Q Bar Raid

marquess

According to this mornings post, the Q bar was raided on Friday by plain clothes police. The usual drug test were carried out, over 100 foreigners were taken to the local police station and fined for not carrying passports. The amount of the fine, was not disclosed. Apparently there is is a raid on a different bar every Friday. Comments or further news please.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As part of the government's efforts to bring moral rectitude to a city famed for vice, Bangkok police raided a night club popular among foreigners early yesterday to perform urine tests and check passports, authorities said.

More than 50 plainclothes and uniformed policemen, under orders of Deputy Interior minister Pracha Maleenont, closed the American owned Q Bar for the remainder of the night, stopped customers from leaving and administered urine tests to 373 people, said Sgt-Major Manote Panyatana.

Two people were found to have "purple urine" meaning that they had taken drugs but police were performing further retests to see if they had taken illicit or prescription drugs, Manote said.

Of the 373 people tested, 104 :D didn't have passports with them as required in Thailand, and were taken to a police station where they were fined and released. He did not know the amount of the fine. :o

"We do random checks at a different bar every Friday. It's by the orders of the police commander and policy of the government to be strict about drugs," Manote said.

"We did the raid last night because the minister requested it... he ordered us to make arrests, and he's in command, so we had to make the arrests," he said.

The Nation/ Associated Press Aug.16 2004

"Of the 373 people tested, 104 didn't have passports with them as required in Thailand..."

I thought it was acceptable to have a passport photocopy to hand rather than actually having to carry the real-thing around with you all the time. Perhaps someone could clarify this?

I thought it was acceptable to have a passport photocopy to hand rather than actually having to carry the real-thing around with you all the time. Perhaps someone could clarify this?

I've started a new post on this very subject under Visas/Residency etc...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15124

Good question though Harry, I'd like to know myself.

I went to the Q Bar once.

That was enough.

"Of the 373 people tested, 104  didn't have passports with them as required in Thailand..."

were taken to a police station where they were fined and released

At least it lets wanted criminals know that the only penalty for refusing to identify yourself is merely a small fine, it seems. No follow-up on these folks? :o

"Of the 373 people tested, 104  didn't have passports with them as required in Thailand..."

At least it lets wanted criminals know that the only penalty for refusing to identify yourself is merely a small fine, it seems. No follow-up on these folks? :o

The Q Bar is full of pretentious, half arsed snobs in black roll necks waffling on about graphic design and their TGF's nose job.

When I went there I had an ok time but it was standing room only and a vodka and Red Bull was about 3oo bt.

It's the bar that considered itself too upmarket to be in Kaosan Rd.

shellman, my dear,

it's Brunei ..... why you want to find it in the thai papers?

There is something that still amazing me, as for the visa crackdown last year, This website is the place in world where you can information that you CAN NOT find elsewhere, include if you ask the Thai officials.

http://www.brunei-online.com/bb/mon/aug16w14.htm

Whatever , everybody well know it's necessary to to checl Brunei if you need info about Thailand by night ... lol

Gooooooooooooooood Job

Roxanne

We don't know whether those 104 people arrested for not carrying passports were carrying photocopies or not. My guess is they weren't.

It's pretty much only the more fussy, anal-retentive resident types who go to the trouble to make and carry photocopies, don't you think? The rest of us just think it will never happen to them. And you have to admit, the risk is pretty low.

But ... I always carry a Thai driving licence. Been stopped once and asked for my passport, produced the driving licence, and was on my way.

Would a Thai driving licence have worked at the Q Bar that night? Only those who were carrying them can say for sure ...

As for the police checking a different bar every Friday night, I have my doubts. The Q Bar's Richard has been outspoken with the press in his opposition to the new social order, early closing times, etc and my guess is he is being selectively persecuted.

I don't particularly like the Q Bar myself, but I like the new social order far less.

Edited by sabaijai

That was enough.

I thought you had no money reading the other threads.

QBar is a 1,000 Baht entry fee bar with 200Baht drinks. :o

Reading this link from the http://www.brunei-online.com/bb/mon/aug16w14.htm it is most certainly that another batch of toursits from Brunei (big spenders-youth) will give Thailand a miss for the next holiday season.

Living up to the rules is one thing - Carrying the document that is worth more than your ticket out is another thing. Copies are not accepted, driving-licenses are! However howmany tourists do you know..... that go out to.... have fun at the Q-Bar.... just because it happens to be the biggest thing for younger tourists as published in somany magazines incl. airport, and carry their passports?!

We all know about not taking drugs to avoid life in jail. However whom of the freshly tourist knows about that new-confusing law that requires you to take your passport into a night-club instead of a copy?

And with regards to the bunch that replied in a one faced way.... Dont speak unless you have been there. Q-Bar is indeed a very nice place to meet nice people incl. some of the High respected society persons. And yes, the Bed supper club is also a part of that. And if you dont feel home at that place just because you dont fitt, well than let it be! As well as I wont be going to Srinakarin as some members suggested just to gossip.

