1st Retirement Extension Today At Jomtien

First, thanks to all those who have answered my questions over the last few months as I got ready for this first application for an extension based on retirement, especially lopburi.

Yesterday I went to SCB bank on Beach Road to get the letter at about 11:30 in the morning. It was very quiet and they took less than 15 minutes to do it. Cost – 200 Baht.

I then had some lunch and headed on to the Soi 5 Immigration office. It was a bit of a zoo there, with about 20 people queuing at the Information counter, plus countless others milling around or just standing like zombies. It's truly unbelieveable how some farangs dress to come here, in spite of a big electronic sign asking you to dress respectfully. I was prepared with all the required documents and plenty of back-up material, thanks to what I have learned on this forum. I took a number and waited my turn for about 25 minutes. Two police sergeants checked the paperwork separately, I paid the 1900 Baht fee, and then took the lot to a police captain who checked it all again. Somewhere along the line, someone stamped the extension in my passport, valid until 1 January 2009. That's 1 year on top of my current permission to stay until 1 January 2008.

What did I need?

1. My passport (obviously!)

2. Completed form TM7 with a 6cmX4cm photo pasted onto it.

3. Copies of my passport showing the ID page at the back, the Non-O visa, the current TM6 card, and the current permission to stay stamp.

4. Copies of all used pages of my SCB savings account book showing 800K Baht there for 3 months, plus the ID page at the front.

5. The letter from the bank confirming the balance in the account and my name.

6. 1900 Baht fee.

And that was it. As I was going the 800K route, I was NOT asked for an ATM or credit card, though I saw plenty of people copying these. So as noted in other threads, if you go the income route in Pattaya you will probably have to give them a copy of a current card. No requirements for maps, or proof of where I live, or medical certificate, or anything else. No checks that funds had come from abroad (I had the paperwork to prove it though), and they showed no interest in my SCB SFF Fund account, where I usually keep most of my money.

I had signed all the copies in advance, but the first sergeant still stamped every page and made me sign the stamp. The lady captain was pleasant, addressing me by my first name. She explained that I had been given a 1 year extension, and also stapled the 90-day reporting reminder into my passport. But here's the odd thing - as reported by other people, and although the extension was already in my passport, she told me to come back the following afternoon to collect it, and gave me a plastic ticket with a number on it.

Why is this? Do they go through your paperwork with a fine-tooth comb after closing hours? (I should think not.) Do they cross-check with the main Soi 9 police station that you haven't got a criminal record? (I have no idea!)

Including the visit to the bank on Beach Road, I spent about 2 hours on Wednesday on the application.

I went back this afternoon (Thursday) about 2:30 and gave my plastic ticket to the police captain and she handed me my passport. Then it was time for the multiple re-entry permit. This required:

1. My passport (again obviously!)

2. Completed form TM8 with a 6cmX4cm photo pasted onto it.

3. A copy of the ID page of my passport (I did not have to sign this).

4. 3800 Baht fee.

I was in and out within 30 minutes this time, as the place was less busy and there was no cross-checking by different officers. So happily I am allowed legally to reside in Thailand for another year, and to come and go as I please. Yippee!

If anyone has any questions, I will be glad to try and help, but it was all very straightforward to be honest, not in the least bit menacing.

Jingthing, I am sorry that I didn't have a chance to ask for clarification on whether the 800 K has to be in the bank for 3 months before subsequent applications.

I did ask about the 90 day reporting thing, I have to report on 11th March, but will be going to the UK for a month over Christmas and New Year. I was trying to find out if I will still have to report on 11th March, or 90 days after my return to Thailand on 17th January? The guy said the 11th March still applies, which contradicts what I have read here.

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice and help. Now if we can just have a peaceful and conclusive election...

Edited by Guderian

Why did you post, there is no drama, no knashing of teeth and rending of cloth. You met all of the requirements and had your ducks in a row what a refreshing experience compared to those trying to bend the rules and recieve visas they donot qualify for.

First, thanks to all those who have answered my questions over the last few months as I got ready for this first application for an extension based on retirement, especially lopburi.

