Australian Aged Pension

6 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I wonder if you asked for 7 months it might be different. If your working or have  other income there's the medicare surcharge levy which kicks in for the months you suspend too which makes it less worthwhile.  

There was 2 months minimum and no maximum other than a maximum cumulative total of 2 years suspended. I was retired so didn't care about the medicare surcharge as it didn't apply. I did my suspensions in 2-4 month blocks

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

And if you cannot work due to illness and so on?

And from my understanding  in the US Social Security System there's  a cap on what you can withdraw - and the cap is basically what you have personally contributed. 

So if you personal Social Security fund is dry at 80 years old - bad luck? 

I have several US colleagues hre in LOS, that's the way they explain it, and they are dreading the day it runs out.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Ain't gonna work unless the super withdrawal rules are changed and the lump sum withdrawals are banned. I know people who moved to $4 million to lower their assets and get a pension.

The US has much better structured pension system, you have to work and save in order to have money in retirement.

But there's more detail which is not all that positive. 

57 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Can I ask what you mean? You mean they took money out of their super after retirement and spent it or put it somewhere so they were within the limit by the time they get to 67. Are you saying you think you should have to take it as an income stream or something. 

Sorry I missed "home" from the post. They bought expensive property to remove assessable assets and get full pension. Their children are having their inheritance funded by the taxpayers.

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Sorry I missed "home" from the post. They bought expensive property to remove assessable assets and get full pension. Their children are having their inheritance funded by the taxpayers.

I seriously doubt anyone can get a full pension and own a very expensive home without having very high council rates and property insurance costs.

Getting a part pension is a different matter. Even $1 of part pension gains admittance to a number of welfare privileges. That's where the accountants of rich people get very creative.

IIRC Labor brought in a limitation on the amount that could be held in a super fund at concessional rates of tax on earnings. I expect that noose will be tightened further.

16 hours ago, Will27 said:

I'm enjoying the (mostly) informative and respectful posts.

You just know the avavalanche is coming again shortly though.

LOL, that is so funny, was just thinking the same thing.

Must be on heavier meds.

We should think of a caption for the below: I will start......

I'm losing my mind, I need to go on Asean Now !!!

Medication GIF by YUNGBLUD

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Your post was something I had never considered. I have had a look and can't see something that says that but it doesn't clearly say that it is ok too. 

I remember at the time that I was looking to obtain private health insurance in Australia, with me living here, you know just in case I returned for treatment there, instead of here, and all were done by email to various insurers.

All coming back to me saying that they cannot insure me as I am a non resident and would have to live in Australia as a resident to get private health insurance, which of course made no sense to me, however I am thinking on the lines, that if a non residents Medicare expires after 5 years, that might have something to do with it, I have no idea.

They did however steer me in the direction of direction of global private heath care providers, I did go with one through a broker, and was with them for 4 years, and the premium kept going up and up and up every year, age was one, new age bracket and the last one was because the insurer changed an underwriter and at that point my insurance premium had doubled to 140k per annum, to which I kindly replied, no thank you.

Since then I have put the premium amount and the families premium amount aside and save a million baht in premiums, no claims and yes not enough, but I have enough funds to keep us out of trouble, "I hope", that said, we all still have our Medicare cards and will return if it is a major concern if it's going to cost us a fortune here, if and when it comes, hopefully not. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I had Bupa for many years and everytime I came to Thailand they allowed me to suspend the account thus not having to pay (minimum of 2 months). If they didn't allow people that spent a considerable time out of Australia in the fund then why were they allowing me whereby I only had to pay when I got back to Australia

That's a good question, if you really want to know the answer to that, you could ring them, or email them and say; hey guys, I am thinking of moving to Thailand, would I still be able to renew my cover, because my residency status, might change to a non resident.

Then you will have your answer, might not like what you hear ?

19 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

That's a good question, if you really want to know the answer to that, you could ring them, or email them and say; hey guys, I am thinking of moving to Thailand, would I still be able to renew my cover, because my residency status, might change to a non resident.

Then you will have your answer, might not like what you hear ?

You seem to think to be considered to reside in Australia you have to live in Australia 100% of the time. I just explained that my Bupa allowed me to suspend my account for 2-4 months at a time because I was often in Thailand and they allowed me to do that for up to 2 years total suspension. Why would I need to call them just because you think it's not possible? 

