Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

*bump*

Let's keep this topic alive. We could be at a turning point - one member has reported getting only a single-entry tourist visa in Vientiane this week.

Please keep reporting successes or failures from Vientiane here.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi All,

Just wondering if they issue Lao visas at the border crossing near Udon on Sundays? If so,does anyone know what time the issuing office would close? Cheers!

Friendship Bridge is a major border crossing. They're open everyday until 10pm.

Friendship Bridge is a major border crossing. They're open everyday until 10pm.

Thanks for that Tropo :o So I'm presuming that if I arrived in Udon on the Nok Air flight at 5.40pm on Sunday afternoon I'd have well and truly enough time to get hold of a Lao visa and cross the border before it closes?

will be heading up to Vientiane in the next week or two, and will post another update.

it's worth noting that you need to make sure and use your second entry BEFORE the visa expires. if you get a 30 day extension you may still have time left before you're in overstay, yet if you stay that long your visa will expire. this happened to AHEM a friend of mine that is why i --errr i mean he--- has to go to Vientiane in the next week or two.

also worth noting, when i checked into my flight back to Thailand at KL, they fussed about seeing an onward ticket out of Thailand. this has never happened to me before in KL. ultimately they let me go, as i had the (expired) visa. no problems at Suvarnabumi however; except that i *almost* got away with using the 2nd entry on the expired visa.

will be heading up to Vientiane in the next week or two, and will post another update.

it's worth noting that you need to make sure and use your second entry BEFORE the visa expires. if you get a 30 day extension you may still have time left before you're in overstay, yet if you stay that long your visa will expire. this happened to AHEM a friend of mine that is why i --errr i mean he--- has to go to Vientiane in the next week or two.

also worth noting, when i checked into my flight back to Thailand at KL, they fussed about seeing an onward ticket out of Thailand. this has never happened to me before in KL. ultimately they let me go, as i had the (expired) visa. no problems at Suvarnabumi however; except that i *almost* got away with using the 2nd entry on the expired visa.

Am I correct in deducing, then, that the Vientiane consulate only gives you 90 days from the date of visa issue to use however many entries you get? I was hoping for 180 days, but I bet that's too optimistic.

Okay, last question. Suppose I were to fly up on May 6th in order to go to the consulate on May 7th. Assuming I'm able to pick up my passport on the 8th, would I have enough time to make it back to Udon Thani for a 5:40 PM flight back to Bangkok? I guess what I'm really asking is how long it takes for one to pick up a processed passport at the consulate.

oh man i just looked at that holidays list and see that May 1 is listed. so... if I submit the visa app on the 30th of april, can I pick up the visa on the 2nd of May and still get back to the airport in Udon for a flight at 13:50? (if so, how would i get there quickly from the consulate?)

also, are there any more reports of people recently able to get a double entry visa?

Edited by girlx

oh man i just looked at that holidays list and see that May 1 is listed. so... if I submit the visa app on the 30th of april, can I pick up the visa on the 2nd of May and still get back to the airport in Udon for a flight at 13:50? (if so, how would i get there quickly from the consulate?)

also, are there any more reports of people recently able to get a double entry visa?

If you're written the correct flight time there is no way you'll make it back on time. You won't be able to pick up your visa until 13:00.

Okay, last question. Suppose I were to fly up on May 6th in order to go to the consulate on May 7th. Assuming I'm able to pick up my passport on the 8th, would I have enough time to make it back to Udon Thani for a 5:40 PM flight back to Bangkok? I guess what I'm really asking is how long it takes for one to pick up a processed passport at the consulate.

Back in January I took the same flight (AirAsia 5:40 pm). I was about 90 minutes early for it - and I was taking my time.

Edited by tropo

If you're written the correct flight time there is no way you'll make it back on time. You won't be able to pick up your visa until 13:00.

rrrg off to change my flights then... will it still be possible for me to find transportation from vientiane to udon airport on may 1 even though it is a holiday? thanks

rrrg off to change my flights then... will it still be possible for me to find transportation from vientiane to udon airport on may 1 even though it is a holiday? thanks

If May 1 is a holiday, then you won't be picking up your passport until 13:00 on May 2.

They'll be plenty of transport available any day of the week between Vientiane and Udon Thani. When you've gone through the Thai border checkpoint there are many minivans waiting to take you to Udon...a shared ride will cost you about 150 baht.

Back in January I took the same flight (AirAsia 5:40 pm). I was about 90 minutes early for it - and I was taking my time.

Awesome. Thanks Tropo.

Thai EMBASSY or CONSULATE ?

Where to go, to apply/get 2 entries ?

Can someone who have been there and got 2 entry TV, please clearify if there are 2 different locations or not, and what place to go to ( adress please).

Reading all the posts here, make it confusing, because some write "Embassy" others write "Consulate"

Embassy or Consulate ?

Adress ?

Thai EMBASSY or CONSULATE ?

Where to go, to apply/get 2 entries ?

Can someone who have been there and got 2 entry TV, please clearify if there are 2 different locations or not, and what place to go to ( adress please).

