Correct Road To A Non-o Visa

Hi all,

I'm 40 y/o from the U.S. I need some help on what is the correct path to take on ultimately getting a Non-O immigrant visa and living permanently with my "in the future" Thai wife.

Here is my plan:

1. Move to Thailand sometime in late October, early November timeframe. At this point, I'll would be living with my fiance. I currently have a bank account in Thailand which contains a small amount less than the required 400k. My job responsibilites are all outside of Thailand.

2. February, we plan on getting married, at which time, I understand I can then apply for a non-o visa.

I have a meeting with my manager (and his manager) tomorrow morning to discuss details of this move. So, any relevant information would be much appreciated.

I can provide more detail if needed, but at this point and with the facts presented, What Visa's should I now be applying for?

Cheers.

Michael

Assuming that your company is not interested in opening a Thai subsidiary or Representative Office, you are not eligible for any non-immigrant visa at this time.

So - your choices are to come here on 30 day "entries on arrival", or to get a series of 60-day tourist visas. If your job entails frequent tavel outside Thailand, then just use 30 day entries for the time being.

Once you obtain Thai marriage registration papers, you can apply at a Thai diplomatic post for a Class O visa - which will normally be routinely granted. Within Asia, this will normally be justa 90 day visa.

When you enter Thailand with that Class O visa, you will be given a 90-day entry permit. When you are within 30 days of expiration of that entry permit, you may apply for a one-year extension. To do this, you must have 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account that bears your name, and you must document that this money was remitted from outside Thailand.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

To clarify a little further - the marriage must be registered at the Amphur. It is the document given here - one for wife, one for you - that has to be produced at the Consulate.

At the time you apply for this visa (Non-Imm 'O') you will have to produce other documents - a photo-copy of your wife's ID and so on. This can be found on the web - I'll try to find the URL.

I would advise a (more expensive) one-year multiple-entry visa if you are travelling much. I got this in Singapore very easily. Was offered it in Kuala Lumpur but made the mistake of taking the three-month single-entry.

All this predicates that you have gone through the marriage process - not just the blessing with the nine monks, family, friends, sin sot, et cetera. Without the formal marriage certificate you are nowhere.

You then receive at port of entry a stamp allowing you to stay in-Kingdom for a certain period, usually 90 days. Within the last 30 days of this period you may apply for a one-year extension to your stay at a local Immigration office. This is where you have to produce evidence of ability to support your wife (40k per month transferred in, or a lump sum of 400k baht).

Note that it is possible to obtain a work permit if you are on a Non-Imm 'O' visa / extension, should you want to work here legitimately. But that is another story that you should not consider for the next few months. Get used to Thailand first, then we can assist further.

I would advise a (more expensive) one-year multiple-entry visa if you are travelling much. I got this in Singapore very easily.

Up2U

This is off topic, but had been great help to know what documentation you provided to the Thai Embassy in Singapore and if you have to provide financial documentation in addition to the compulsory ones. Did you got this visa recently!

Thanks & regards

:o