Claiming Vat Back?

Hi

How do i go about claiming VAT back, does this have to be done at the airport or can it be done in Bangkok, does it take long? as we have saved reciepts for everything, and we are here for 4 months. Can you keep the receipts still, even after you've claimed the VAT back, or is it best to claim the VAT back through my company accounts back in the UK. complete novice, never done it before, any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Emma

Its actually very easy but I fear I am going to disapoint you anyway.

You have to claim it back at the airport.

Before you go through security you goto the VAT Office which is clearly signposted.

You have to show the goods.

They stamp your paperwork (the vat refund form you had completed in the shop!!!)

You then go through security to the VAT office planeside and repeat the process and get your money.

Simple as long has you have the goods, receipt, and vat form with you.

However this is the bit that is going to disapoint you.

You have to claim it within 60 days of purchase!

I am also disapointed as I have spent a shed load of money and don't leave for 6 months. Oh well the up side is I am in Thailand for 6 months and that has to be worth something.

Sgunn; good explanation!

One other thing;

Other people I have assisted (at airport) also though that they could refund VAT on everything (restaurant bills/hotel Etc.) and I had to make it clear to them that the rules are only GOODS being new+original packing with VAT form filled at shop can get refund.

Now; the "new"/original packing part can be discussed if one buys say a watch/laptop or whatever that needs checking/installation Etc. but it makes good sense to put it back in original packing prior having to show it at VAT office at airport.

Cheers!