Phuket As A Potential Place To Live

girlx

I am considering scouting out Phuket as a place to live. Can anyone answer these questions?:

-Is there enough dependable infrastructure there ie. are broadband connections easy to find?

-What are the rents like for a decent sized 1-bedroom with a yard for a dog?

-What is the best area to look in if you are in your late 20s/early 30s- I like to live in a quiet place but close to nightlife and conveniences.

-Are there Carrefours and Tescos and such?

-Is there a songthaew system in Phuket?

-I have heard that there is a lot more crime these days in Phuket, especially with ladyboys... can anyone comment?

I have been before but it's been awhile, thanks for any info...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That a whole bunch of questions...

Try to answer some.

Infrastructure (in my opinion) is quite good in the more popular areas (other might disagree with that statement). ADSL is widely available, but not so good in outlaying areas.

Doubt you will get a one bedroom with a yard for dog. Rents very variable depending on area. Patong most expensive, Chalong cheaper, Phuket town cheapest. Could be anywhere from 5,000 - 20,000 baht month for a decent one bed apartment with kitchen. Cheaper places unlikely to have phone line = no ADSL.

Places to look = many. Patong, Kamala, Karon, Kata, Chalong, Rawai are the more popular.

Carrefour in Patong. Tesco in Phuket town. Also Big C in Phuket Town.

No songthaews on Phuket Island. Have a sort of public bus sytem running radially out from Phuket Town, but not between resorts. Stops about 18.00.

Crime ?? Various reports inticate crime is up, read various reports on this forum.

Thes are just a few scrambled thoughts .... :o

There are songthaews all over the place. And the ones from the tourist areas drop you off at either Central (Tops) or in Phuket Town, right at the Thai Airways offices. Great place to get off at.

Carrefour at Jungceylon in Patong.

Rent in Phuket Town vary wildly. I do not venture to Patong or Kata Karon unless I want semi decent falang food. Where I live, in the area where there are 7 different villages (Villa 3, California, 2, 5, Sabai and others), rentals go from 4500 for a two bedroom, tiny garden, to 30,000 a month for a new two story house by the weekend market near Central.

Many choices. Good luck.

No songthaews on Phuket Island. Have a sort of public bus sytem running radially out from Phuket Town, but not between resorts. Stops about 18.00.

There are songthaews all over the place. And the ones from the tourist areas drop you off at either Central (Tops) or in Phuket Town, right at the Thai Airways offices. Great place to get off at.

Depends what you consider as a 'songthaew'. I really don't consider the local buses as a songthaew. My main point is this service stops early at about 18.00, so nothing available in evening other than taxi or Tuk Tuk.

Doubt you will get a one bedroom with a yard for dog.

Thanks for the info, why is that? Are houses for rent typically in some sort of housing development? I am thinking I would like to live more local-style, is there an area where this is more likely?

The songthaew and bus services also have some route limitations. Probably won't affect you but best to check out the routes before you rent (if you intend to place a lot of reliance on public transport). Another option for location is Kathu ('behind' Patong on the other side of the hill). Far cheaper than Patong but relatively close, with public transport to Phuket Town and Patong readily available. Okay if you are on a limited budget. If you want to be closer to the beach and availability of some nightlife, then Kata, Karon or Kamala should probably be high on your list. Note that there is no direct public transport (bus or songthaew services) between Kata/Karon and Patong (you have to go into Phuket Town and back out again - long trip) whereas there is public transport between Kamala and Patong during the day. Also be aware that tuk tuk prices have skyrocketed in the past few years, so if you want an evening out in Patong, you will need to include four to six hundred baht for return transport. The other option is to look for cheaper places in Patong (around the Soi Nanai area), but they are becoming few and far between. Check out the local real estate agent adds (Google) and Phuket Gazette classifieds to get some price range ideas.

Doubt you will get a one bedroom with a yard for dog.

Thanks for the info, why is that? Are houses for rent typically in some sort of housing development? I am thinking I would like to live more local-style, is there an area where this is more likely?

Most one bedroom 'houses' are apartments, which are not likely to have a yard or garden. Easier to rent a small 2 bedroom house with a garden/yard. Beware that many home owners do not rent to dog owners. Usually only family type accomodation in the 'housing developements'. These are mostly located on the roads between Chalong and Phuket Town, as previously mentioned - '7 different villages (Villa 3, California, 2, 5, Sabai and others'. It's unlikely that you will be renting in a developement.

I recommend you look in Chalong, Kathu, & Kamala areas for a dog friendly small budget home.

I have three dogs and most sois have dogs. Just ask. You might be surprised what the owners say.

I AM an owner .. :o and I know plenty other owners. Maybe OK if home has a walled garden, like the moobans. But Apartments ??? All sois have far too many street (soi) dogs. And have pity on any dog kept indoors much of the day.

I am considering scouting out Phuket as a place to live. Can anyone answer these questions?:

-Is there enough dependable infrastructure there ie. are broadband connections easy to find?