I don't know if the qbar failed to make a payment. Possibly. But regardless, Thailand is making a mistake by harassing people whose only crime is going to a bar -- and whether crusty old folks here like the qbar or not is not the issue.

It tells tourists and visiting businesspeople that they are not wanted. And based on the recent behavior and police-state tactics of this administration, they aren't.

so if i read right these punters were just out for a drink - they could be locals or visitors

the last thing i would want to carry on me for a night out is a passport

surely something the size of an ID card (same as thais have) would suffice

maybe i can get my passport made into one of those little key ring thingies

:o

ps i did have the misfortune to meet one of the QBAR Dj's a few weeks back

not impressed

sbj etc.,

but now that you remind me, i shall become anal enough to copy the info page of my passport, along with the entry( +visa ) stamp.

it may assuage the minions, while keeping the original safe

tnx again

btw will a copy be good enough for my bank? (Bankok)

That was enough.

I thought you had no money reading the other threads.

QBar is a 1,000 Baht entry fee bar with 200Baht drinks. :o

I had money in 2002, besides - it was still too expensive.

Strange, and also somewhat confusing concerning passports being such an issue. True to form, Yes thai law does say foreigners must carry passports with them at all times, and one wonders if copies do you any good?, of which some places it is OK and other places it is no go. A Thai Drivers license does help but at same token once they know your a foreigner, some hard case uniform chocolate boy might want to see the real McCoy from time to time. Also bring one to such as a bar increases likelyhood you can lose it. So now what was the fine for not having a passport since they couldn't bang the patrons with a drug rap?????

Daveyo

If I was in Bangkok on holiday I think I would be pretty upset if I had my night out ruined by a forced urine test without probable cause. I can't imagine that this continued practice will have any positive effect on whatever problem they think they might be rectifying and it certainly won't leave any favourable impressions on the city by those tourists who might be effected.

I see it didn't take long for someone too instantly assume that the Purple Urine samples belonged to criminals. What happened to innocent until proven guilty. Didn't the first world dispense with that 'guilt by association' attitude into the dark ages, or have some people just been here too long. By jumping on the myopic bandwagon of Thai thinking you give up any first world status that one's forefathers sacrificed their lives for.

Why don't we wait just a little longer for the bullshit evidence to surface before we hang these people, after all the Qbar IS supposed to house the city's finest and they just wouldn't be involved in anything so crass. :D

Standard 'picked off the street' fine for non conforming to this particular BS extract of "use it when we need it law" is Bt.2000. However, judging by the obvious affluence of the patrons it could well jump considerably. :D

Having/showing a Thai licence will only help you depending on the current orders handed down, i.e. if it is merely an exercise in Thai International security showmanship for the benefit of Foreign Office Political relations, then the licence will do. If however it is as I've mentioned in other posts a 'Police Promotion Program' then the licence will not suffice and a donation will be extracted. :o

It would help those of us ( any visitor choosing this part of the world to vacate or reside) to have these anti-tourist bullyboy tactics posted on all WWW. Perhaps then the crony brigade headed up by 'Hier' Toxine might just notice the damage being done to the industry as it bleeds into HIS own empire. No doubt as soon as his pocket is tapped all will be suspended...permanently. :D

'The world is my oyster not my tomb"

Teach

Not posting a long time did me forget my ID....

Anyway, so many comments and so much wrong info...

Predjuce against some places and people seems to exist in an extended way on this forum... Does the wrong info only etends to night clubs or maybe also to other info posted? Go figure.

To summarise previous statements and comments..

====

Copy of passport was accepted at the Q bar raid. As long it was accompagnied by a copy of the actual visa and entry stamp. :D

Also 'normal' people go to Q bar.

Vodka red bull is not 300 B but 220 Baht. :D

Q bar too upmarket for Kaosan Road??

Ever heard of diversified entertainment in any city worldwide??

This statement means that all entertainment venues are not in Kaosan Road because they feel so much better?

Maybe they are reaching a different public.

See places like Zantika, Bed, Escudo, Booze etc. at Kaosoan... say no more, Kaosan is just a little tourist strip in Bangkok. :D

Is Richard too outspoken or is he just one of the view who dares to speak up! Guess that we are all afraid to publicly state our opinions. Pretty sad, isn't it? :D

1000 Baht entry fee at Q....! :wub:

Just tell us that you never been there!

Monday to Thursday: 400 Baht - 2 coupons for 200 Baht towards drinks.

Friday to Sunday: 600 Baht - 2 coupons for 200 Baht towards drinks.

Buy a bottle and you receive free entry at your ticket the next time(s).

BTW, best drinks (quantity of alcohol) are served at Q.

Go and try yourself.

Q bar failed a payment to the MIB?

No, they never seem to pay and never will. All licenses are in order and there is no reason to pay other than official regulated payments.