Reading all the posts here, make it confusing, because some write "Embassy" others write "Consulate"

Embassy or Consulate ?

Adress ?

There's only one place to get a TV and it's at the Consular section of the Thai Embassy. Go back in this thread and have a look at the photos I posted recently. That's were you go. A few other members have indicated the street directions but any tuk-tuk will know exactly where to take you.

90 days.

I thought 180 days for double entry ? Isn't that what Vientiane is famous for ?

It's no big deal really. With a 90 day double-entry tourist visa, timed correctly you'll get 180 days anyway.

Edited by tropo

90 days.

I thought 180 days for double entry ? Isn't that what Vientiane is famous for ?

"Now this is my first Tourist x 2 so ill presume ill get

arrived back yesterday and got 60 days

then top up at jontiem 30 days

then cambodia border 60 days (for double entry)

then top up at jontiem 30 days

then ill just do 2 x border runs keping1 left for plan b thats 60 days

so in theory thats 8 months sorted!

now if i have added this wrong please let me know, as i say it is my first double entry!"

its sort of the way its added up and if you do it in the correct order if you like, not always possible, as is life!

chris

I got a double entry a couple of days ago, no problems.

I took my passport in 10.30 on a Friday. There was no queue.  Picked up Monday 1 p.m. Very quick.

Great! Thanks for reporting the good news.

Why hasn't any agent advertised services for trips to Vientiane for 2x Tourist VISA ?

I've read some of the threads where some of you guys were able to travel alone to Vientiane and get the papers sorted out. It's great, but I don't think I've the confidence to travel alone since it's going to be my first trip.

I'd love to know if there is any agent doing it, just like the way it's being done for Ban Laem border run, where everything is being taken care of. Jack Golf has indicated in its website that it no longer offers Vientiane. It's strange that such a popular route and important trip of VISA runners there is no single advertisement.

Why hasn't any agent advertised services for trips to Vientiane for 2x Tourist VISA ?

I've read some of the threads where some of you guys were able to travel alone to Vientiane and get the papers sorted out. It's great, but I don't think I've the confidence to travel alone since it's going to be my first trip.

I'd love to know if there is any agent doing it, just like the way it's being done for Ban Laem border run, where everything is being taken care of. Jack Golf has indicated in its website that it no longer offers Vientiane. It's strange that such a popular route and important trip of VISA runners there is no single advertisement.

the consulate STRONGLY discourages the use of agents; i'm in Vientiane now (2nd time) and i have yet to see an agent queued up. maybe that has something to do with visa run services not offering any trips.

it's very easy though, first time or no. there is an overnight bus from Kao Sarn area, takes you straight to Vientiane (well, more or less. you have to change buses at the border, etc but you don't have to think once you're on the bus). just about any travel agent can hook you up. it's about 800 baht if i recall.

you can fly directly there, but tha'ts a bit pricey. bangkok airways do it and lao airways. maybe others. you can also fly to Udon Thani, on Dare Asia, and take a bus from there.

you can take the MRT to the end of the line (the end closest to Silom, i forget the name) and go to the train station and buy a train ticket to Nong Khai. then you just take a tuk tuk to the Lao border (40 baht). the taxi or tuk tuk on the other side will be more expensive as it is a 22 km trip. it will range from 150 to 300 baht.

once in Vientiane you can pay in baht or dollars; you will most likely get your change in baht. there are ATMs here but i haven't used 'em.

like most of southeast asia vientiane has so many guest houses and hotels that you do not need to book in advance. i'm sure you can but i never do. i stay at really cheap guest houses, but there are decent hotels here too if that's your thing.

as stated on this thread many times, you drop off your passport at the Thai Consulate (here's a good map of Vientiane http://hobomaps.com/VientianeCentralMap.htm). they open at 8.30 am; you need 2 passport photos, the form, (downloadable from a link on this very thread) and a photocopy of your passport. for double entry you add x2 next to the tick box for tourist visa (or ask the guy at the desk for help with the form). i get to the consulate at 7.30 am and tend to be one of the first people there. they close the gate at 12 so you have time to go later in theory. i haven't heard anything reliable indicating that they are imposing quotas on 2x tourist visas, but i get there early just in case (and so i can spend the morning at the morning market shopping DVDs).

i was a little worried as i'd heard they were now taking 2 days to process, but i pick up mine today (dropped off yesterday). i wanted to take the train but didn't book it as i wasn't sure how long i had to stay, and now it's full. i could go to Nong Khai and take my chances but i decided to take the bus, which i booked at my guest house.

really that's just about all there is to it. i don't speak Thai or Lao, and i'm basically an idiot, yet i can do this with no problem. so no doubt you can too.

