Who Says Bangkok Taxi Drivers Are Bad?

AA1

This morning I had to go to Suun Phlu for my 90 report. I got a taxi, said "Suun Phlu", big smile from taxi driver and Khap" and off we set. The trafiic going into town was solid & strationary so intead of a 'U' turn to gone it we headed out -

Maybe he knows his own route to avoid it,

Maybe he is going to use he Expressway to get round it.

After a while I realised he had passed both these options

SO

Maybe he has misunderstood me!!

"Suun Phlu, by Sathorn" I say to him - "Oh. not Suvarnabhumi!". We 'U' turn and end up passing where we had started from. At this point I heard PEEOP from the front and saw that the driver had switched the meter back to start again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We then proceeded to Suun Phlu where I paid the meter and said "You are a good man - you turn back meter". There was no need for him to have done this as it was a JOINT missunderstanding so more than compensated him for his honesty.

All we read on the Forum is members decrying taxi drivers. In my 6 years living here I have barely had any problems at all and 99% are extremely pleasant. AAfter todays example I felt that the other side should be mentioned in the Topics.

Keep up the good work Taxi drivers!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is an exceptional story - never heard of a cabbie setting the meter back. I saw a Postbag (BP) letter describing a very thoughtful police officer the other day.

I'd guess that good police and cabbies probably outnumber the bad ones here and in most places. We've all heard stories of rip-off cabbies and corrupt/cruel cops in the US, etc., but I've dealt with plenty of decent ones. They certainly run the gamut.

Since there are so many stories about the bad ones, it really is nice to hear stories like yours, AA1. Cabbies are people too! :o

Edited by Upcountry

Most are fine, some are very hot headed and a small percentage are crooks! Went to the Beyonce concert 3 weeks ago. The driver took the long route from Asoke, and actually went the opposite direction. Took an hour to get back to where we started. Left at 6:45 and arrived at 8:45(concert started at 8:30) with no apologies and no adjustment. Would have had an argument but was on a first date with a nice lady so called him a jerk and left.

I would say your driver was a great guy but more jerks around than guys like that! :o

P.S. When I called him a jerk, he just smiled :D

Edited by mauiguy90

It’s nice to hear stories about good honest service. These stories should be so common that they shouldn’t be worth writing about. It is a driver’s job to give good honest service. Doing your job properly should not require special mention.

Aloha

Siki

There are numerous stories in the Thai press about Bangkok cabbies calling into that radio station because someone has left their valuables in the taxi.

and a short search reveals a few in the Nation:

Kudos to one of Bangkok's many honest taxi-drivers

I arrived in Bangkok on September 19 and after clearing passport control and customs at Suvarnabhumi Airport, went down to the first floor to catch a taxi through the taxi queue. The next driver in line was Jum Long. We had a pleasant conversation on the way to my hotel and I arrived safe and sound. I went out to eat and upon returning to my hotel, I had a note attached to my key. I called the number on the note and Jum Long informed me that I had left a black bag in his taxi. This made no sense to me as I had my black bag (a wallet about the size of a day planner).

I thanked Jum Long and told him I would call him back the next day to make arrangements to return my bag.

It wasn't until I arrived at Don Muang for an in-country flight the next day to Khon Kaen and was asked for my credit card to confirm my e-ticket, that I realised my smaller, credit-card wallet was what Jum Long had found. This is normally kept inside my larger black bag and I apparently left it in the taxi. Inside the wallet were my checking account card, savings account card, two debit cards, two credit cards and various airline mileage cards. Upon my arrival in Khon Kaen, I contacted Jum Long and asked him to post my bag to me. He had a better idea and arranged to have my bag delivered via a tour bus that came the next day from Bangkok to Khon Kaen. Sealed in an envelope, my bag was returned totally intact. Much to my relief, all of my cards were returned.

I called Jum Long and thanked him immensely for being such an honest and responsible taxi driver.

We need more taxi drivers like Jum Long to show that there are more honest taxi drivers than dishonest ones.

Larry

Bangkok

January 20, 2007

Cabbie returns tourist’s money

A Bangkok taxi driver yesterday turned over US and Taiwanese currency worth around Bt140,000 left behind by a Taiwanese tourist.

The relieved passenger, Chen Ching Ning, gave the honest cabbie Rian Wiangsamut, 45, a Bt4,000 reward.

On Thursday evening around 8pm, Rian called the Sor Wor Por 91 radio station’s 1644 hotline and reported he’d found a wallet possibly belonging to a foreigner he picked up earlier from the Twin Tower Hotel and drove to the Pom Prab Sattru Phai area.

Rian had gone back to the hotel but could not find the passenger, so he decided to call the radio station for help.