Or do you all agree with the 'underworld'? :o

This affecting tourism in Thailand?

IMHO it does. Had already two queries from people outside Thailand. Entertainment is one of the pilars of tourism industry as a whole.

==========

Anyway, the above indicates that I both frequent visit Q bar and I actually enjoy it to go there. Besides Q I go to many other night time venues, being it well known or less well known places. All venues deserve a proper discussion, not only the throwing of unsubstantial 'facts'. Hope you all agree with this.

The issue at hand is thew new closing times which is enforced upon all of us. Reason being?? Zoning is out of the window since some areas within previous set zones are also closed at 1 AM. This government is only out to crush a few bad boys. My advise is to start looking at the source. Where is the drugs coming from and who is/are facilitating the drugs trade in Thailand. For sure this is neither Q bar nor any reated persons. Who then? Make up your mind and think...

See you all at Q bar, with passport .......

Manote said.

"We did the raid last night because the minister requested it... he ordered us to make arrests, and he's in command, so we had to make the arrests," he said.

You all missed the key statement

QBar is a 1,000 Baht entry fee bar with 200Baht drinks

That's why it was raided = a farang making too much money at one of the "trades" they like to keep for themselves

- after all, according to the Foreign Business Act (1999) and the Royal Decree (1979), foreign owners of businesses are not allowed to do manual work in their own bars or clubs, even if teaching the staff how to do it - if you doubt that, read it very carefully cross referencing the two laws, then ask yourself how many farang owners you see working behing their bars in this country compared to your own country.

Not posting a long time did me forget my ID....

Anyway, so many comments and so much wrong info...

Predjuce against some places and people seems to exist in an extended way on this forum... Does the wrong info only etends to night clubs or maybe also to other info posted? Go figure.

To summarise previous statements and comments..

====

Copy of passport was accepted at the Q bar raid. As long it was accompagnied by a copy of the actual visa and entry stamp. :D

Also 'normal' people go to Q bar.

Vodka red bull is not 300 B but 220 Baht. :D

Q bar too upmarket for Kaosan Road??

Ever heard of diversified entertainment in any city worldwide??

This statement means that all entertainment venues are not in Kaosan Road because they feel so much better?

Maybe they are reaching a different public.

See places like Zantika, Bed, Escudo, Booze etc. at Kaosoan... say no more, Kaosan is just a little tourist strip in Bangkok. :D

Is Richard too outspoken or is he just one of the view who dares to speak up! Guess that we are all afraid to publicly state our opinions. Pretty sad, isn't it? :D

1000 Baht entry fee at Q....! :wub:

Just tell us that you never been there!

Monday to Thursday: 400 Baht - 2 coupons for 200 Baht towards drinks.

Friday to Sunday: 600 Baht - 2 coupons for 200 Baht towards drinks.

Buy a bottle and you receive free entry at your ticket the next time(s).

BTW, best drinks (quantity of alcohol) are served at Q.

Go and try yourself.

Q bar failed a payment to the MIB?

No, they never seem to pay and never will. All licenses are in order and there is no reason to pay other than official regulated payments.

Or do you all agree with the 'underworld'? :o

This affecting tourism in Thailand?

IMHO it does. Had already two queries from people outside Thailand. Entertainment is one of the pilars of tourism industry as a whole.

==========

Anyway, the above indicates that I both frequent visit Q bar and I actually enjoy it to go there. Besides Q I go to many other night time venues, being it well known or less well known places. All venues deserve a proper discussion, not only the throwing of unsubstantial 'facts'. Hope you all agree with this.

The issue at hand is thew new closing times which is enforced upon all of us. Reason being?? Zoning is out of the window since some areas within previous set zones are also closed at 1 AM. This government is only out to crush a few bad boys. My advise is to start looking at the source. Where is the drugs coming from and who is/are facilitating the drugs trade in Thailand. For sure this is neither Q bar nor any reated persons. Who then? Make up your mind and think...

See you all at Q bar, with passport .......

Just wanted to say good for you mate. You've said exactly what I was thinking.

Guys on the Forum, surely we've all lived here long enough to know that if you want to go out somewhere a little bit nicer than the delightful bars of Na Na or the backstreet bars of the Khaosan Road you're gonna need some sort of ID. This isn't exactly something thats happened overnight. It was said in the original posting that this thing happens at a different bar each week.

Admittedly Q-bar should have got it together by now and started asking everybody to bring ID. Look at all the problems that Bed Supper had not so long ago. The 2 places aren't exactly a million miles from each other now are they. Maybe its the kick up the arse they needed.

And in its defense (as people are calling it a hole with pretentious..... erm people), its not pretious I'm kinda getting the feeling that some peoples egos are a bit bruised because they've come to some sort of a normal bar and they're finding that they're not the most attractive and popular guy in the room anymore.

Oooh could it be??? Go back to Na Na if thats the case, make ya self feel better love