PS if in the unlikely event i have any problem, such as being issued a single rather than double entry, or even denied a visa, i'll post an update. from what i here (both on this forum and from other visa runners) that hardly ever happens.

the consulate STRONGLY discourages the use of agents; i'm in Vientiane now (2nd time) and i have yet to see an agent queued up. maybe that has something to do with visa run services not offering any trips.

it's very easy though, first time or no. there is an overnight bus from Kao Sarn area, takes you straight to Vientiane (well, more or less. you have to change buses at the border, etc but you don't have to think once you're on the bus). just about any travel agent can hook you up. it's about 800 baht if i recall.

you can fly directly there, but tha'ts a bit pricey. bangkok airways do it and lao airways. maybe others. you can also fly to Udon Thani, on Dare Asia, and take a bus from there.

you can take the MRT to the end of the line (the end closest to Silom, i forget the name) and go to the train station and buy a train ticket to Nong Khai. then you just take a tuk tuk to the Lao border (40 baht). the taxi or tuk tuk on the other side will be more expensive as it is a 22 km trip. it will range from 150 to 300 baht.

once in Vientiane you can pay in baht or dollars; you will most likely get your change in baht. there are ATMs here but i haven't used 'em.

like most of southeast asia vientiane has so many guest houses and hotels that you do not need to book in advance. i'm sure you can but i never do. i stay at really cheap guest houses, but there are decent hotels here too if that's your thing.

as stated on this thread many times, you drop off your passport at the Thai Consulate (here's a good map of Vientiane http://hobomaps.com/VientianeCentralMap.htm). they open at 8.30 am; you need 2 passport photos, the form, (downloadable from a link on this very thread) and a photocopy of your passport. for double entry you add x2 next to the tick box for tourist visa (or ask the guy at the desk for help with the form). i get to the consulate at 7.30 am and tend to be one of the first people there. they close the gate at 12 so you have time to go later in theory. i haven't heard anything reliable indicating that they are imposing quotas on 2x tourist visas, but i get there early just in case (and so i can spend the morning at the morning market shopping DVDs).

i was a little worried as i'd heard they were now taking 2 days to process, but i pick up mine today (dropped off yesterday). i wanted to take the train but didn't book it as i wasn't sure how long i had to stay, and now it's full. i could go to Nong Khai and take my chances but i decided to take the bus, which i booked at my guest house.

really that's just about all there is to it. i don't speak Thai or Lao, and i'm basically an idiot, yet i can do this with no problem. so no doubt you can too.

PS if in the unlikely event i have any problem, such as being issued a single rather than double entry, or even denied a visa, i'll post an update. from what i here (both on this forum and from other visa runners) that hardly ever happens.

Good report, and look forward to update

chris

ps map link didnt work for me

Hi all! Well I just got back from Vientiane last night with a nice new 2 month double entry visa! Flew to Udon with Nok on Sunday night, handed in my application on Monday morning... was worth paying the 50 baht to the guys who fill in the form for you across the road from the embassy cos when I arrived at about 8.15am there were tonnes of people lined up outside (see pic... but bear in mind that the line snakes around in a U shape even more at the start, which I couldnt catch in the pic!). Maybe that's just cos it was Monday though. Probably took an hour and a half to get to the front of the line... and yes, it's hot! Take sunscreen and water :o there is a photo shop just down the road that opens really early if you need some pics taken as well... you will pass it on your left-hand side if you're coming in from town. Best to get the tuktuk driver to stop and wait for you while you get it done.

Went back Tuesday at 1pm and it was all ready... only took about 30 minutes of lining up to collect it. I'd budgeted for an extra night "just in case" but luckily I was able to spend that sitting by the Mekong with a few Beerlaos! There are heaps of cool little BBQ places down there.

Bloody tuktuk driver ripped me off on the way back to the border yesterday but it was only 30 baht... so no big deal. Watch those guys though... they'll try it on at every opportunity... especially with 3 different currencies in use! Had plenty of them quote me a price in one currency and then upon arrival they would demand to be paid the "equivalent" in another currency, which was of course way more than it should have been. Best to memorise all 3 conversion rates before you go (and get rid of all your Lao Kip before you leave the country cos I'm told u cant exchange it anywhere else). Set off from Vientiane in my tuktuk at about 1.45pm and made it to Udon airport to catch the 6.10pm flight... which ended up being delayed almost 3 hours cos of weather! Luckily they had nice big comfy chairs in the departure lounge. Overall a great experience... got the result I was after and enjoyed the trip too... can't ask for much more than that eh :D

post-59485-1209105612_thumb.jpg

since the link doesn't work, go to the root site. not only will you find the maps of Vientiane, but many other fine towns in the Mekong region.

http://hobomaps.com/

by the way, double entry visa CONFIRMED. this time i promise to be slightly less retarded and be sure to use my second entry before it expires.

picked it up at 20 past one, there were two lines, totalling about 40 people, but the lines moved very fast. definitely go mid-week rather than on a monday if you can. timing-wise, should be fairly easy to make it to Udon Thani for those who choose to fly.

regarding tuk tuk drivers and currency confusion, i think the numbers are confusing. when i said i could only pay in baht, it turns out to be 40 baht cheaper. maybe he was confused... or maybe he just really, really likes baht.