Yesterday I went to SCB bank on Beach Road to get the letter at about 11:30 in the morning. It was very quiet and they took less than 15 minutes to do it. Cost – 200 Baht.

I then had some lunch and headed on to the Soi 5 Immigration office. It was a bit of a zoo there, with about 20 people queuing at the Information counter, plus countless others milling around or just standing like zombies. It's truly unbelieveable how some farangs dress to come here, in spite of a big electronic sign asking you to dress respectfully. I was prepared with all the required documents and plenty of back-up material, thanks to what I have learned on this forum. I took a number and waited my turn for about 25 minutes. Two police sergeants checked the paperwork separately, I paid the 1900 Baht fee, and then took the lot to a police captain who checked it all again. Somewhere along the line, someone stamped the extension in my passport, valid until 1 January 2009. That's 1 year on top of my current permission to stay until 1 January 2008.

What did I need?

1. My passport (obviously!)

2. Completed form TM7 with a 6cmX4cm photo pasted onto it.

3. Copies of my passport showing the ID page at the back, the Non-O visa, the current TM6 card, and the current permission to stay stamp.

4. Copies of all used pages of my SCB savings account book showing 800K Baht there for 3 months, plus the ID page at the front.

5. The letter from the bank confirming the balance in the account and my name.

Sounds silly to me that your bank asks 200 Baht for wrtiting a letter and confirming that you had the 800K in your bank account (as the pages of the savings account already proves....).

The least they could and should have done is writing a letter out of courtesy for a good client instead asking a silly 200 Baht.

LaoPo

Why did you post, there is no drama, no knashing of teeth and rending of cloth. You met all of the requirements and had your ducks in a row what a refreshing experience compared to those trying to bend the rules and recieve visas they donot qualify for.

I quite agree. I go every year for a renewal retirement visa with all the corect paperwork and respectfully dressed and am given my visa there and then. :o

I quite agree. I go every year for a renewal retirement visa with all the corect paperwork and respectfully dressed and am given my visa there and then. :D

And before some smart arse gets on to it, I know I missed an 'r' in correct :o

I then had some lunch and headed on to the Soi 5 Immigration office. It was a bit of a zoo there, with about 20 people queuing at the Information counter, plus countless others milling around or just standing like zombies.It's truly unbelieveable how some farangs dress to come here, in spite of a big electronic sign asking you to dress respectfully.quote]

Don't know why Immo puts up with it. They should show them the door and tell them to come back when they are dressed appropriately.

Edited by Westerner

That is a standard bank letter charge.

I believe you on your word :o but IMHO still silly, but I know it's western thinking.

Q: why does the OP have to prove double-up ? (bank statements AND a letter from the bank). Is it standard procedure and obligatory ?

LaoPo

If your paperwork isn't in order, you can arrive in a tuxedo and you still aren't going to get your extension ...

Maybe so, but I agree with Suderian that at least you will get more respect from the Thai officials.

Thai are proud people and especially Government/office people/bank people and the like always dress neat and clean.

Obviously they are (sometimes) disgusted with the dressing behaviour of Farang, and right they are ! If one has to do some official business, dress properly and neat & clean.

It could make a lot of difference the way you are or will be treated.

LaoPo

I believe you on your word :o but IMHO still silly, but I know it's western thinking.

Q: why does the OP have to prove double-up ? (bank statements AND a letter from the bank). Is it standard procedure and obligatory ?

LaoPo

Even though I go the pension route, I always have to provide a letter from my bank showing that I have money in Thailand (I'm told they look for at least 50,000 baht) and copies of relevant pages of my bank book. And as well as all that, I have to give them photocopies of my bank card.

It all seems overkill but if that is what keeps them happy/right then it isn't difficult to comply.

As others have said, the process is straightforward and relatively painless even if it seems overly bureaucratic in places.

Incidentally, my Bank, Krung Thai also charges 200 baht for a letter. Not only that but last year they charged an additional 100 baht because 3 days earlier I had deposited a cheque and it hadn't yet been credited to my account!

