Confused - Need Help

Hi,

I am now on a retirement visa and I am going to marry a Thai girl. After reading many topics I have some questions:

1. Should I extend my retirement visa or the fact that I will be married to a Thai will give me other better visa options ?

2. On extantion of my retirement visa, should I have 800k in a Thai bank or can I have it abroad and bring a certificate from my bank ?

3. In case I must have 800k in Thai bank, will I be able in the future to take the money (originated abroad) outside of Thailand ?

Thank you

box

1. Yes this is still probably your least hassle free option. Other options are marriage visa based on

Bt40k/month combined income for you and wife. Immigration however tend to

make this a more difficult way to go.

2. With a Non O 12 month extension the account needs to be in Thailand and also

funds need to be in the account 3 months prior to the extension date.

3. Yes, when the funds arrive ask your local bank for a foreign exchange transaction form

which details the transfer. Having said that what are you going to live on here ?

Naka.

1. Should I extend my retirement visa or the fact that I will be married to a Thai will give me other better visa options ?

An extension based on marriage gives you the option to apply for a work permit.

--

Maestro

Thanks guys.

Suppose I transfer 800k to Thailand, will I be able to transfer back the money in the future ?

And, do I need to make this transfer if I am married to a Thai ?

thank you

Yes, you can transfer the money out again, and yes you need to transfer the money even if married to a Thai. Being married doesn't have anything to do with your "O" visa for retirement or the extension.

This make no sense - according to this rule a poor man married to a Thai can not get a one year visa ? From what I heard, Thai embassies abroad do give a one year visa to anyone married to a Thai without any requirements, only to show the marriage papers. This is very strange.

box

1. Married to a Thai you can obtain a non immigrant O visa to visit. Some Consulates will issue these in the one year validity multi entry type and others will only issue single entry expecting you to extend your stay on a yearly basis inside Thailand if you intend to live there.

2. If you wish to extend you need to show proof of an ability to provide for your wellbeing. In this case it would be 40k family monthly income which could be either spouse or a combination.

3. If you intend to use retirement for extension of stay the requirement would be 65k/800k or combination if single or married to a Thai.

This make no sense - according to this rule a poor man married to a Thai can not get a one year visa ? From what I heard, Thai embassies abroad do give a one year visa to anyone married to a Thai without any requirements, only to show the marriage papers. This is very strange.

box

Say that again !

Naka.