank account and also 40K income certified by uk embassy…

What immigration office was that?

Did you already have an extension of stay for the reason of marriage to a Thai before October 1, 2006?

For what reason did you want to apply for an extension of stay this time?

Is it possible that you misunderstood the immigration official?

--

Maestro

I'm on a multi non O issued in UK. The last stamp expires in november and I'm keen to stay until march school holidays when we will return to UK for a couple of months. The officer new I was on a Non O. I could have misunderstood him, but my wife was interpreting for me and her english is fair. All I could understand was references to the Money and That I could leave Thailand. I did get the impression that he didn't have a clue, but this doesn't matter in Thailand. Who's going to tell him he's wrong. ...... exactly.... no one. He can probably go on misinterpreting the rules or whatever for the rest of his long career. Thats the Thailand I Know. Why have any rules at all. I suppose I could try another immigration office but the chances of receiving a bullshit free experience are very slim in my opinion.

OK, so it is your first application, and it is for the reason to live with Thai wife (National Police Order 606/2549, paragraph 7.17(6)

It looks like the immigration officer was indeed confused. He should not have mentioned 800k in the bank, in fact he should not have said anything about money being required in the bank. Your only option is minimum 40k monthly family income. This can be your income, your wife’s income, or a combination of both. For income earned in Thailand, evidence must be in the form of tax receipts, for foreign income in the form of a declaration certified by your consulate, and supporting documents for the income if your consulate and/or immigration want to see it.

Normally, this type of extension should go without a hitch but there have been reports by members about difficulties in some regional immigration offices. Phuket is one I remember reading about most recently.

--

Maestro

OK, so it is your first application, and it is for the reason to live with Thai wife (National Police Order 606/2549, paragraph 7.17(6)

It looks like the immigration officer was indeed confused. He should not have mentioned 800k in the bank, in fact he should not have said anything about money being required in the bank. Your only option is minimum 40k monthly family income. This can be your income, your wife’s income, or a combination of both. For income earned in Thailand, evidence must be in the form of tax receipts, for foreign income in the form of a declaration certified by your consulate, and supporting documents for the income if your consulate and/or immigration want to see it.

Normally, this type of extension should go without a hitch but there have been reports by members about difficulties in some regional immigration offices. Phuket is one I remember reading about most recently.

--

Maestro

Thanks Maestro, I think the officer was confused also, but unfortunately it doesn't matter. The reality is I need 800K and 40K income to deal with this particular office. Its a small office, There were other officers present who weren't too busy and I'm sure they could here is speal, they didn't think to put him straight. Its not something thats done here. You can't just ask to speak to the Manager and inform him that one of his staff have got it wrong or is a complete imbacile without risking consequences. My wife later told me she mentioned the new Rules to him several times, he just responded with I need 800K in the Bank.

When she mentioned we don't want to take the Kids out of school, here interpretation was that the Kids could stay in School; only I need to leave.

What can you say ;-)

--

Maestro

Thanks Maestro, I think the officer was confused also, but unfortunately it doesn't matter. The reality is I need 800K and 40K income to deal with this particular office. Its a small office, There were other officers present who weren't too busy and I'm sure they could here is speal, they didn't think to put him straight. Its not something thats done here. You can't just ask to speak to the Manager and inform him that one of his staff have got it wrong or is a complete imbacile without risking consequences. My wife later told me she mentioned the new Rules to him several times, he just responded with I need 800K in the Bank.

When she mentioned we don't want to take the Kids out of school, here interpretation was that the Kids could stay in School; only I need to leave.

What can you say ;-)

Dont we just love immigration officers who do not know the immigration laws. Pay peanuts and what do you get?

As Maestro said and you allready know the law is 40,000 Baht monthly income.

Lite Beer,

Do you really think giving them a good wage would make a difference ! ? ..... I think its much more ingrained than that. ;-)

I just had a look at the 'rules' - police order etc.. kindly referenced by Maestro.

It did put a smile on my face, Have you noticed how many references to 'competent person' are made in the Police order. Competent Person - anyone in Uniform I guess ;-)

Just glad I've got other options to extend my stay in Paradise, ..... Got to go, That bottle of Leo in the fridge is calling me... Falang... Falang ... Over here... Tee Hee ...