Edited by Pattaya57

13 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

You seem to think to be considered to reside in Australia you have to live in Australia 100% of the time. I just explained that my Bupa allowed me to suspend my account for 2-4 months at a time because I was often in Thailand and they allowed me to do that for up to 2 years total suspension. Why would I need to call them just because you think it's not possible? 

We can dance around all day, but if we stick to what I was talking about, i.e. being covered by a private health insurer in Australia, i.e. if your residency status changes, will your private health provider in Australia still insure you ?

I think not, based on the emails that I received from different insurers at the time that I enquired some years ago.

Now we can all have private health insurance when we were in Australia and moved overseas, however not advising your private health insurer that your residency status changed, might make your contract null and void.

Just saying, and don't really care, point !

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

We can dance around all day, but if we stick to what I was talking about, i.e. being covered by a private health insurer in Australia, i.e. if your residency status changes, will your private health provider in Australia still insure you ?

I think not, based on the emails that I received from different insurers at the time that I enquired some years ago.

Now we can all have private health insurance when we were in Australia and moved overseas, however not advising your private health insurer that your residency status changed, might make your contract null and void.

Just saying, and don't really care, point !

I think you're reading way too much into this TBH.

As long as people pay their premiums, they should be covered.

I doubt the health insurer even looks at things like residency status and how would they check anyway?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My private health provider in Australia restored my suspended insurance the week before I landed in Australia, after the COVID lockdown. They knew I had been overseas for more than two years.

I pay the premium yearly. If the fund continued to accept premiums from me while denying me cover because I am not resident, that would be fraud.

The health fund is a not-for-profit entity, maybe that is a factor.

The subject of residency has never been raised with me by the health fund. Obviously, I am not going to start asking.

It's only my opinion, but suspending your insurance while stuck overseas until you landed back in Oz, makes sense as you wouldn't be able to access any hospitals in Oz with the COVID con, I mean lockdowns...LOL

As for the residency thing, yes, don't wake the sleeping giant as they say.

38 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I think you're reading way too much into this TBH.

As long as people pay their premiums, they should be covered.

I doubt the health insurer even looks at things like residency status and how would they check anyway?

I'm not reading into it at all TBH.

I just raised some facts in my case when trying to get cover in Oz as a non resident and they told me that I had to be a resident of Oz, I argued that I was a Citizen and they said, yep, nah, resident, so make of that what you will.

No point in waking the sleeping giant as they say, but for me, I would hate it, if all of a sudden they did ask a question, and I had to answer it, fraudulently because that could make the contract null and void as previously mentioned. 

Like you said, how would they check anyway, hey Mr So and So, can you provide us with copies of your passport pages please, and yes, fat chance that would happen, but what if Mr or Mrs Goody Two Shoes who's on the ball, picked it up and their policy stated you have to be a resident to be covered, yes, yes, I know fat chance, but, when I take out a contract, I want to know the fine print as that provides me with less exposure, a classic example is all these dipsticks who come here with travel insurance, but don't read the fine print, e.g. must have a current riders license and IDP, wear a helmet and ride no bigger than a 125cc motorcycle, or the policy doesn't allow for motorbikes.

Contract null and void, I know it has nothing to do with residency, but fine prints are fine prints, and I will see if I can find an example and post it, just to clarify things, albeit it I remember couldn't fid anything when I did Google it years ago.

Edited by 4MyEgo

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I'm not reading into it at all TBH.

I just raised some facts in my case when trying to get cover in Oz as a non resident and they told me that I had to be a resident of Oz, I argued that I was a Citizen and they said, yep, nah, resident, so make of that what you will.

No point in waking the sleeping giant as they say, but for me, I would hate it, if all of a sudden they did ask a question, and I had to answer it, fraudulently because that could make the contract null and void as previously mentioned. 

Like you said, how would they check anyway, hey Mr So and So, can you provide us with copies of your passport pages please, and yes, fat chance that would happen, but what if Mr or Mrs Goody Two Shoes who's on the ball, picked it up and their policy stated you have to be a resident to be covered, yes, yes, I know fat chance, but, when I take out a contract, I want to know the fine print as that provides me with less exposure, a classic example is all these dipsticks who come here with travel insurance, but don't read the fine print, e.g. must have a current riders license and IDP, wear a helmet and ride no bigger than a 125cc motorcycle, or the policy doesn't allow for motorbikes.

Contract null and void, I know it has nothing to do with residency, but fine prints are fine prints, and I will see if I can find an example and post it, just to clarify things, albeit it I remember couldn't fid anything when I did Google it years ago.

