Utility Bills For Rented House

I will be renting a house very soon, and when I do I want to have utility bills sent to me in my name - something that's normal for rentals in my experience abroad. I am told that in Thailand utility bills can be only in the name of the owner of the house. I shall be most grateful if someone can tell me whether or not this is so.

ya got buckleys ,

thai partner is the best case senario ........................

:o ??

Sorry, don't follow you.

I asked if a farang tenant have utility bills in his name (or jointly in his and thai partner's names)? Or are they always in thai landlord/owner's name.

ya got buckleys ,

thai partner is the best case senario ........................

:o ??

Sorry, don't follow you.

I asked if a farang tenant have utility bills in his name (or jointly in his and thai partner's names)? Or are they always in thai landlord/owner's name.

I can't answer the question, but am in a similar position that I will want to rent in the near future.

It's a good question, because when proving foreign residence to banks in Europe they usually want to see a utility bill made out in your name with your rented address.

overwhelming majority in the landlords name ,

odd a/c in Thai partners name

under the circumstances you describe , zip in farang name ..........................

I've never seen or even heard of this for a rented property.

The closest I've come is actually seeing the utility bill and paying the landlord that amount.

Many landlords quote an inflated rate in the rental contract which gives them extra revenue.

Most charge extra for accommodation with a/c AND make a premium on the extra electricity usage.

Cake (having plus eating).

Would a rental contract (plus rental bills/receipts) not be a proof of residence ?

I will be renting a house very soon, and when I do I want to have utility bills sent to me in my name - something that's normal for rentals in my experience abroad. I am told that in Thailand utility bills can be only in the name of the owner of the house. I shall be most grateful if someone can tell me whether or not this is so.

Electric and water must be in the name of the listed owner on the house paper. (tabien bahn). Those can not be in anyone else's name.

Cable and telephone can be in anyone's name, as long as you have a copy of the owners ID card and house papers, and the owner signs a form allowing it.

So, you have to clarify what you mean by "utilities".

You USED to not be able to get the electrical and water meters in your name as a renter. Also most homes, buildings, condos, etc. already have existing meters under the owners' name and transfer of billing isn't just a name change on the bill... it's a matter of changing who has "owns" the meters. That's why a lot of people will say you can't. You can (you'll need a power of attorney from the owner... which many don't like to give out, + copies of his/her house registration for that property + copies of his/her ID card... or the owner needs to go with you along with said documents, and of course you'll need copies of your rental contract), but you're going to need to find an owner willing to transfer ownership of the meters (and hence bills) to your name. I don't allow it with my tenants simply because there isn't much downside risk to not having the electric/water bills in tenant's name (and it means extra trips to the water and electric company every time I get new tenants). Telephone bills however can easily blossom out of control though, so I do ask my tenants to transfer my phone lines to their own name whenever possible - I do make a few exceptions now and then. Not to mention, changing the telephone bill to the tenant's name takes about 10 minutes, so it's a one stop deal (meet to sign the rental contract + transfer phone ownership) at the local True telephone service center in any mall. Even better now that they have those True coffee shops set up in house.

:o

We rent a house in Phuket, 12 month contract.

Water bill is in the landlords name, but is given directly to us to pay, so we pay the correct amount.

Usually about 100 baht a month.

Electricity bill is in the landlords name and sent direct to her. We get a seperate bill for electricity from her with the rent bill.

The landlord reads the meter on the 27th of every month and we pay 6 Baht per unit used. (usually about 3000 - 3500 Baht/Month)

I suspect that the correct amount is less than half this. (maybe a lot less)

There are 12 units in our complex, if she is making 2000 Baht on each per month, that is 24000 Baht.

No way that she would give that up.

Phone is in her name.

If we do not use anything, we do not pay anything.

Make 1 phone call, and we pay the bill line rental included.

As i have an internet connection, she deems that i am using the house phone, and as such have to pay the line rental.

Internet conection in is my wifes name. Cannot be in my name as i am not thai.

We get the bill direct and pay it (1070 baht/month)

Cable is supplied by the owner and included in the rent.

Having said the, she is a good landlord.

Any problems are immediately fixed at her cost.

Air con is serviced and cleaned every 6 months, no charge.

Area is sprayed for mosquitoes twice a year.

She put in extra security lighting not long ago.

She employs a lady 6 days a week to keep the pace tidy, and organise Mtce etc.

Night security staff are employes to sit and sleep at the front of the building at night.

Hope this is of some help.

I'd like to thank everyone for the helpful - if by and large discouraging - replies.

My reasons for asking were three fold.

For exactly the purpose specified by Artamus's post - proof opf address.

To pre-empt 'loading' of the bills by the landlord - I've suffered unreasonably from that practice previously.

I want to build up a record of co-residence with my girlfriend for the purposes of applying for a schengen visa for her in the foreseeable future.

It looks like I'll have to try and achieve 1 & 3 with phone bill in my name and the internet bill in hers; and try by other means to mitigate no 2.

Can phone and/or internet bills be in 2 names?

Perhaps I cn get an address letter from my consulate nd use it for no 1.

If someone has info on these two thoughts it would be a help.

... Telephone bills however can easily blossom out of control though, so I do ask my tenants to transfer my phone lines to their own name whenever possible - I do make a few exceptions now and then. Not to mention, changing the telephone bill to the tenant's name takes about 10 minutes, so it's a one stop deal (meet to sign the rental contract + transfer phone ownership) at the local True telephone service center in any mall. Even better now that they have those True coffee shops set up in house. ...
This is interesting, a quick question, are there any requirements that the renter has to meet from the telephone company perspective that you know of, e.g. Visa class, Work permit, in your experience of doing this ?

TIA

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

I only have 4 foreign tenants at the moment. 2 opted for no phone (they said they preferred to use their cell phones), one is renting one of our older houses where the phone is in my grandmother's name (and we chose not to bother with changing that), and the final one, was a transfer and True - Fashion Island only asked for copies of the foreigner's passport, no questions reguarding work permit or visa (although they did copy the visa as well.... not sure what visa class it was, but he's been here for 5-6 years now).

:o