Restaurant Review: Sunrise Tacos, Close To Nana

canadiangirl

They need time after punching in to:

Call mom, noodle break, pick nose, take a nap, fool around, gossip, play with phone, SMS.......

I hired two college graduates for my office staff.

They were both an hour late on the first day!

One was washing her dog and the other was watching football.

I explained they had to be on time and they looked perplexed.

I'm not supprised, the cheek of it, anyone would have thought you were paying their wages.... :o

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

Ordered again thisevening, and as expected things sure have turned around. One of the best burritos i've ever had from there, still hot when delivered, perfectly weighted & wrapped. Taco's spot on, they now put the sour cream & salsa in seperate pot so the taco doesn't get soggy.

:o

No doubt a few of the less enthusiastic employees have had a burrito shoved where the sun doesn't shine.

I ordered tacos and burritos through the Chefsxp.com service....VERY good packaging and time on delivery (very convenient)... :o actually much better delivery than ordering direct from the shop (on a delivery basis)

Only problem is that he's hired one or two staff from the phillipines -and it caused problems so far as communications went. I'm a assuming they are new. Nothing wrong with that (especially if they are new) but they need to work on their ability to understand non-N.American accents (my wife - a kiwi - had to repeat the order 5 times).

please dont be too harsh...I have an American accent and often cant understand some British accents, or some Aussie /Kiwi accents...(I do understand for the most part their television newscasters)....

I was in the subway/tube in London and went to the window to purchase tickets..the rather large but friendly lady said something in rapid and clipped succession (she seemed to understand me, but the only thing I caught from her was "thank ya 'luv" (repeating things did not help)....

I was in the subway/tube in London and went to the window to purchase tickets..the rather large but friendly lady said something in rapid and clipped succession (she seemed to understand me, but the only thing I caught from her was "thank ya 'luv" (repeating things did not help)....

Did she sound like she'd just smoke 5 tabs of yabba like the girl who takes orders over the phone? :o

The idea that burritos don't travel well is nonsense since I've ordered many times from Burritoville and other local eateries back in the states, and the food was always excellent. If there is a problem, it's the methods used to prepare and pack the food. Burritoville and Chipotle have managed to get the real (i.e. not Taco Bell) burrito and taco franchise thing going well, so maybe Greg should check them out on his next visit, though I suspect he has already based his business off Chiptole but is not quite there yet. It would probably cost too much to make food similar to Chipotle though, but it's not like Sunrise is cheap to begin with, by Thai standards of course.

The idea that burritos don't travel well is nonsense since I've ordered many times from Burritoville and other local eateries back in the states, and the food was always excellent. If there is a problem, it's the methods used to prepare and pack the food. Burritoville and Chipotle have managed to get the real (i.e. not Taco Bell) burrito and taco franchise thing going well, so maybe Greg should check them out on his next visit, though I suspect he has already based his business off Chiptole but is not quite there yet. It would probably cost too much to make food similar to Chipotle though, but it's not like Sunrise is cheap to begin with, by Thai standards of course.

Never heard of Burritoville, but Chipotle burritos are the worst I've ever had and is by no means 'real' Mexican, no surprise they travel well, everything is dry, bland, and they don't even offer Mexican rice or refried beans. A burrito from a real taqueria, with Mexican rice, refried beans, juicy carnitas, sour cream, salsa, and guac just does not travel well. The only way to stop it from getting soggy is to separate all the ingredients and put it together yourself later.

If I order a take away burrito I can't eat right away, from Sunrise or any other taqueria, I put different ingredients in then if I'm going to eat the burrito now. The burrito I eat now will have refried beans, carnitas, sour cream, and lots of salsa. The burrito I keep for later will have drained black beans, carne asada or chicken, and no sour cream or salsa unless it can come on the side. A lot of real Mexican food just isn't going to last long, it's too juicy and everything falls apart if you can't eat it right away.

• 2 months later...

Went to Sunrise with some friends. They each ordered 3 tacos with guacamole. They were a bit "cheesed off" when they saw 150 baht plus tax on the bill for the guacamole. They were never informed there was a "luxury surcharge" of 25 baht/taco for the guac. when the filipino waiter took the order.... live and learn.....

Never heard of Burritoville, but Chipotle burritos are the worst I've ever had and is by no means 'real' Mexican, no surprise they travel well, everything is dry, bland, and they don't even offer Mexican rice or refried beans. A burrito from a real taqueria, with Mexican rice, refried beans, juicy carnitas, sour cream, salsa, and guac just does not travel well. The only way to stop it from getting soggy is to separate all the ingredients and put it together yourself later.

If I order a take away burrito I can't eat right away, from Sunrise or any other taqueria, I put different ingredients in then if I'm going to eat the burrito now. The burrito I eat now will have refried beans, carnitas, sour cream, and lots of salsa. The burrito I keep for later will have drained black beans, carne asada or chicken, and no sour cream or salsa unless it can come on the side. A lot of real Mexican food just isn't going to last long, it's too juicy and everything falls apart if you can't eat it right away.

I'm from SoCal, so I've had great Mexican food, the best being from the taquerias. The take-out burritos I have eaten travel well, but the tortilla does get soggy, if there is too much juice in the ingredients.

I've been to Sunrise once. I had a Sunrise salad with chicken. It was good, but it wasn't authentic. I figured it was the best I was going to get in Thailand, until I open my own restaurant.

I went to Chipolte when they first opened, and were owned by McDonalds. I thought it was terrible compared to authentic taqueria food. I returned to Chipolote last year, and I thought it had drastically improved. It was not authentic, but, they do offer a choice of black and refried beans, and overall the burrito was tasty.

Went to Sunrise with some friends. They each ordered 3 tacos with guacamole. They were a bit "cheesed off" when they saw 150 baht plus tax on the bill for the guacamole. They were never informed there was a "luxury surcharge" of 25 baht/taco for the guac. when the filipino waiter took the order.... live and learn.....

Uh, no offense, but that's ridiculous. Did you expect guacamole for free or something? Avocado is expensive, you will hardly ever find a restaurant, not only in Thailand, but anywhere in the world, where they give that out for free. Almost all Mexican restaurants charge extra for guacamole. Sunrise's guacamole prices are not out of line on this, my favorite Mexican place back home charges more and the avocado is grown only a few miles away.

Edited by DP25

I'm from SoCal, so I've had great Mexican food, the best being from the taquerias. The take-out burritos I have eaten travel well, but the tortilla does get soggy, if there is too much juice in the ingredients.

I've been to Sunrise once. I had a Sunrise salad with chicken. It was good, but it wasn't authentic. I figured it was the best I was going to get in Thailand, until I open my own restaurant.

I went to Chipolte when they first opened, and were owned by McDonalds. I thought it was terrible compared to authentic taqueria food. I returned to Chipolote last year, and I thought it had drastically improved. It was not authentic, but, they do offer a choice of black and refried beans, and overall the burrito was tasty.

Well, it has been a few years since the last time I ate at Chipotle. Maybe its improved. Last time they definitely did not have refried beans, and they also definitely did not have Mexican rice. All they had was black beans and plain white rice. So, I stand by my review that Chipotle in 2004 sucks, but maybe its better these days. Still though, if I'm back in a state where there is a Chipotle, there probably is also a local taqueria that would be better.