I wouldn't worry too much about health insurance at your age once you get the Big C the public health system will be the best ,they will know exactly WHEN to stop the treatment 

The private health system because you are paying will only give you false hope and prolong your "treatment" for no reason 

No better to accept your at the tail end of your life and as the saying goes my dear fellow...<deleted> happens!

Why waste money on private health insurance when you have less than 20 years left ,spend it on other things 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I remember at the time that I was looking to obtain private health insurance in Australia, with me living here, you know just in case I returned for treatment there, instead of here, and all were done by email to various insurers.

All coming back to me saying that they cannot insure me as I am a non resident and would have to live in Australia as a resident to get private health insurance, which of course made no sense to me, however I am thinking on the lines, that if a non residents Medicare expires after 5 years, that might have something to do with it, I have no idea.

They did however steer me in the direction of direction of global private heath care providers, I did go with one through a broker, and was with them for 4 years, and the premium kept going up and up and up every year, age was one, new age bracket and the last one was because the insurer changed an underwriter and at that point my insurance premium had doubled to 140k per annum, to which I kindly replied, no thank you.

Since then I have put the premium amount and the families premium amount aside and save a million baht in premiums, no claims and yes not enough, but I have enough funds to keep us out of trouble, "I hope", that said, we all still have our Medicare cards and will return if it is a major concern if it's going to cost us a fortune here, if and when it comes, hopefully not. 

I see you are again posting inaccurate information, your interpretations, and poor advice to members. 

The "non resident" terminology Australian private health insurance companies use relates to migrant workers and for overseas students who are studying in Australia, also longer stay family visit visas.  It has nothing to do with an Australian citizen's geographic choice of living, anywhere in the world.   

Basically, it means a Thai citizen, for example, can not insure themselves with a private health insurance company in Australia, and they are not even in Australia, not have they ever been.  In other words, private health insurance companies only insure foreign nationals, if within Australia, legally.  A foreign national can not insure with an Australian private health insurance company, need treatment, and fly to Australia for the treatment, similar to medical tourism.

I continue to pay private health in Australia, and it's not cheap.  It's absolutely worthless to me in Thailand, but if I have a major illness or injury, as soon as I get off the plane in Australia, I am straight to a doctor of my choice, and no doubt operated on days later, not months, or years later, like under Medicare.  I have this in writing from them.  It is not like Centerlink and re-establishing residency. 

If you "financial" with a private health insurance company, as soon as you are back on Australian soil, you are entitled to claim.   

It is like insuring a house in Australia, but you don't live in Australia.  If the house burns down, the insurance company pays out. 

I am insured within Thailand, and when leaving Thailand, I get a short travel insurance policy, as I did last week for the Singapore F1.   

See the below link.  That's the "non residents" they are talking about. 

https://www.medibank.com.au/overseas-health-insurance/

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I see you are again posting inaccurate information, your interpretations, and poor advice to members.

Welcome back NOT.

You just inspired me, as you did on Articles 18 & 19 where you still haven't admitted your wrong.....LOL, not that I have ever expected you to understand the meaning of the word, YOUR WRONG.

So, I will take it upon myself to email an insurance company in Australia and ask them the question, something on the lines of.....

I am a non resident of Australia, however am an Australian Citizen residing in Thailand for over a decade and am looking to obtain private health cover in Australia.

My question is, whilst I do not reside in Australia, can I obtain private health cover for within Australia, even though I am living in Thailand.

My residency status for tax purposes, is that of a Non Resident as I live in Thailand, and as I reside in Thailand for over a 180 days a year, I am considered a resident of Thailand for tax purposes.

Once I get a reply, I will post it, wrong or right, the latter would shut you down real quick wouldn't it ? 

I doubt it, because then you would bring something up, like, they are overhauling the system, making changes, like the DTA's....bla bla bla

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

You just inspired me, as you did on Articles 18 & 19 where you still haven't admitted your wrong..

Too funny.

In this thread, you said, and I quote, "Forget about Article 19."

In the Property and Finance Forum, in a tax thread, you apologize to a member and state that under Article 19 he will have to pay tax.   Do you deny this? 

Article 18 is subject to the "provisions" of Article 19, and Article 19 deals with government services pensions, not the aged pension. 

I posted a youtube video where a chartered accountant from Australia explains it.  Another member screenshot it for this thread,  You are posting like you accept it on the other thread, and posting like you don't accept it on this thread, then resort to a personal attack when picked up on it. 