“I have been driving a taxi for more than 10 years and decided to return the money because it’s not mine and the owner would be in trouble over the loss,” he said.

Businessman Chen Ching Ning, who was in Thailand for the first time, said he was happy and relieved to get the money back and praised Thai people for being honest and kind. Chen thanked Rian and gave him a Bt4,000 reward.

The Nation

There are numerous stories in the Thai press about Bangkok cabbies calling into that radio station because someone has left their valuables in the taxi.

and a short search reveals a few in the Nation:

Kudos to one of Bangkok's many honest taxi-drivers

I arrived in Bangkok on September 19 and after clearing passport control and customs at Suvarnabhumi Airport, went down to the first floor to catch a taxi through the taxi queue. The next driver in line was Jum Long. We had a pleasant conversation on the way to my hotel and I arrived safe and sound. I went out to eat and upon returning to my hotel, I had a note attached to my key. I called the number on the note and Jum Long informed me that I had left a black bag in his taxi. This made no sense to me as I had my black bag (a wallet about the size of a day planner).

I thanked Jum Long and told him I would call him back the next day to make arrangements to return my bag.

It wasn't until I arrived at Don Muang for an in-country flight the next day to Khon Kaen and was asked for my credit card to confirm my e-ticket, that I realised my smaller, credit-card wallet was what Jum Long had found. This is normally kept inside my larger black bag and I apparently left it in the taxi. Inside the wallet were my checking account card, savings account card, two debit cards, two credit cards and various airline mileage cards. Upon my arrival in Khon Kaen, I contacted Jum Long and asked him to post my bag to me. He had a better idea and arranged to have my bag delivered via a tour bus that came the next day from Bangkok to Khon Kaen. Sealed in an envelope, my bag was returned totally intact. Much to my relief, all of my cards were returned.

I called Jum Long and thanked him immensely for being such an honest and responsible taxi driver.

We need more taxi drivers like Jum Long to show that there are more honest taxi drivers than dishonest ones.

Larry

Bangkok

January 20, 2007

Cabbie returns tourist’s money

A Bangkok taxi driver yesterday turned over US and Taiwanese currency worth around Bt140,000 left behind by a Taiwanese tourist.

The relieved passenger, Chen Ching Ning, gave the honest cabbie Rian Wiangsamut, 45, a Bt4,000 reward.

On Thursday evening around 8pm, Rian called the Sor Wor Por 91 radio station’s 1644 hotline and reported he’d found a wallet possibly belonging to a foreigner he picked up earlier from the Twin Tower Hotel and drove to the Pom Prab Sattru Phai area.

Rian had gone back to the hotel but could not find the passenger, so he decided to call the radio station for help.

“I have been driving a taxi for more than 10 years and decided to return the money because it’s not mine and the owner would be in trouble over the loss,” he said.

Businessman Chen Ching Ning, who was in Thailand for the first time, said he was happy and relieved to get the money back and praised Thai people for being honest and kind. Chen thanked Rian and gave him a Bt4,000 reward.

The Nation

i once took a taxi from bkk to pataya ,left my passport and 300 pound in it ,the driver called the hotel and delivered it back to me ,only want petrol money ,i gave him 50 pound ,the aggro i would of had with my passport it was worth it ,the cabbie is now a freind and i use him when im in bkk ,he came to samui 1 couple of years ago and stayed with me ,nice guy ..

Just a response to Siki's post: OP's story is exceptional because he didn't give clear instructions in Thai, and may have mispronounced "suan plu". johnniebkk pointed out the correct way to say the address, but at least the word "soi" needs to be in the instructions to avoid confusion. So the mistake was the passenger's in this case and not the taxi driver' and, therefore, the driver was quite generous to re-set the meter. Same thing in a restaurant; if you don't speak Thai, and the food that is delivered is not what you ordered, the fault is yours, not the waitress's.

I've been pleased with taxi service in Bangkok well over 90% of the time despite all the negative talk around

Have to agree, I have the odd problem were some have tried it on, but in general most of them are no problem at all. In the end those, that try to cheat, only cheat themselves as they don't get any tip.

That is an exceptional story - never heard of a cabbie setting the meter back. I saw a Postbag (BP) letter describing a very thoughtful police officer the other day.

I'd guess that good police and cabbies probably outnumber the bad ones here and in most places. We've all heard stories of rip-off cabbies and corrupt/cruel cops in the US, etc., but I've dealt with plenty of decent ones. They certainly run the gamut.

