I undestand that there are a few companies selling time shares in ares like Pattaya, Phuket, and Koh Samui.  Does anybody have any info on this subject.  Is it wise to consider this as potential employment?

I don't know from personal experience, however from watching TV documentaries on this, I would'nt touch a timeshare with a bamboo pole with gloves on whilst blindfolded and standing upside down shouting, scam scam scally scam!

There are as you know a lot of scams in Thailand, it does'nt take a genius to figure out they're all related to timeshare.

To me, it's almost as bad as drug running. The concept to me at least is flawed along with the people involved in it.  I would'nt be at all surprised if there was a relationship between the 2 groups of people.  Worse still is those who try to brain wash you that pyramid schemes and timeshare is safe, when you hear that, you know to leave immediately for your own safety!

Why on earth would you want to get involved with this?  You sound like you have no real estate selling experience, so why go from a semi-respectable industry to timeshare?

What are your goals? To live in Thailand, or to make some money?

Regards

In Phuket reps working for tour agencies used to get complaints from tourists about down and out farangs on motorcycles hassling them about timeshares. They used to operate on the beach road, but after Thai authorities started clamping down on this, they moved into the side streets.

Possibly there might be somewhat more reputable companies who are selling some kind of timesharing which is less obviously a scam, but anyways if the timesharing company cannot supply you with a work permit, I would give this type of employment a wide berth.

DazDaz, my goals are to live in Thailand and I am just pondering other ways of earning a living.  The english gig sounds like the way to go, however, it seems to fall short about $ 200-$300 USD in monthly pay to live comfortably.  I figure somewhere around the $1000 USD a month would do the job.  This would allow a good time with some luxuries.

How about setting up a hotel?  This is something that appeals a great deal to me, in fact has done so for many years, way before I discovered Thailand.

Lots and lots of hard work.  You probably want to work towards getting into a big name overseas(outside Thailand) chain, else you could rebel and trade independently.  It would be a long term plan, but an honest living and you'd get to meet lots of people.

I've not seen any books on setting up a hotel in Thailand, in fact i've not even researched this topic, however I would think you can learn a lot from the general gist from general books and hands on experience.

Does anyone have any real experience here? I'd be interested in what's involved.

You don't mention any areas of skillset?  I would guess sales? A good salesman is always required.

Regards

• 2 years later...
I would'nt touch a timeshare with a bamboo pole with gloves on whilst blindfolded and standing upside down shouting, scam scam scally scam!

I smiled a lot reading your words :D

I'm collecting informations about the same matter but I have the same doubts.

Nobody gives you anything for nothing (about job and money), specially in Thailand. :D

Why on earth would you want to get involved with this?  You sound like you have no real estate selling experience, so why go from a semi-respectable industry to timeshare?

I'm a lucky worker in a semi-respectable industry and I'm breaking my mind thinking what can i do to survive in my dreamland (Phuket) without loosing money and time with foolish businesses. It's the reason why I'm looking for a dependent job possibly with a big international company.

In the next month I will try to learn thai language.

I will be glad to receive suggestions, ideas and useful informations from people with some job exeperience. :o

Edited by bolognamare

Site Copyright 2001?

Best viewed with IE 4?

From the Current events page; - The organization of the seminar on "Past , Present and Future of Timeshare Business " in Thailand at March 19 - 20 2001, Sheraton Grande Hotel to discuss the opportunity and future trend of timeshare business in Thailand.

That's a really up-to date and happening organization! NOT!