Shave Your Energy Bill - Up To 80% With Lights

SamuiBond

We have 12 of these things in our house, which are supposed to last much longer than ordinary bulbs. In the 15 months since my house was built I have had to replace all of them, some twice.

10 months in our new house, zero replacements, obviousely something is wrong at your place. :o

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so if i listen to that [nearly] unisono given advice and change all my light bulbs will the compressors of my aircon units, my well pump, my irrigation pump, my house water supply pumps, my pool pump, my pond pumps, my microwave, the electric cook top, the oven, the toaster, the grill, our fridges and our four computers use less energy?

GIVE ME A BREAK GENTLEMEN, CLIMB DOWN FROM CLOUD NINE AND FACE REALITY! :o

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP NAAM :D

I live on a dark road and we got thieves visit our place twice in the first month.

I installed 4 light points outside of the new type at 15 watt each in stead of the old lights at 100 watt.

At 3.25 baht/kilowatt that's 400 baht savings.

Every room in the house has them, we run airco a few hours when needed, TV's and PC switched off when not in use, the well pump has a timer to run 1 hour/day, the water boiler on/off as needed etc.

And you would argue I do not save on energy?

Yes, I really want white LED lights to replace all my lights but so far I have only seen LED nite lites sold which I did buy. They produce little to no heat and run on less than 5 watts. I understand it will be a couple of years before they have them bright enough to replace a 75 watt bulb. I have replaced all the incandescents with the spirals but use the 25 watt one to get plenty of light out of it. We probably only have 8 lights on at a time so the savings aren't that much but they run a little cooler too.

If you can't afford your electric bill go home :o ... as some would say.

Aircons and showers use the juice here unless perhaps you happen live in a house with no windows and use 100w bulbs 24/7. Have a few fluorescent ceiling lights but fluorescent light is generally an ugly light IMO - I'll stick to sunlight in the day and filaments at night thanks.

so if i listen to that [nearly] unisono given advice and change all my light bulbs will the compressors of my aircon units, my well pump, my irrigation pump, my house water supply pumps, my pool pump, my pond pumps, my microwave, the electric cook top, the oven, the toaster, the grill, our fridges and our four computers use less energy?

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP NAAM :D

I live on a dark road and we got thieves visit our place twice in the first month.

I installed 4 light points outside of the new type at 15 watt each in stead of the old lights at 100 watt.

At 3.25 baht/kilowatt that's 400 baht savings.

Every room in the house has them, we run airco a few hours when needed, TV's and PC switched off when not in use, the well pump has a timer to run 1 hour/day, the water boiler on/off as needed etc.

And you would argue I do not save on energy?

those who can read have a clear advantage over those who can't and throw expressions like "crap" around. i did not argue in general but posed a question related to my personal electricity consumption.

now... i will copy my question veeeeery sloooooowly again that those who are not fast readers can cope :D here we go:

if... change all my light bulbs will the compressors of my aircon units, my well pump, my irrigation pump, my house water supply pumps, my pool pump, my pond pumps, my microwave, the electric cook top, the oven, the toaster, the grill, our fridges and our four computers use less energy?

p.s. i forgot to mention two big screen and a small TV each running several hours per day. :D

advice: an excellent way to save energy and this planet is not to pay your electricity bill. wait till the power company cuts you off, enjoy tremendous savings and convert them into Chang (which you drink lukewarm).

advice: an excellent way to save energy and this planet is not to pay your electricity bill. wait till the power company cuts you off, enjoy tremendous savings and convert them into Chang (which you drink lukewarm).

:o

I currently pump out 300w per room of nice and hot halogen downlighting and also use tungsten for lighting artwork. Off hand, it's about 2500w of lighting in my house. But I like it. I do not like the output of flourescent light and never have. It just looks cheap to me (and apparently it is according to this thread).

If you want to save some money on your electric bill by swapping out your lights then that's one thing. If you want to save some money out of your monthly budget, many things would come first (for me, at least), before it came to changing my lighting. Lighting is EVERYTHING. Think of any nice restaurant, hotel, spa, wherever you've been to. It was the lighting that created the ambiance. And I seriously doubt they used 17w spiral flourescent bulbs. But if you're not an ambiance guy and don't mind the round blueish almost morgue-llike lighting typical of thai houses, then it's your choice... for me, though, it is of my opinion that one should not skimp on lighting (you can make an expensive house look cheap and vice versa by just changing the lighting).

Run out of prune juice again ... have we ?

Naka.

Run out of prune juice again ... have we ?

