Australian Aged Pension

31 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I never suggested that. There's probably folks who don't know members can select 'ignore' and /or need the details of 'how to ignore'.

I made no suggestion that you don't know how to use the ignore function.

Sorry If I offended you. 

I would like to ignore some posters too but figure thats defeating the purpose of enrolling, besides my massage shop aint an early opener like my ol pub backhome! 

1 minute ago, Olmate said:

I would like to ignore some posters too but figure thats defeating the purpose of enrolling, besides my massage shop aint an early opener like my ol pub backhome! 

Each to his own.

I ignore posters who attack me because they can't attack the facts and data I post.

I also ignore the ones who demonstrate beyond doubt they are morons.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Which political party do you think is for workers?  They are all in it for themselves these days.   

Your hardly the ducks gutswhen it comes to 'working for oz'. Freeloading offshore till OAP comes creeping! lol

On 9/5/2024 at 2:14 AM, Pattaya57 said:

So you have an empty property in Australia while you live in Thailand. How stupid is that when you could be renting it out (I rent out my 2br unit for $32,500 per year so much better than leaving it empty to get a $300 elec credit when you're not there to use electricity)

So your story still sounds made up and you never got the $300 elec cash

So you pay tax ,you get no OAP

That's a bit silly when you paid taxes all your life and public servants are pissing up ya money 

I will be doing everything planning to get the OAP if /when I turn 67 

The government owe me !!

Edited by georgegeorgia

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

That's a bit silly when you paid taxes all your life and public servants are pissing up ya money 

The government owe me !!

I've lived in Thailand for the past 24 years and I was refused the OAP so I sold my property in Australia  and invested the money into term deposits. I only draw on the term deposits when needed. We seem to lose all our rights in Australia when we choose to live in another country in our retirement. As we don't vote no political party would support us. I'm 80 yo now and the Australia I knew in my formative years is well gone. May I add I worked for 30 years for the Department of Defense and served time in the Australia Army. I even received the Australian service medal but I still got refused for the OAP as I had to return to Australia and not leave the country for 730 days.

6 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I'll never be able to qualify for the aged pension.  What's makes you think I would?  You, on the other hand, are a freeloader. 

Harsh comment for SundayKH, miss out on your bowl of Sanitarium  porridge today? Worked in Oz non stop from age17 to 70, and really happy to hear you will get none of the taxes I paid.! 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

The government owe me !!

You can try everything possible like I did but if you don't live in Australia for the 2 years prior to your entitlement then you won't get it. The thing that gets me is that you can leave Australia for one day during that period.

34 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

You can try everything possible like I did but if you don't live in Australia for the 2 years prior to your entitlement then you won't get it. The thing that gets me is that you can leave Australia for one day during that period.

No necessary to live in Australia for two years prior only necessary to live for two years after, to get portability.

2 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

No necessary to live in Australia for two years prior only necessary to live for two years after, to get portability.

I have always been confused by the two year rule.

As I understand it, you HAVE to be in Australia on the date you become eligible for the pension.

I had been in and out of Australia for years before and after becoming eligible for the pension. Its' portability was never in question.

4 hours ago, Mason45 said:

"One day"  is not correct. During the 2 years you can leave several times and for several weeks.

But note: If your OAP has been approved and you have been receiving fortnightly OAP payments then these payment stop for the time you are outside of Oz.

Centrelink / Service Australia have a 24/7 online link to the details of all Australian exiting and entering Oz, all computerized and that how they gain the info to quickly stop / start OAP payments during the 2 years. 

6 hours ago, Olmate said:

Harsh comment for SundayKH, miss out on your bowl of Sanitarium  porridge today? Worked in Oz non stop from age17 to 70, and really happy to hear you will get none of the taxes I paid.! 

So, you are on a pension, or part pension.  That means I'm feeding you, not the other way around. 

35 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Centrelink / Service Australia have a 24/7 online link to the details of all Australian exiting and entering Oz, all computerized and that how they gain the info to quickly stop / start OAP payments during the 2 years. 

But no way will they ever link that system to the ATO's for non resident tax purposes.   :cheesy:

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

As I understand it, you HAVE to be in Australia on the date you become eligible for the pension.

I had been in and out of Australia for years before and after becoming eligible for the pension. Its' portability was never in question.

I became eligible at 70 on the day when I returned with the intention of becoming a resident, after being a non-resident for many years. 