--

Maestro

There was some amendment to this section as what i was told by the local immigration here in Chiang Mai. They said that it will be out soon.

I just don't trust that officer. Further they are just rude, when you demanded to have a look at the new amendment/instuction/procedure.

Of the thousands of farangs, aliens, foreigners living here in Thailand and dealing with Immigration offices at least once a year, I wonder how many have a bad experience and what percentage have a no-hassle, everything OK-you go now, good experience?

Pardon the long sentence. :o

Edited by ratcatcher

I'd guess the majority have a bad experience. I've crossed the border from Mai sai to Burma a few times this year, I have a legitamate VISA, I'm not trying to stay in Thailand Illegally or use the nasty , Dirty, VISA-EXEMPTION option, but 3 out of 4 times, No smile, almost a sneer, funny smell under her nose, no Eye contact, very dismisive, made me feel like a leper. Lots of trawling through the passport looking for an excuse to give me a bad day, and allways from a woman. Land of smiles, come on guys forget it. The Last time very different , filled my departure card in for me as I had forgotten to do so, A nice smile and a nice manner.

Over in Burma, every time, very nice, smiles, profesional.

UK immigration, OK, definately miserable, but if you have the right VISA or passport a painless experience.

This is what it says in Para 7.17, clause (6) re financial requirements for spouse visa in Order of the Royal Thai Police Headquarters No. 606/2549, signed by Gen Kowait Wattana, dated Sept 8, 2006, and effective Oct 1, 2006:

In the case of an alien married to a Thai woman, any party or both must have a total income of not less than Baht 40,000 per month, except for aliens who entered the Kingdom before this Order came into force and granted a permit to stay in the Kingdom. If the alien does not have the minimum income above, he shall have an account deposit in Thailand in the name of either party or both of not less than Baht 400,000. Proof of account deposit for the previous 3 months is required.

The attached notes explain:

Only for clause (6), there shall be a letter of confirmation from a bank in Thailand and copy of bank book or proof of income of either party or both in the total amount of not less than Baht 40,000 per month, such as personal income tax return with receipt, proof of pension, proof of interest from bank account deposit or proof of other income from authority concerned.

Hope that helps. Of course, it may all have changed since then - that pretty much coincided with the coup, and it is a year ago, after all, which is a very long time in Thai Immigration history. On the other hand, it's still there on the Immigration website. Download the pdf here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606EN.pdf

Most of the links on the Immigration website, including the ones to "Required documents", don't work. I found the PDF by clicking on "Acts" at the top of the main page. It does seem to be the most recent document in there.

For those starting out, this may be useful: http://www.immigration.go.th/forum/index.php?topic=110.0 It's two years old, but there doesn't seem to be anything more recent in the forums.

Most of the links on the Immigration website, including the ones to "Required documents", don't work. I found the PDF by clicking on "Acts" at the top of the main page. It does seem to be the most recent document in there.

In Firefox – and perhaps also some other browsers – many links on that site do not open. Anyway, the information regarding requirements for extensions of stay have not yet been updated to reflect the changes that took effect on October 1, 2006.

For those starting out, this may be useful: http://www.immigration.go.th/forum/index.php?topic=110.0 It's two years old, but there doesn't seem to be anything more recent in the forums.

Ignore that old information; it is outdated. The currently valid rules are in the National Police Order 606/2549 you have linked. A link to it is also in the pinned topic “Useful Immigration Information - Visa Descriptions , Laws, addresses, download forms” at the top of this forum, and it has been linked in innumerable posts in this forum.

--

Maestro

I'm trying to work this out,

It seems from what has been stated that as long as married to Thai national and the Thai National can show a tax report of earning 40 k clear a month, the Foreigner can get a 1 year extension with no income and no money in the bank, is this correct? If it is what type of income would the Thai National have to have, self employed small bizz, company, Government job, employment at a large private company or all of the above? Just ability to show tax return of 40k clear a month?