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

So, I will take it upon myself to email an insurance company in Australia and ask them the question, something on the lines of.....

I am a non resident of Australia, however am an Australian Citizen residing in Thailand for over a decade and am looking to obtain private health cover in Australia.

My question is, whilst I do not reside in Australia, can I obtain private health cover for within Australia, even though I am living in Thailand.

Why email just one company? 

Cut and paste the same email and send it to at least six companies.  Once again, you see one thing from one source and just accept it as across the board.  You did this with Jim Quinn's comment on the DTA, despite three links from other ATO staff stating the opposite, because it suited your narrative. 

I would also suggest ringing / emailing from two different email addresses, or to speak with a second person from the companies.  There's every chance you might get someone inexperienced or incompetent for the first reply. 

You may have to be inside Australia at the time of applying.  I am not sure about this, because I have been privately insured for decades.  Way longer before I moved to Thailand.  

What I do know is, as soon as I hop off the plane in Australia, I have private health insurance, because I have been paying their premiums.  I am still a "financial" member, and in Australia.  Go to a GP, get a referral for a specialist, go to the specialist, then operated on soon after.  It's just as if Thailand had nothing to do with it. 

I am fully aware it is worthless to me outside of Australia.  I am fully aware Medicare is worthless, FULL STOP, so I pay the premiums.  Aussie expats relying on Medicare will be disappointed if / when they need treatment in Australia, but that's for another thread. 

Here's the ATO's information on non residents and private health insurance. 

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals-and-families/medicare-and-private-health-insurance/private-health-insurance-rebate/overseas-visitors-private-health-insurance-on-your-tax-return

As an Australian citizen, you should be able to secure private health insurance.  You may have a waiting period before you can claim, because you are not going from one company to the next, and, you may not get the rebate.  Expect it to be expensive, possibly prohibitively so.  

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

My residency status for tax purposes, is that of a Non Resident as I live in Thailand, and as I reside in Thailand for over a 180 days a year, I am considered a resident of Thailand for tax purposes.

Correct.

However, you are paying for insurance inside Australia.  They don't care where you live, as long as you pay them, but will have to return home for treatment. 

Once I get a reply, I will post it, wrong or right, the latter would shut you down real quick wouldn't it ? 

Why would it?  Our circumstances are different.  I've had the insurance for decades.  You wish to apply for it from outside Australia, and at an older age, possibly with pre-existing conditions.  This may or may not be an issue for one, or all of the companies.  It will be interesting. 

You are trying to argue residency for tax purposes is a boundary to insurance in Australia. 

I still have a life insurance policy running.  Before leaving, I got it in writing that the policy covers my life, world wide, and it does. 

I have properties in Australia.  They are insured.  Do you think they are not insured because I don't live in Australia?  Same with my car in Australia.  If a relative was driving my car and someone crashed into them, and the car was a write off, the money hits my back account.  Nothing to do with my tax residency. 

The difference is, to claim on health insurance, you need to be inside Australia because private health insurance companies use Australian medical staff and hospitals.  They have negotiated prices with surgeons and hospitals.  I believe they even own some of the hospitals. 

I doubt it, because then you would bring something up, like, they are overhauling the system, making changes, like the DTA's....bla bla bla

You are taking it way too personally.  

It's been well discussed on many threads on this website about expats burning their bridges.  I didn't with private health insurance, but it comes at a cost.  I also didn't do it with a property for myself, and a vehicle, and a few other things.  As discussed, to have the appearance of remaining "domiciled" in Australia, mainly for tax purposes, but also should I suffer a catastrophic injury or illness.   

If they say you must be inside of Australia to apply, is that some type of "victory" for you?  Will you "bla bla bla bla" about it?  What does it prove?  You have to be in Australia to apply for the aged pension.  

Why don't you send two different type of emails, or phone calls.  One saying you are in Thailand and want private insurance in Australia, and the other just asking about it and not telling them you are in Thailand?  Do you even have an Australian address and phone number you can use? 

If you are declined over the phone / email, be sure to ask, "How long to I have to live in Australia again before I can apply?"  I would find their reply interesting.  If they say you just have to be in Australia at the time of applying, will you fly home for it? 

If you are refused over the phone / email, will you post on here that no Aussie expats can have private health insurance, when I do, and some of my friends do? 