I then had to remain a resident for two years to gain portability.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I became eligible at 70 on the day when I returned with the intention of becoming a resident, after being a non-resident for many years. 

That is correct, if you haven't been resident for 2 years prior to applying for OAP then you need to spend 2 years as a resident for portability, however I think there is provision to exit for occasional short periods such as holidays - but this time away might be tacked onto the 2 year period ---  worth checking.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Yes, I think so.

But I cannot find a link on line, I would call Centrelink to confirm.

Agree, call the older Australians line (part of Centrelink) 132300 and get a clear answer.

If you feel the officers answer was confusing then tell the officer you're confused and ask him/her to claridy. If you're not convinced you're getting an answer specific to your questions then  wait a while and call again. 99% chance you'll get a different officer.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agree, call the older Australians line (part of Centrelink) 132300 and get a clear answer.

If you feel the officers answer was confusing then tell the officer you're confused and ask him/her to claridy. If you're not convinced you're getting an answer specific to your questions then  wait a while and call again. 99% chance you'll get a different officer.

I wouldn't accept such important information verbally.  I would be requesting the relevant information be emailed to me, so I can have a record of the correspondence. 

4 hours ago, LosLobo said:

If you had returned to Australia before you became eligible for the pension ( 65? 67? ) IMO you may then have had immediate portability.

No-one in Australia becomes eligible at 70. They become eligible at 67 . They also need to have a residential address.

It would appear people who have to stay in Australia for two years to get portability (a) are not in Australia when they turn 67 (b) have no residential address in Australia.

On that basis, it's possible some have not planned very well.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

"As I understand it, you HAVE to be in Australia on the date you become eligible for the pension."

Not quite like that...

You can apply anytime after the minimum age. (Not specifically on the date you become eligible.  I applied < physically in Oz> several years after the minimum age, the date I applied not connected to / not aligned to anything. No questions asked).

Regardless of all configurations you must physically be in Australia on the date you lodge your OAP application.

You do need to have a CRN (Centrelink Reference Number).

to lodge your OAP application you must physically be in Oz, application docs can be lodged:

• at a Centrelink office
  • by Australia Post
  • as at attachment to an e.mail

Edited by scorecard

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If you had returned to Australia before you became eligible for the pension ( 65? 67? ) IMO you may then have had immediate portability.

No-one in Australia becomes eligible at 70. They become eligible at 67 . They also need to have a residential address.

It would appear people who have to stay in Australia for two years to get portability (a) are not in Australia when they turn 67 (b) have no residential address in Australia.

On that basis, it's possible some have not planned very well.

I also noticed this in the post. 

If someone wanted / needed an Aussie pension, why wouldn't they return a week before turning 65 or 67 to apply for it, then, I thought the member may have had a unique set of circumstances prohibiting him from doing so, thus, I didn't bother asking.

Out of curiosity, if one was to live outside Australia for say 20 years, then fly home a week before turning either 65 or 67, depending on their birth year, are you stating they can apply for the pension, receive it shortly after, and fly out to Thailand with a portable pension soon after?  

If so, I am a little surprised it would be that easy, to simply arrive before your birthday, and you can fly out with a portable pension. 

I would have though one must at least appear to re-establish residency with some documents and an appearance of staying before applying. 

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"As I understand it, you HAVE to be in Australia on the date you become eligible for the pension."

Not like that...

You can apply anytime after the minimum age. (Not, on the date you become eligible.)

Regardless of all configurations you must physically be in Australia on the date you lodge your OAP application.

You do need to have a CRN (Centrelink Reference Number).

present In Australia your OAP application can be:

• at a Centrelink office
  • by Australia Post
  • as at attachment to an e.mail

We know this, but what about re-establishing residency before applying?

As I asked in another post, is it really that easy to fly back into Australia before your birthday, after 20 years away, apply, receive, and fly out again with portability.  If so, I would be somewhat surprised, but hey, Australia has an easy welfare system.  

6 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

You really have no idea about how Australia's welfare system is being abused, and not by a few, but by many.  It's even become a drag on the whole economy

Surely your not suggesting we need a yearly pass to travel the roadways. How is it that KH, the not to be eligible for OAP Oz tax avoider, (by his own admission), supposedly live out of the country,are judging the welfare system?  Next Q. How to pronounce hypocritical troll ! 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1