-What are the rents like for a decent sized 1-bedroom with a yard for a dog?

-What is the best area to look in if you are in your late 20s/early 30s- I like to live in a quiet place but close to nightlife and conveniences.

-Are there Carrefours and Tescos and such?

-Is there a songthaew system in Phuket?

-I have heard that there is a lot more crime these days in Phuket, especially with ladyboys... can anyone comment?

I have been before but it's been awhile, thanks for any info...

Phuket is diametrically opposed to somewhere like Koh Pan Ngan. It is said that Phuket is all about money and sex and that is, for the most part, true. Unless you want to spend your time in some all fur and no knickers bar up Cherng Talay way talking about your latest killing in the property biz, or in some seasonally adjusted sex bar in Patong, I'd really have another reckie here before any relocation.

It's a huge area, and you won't be able to get around without your own transport - hazardous on a bike, but possible. There are NO SONGTAEWS. The poster who said there was is mistaken and referring to the smaller versions of the bigger buses, and they ALL stop at 5pm. So you will be well and truly stuck wherever you are.

I have seen posters recommending Patong. Not if you aren't into ladyboys and beerbars you won't (and to forestall any 'Oh but the Martini Bar's nice and single woman/family oriented) yes, but in the low season, not even a half decent conversation with the odd tourist/traveller). See first paragraph.

And as for the rest, yes, it's a very lovely island, but I would counsel that if you are not actually going to be doing something here, studying to be an English teacher, writing a book or painting (which requires seclusion) or married to a Thai national and will be helping out with his business, you will find yourself very isolated as someone in their late twenties/early thirties. Come back and refresh your memory first :o

Don't stay in Kamala if you are a dog lover. It's a muslim area and many dogs have been poisoned by the locals.

Also, to get anywhere from Kamala is a pain in the arse. It is a long way from anywhere.

I have been living in Kamala over 10 years and YES there have been a few dog poisonings and thats it. I would say no worse than anywhere else.

Yes Kamala takes 10-15 minutes to patong, 30 Minutes to Central/lotus, 35 to Phuket Town

40 to the Airport

and i wouldn't live anywhere else on the island :-)

It is the most thai place on the islands that Farnags choose to live and feel good in. No where else on the island (Patong/Karon/kata/Kathu) is the local poplutlation Born in the area

Great beach/great restaurants on the beach, (in the high season)/ small bar scene. Many Farangs start out in patong and end up here cause its so nice and peacfull, ( unlike Patong/Karon/kata)

I love that so many people write bad things about Kamala, Keeps the people away.

PLUS it has the most expensive AND best deals on houses on the island!!

You can rent small 2 bedroom house for 10,000 baht /month or buy a place for US$ 2-3 MILLION

Edited by phuketrichard

Phuket is diametrically opposed to somewhere like Koh Pan Ngan.

Thanks, I do realize this but Koh Phangan is a bit too small and isolated for me these days, no conveniences where I live, no live music or movie theaters or Tesco. Options near the beach are few... I hate Samui so thought of Phuket. I will come and have a look before moving, but if anyone has other suggestions I would love to hear them, thanks!

It is the most thai place on the islands that Farnags choose to live and feel good in. No where else on the island (Patong/Karon/kata/Kathu) is the local poplutlation Born in the area

Cobblers!

Rawai has many people born there. same goes for Nai Harn, Chalong, Cherng Talay and all points inbetween.

... and cobblers to those who say there are no songthaews. Pardon me; I mean to say I respectfully disagree. 'Songthaew' means 'two rows', referring to the benches at either side. They are generally associated with the utes and small trucks with steel canopies but, at least as far as the local Thais are concerned, they also refer to the open-aired timber covered smaller and larger bus types (as opposed, for example, to an actual bus with the normal bus-type seating). The posters who said there are no songthaews are probably taking a stricter definition of the steel canopied jobbies, but let's not get our pedantic little knickers in a knot - you probably now understand the situation itself.

It should also be pointed out (once again) that 'Patong' is not 'Phuket'... and IMO Tamsin has a rather jaundiced view of the place (not baiting you Tamsin - just the way I see it). You can enjoy just about any lifestyle you desire on the island. For exampe, there are still plenty of small villages (predominantly muslim) dotted around the place - particularly on the eastern coast - that are isolated from through traffic. However, to (again once again :o ) point out, people have differing views of that which constitutes a pleasant lifestyle, so Tamsin's advice to check the place out before you make a final decision is probably sound.

As to whether/why you choose not to acquire private transport is, of course, a matter for you and will be a significant factor in your ultimate choice of location.

Edit: clarification

Edited by Ping

Phuket is diametrically opposed to somewhere like Koh Pan Ngan. It is said that Phuket is all about money and sex and that is, for the most part, true. Unless you want to spend your time in some all fur and no knickers bar up Cherng Talay way talking about your latest killing in the property biz, or in some seasonally adjusted sex bar in Patong, I'd really have another reckie here before any relocation.

