A Startup Link

Tywais

This is an odd one that I've never encountered before. Running Windows XP SP2. I keep my startup items in categories for easier locating, as can be seen below. I installed PowerDVD version 7.3 and as usual, moved it to the Multimedia menu. However, whenever I restart the computer it keeps showing up in the root of All Programs. I've deleted it countless times and it keeps showing back up in the root.

Ran msconfig and disabled any services and startup items that are even remotely related, no luck. Same with the registry, tried to find any related items such as RunOnce but still nothing. Getting a bit annoying in that I like things tidy. :o Anyone experience this before?

post-566-1197195151_thumb.jpg

I vaguely remember something about this with powerdvd. I think it is caused by languages.exe or language.exe. Try renaming that file and see if the problem still exists.

You could always give the offending startup folder hidden & system attributes to remove the clutter, but if you're at all like me you have a strange need to know what is causing the problem.

I vaguely remember something about this with powerdvd. I think it is caused by languages.exe or language.exe. Try renaming that file and see if the problem still exists.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I usually can always get the answers via Google, but in this case couldn't come up with a good search term. Here is what I found:

This is the response from Cyberlink on one forum:

"A:Dear TMPUSER

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Online Support.

We understand your concern related with PowerDVD.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

We wish to inform you that it’s a default feature of PowerDVD software." :D

And a solution from another forum:

"The Start Menu problem is linked to the "Language" service in PowerDVD (go figure). An easy way to test this is to run 'msconfig' from the Start Menu and look in the Startup tab. You can uncheck the 'Language' item and delete the Cyberlink links from the Programs group in the Start Menu. When you re-start, the Cyberlink menu should remain _gone_. "

I just disabled the "Language" startup option but will have to wait a bit to restart and test. Transferring 120GBytes between two USB drives at the moment.

I'll let you know if it works in case others have the same issue. Funny thing, on a Vista forum they were having the same problem and of course blamed it on Vista being buggy. :o

Default feature??? :o I can't imagine that was a popular request... I wonder if it simply 're-enforces' the options chosen during install (ie Desktop icon, startup menu entries, etc.) Quite the intuitive file name choice on the part of Cyberlink, btw.

Anyway, glad you were able to get the issue solved.