Naka.

in a way you are right Naka. yesterday i ran out of phrik nam pla and wait since hours for my EMS :o

...for me, though, it is of my opinion that one should not skimp on lighting (you can make an expensive house look cheap and vice versa by just changing the lighting).

people who own expensive homes do not skimp on lighting for the purpose of energy saving. and too much or too bright lighting is not to everyone's liking. we have a (near) daily fight going on what settings the dimmers should be. my wife wants bright lights, i prefer my ambience dimmed and cosy :o

Can I afford to run air conditioning 24/7? Can I afford to use beautiful light? That answer is yes but why should I? Light is light and quite frankly I can't tell the difference. I try to conserve electricity. Some hotels still don't have a timed disconnect for their rooms and I always turn off the lights and air conditioner when I leave the room. I know some people who like to feel like they are getting their moneys worth from a hotel and turn the air conditioning to maximum cool when out of the room. If everyone tried to conserve electricity, I think we would live on a better planet. I doubt that I will live to see the day that we can tell OPEC to eat their oil but that is a fond wish of mine.

Savings might be relative small in a normal household, where lighting is only a small part of your electricity consumption, in my case, having a resort with lots of lighting in public areas (equals 12 hours/day on), and having roughly 630 bulbs in this public area, I can assure you the savings are quite considerable.

Add to that the fact that in about 18 months of daily use (close to 4 million combined hours) I have had to change exactly 4 bulbs! Just the savings in the annoyment of seeing broken bulbs makes it worth it for me!

Using Philips genie bulbs...

those who can read have a clear advantage over those who can't and throw expressions like "crap" around. i did not argue in general but posed a question related to my personal electricity consumption.

now... i will copy my question veeeeery sloooooowly again that those who are not fast readers can cope :D here we go:

if... change all my light bulbs will the compressors of my aircon units, my well pump, my irrigation pump, my house water supply pumps, my pool pump, my pond pumps, my microwave, the electric cook top, the oven, the toaster, the grill, our fridges and our four computers use less energy?

p.s. i forgot to mention two big screen and a small TV each running several hours per day. :D

So you claim I can't read?

The OP mentionned electricity savings on changing light bulbs, come Naam suggesting/asking about savings on other equipment caused by the new bulbs. Now that's corresponds perfectly to my defintion of "a load of crap" as a reply.

Not sure you are smart enough to grasp this though :o

As has been mentioned these lights are available in both 2700k (red end) and the older 6500k (blue end) color temperatures so if you do not like the cool white/blue that most Thai in this hot climate seem to prefer you have a choice. I do find the 2700k seem to cause less strain for my eyes.

Amazing! Of all the threads with controversial, flame-provoking subjects, who would have thought that people would end up flaming in a simple thread about light bulbs! :o

i haven't noticed real flaming but a lot of "i'm holier than thou" and "what you do is wrong, what i do is right". next thing i might see is "get rid of your wife, she is using too much energy and causes global warming".

:D

Amazing! Of all the threads with controversial, flame-provoking subjects, who would have thought that people would end up flaming in a simple thread about light bulbs! :o

i haven't noticed real flaming but a lot of "i'm holier than thou" and "what you do is wrong, what i do is right". next thing i might see is "get rid of your wife, she is using too much energy and causes global warming".

Fun isn't it :bah:

From what you've said about 'er indoors Naam she contributes to global warming by creating hot air rather than by excessive electricity consumption :D :D :D

Maybe you should change her out for a compact, low energy version :o

and I'm sure you love each other very much :bah:

Edited by Crossy

there are the small 4-5 W chinese made (normal) light bulbs they cost only 10 B and last as long as any other!

i used them in a resort for many years in places where illumination was needed, but no flood lightning!

But this only becaus the light the emitted was soft and not too bright and cost close to nothing, saving energy and even cutting down on CO2 never came to my mind!

this rage comes only recently - and funny enough in a time where we are going to get the harvest of what our forefathers have sown...

Anyone old enough, no surely not, remember the Lignite fired steel mills, factories, the coking for gas?

Anyone ever been in rural and as well as industrial areas in India, China, Indo, Egypt, or in Athens, Mexico City........?

Keep spending money to "save" the planet and maybe give some to those who can't by these "energy saving" light bulbs.....

Shouldn't be all the Volcanoes be capped?

How about cattle?

How about India's & China's new taste for cars and electronic appliances

One day, if I have the time to worry, I will take a second to just do that!

I am afraid life is a terminal disease!

How about cattle?

People got to start from somewhere. You can choose not to care and share your visions with others that won't care. People / things you can control are the ones in your family and their behaviour. People you can effect by posing a positive views are for example the ones that read these forums.

Choosing not to care is one thing. Its an other to advertise that you don't care - it's just plain reckless and silly and goes with some other posters here.

".......... and too much or too bright lighting is not to everyone's liking. we have a (near) daily fight going on what settings the dimmers should be. my wife wants bright lights, i prefer my ambience dimmed and cosy :o

I like subdued lighting as well. I'm not sure what it is with Thai women and lighting. When my wife has her girlfriends over, she turns every light in the house on....including the ones in the cabinets....every freakin one! I suppose coming from Isaan it is considered a status symbol.