Since there are so many stories about the bad ones, it really is nice to hear stories like yours, AA1. Cabbies are people too! :o

Was traveling in BKK a few months ago and the taxi driver was trying to go past some cars by driving in the U-turn lane. He went too far, got caught in the lane and because of a police officer there, he had to make a U-Turn. He pulled over and told me sorry, cleared the meter and told me I did not owe him anything. He got me within about 6 blocks of where I was going, so I just walked he rest of the way.

Bad taxi stories are like everything else. You watch the news and you think that the world is going to he_l. No one wants to report the good and normal things. How many people would read stories about a taxi driver that picked up a passenger, and drove him to where he was supposed to go, and they did not have any problems. How many people would even bother to write such a story.

I do have to say though, that when the taxis refuse to take you as a passenger becaue they do not want to go where you want to go, it is quite frustrating. I am sure there is probably some law that they cannot rufuse to take you someplace, but probably not enforced.

Edited by jstumbo

it has happened to me too. he misheard me, realised his mistake went back and started the meter anew. i tipped him the fare he lost for his honesty as well as the number on the reset meter. he would only take the money on the meter.

then there is the time i broke my leg in a motorcycle accident and the driver took me to the hospital and picked up a freind waiting there and drove him back to my bike (which he had muscled off the road where it lay).

once he got my freind there he took off after an hour of helping us after refusing to accept any money.

likewise, motorcycle taxi guys are very useful to me paying all my bills and running all my errands. not once has one disappeared with 50,000 or so baht to pay of my visa card.

people are what you make of them.

ask me now about the farang "friend of a friend" who stayed at my house and made off with 200 usd i used to keep in a box on my desk, or the one who walked with my ipod after a party.

the longer you live in Bangkok, the less you'll have issues.Why :

1) your thai language competency increases(reading, speaking)

2) you know where to choose the best taxi's from(the most convenient side of the rd, not a stationary cab etc...)

3) you learn to detect the difference in "behavior" between a meter taxi and a non meter taxi, and of course, choose the former

4) you know the roads, sois , sub sois, shortcuts, traffic directions etc.... in the areas you frequent better than most taxi drivers themselves

5) you understand the reasons why they sometimes wont take you (ie: end of shift and destination is too inconvenient for them)..fair enough

6) you may still get the odd snotty prick, but you don't make a fuss, let alone incite violence..just politely exit the cab and hail another.

Bad taxi stories are like everything else. You watch the news and you think that the world is going to he_l. No one wants to report the good and normal things. How many people would read stories about a taxi driver that picked up a passenger, and drove him to where he was supposed to go, and they did not have any problems. How many people would even bother to write such a story.

It was a dark and stormy night in Bangkok. I waved down a hack in one of the better districts and gave the driver my destination. He was playing it cool; kept his yapper shut, gave a low grunt and a slight toss of the head. He wheeled away from the curb and I slumped in the back seat like a puppet with its strings cut.

As we sped through the rain-slicked streets, his inscrutable Asian eyes now and then flicked into sight in the rear view mirror. Was he checking the traffic behind or was he casing me for the big score? I knew this ride was going to cost me. The only question was, how much?

For all I knew I was in a race with death, every kilometer taking me closer to the Big Sawatdee. Yeah, he was cagey, bidding his time. He played it cool alright... casually flipping between the presets on the cab's radio and even pausing at a red light to stuff a tube up his nose. Sure, it smelled of menthol, but maybe he was huffing back Bolivian marching powder or worse.

We rolled up to the place I needed to be and there was 67 on the meter. A six and a seven, adds to 13, just the thing I didn't need to know. It was going to be now or never so I made my move first; a feint to the waist band and then my hand flashed to my vest pocket. I came out with a matched pair, a blue and a green, and shoved them into his waiting fist. Whatever he had in mind that seemed to terminate things like a sap to the skull in a cheap brothel.

I got out and watched his tail lights as he drove off. As I hunched against the mist and lit a smoke I couldn't help but wonder about his next fare, his last fare, all the fares... Had they also had the same brush with the unknown as me? Blame it on too many bad broads or too much good gin if you want, but I use taxis in Bangkok, and I've lived to tell about it.

It was a dark and stormy night in Bangkok. I waved down a hack in one of the better districts and gave the driver my destination. He was playing it cool; kept his yapper shut, gave a low grunt and a slight toss of the head. He wheeled away from the curb and I slumped in the back seat like a puppet with its strings cut.

As we sped through the rain-slicked streets, his inscrutable Asian eyes now and then flicked into sight in the rear view mirror. Was he checking the traffic behind or was he casing me for the big score? I knew this ride was going to cost me. The only question was, how much?

