^ Although you'll probably have to pay over stay (from when it runs out) so the fine overall could be a darn sight more than a 1,000 Baht!

Why would he have to pay overstay on a work permit?? If they revoke his visa, you usually get 7 days stamped into your passport, if he does not go to the immigration after quitting work, the visa in his passport will remain valid until he leaves the country or he is called into immigration to have the visa cancelled.

^ Although you'll probably have to pay over stay (from when it runs out) so the fine overall could be a darn sight more than a 1,000 Baht!

Why would he have to pay overstay on a work permit?? If they revoke his visa, you usually get 7 days stamped into your passport, if he does not go to the immigration after quitting work, the visa in his passport will remain valid until he leaves the country or he is called into immigration to have the visa cancelled.

but according to Dr. patpong. The visa will expire within 7 days after the working permit got terminated.

Cheers

I will try to get a second regular passport. I didn't have problems with Thai immigration except for one visa run in Ranong where they did not believe that my previous visa run by flight was valid and they hassled me around for almost one hour asking about flight number etc. and having the passport examined by their chief officer.

I had difficulties in Indonesia two times where they "insisted" I am not a tourist.

It should be possible to get a second passport if there are any Israel stamps inside (wonder if Israel like Switzerland stamps passports?) or if travel to Israel is intended. I do not know if "Muslim" stamps count when visiting Israel.

I know about some second passport programs in central America which are quite expensive, Brasil seems to be quite easy for getting citizenship.

Ok. Just an update so you know what actually happened.

My WP was done through the one-stop-service on Ratchada.

I went yesterday.

It was seven days after I finished work. They cancelled the wp, then moved to immigration.

They cancelled my nonO visa, effective yesterday.

I asked for the seven days. She told me 'you had seven days already'! So the 7 days is dated from the date you finish work not from the day you hand back the wp.

Today I had to go to Suan Plu. Paid overstay 200 baht (one day). Then had my visa extended for 21 days (14 + 7) for 1900 baht. That gives me time to get new wp from new company, at which time they'll reissue my one year visa.

Pretty painless really, and all without leaving the country.

FYI: they now have a free pocket book - in Thai and English - entitled 'Work Permit Handbook" published by The Office of Foreign Workers Administration Department of Employment.

It's excellent, and has everything you need to know about getting a visa using the Ratchada office.

As an aside, the most difficult thing about Suan Plu is the car parking. Almost impossible to get a park there. If you're driving, try the small soi directly opposite the exit from immigration. There's parking in the soi and only a short walk to the office.

If you're driving, try the small soi directly opposite the exit from immigration. There's parking in the soi and only a short walk to the office.

uh-oh, why did you have to reveal this secret :o ?

there is a temple down this soi where you can park (usually full :D ) and they charge. an other option is the post office next door but don't count on driving out when you want to - people park there in any way possible with their gear/brake engaged!!!

opalhort

As far as I know it is the employers responsibility, and they get fined if they dont return the WP, not you. This was clearly communicated to a friend when the contract was up, after the time had run out, the ex employer was trying to get him to pay the fine!! Obviously he told them to sod off :o

Thaivisa is full of 'a friend of a friend' comments.

The true story is that the company has 15 days to report the termination of employment. After that time they get fined.

The foreigner has 7 days to also report. After that there's a 1000 baht fine plus overstay.

The liability is with both parties.