".......... and too much or too bright lighting is not to everyone's liking. we have a (near) daily fight going on what settings the dimmers should be. my wife wants bright lights, i prefer my ambience dimmed and cosy :o

I like subdued lighting as well. I'm not sure what it is with Thai women and lighting. When my wife has her girlfriends over, she turns every light in the house on....including the ones in the cabinets....every freakin one! I suppose coming from Isaan it is considered a status symbol.

can't be the reason in my case as my wife is not Thai. but my friends in Europe and America made the same experience. women want brighter light than men and nobody has an explanation for it.

How about cattle?

People got to start from somewhere. You can choose not to care and share your visions with others that won't care. People / things you can control are the ones in your family and their behaviour. People you can effect by posing a positive views are for example the ones that read these forums.

Choosing not to care is one thing. Its an other to advertise that you don't care - it's just plain reckless and silly and goes with some other posters here.

yeah right! speaking the truth is plain reckless and silly "advertising"! :o i wonder what you teach or have taught your children.

Has anyone done testing on electricity bill before - after? I know these fluorescent spirals don't work with dimmers but is there any other down sides?

They have versions of these bulbs that work with dimmers. The ones I use cost a bit more than the regular spirals and only dim down to about 30% of full power.

"yeah right! speaking the truth is plain reckless and silly "advertising"! i wonder what you teach or have taught your children. "

Haven't got any and by the way things are going on this planet, will think twice. You think it is a good thing to go on saying that you just don't care flying f**c about how much electricity one spends and how its done. Even guys in Bali came to same conclusion: The way things are going is too much for this planet and immediate drastic measures are needed to save our planet. This job starts from individuals.

They have versions of these bulbs that work with dimmers. The ones I use cost a bit more than the regular spirals and only dim down to about 30% of full power.

That's good news! What's the brand and where did you find some...

"yeah right! speaking the truth is plain reckless and silly "advertising"! i wonder what you teach or have taught your children. "

Haven't got any and by the way things are going on this planet, will think twice. You think it is a good thing to go on saying that you just don't care flying f**c about how much electricity one spends and how its done. Even guys in Bali came to same conclusion: The way things are going is too much for this planet and immediate drastic measures are needed to save our planet. This job starts from individuals.

That's good news! What's the brand and where did you find some...

The dimmable spiral bulb I use is from GE, bought at Home Pro. They are 20W witch is equivalent to a 100W bulb, they can be dimmed down to 20% of max wattage. Not sure on what the price was but it was quite a bit more than the normal spiral bulb but are rated for 8000 hours so no big deal.

You think it is a good thing to go on saying that you just don't care flying f**c about how much electricity one spends and how its done.

don't put words in my mouth i never said! :o what i did was nothing but proving ad absurdum the wrong claim and heading of this thread

"Shave Your Energy Bill - Up To 80% With Lights"

as it does not apply to my and the electricity bills of others i know. lighting does not even exceed 2% of the total energy demand in my home and changing some light bulbs does not reduce the power consumption of airconditioners, pumps, cooking, fridges/freezers, computers, TVs and other consuming devices (just repeating what i wrote).

a "technical flying <deleted>" is the OPs heading of this thread and a "plain flying <deleted>" is your twisted argumentation. next time do your homework first before tackling me.

You think it is a good thing to go on saying that you just don't care flying f**c about how much electricity one spends and how its done.

don't put words in my mouth i never said! :o what i did was nothing but proving ad absurdum the wrong claim and heading of this thread

"Shave Your Energy Bill - Up To 80% With Lights"

as it does not apply to my and the electricity bills of others i know. lighting does not even exceed 2% of the total energy demand in my home and changing some light bulbs does not reduce the power consumption of airconditioners, pumps, cooking, fridges/freezers, computers, TVs and other consuming devices (just repeating what i wrote).

a "technical flying <deleted>" is the OPs heading of this thread and a "plain flying <deleted>" is your twisted argumentation. next time do your homework first before tackling me.

Also shave up 80% with lights! Aircon, pumps and all the other stuff comes on top of that. How you work those individual shares isn't the topic here. Most of people seem to have understood this. Sure it wouldn't hurt to hear tips how people do save with other parts of their general consumption. But It could be an other thread.

Since I only use fans, TV, Fridge, Com, Mobile, Hot Water and Wireless, surprise is how much share of lights is on monthly bill. I'll cut my monthly bill to less than 500 Baht. Just because I can and still my life won't change a bit. Its merely by using tricks of the trade and common sense (and part of that caring).

Careless user hits in my situation 1.500-2.000 B a month.

I agree 100%, We well-off can afford the electric bill so should just use as much as we like. hel_l, after reading this I installed five more pumps and an a'c in the dog house. Why try to make some difference, who cares? I'm alright, I'm happy and comfortable living the consumer consume all lifestyle, all you "save the planet" wanke_rs can all get stuffed, bunch of losers!