For all I knew I was in a race with death, every kilometer taking me closer to the Big Sawatdee. Yeah, he was cagey, bidding his time. He played it cool alright... casually flipping between the presets on the cab's radio and even pausing at a red light to stuff a tube up his nose. Sure, it smelled of menthol, but maybe he was huffing back Bolivian marching powder or worse.

We rolled up to the place I needed to be and there was 67 on the meter. A six and a seven, adds to 13, just the thing I didn't need to know. It was going to be now or never so I made my move first; a feint to the waist band and then my hand flashed to my vest pocket. I came out with a matched pair, a blue and a green, and shoved them into his waiting fist. Whatever he had in mind that seemed to terminate things like a sap to the skull in a cheap brothel.

I got out and watched his tail lights as he drove off. As I hunched against the mist and lit a smoke I couldn't help but wonder about his next fare, his last fare, all the fares... Had they also had the same brush with the unknown as me? Blame it on too many bad broads or too much good gin if you want, but I use taxis in Bangkok, and I've lived to tell about it.

excellent stuff !!

That was really good, Thaidle. Now we really do have everything.

Glad you liked it. That's the first installment from my series "Hardboiled Tales from Low Risk Scenarios". In upcoming episodes "Crosswalk Double-cross" will describe how I've always gotten across the street without getting mown down by traffic, "The Maltese Faucet" will detail how a Thai plumber fixed my sink without planning a later robbery, and in "The Italianate Job" I'll recount how I got a double espresso and biscotti without being shortchanged or murdered.

Glad you liked it. That's the first installment from my series "Hardboiled Tales from Low Risk Scenarios". In upcoming episodes "Crosswalk Double-cross" will describe how I've always gotten across the street without getting mown down by traffic, "The Maltese Faucet" will detail how a Thai plumber fixed my sink without planning a later robbery, and in "The Italianate Job" I'll recount how I got a double espresso and biscotti without being shortchanged or murdered.

:o

The forum's looking up! More please! :o

I had a problem with both taxis I took on Saturday evening.

In eight years of living in Bangkok I have seen the good and the bad side of taxis.

I wonder where these people live when they say they have never had a problem, certainly not Bangkok!

I've been physically threatened by a driver high on yaabaa at the old airport when he refused to turn on the meter after picking me up from the official desk.

I have had a drunk cab driver run me over when I was getting out of his cab at my destination.

Then there are the petty incidents too numerous to warrant a mention here; taxis refusing fares, drivers not knowing the directions, taking longer routes to increase fares, unsafe cars, drunk or otherwise inebriated drivers etc, etc, etc.

On the flip side I left my passport in a cab once and the driver returned it to me later that evening, so they are not all bad!

Excuse me, how many times do you get mugged a day?

I had a problem with both taxis I took on Saturday evening.

In eight years of living in Bangkok I have seen the good and the bad side of taxis.

I wonder where these people live when they say they have never had a problem, certainly not Bangkok!

I've been physically threatened by a driver high on yaabaa at the old airport when he refused to turn on the meter after picking me up from the official desk.

I have had a drunk cab driver run me over when I was getting out of his cab at my destination.

Then there are the petty incidents too numerous to warrant a mention here; taxis refusing fares, drivers not knowing the directions, taking longer routes to increase fares, unsafe cars, drunk or otherwise inebriated drivers etc, etc, etc.

On the flip side I left my passport in a cab once and the driver returned it to me later that evening, so they are not all bad!

Excuse me, how many times do you get mugged a day?

I'm suprised that he is brave enough to go out the door in the morning with all the trials and tribulations he encounters.

And he has a ready-made market here!

<br />I had a problem with both taxis I took on Saturday evening.<br /><br />In eight years of living in Bangkok I have seen the good and the bad side of taxis.<br /><br />I wonder where these people live when they say they have never had a problem, certainly not Bangkok!<br /><br />I've been physically threatened by a driver high on yaabaa at the old airport when he refused to turn on the meter after picking me up from the official desk. <br /><br />I have had a drunk cab driver run me over when I was getting out of his cab at my destination.<br /><br />Then there are the petty incidents too numerous to warrant a mention here; taxis refusing fares, drivers not knowing the directions, taking longer routes to increase fares, unsafe cars, drunk or otherwise inebriated drivers etc, etc, etc.<br /><br />On the flip side I left my passport in a cab once and the driver returned it to me later that evening, so they are not all bad!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Sounds about right from what I and the wife have experienced, also when they wont go the way you ask and its pouring with rain and you have a boot full of parcels start saying if we want a taxi or not!

Had them falling asleep a few times too.

Some have been good. Many we have found are abyssmal, two speeds, stop and go, cruise doesn't exist.

:o:D

I love TV!

Is it possible you write a book about this incident?

Some people really have talent!

:D

My stomach is aching!