22 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I wouldn't worry too much about health insurance at your age once you get the Big C the public health system will be the best ,they will know exactly WHEN to stop the treatment 

The private health system because you are paying will only give you false hope and prolong your "treatment" for no reason 

No better to accept your at the tail end of your life and as the saying goes my dear fellow...<deleted> happens!

Why waste money on private health insurance when you have less than 20 years left ,spend it on other things 

The "Big C" is one thing, and a poor example.  What about bypasses, stents, prostate issues etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc, and more etc's?  When it comes to health, anything is possible, at any time. 

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Here’s a mate of mine posting to his suburb’s FB group (he is one of the group’s admins) about the hospital care he received after a bad fall recently.

The care was all covered free of charge in a Sydney public hospital courtesy of Medicare, yet you post that  “Medicare is worthless” 🤣. Amazing. 

Hi all, **** here from admin here just letting all you know today marks a special blooming  Friday for me, as I lie here in my hospital bed recovering at St George Hospital after receiving emergency surgery after sustaining a broken eye socket, two fractured cheek  bones, fractured ribs and slight bleeding on the brain after a freak fall earlier in the week.

I personally write this message wising to thank all the tireless attention and help received from all the doctors, nurses, paramedics, surgeons and whoever ever else I’ve forgotten to mention as I write this post in a groggy state after 3 hours surgery.

THANK GOD, WE HAVE SUCH FANTASTIC STAFF at St George Hospital bending over backwards to get our health back on track to recovery after such life threatening injuries are thrown at us….

IMG_1287.jpeg

IMG_1288.jpeg

IMG_1289.jpeg

IMG_1290.jpeg

IMG_1291.jpeg

I confirm Medicare Australia is NOT worthless.  A few years back I visited Northern Beaches public hospital several times for complex scans and more. 5 star in every measurement. No charges whatever.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

AFAIK all public hospitals have emergency departments. There are quite a few private hospitals that do not.

It's not Medicare's fault when emergency departments get clogged up with deadbeats who go there with minor ailments, because they can't find a GP in their area who bulk bills.

Where private health cover is superior, is in the absence of wait lists. I had surgery for an inguinal hernia within two weeks of landing in Australia. In the public health system, I might have been waiting for 6 months.

I can remember a few years ago having all the symptoms of a heart attack ( It wasn't ). My son drove me to the nearest public hospital emergency department. I was hooked up to monitoring equipment within 5 minutes of getting there, stayed overnight for observation, no charge.

3 hours ago, Nemises said:

Here’s a mate of mine posting to his suburb’s FB group (he is one of the group’s admins) about the hospital care he received after a bad fall recently.

The care was all covered free of charge in a Sydney public hospital courtesy of Medicare, yet you post that  “Medicare is worthless” 🤣. Amazing. 

Hi all, **** here from admin here just letting all you know today marks a special blooming  Friday for me, as I lie here in my hospital bed recovering at St George Hospital after receiving emergency surgery after sustaining a broken eye socket, two fractured cheek  bones, fractured ribs and slight bleeding on the brain after a freak fall earlier in the week.

I personally write this message wising to thank all the tireless attention and help received from all the doctors, nurses, paramedics, surgeons and whoever ever else I’ve forgotten to mention as I write this post in a groggy state after 3 hours surgery.

THANK GOD, WE HAVE SUCH FANTASTIC STAFF at St George Hospital bending over backwards to get our health back on track to recovery after such life threatening injuries are thrown at us….

IMG_1287.jpeg

IMG_1288.jpeg

IMG_1289.jpeg

IMG_1290.jpeg

IMG_1291.jpeg

A quick Google of "children sent home to die from hospitals Australia" revealed pages of horror stories.  I chose "children" because they are one of the most vulnerable demographic in the community, so you would think they would receive more medical attention. 

As we are from all different states in Australia, to show it's nationwide, here's just a few. 

Queensland.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/we-want-to-know-what-happened-baby-girl-dies-after-being-sent-home-from-queensland-hospital/news-story/c0b6e060bc4eda4e98e33e47b3c46ed6

"There, Toni and her partner Matthew were told their daughter’s breathing would be fine “once the Panadol kicked in” and Lola was discharged after two hours. The following morning, after continuing to monitor their daughter and setting up a mattress in her room, Lola was found lifeless on August 6."

NSW.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/article/2024/jul/01/nsw-sepsis-death-pippa-white-coronial-inquest-ntwnfb

"Pippa White died on 13 June 2022, two months before her third birthday, after doctors at two central west hospitals wrongly assumed she had an acute viral illness rather than the bacterial infection that resulted in her death."