What a load of rubbish. Phuket Island is rich in all sorts of lifestyles from a basic rural life through to night club life. There is something for everyone. The so called 'sex' areas are only limited to a fraction of a percentage of the area mass of Phuket Island. 'All fur & no knickers'.... what a quaint term, have no heard that expression for years. Could find those sort of people anywhere in the world, no idea why you identify with them.

Girllrig,

Come on over and pay me a vist, I'm sure also Jamie will help you out with all questions.

I will give you my opinions and ideas, just as biased as anybody elses on the forum, you can rent a bike and ride around and see what you like and don't like about the island, see if you could find an area you would like to live in, and maybe even orient yourself on a bungalow.

Cheers,

Steven

I don't s'pose it's escaped your notice Girlx, that each and everyone of the respondents to your post are, er, male. One of whom includes in his little online profile: 'from 2nd bar left on beach etc', whatever, and the words 'distended member', which would definitely ring some alarm bells for me as to which particular, oh god, no, wait for the double entendre, angle, he's coming from.

As to rich and varied. What? Where? Muslims in Kamala. Hmmm, nice an quiet but no party. Sea Gypsies in Rawai? PS, to that poster, try walking down Rawai seafront after 8pm. Nothing. Nada. Niente. 'Part from a few scandies beating shit out of each other outside the 'Freedom' 'Charlie, 'e's a larf' bar. And of course that watering hole for the truly dug in expat, Nikitas.

Try to use your imagination (sorry, forgot your moniker), limited as it probably was when you landed, and deteriorating by the nanosecond here with your little two bedroom bungalow for when the missus's family come to stay, and occasional foray to Big C or Lotut (sic). This is a young woman in her late twenties/early thirties.

Forget it Girlx. Go check out CM again. Okay no sea. But more the same kind of scene available to you as KP, and you will not be treated to the unedifying sight of decrepit 'bikers', having cashed in their pension fund to buy a second hand harley, complete with little Thailette riding pillion on their way to Big C for the SHOPinnnnnng, each and every day of the bloody week.

I don't s'pose it's escaped your notice Girlx, that each and everyone of the respondents to your post are, er, male. One of whom includes in his little online profile: 'from 2nd bar left on beach etc', whatever, and the words 'distended member', which would definitely ring some alarm bells for me as to which particular, oh god, no, wait for the double entendre, angle, he's coming from.

As to rich and varied. What? Where? Muslims in Kamala. Hmmm, nice an quiet but no party. Sea Gypsies in Rawai? PS, to that poster, try walking down Rawai seafront after 8pm. Nothing. Nada. Niente. 'Part from a few scandies beating shit out of each other outside the 'Freedom' 'Charlie, 'e's a larf' bar. And of course that watering hole for the truly dug in expat, Nikitas.

Try to use your imagination (sorry, forgot your moniker), limited as it probably was when you landed, and deteriorating by the nanosecond here with your little two bedroom bungalow for when the missus's family come to stay, and occasional foray to Big C or Lotut (sic). This is a young woman in her late twenties/early thirties.

Forget it Girlx. Go check out CM again. Okay no sea. But more the same kind of scene available to you as KP, and you will not be treated to the unedifying sight of decrepit 'bikers', having cashed in their pension fund to buy a second hand harley, complete with little Thailette riding pillion on their way to Big C for the SHOPinnnnnng, each and every day of the bloody week.

Guess I must go to a different Rawai to Tamsin - I go out after 8pm :o Sunshine bar, MnMs, Mando all seem lively to me - and I am female (a female reply for you). Cannot comment on CM as have not been there yet.

Tamsin, so I guess you don't live on Phuket Island ?

I'm a male, but been with the same lady 12+ years, don't go out to bars in the evening, live a quiet almost boring home life. I actually know other responders to this post, and they are not all piss artists.

You really seem to have an extreme impression of Phuket and it's male inhabitants. This extreme attitude make me wonder about your agenda.

Thank you, Tamsin. Please apply some mufflers to your alarm bells - you are disturbing people.

hrmm, have to disagree, that same element is all over chiang mai as well. i like chiang mai, but it is not a place i would want to live. phuket might not be either- it seems options are limited when you are looking for a mix of beautiful laid back lifestyle with modern conveniences.

well i go away for a few days and look what happens.

ok, as a WOMAN living on phuket, i can tell you that it does have modern conveniences, and i ditto most of what others have already said.

with regards to the fact that phuket ONLY caters to the sexpat/sex tourist crowd, well this is wrong. i WORK in patong, and personally think its a shit hole. i LIVE in kathu, however, and the area i live is lovely. i have a 2 bedroom house with a garden, the best landlord in the world, a maintenance man who i can call at any time of the day, high speed internet (OK, its not worked for a few days), i live close to central for shopping, movies, restaurants, of course there are two 7-11's close to me, and the area is dog friendly.

so there you go. phuket is an ok place to live, but it is comparitively expensive compared to other areas in thailand.