This is just common sense like telling people not to vomit on the officer (though I do wonder if picking your nose would be OK). Of course, dress decently and be clean. I really don't understand why some people seem obsessed about this obvious thing. At the Jomtien office if you are just wearing long pants that aren't jeans, no printed t shirt about where where Bad Boys go, wearing standard shoes instead of sandals or flip flops, you are the belle of the ball.

I can assure you the OP had smooth sailing because his papers were in order and fully compliant with the rules du jour, and he was polite and respectful, not because he was in a 3000 dollar Italian tailored suit (which of course he was not in).

BTW, you can indeed take from that some people do encounter problems for various reasons:

they haven't complied

their interpretation of the rules du jour differs from the officer in front of them (that happens and it is understandable why that happens)

the officer doesn't like their face and is suspicious of them

the officer is not getting any and grumpy

Yes, it helps to be neat and clean, but it is only one of many factors.

Edited by Jingthing

LaoPo

Yes, It is.

Naka.

It's truly unbelieveable how some farangs dress to come here, in spite of a big electronic sign asking you to dress respectfully.quote]

Don't know why Immo puts up with it. They should show them the door and tell them to come back when they are dressed appropriately.

Last time I was there I saw one of the Immigration Policemen reprimanding a customer who was in shorts and singlet with a lot of bling and bare tattoed flesh showing on his arms and shoulders.

He was about 50 so might have been expected to know better. He obviously didn't know too much about etiquette and hadn't paid any attention to the signs - despite the fact that he spoke English. His lady friend asked him what the problem was and I heard him explaining to her incredulously that he had been told to dress properly next time.

Thanks to O.P. Guderian for sharing his positive result with us.

Also for providing the opportunity to ask for related information on the thread.

I have always continued taking my wife with me since going the 800,000 in the bank route, along with showing the documents from my "O" family visa applications, ( 1year ) with both our signatures ect. and my daughters Thai B.cert.

The reason being i didn,t want to chance some out of sorts Imm.Officer ( we have a bespectaculed one at N.Khai who could be more friendly ??? ) refusing my application and sending me away to bring my wife back.

What usually happens in the transition from the 400K to the 800K one year Res.Visa please ?

It would be great if i could leave her at home and go down there on my own, while reducing the paper work, signatures ect. at the same time.

Thanks in advance for any imput from any experience, and our brilliant MODS of course.

marshbags :o

P.S.

This is down to me in relation to continuing the old 400K route and not the N.K. immigration.

They did start giving me one copy of most of my paperwork back by the way ????

Apart from the one mentioned, all the other officers have always been very helpful, even with the to keep my post friendly............awkward visitors. ahem!!!

Edited by marshbags

My experience in Bangkok is they want you both present the time you make the change and your wife will be asked to sign a short note that she understands you are making the change. Later extensions do not require the wife. They also put a stamp in your passport of the change of status from Thai Wife to Retirement.

My experience in Bangkok is they want you both present the time you make the change and your wife will be asked to sign a short note that she understands you are making the change. Later extensions do not require the wife. They also put a stamp in your passport of the change of status from Thai Wife to Retirement.

Thanks for your usual speedy reply Lopburi, i,m not due for awhile but will do this next renewal.

Out of curiousity, what would happen if someone wanted to do it in reverse, would the old 400K still be acceptable.

I,m O.K. ( touch wood ) but some members may be a bit short on the 3 month qualifying rule for 800K for one reason or another.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Thanks for your usual speedy reply Lopburi, i,m not due for awhile but will do this next renewal.

Out of curiousity, what would happen if someone wanted to do it in reverse, would the old 400K still be acceptable.

I,m O.K. ( touch wood ) but some members may be a bit short on the 3 month qualifying rule for 800K for one reason or another.

marshbags

From the wording below I would not expect a change back from retirement to family using 400k to be allowed (due to the "result of having married to a Thai wife" phrase - but I would suspect a change back to 400k from 40k income could be allowed. But if I were in a position to require it I would certainly ask.

Except for the case

that the said foreign national has

entered Thailand before this Order

is enforced and the foreign national

has been permitted to stay in the

Kingdom by the result of having

married to a Thai wife, then if the

applicant does not have the said

income, then, the latest 3 months

records of the account book of any

Bank in Thailand with the account

name of either or both parties need

to have the amount of money not

less than 400,000 Baht.