Hope someone can help.

mozzi

Yes. It's a joint income and no matter who provides the 40k/month. That's the way I interprete the rules. Any sort of job employed by a proper company and proof of tax paid on the 40k and details about the employer/contract of employment/etc. In the case of self employed Thai then Immigration would need details and accounts of their company.

However, it would be interesting to see the reaction from an Immigration Officer when the Farang declares no income. Might not meet with the approval of the officer.

Edited by LivinginKata

The tax records for the previous 3 months or yearly filing is what is required of a Thai national.

lopburi,

Don't you think your statement should read:

"The tax records for the previous 3 months AND yearly filing is what is required of the income earner(s) Thai and/or foreigner."

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

My post was in answer to the Mozzie post and that was talking about a Thai National. If the foreign person is the source of funds and working in Thailand then they would be subject to the requirements. Originally they required three months but after annual tax return time they seem to have used last years return. This is a requirement that is not clearly defined in the 606/2006 order so expect there are various interpretations.

Thanks Guys for the replies on this one,

When I spoke to an immigration officer she claimed that the governments biggest concern was money being removed from the country, I guess another back lash from the previous government, it had occurred to me that it would be very easy to dump a borrowed amount of money to claim the visa and then return the money after the visa is cleared.

I asked the immigration officer if I was able to put a lump sum in a locked Thai Bank account would that be acceptable

e.g.. The lottery bank locked for 3 years, the immigration officer said that would be acceptable, so that may be another option.

mozzi

I'd guess the majority have a bad experience. I've crossed the border from Mai sai to Burma a few times this year, I have a legitimate VISA, I'm not trying to stay in Thailand Illegally or use the nasty , Dirty, VISA-EXEMPTION option, but 3 out of 4 times, No smile, almost a sneer, funny smell under her nose, no Eye contact, very dismissive, made me feel like a leper. Lots of trawling through the passport looking for an excuse to give me a bad day, and always from a woman. Land of smiles, come on guys forget it. The Last time very different , filled my departure card in for me as I had forgotten to do so, A nice smile and a nice manner.

Over in Burma, every time, very nice, smiles, profesional.

UK immigration, OK, definitely miserable, but if you have the right VISA or passport a painless experience.

Exactly the same experience for me here .

Awkward isn't it ? That the Myanmar immgr is always saying hello and wishes me a good day .

You wouldn't think that in the first place , but it does !

Hi you all, maybe someone can point me in the correct direction & web link.

My caption says it all. I've just had a careful look through the NEW Phuket immigration web site and can't see to find any useful information on the financial requirents for a one year extension based on a Farang married to a Thai national.

I've been living here full time in Thailand for the past 8 years on one year extensions and my TM arrival card is 8+ years old. Back then we only needed to show 200,000 baht in the bank. Then it became 400,000 baht. Now I'm told by Phuket Immigration it's 800,000 baht in bank for at least 3 months prior to extension application. Is this true ? Various TV member give conflicting advice.

As it happens, last year I could not meet the 800,000 baht for 3 months and to prevent getting chucked out of Thailand opted for the 45,000 baht/month joint income 'rule'. Again confusing advise as some members say 40,000 baht/month ??

Now, we can provide all the documentation for the 45,000 baht joint income as I have a WP and salary and my wife has her own income, but it's a lot of copies of every document the immigration office can think off. That's why we prefer the 'money-in-the-bank' application.

Can anyone point me to a website link that gives easy to read and concise information on my question.

Thanks in advance.

The monthly income is 40,00 Baht a month.

There is no money in the bank option unless you are over the age of 50 then it is 800,000 Baht based on retirement which means you will not be able to work.

What happens if the applicante is under 50, married to a Thai national, neither has any income but have over 800,000baht in the bank?

In the past 400,000 baht in the bank (for previous 3 months) was acceptable. It has been reported that some Immigration officers are not accepting only money-in-the-bank.

Extract from Phuket Immigration web site ...

10. Financial documentation:

- Bank statement and copy of bank account showing at least 400,000.- Baht deposit

- Employment evidence, work permit, and tax documentation showing an income of at least 40,000.- Baht.

The problem with that criteria is that there in no OR between the 2 items, so some officers interprete that both are required.

It's confusing ... :o