WA.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/perth-girl-13-dies-days-after-being-discharged-from-hospital-with-flu/news-story/411435730eb4939e1d7d6ce87815734e

"Sharney Lee Mitchell stayed overnight at Joondalup Health Campus with influenza A on August 12 but was discharged the next day despite still suffering with aches and pains, according to her family who spoke with 7News.  She died five days later at home, with paramedics called to her Perth home unable to save her."

Victoria.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/meningitis-sick-boy-was-so-much-worse-when-let-go-from-hospital-victoria-health-news/7bb8b727-613d-4160-ad4f-1f0c9adc517f

"A severely ill toddler who died of meningitis was discharged from a regional Victorian hospital in a worse condition than when he was admitted, a coroner has heard."

SA.

https://www.kidspot.com.au/news/tragedy-as-12yo-dies-from-gastro-two-days-after-being-sent-home-from-hospital/news-story/c1bd5c51f3e84fa9eb0af64c8a6638f7

"The parents of a 12-year-old girl are in mourning after their daughter was discharged from a hospital with a stomach ache, only to die a couple of days later."

NT.  (adult)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-09-11/family-blames-mans-death-on-nt-health-negligence/104332328

"Nicholas Roma Tipungwuti died of a stroke in May 2022 after he presented to Royal Darwin Hospital and waited over 12 hours to be transported to Royal Adelaide Hospital."

TAS.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-02/baby-died-after-launceston-general-hospital-failures-coroner/102287910

"A 19-month-old baby girl may still be alive if the Launceston General Hospital had followed its own procedures, a Tasmanian coroner has found."

ACT.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/canberra-hospital-death-child-rozalia-spadafora/a6b0a82f-133f-485f-a25d-44f6bc91924a

"Concerned about her daughter, Katrina took her back to the GP, where she was told to go to Canberra Hospital, the only place where blood tests could be done after hours.  Arriving around 7pm on July 4, Katrina said she was told by two nurses to take Rozalia home, and go to the doctor in the morning. And almost 30 hours after Rozalia arrived at Canberra Hospital, she went into cardiac arrest and died."

There are many cases similar to these from each state.  They are all reasonably recent. 

Could you honestly look these parents in the eye and tell them Medicare is good? 

In relation to your friend, I note he had a "freak fall" with severe injuries.  Obviously, emergency surgery.  However, you don't mention anything about "elective surgery."  Have you heard the term before?  An example would be a hip or knee replacement.  A common procedure in for the elderly.   

If something like happened to your friend happened to an expat in Thailand, I doubt they would be allowed to board a plane, so we are really talking about returning for elective surgery. 

Have you heard of the term "Medicare waiting list?"  Your post mentions nothing about the long waiting lists for elective surgery. 

The terms "elective surgery" and "waiting list" is central to the service, or lack thereof, of the public system, Medicare. 

Here's an Aussie doctor's website on a knee replacement. 

https://rhysclark.com.au/knee-replacement-surgery/how-much-does-a-knee-replacement-cost-australia/

Public System.

"You will be placed on a waiting list for surgery after giving your agreement. This surgical waitlist can be months or years before you get your knee replacement." 

Private System.

" If a knee replacement is advised after evaluating your needs, surgery can usually be scheduled six weeks after your visit to accommodate pre-operative physical therapy."

Self Funded.

"The entire cost of a knee replacement, including hospital stays, the prosthesis, and surgery expenses, often falls between $25,000 and $35,000."

From a Queensland clinic's website.

https://coastalorthopaedicsurgery.com.au/how-much-does-a-hip-or-knee-replacement-cost-in-australia/#:~:text=Public waiting lists for hip,but other factors weigh in.

"Public waiting lists for hip and knee replacement are out of control; at time of writing it can be 3 years or more from date of GP referral to date of hip/knee replacement surgery in many public hospitals around Australia."

If you, and others are happy with "whoever" you get for a surgery, after waiting, who knows how long, possibly years, most likely in daily pain, then fine.   

I'll go private, chose a top specialist, and get the operation done ASAP, and back to health sooner. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I confirm Medicare Australia is NOT worthless.  A few years back I visited Northern Beaches public hospital several times for complex scans and more. 5 star in every measurement. No charges whatever.

Not everyone has a VA Gold Card, although you still have not confirmed what pension you are actually on.