Famous Chicken Or Mutton Biriyani Eatery

SwaziBird

I heard today from a long-term resident in CM that there is an establishment, close to Wat Santitham, famous and known to all, as the Muslim Biriyani Shop.

At meal times, I'm told, this rather plain food servery, with no pretensions, is jamb-packed with locals. This place has been there for possibly 30 or more years.

The food is supposed to be VERY tasty and the prices VERY Thai.

Anyone know of the place and might like to report on it. Just thought I'd ask before I started to hunt it down.

Thank you.

Cheers

post-32884-1195867468_thumb.jpg

There are photos of the place at http://www.chinarice.org/santitham1.html as well. I'm a regular. The kebabs and mataba are also very good. They have an English menu that I'm going to study one of these days.

I heard about it from Lonely Planet, by the way. It's listed. And the book says:

"Sa-Nga Choen Doi (no Roman-script sign) dishes 25-40B; 8am-4pm. This long-running favorite makes the best khao mok kai and mataba in town; if you happen to be near the YMCA in Amphoe Santitham, it's a five-minute walk away. The homemade, unsweetened yogurt here is also highly recommended."

Enjoy!

post-32884-1195867468_thumb.jpg

There are photos of the place at http://www.chinarice.org/santitham1.html as well. I'm a regular. The kebabs and mataba are also very good. They have an English menu that I'm going to study one of these days.

I heard about it from Lonely Planet, by the way. It's listed. And the book says:

"Sa-Nga Choen Doi (no Roman-script sign) dishes 25-40B; 8am-4pm. This long-running favorite makes the best khao mok kai and mataba in town; if you happen to be near the YMCA in Amphoe Santitham, it's a five-minute walk away. The homemade, unsweetened yogurt here is also highly recommended."

Enjoy!

Thanks CalicoConsulting ,

Your directions were very explicit.

My wife and I will be heading that way this coming week and I will report back to the forum.

Cheers.

BINGO !!!!!!!!

Thanks for your directions and recommendation CalicoConsulting.

My wife and I have just returned from the eatery, a lot fuller and a lot happier. This is seriously good food.

one large plate of chicken biriyani served with soup 30 baht

one chicken mataba 25 baht

one chicken kebab serving with satay ( about 9 small sticks ) 30 baht

one beef kebab serving with satay ( about 9 small sticks) 30 baht

one homemade unsweetened yogurt 15 baht

then we finished off with

one roti - sliced and served with a lovely sugar topping 10 baht

Total for this shared and more than ample feast for 2 = 140 baht !!!!!!

water , free ( with the option to purchase the standard inexpensive bottle ).

Here's the rest of their menu;

Beef biriyani 35 baht

Baked chicken & rice 25 "

Ox tail soup 40 "

Beef soup 30 "

Chicken soup 30 "

Noodle soup 20 "

Chicken fried rice 25 "

Pad Thai 25 "

Pad see euw 25 "

Egg salad w/peanut sauce 25 "

Ambiance and general state of cleanliness - average to slightly better than the usual Thai eatery. Takes a little accustomisation to see the veils and Arabic inscriptions.

Overall: Great food, quick service, excellent value We got there just before the crowds started to arrive at mid-day.

Recommendation ; Can only say - like the Terminator -"We'll be back" !

Cheers

Sounds great, SwaziBird.

Oddly enough, I took some of their mataba out of my freezer this morning, threw it in the microwave, and called it breakfast. I had to meet a deadline, but I keep a freezer full of their goodies just for such occasions. I could walk there if I wasn't so lazy. I bicycle instead.

Just wondering .....?????

Would your calico cat , given the opportunity, eat my swazi bird ??

Cheers.

I think your bird is safe. Miss Picasso is strictly a fish-eating girl. :o

Glad to hear it. She's rather cute looking .

But , back on topic. Have to tell you that I have ordered a pot full of chicken biriyani as well as rotis to feed 30 deserving mouths next month. They were very obliging and are letting me take it away in a great big pot which I will return the next morning.

You got me thinking about the possibilities of freezing some of their dishes.

Sounds like a smart move.

Cheers.

would really like to know if its thai muslim style of preparations for the briyani or northern indian style? hoping to find some good south indian muslim briyani (mutton or chicken).

Mate I was hoping you would go there and then tell us :o I suspect it will be Thai Muslim style due the number of decendents from the Haw that live here. I know there are quite a few Indian and Pakistani muslims living here but this restaurant has been going for about thirty years which makes it more likely to be from one of the old muslim families.

CB

would really like to know if its thai muslim style of preparations for the briyani or northern indian style? hoping to find some good south indian muslim briyani (mutton or chicken).

Mate I was hoping you would go there and then tell us :o I suspect it will be Thai Muslim style due the number of decendents from the Haw that live here. I know there are quite a few Indian and Pakistani muslims living here but this restaurant has been going for about thirty years which makes it more likely to be from one of the old muslim families.

CB

I believe it's Thai Muslim biriyani - but cannot guarantee that.

It's pretty good, nonetheless.

Cheers

CB

I believe it's Thai Muslim biriyani - but cannot guarantee that.

It's pretty good, nonetheless.

Cheers

some briyani from wikipedia.

UG, this one's for you. FOOD!

TB