I successfully received my first extension on my retirement visa today at Jomtien. I use a combination of pension and some money in the bank. Just to advise that I was not asked for a copy of a credit card.

Just my way of clarification, Tilac, can I take it that when you refer to a credit card you are referring also to any ATM card - bank card, debit card, etc?

LaoPo

TIT

Last time I was there I saw one of the Immigration Policemen reprimanding a customer who was in shorts and singlet with a lot of bling and bare tattoed flesh showing on his arms and shoulders.

He was about 50 so might have been expected to know better. He obviously didn't know too much about etiquette and hadn't paid any attention to the signs - despite the fact that he spoke English. His lady friend asked him what the problem was and I heard him explaining to her incredulously that he had been told to dress properly next time.

Glad to hear this. Hope it happens on a regular basis.

If your paperwork isn't in order, you can arrive in a tuxedo and you still aren't going to get your extension ...

True..but the state of some people..unbelieveable..would they dress like that in their own country. Guess this might get a few comments.

If you not interested, just don't even bothered to read it or don't joint this forum. I am pleased with that information, as I would like to apply same. Thank you!

Thanks for the positive feedback. I know it's not a very exciting post, as everything went smoothly, and it's usually more interesting to read about someone being denied a visa because of some arcane technicality or new rule. I'm very glad to say that didn't happen though!

Anyway, unexciting as it may be, it does at least show what was needed (this week!) in Jomtien if you wanted to go the cash-in-bank route for a retirement extension. There's nothing unusual or onerous, so I must admit that I have been worrying too much these past few months. Having followed this forum closely since August, I was feeling confident that I had things right when I went to make the application, and that was a big help.

Yesterday I was speaking to a guy in Pattaya who has lived in Thailand for 20+ years and seems to know the place quite well. I mentioned that Immigration kept the passport for a day, even though they had already stamped and stapled everything in it. He said that one of the computer terminals in the Jomtien office is hooked directly into the main Pattaya Police Station on Soi 9, and that they cross-check every application for any history with the police. I wonder what you would have to have done to make them stamp a big "CANCELLED" notice on your brand new retirement extension stamp?

As far as the bank charge of 200 Baht for the letter goes, it's honestly not a big deal. The basic cost of the new extension plus re-entry permit is 1900 + 3800 Baht, or 5700 Baht. Then there's the loss of interest on the 800K Baht in the bank for 90 days, plus all the photocopying and running around the place. The whole process cost about 10,000 Baht in my case, so 200 Baht is neither here nor there. Anyway, being able to walk into SCB and get a nice letter on headed notepaper on the spot for £3 ($6) seems good value to me. I hate to think what such a letter would cost in the UK!

The only bit of the paperwork that I missed was the copy of the ID page from my passport to go with the multiple re-entry permit application form (TM8). Perhaps it has been mentioned here in the past and I simply didn't pick up on it, or is it something new? Either way, the helpful lady who pointed me to desk 3 for the application told me what I needed, so I was able to pop to the shop outside and get a quick photocopy without having to interrupt a session with the Immigration guy, which is probably annoying for both sides.

It's interesting that Tilac reports not needing to provide a copy of a card going the mixed income-savings route. I wonder at what point they will decide that the savings aren't adequate, and ask for a card? For example:

100% savings and 0% income – no card needed

0% savings and 100% income – need a card

70% savings and 30% income - ??? (maybe no card needed?)

30% savings and 70% income - ??? (maybe need a card?)

50% savings and 50% income – who knows?????

Tilac, would you mind telling us what the percentages were of savings and income in your case to try and fill in one bit of the missing data?

My income from my pension is sufficent to meet Thai immigration requirements however, (as you know), they still require that you have a local bank account. I was prepared with a copy of my bank ATM card but did not offer it to the officer and she did not ask for it. It could be that it is only needed on a "case by case" basis. My advice would be to have a copy of your bank card or credit card ready but only provide it if requested by immigration.