Tailor Question

Mestizo

Sorry all, I know the "where can I find a good tailor" topic has been beaten into the ground... My question is a bit different, and I was not able to turn anything up looking at previous posts.

I will be moving to Chiang Mai long term later next month (Nov 26, just in time to miss the T.V. pissup :o ) I am an IT guy and also American (read I'm fat). Everything I have seen/ read about Thai tailors is in regards to dress clothes, business suits, and the like. However, I am more interested in having normal everyday clothes made. My question is, if I bring a shirt like this:

p86223c.jpg

or like this:

p86225c.jpg

will they be able to duplicate it in pretty reasonable fashion? Additionally, any ball park estimates on what I could expect to pay for this service would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance!

No real need to copy ones you have, as that style is available in most of the larger department stores, in good quality material, and at a reasonable cost. (300-500 baht) Cheaper varieties are also available at most of the local Thai markets.

No real need to copy ones you have, as that style is available in most of the larger department stores, in good quality material, and at a reasonable cost. (300-500 baht) Cheaper varieties are also available at most of the local Thai markets.

Thanks! However, I think I am going to have great difficulty finding my size (American XXL or 3XL). That's why I was hoping that I could easily have some duplicated in my size... I don't want to end up being that farang walking around in a skin tight Singha T-shirt, 3 sizes too small :o

Thanks Again,

Mestizo

It can definitely be done. I brought a shirt to a tailor to be copied and they did a fine job. That was around five years ago and I still have the shirts.

If I remember correctly, it was around 400 baht for each shirt. They were made from cotton, with two buttons on the front, and two pockets on the lower front. They were large size, probably a bit larger than what you could commonly find at the night bazaar.

I think you can go to just about any tailor and have it done. Mine was on Loy Kroh road, don't remember the name.

Thanks! However, I think I am going to have great difficulty finding my size (American XXL or 3XL). That's why I was hoping that I could easily have some duplicated in my size... I don't want to end up being that farang walking around in a skin tight Singha T-shirt, 3 sizes too small :o

Thanks Again,

Mestizo

I'm around that size and have no problem buying shirts off the rack in Chiang Rai so Chiang Mai should be a snap.

Now shoes are a different matter entirely.

Sure can be done , my wife is a tailor / designer , got an excellent

Tailor working for her , making perfect copies of everything you put

in front of him .

Although I think you will be able to find some clothes , but rarely

in your taste , L in Thailand is M in the West , so triple x will be Quadruple x........

The largest shirts I can find here are double x (sometimes triple) , I have got xl .

To find a good Tailor is not that easy , the Indian style businesses are fine ,

but the quality depends on what people are working for them ,

they do not make it themselves , instead they bring it to people

like my wife , if it gets to difficult for their handymen to handle .

Altogether you should be fine though , shirts are not difficult to make ,

but probably will charge you a bit more then normal because of

larger materials used .

Not in Chiang Mai, but in Bangkok

There are street vendors on Sukhumvit near Soi 13 who sell good-looking polo shirts (ie Callaway golf shirts) and other styles in sizes up to 5xl.. They are big enough to use as a tent and the prices are about 200 baht depending on your negotiating skills and whether you are willing to buy several. They come in many sizes (all huge!) and colors.

So, now you know there are XXXXX shirts available in Thailand "off the rack". I can't attest to the authenticity of the shirts.