Australian Aged Pension

13 hours ago, giddyup said:

Why?

I got told face to face that no o/s travel at all during the two year ban or all gets squashed.i asked about time away being added on she said no re apply all over again and it may take possibly 4 months

1 hour ago, maccastime said:

I got told face to face that no o/s travel at all during the two year ban or all gets squashed.i asked about time away being added on she said no re apply all over again and it may take possibly 4 months

Not what it says here:

•  
19 hours ago, maccastime said:

Incorrect

Link: https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/age-pension/claiming-your-pension-overseas/twoyear-residency-rule

Extract: 

A. The two-year residency rule applies to those who have been residing outside of Australia and return to claim an Age Pension.

If your principal residence has been in Australia prior to claiming the Age Pension, then you do not have to serve the two-year residency period should you wish to leave the country.

If you remain a resident of Australia, a temporary absence from Australia during this period would normally still be counted towards your two-year residence period.

If you plan to leave Australia permanently, your Pension Supplement payment rate will change and your Energy Supplement will cease. If it’s an extended temporary absence, this will happen after six weeks.

After six weeks absence, your pension will be paid at the Outside Australia rate and after 26 weeks absence, your pension depends on how long you have worked and lived in Australia. You can find out more about how your Australian working life residence is used to calculate your Age Pension payment here.

Link: 

Extract: 

New recipients who travel overseas during the initial 2 year period will have their payments suspended whilst overseas and the time spent overseas added to their 2 year residency period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maccastime said:

Unfortunately some Centrelink office staff are not well informed on the detail of the Age Pension. You're best to liaise with Centrelink visa the dedicated Age Pension number 132 300

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Unfortunately some Centrelink office staff are not well informed on the detail of the Age Pension. You're best to liaise with Centrelink visa the dedicated Age Pension number 132 300

i was already receiving the aged pension before I moved to Thailand at age 66 and was told by a Centrelink staffer that my pension would stop immediately I left Australia and that it wasn't transportable. I told her she didn't know what she was talking about and that she better familiarise herself with the rules before giving out false info. She did a quick search on her computer then apologised for misinforming me, but the kicker was she stopped it when I left Australia anyway out of spite and I had to ring Centrelink international to get it reinstated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know of an agreement country (one of the 33) whereby that country will allow Australians to have their pensions paid there and allow them unlimited travel away during their residency there?  NZ allow their Australian pension recipients 26 weeks a year out of the country, what about the others?

On 4/7/2019 at 1:18 PM, LosLobo said:

Recent Changes to AAP

image.png.8d015e9ef38091f2b90509fd482b3800.png

I received the same letter.  The first part about the 'energy supplement' is not true in my case.  I am considered a resident even though I was overseas on 2 April.  I had been out of the country for 10 days at 2 April.  Only after 6 weeks absence from Oz does Centrelink consider you 'permanently overseas'.  I never received the $75.

I have to agree with another that Centrelink staff haven't a clue about the regulations that govern clients.  During my two year residency requirement for the pension I came across several instances where staff simply gave out the wrong information.  In one case I found the procedure on the Dept. of Human Services website and showed it to the woman.  She went away to consult, came back and said it was a case by case situation which was total BS.  The regulation was black and white.  The situation was resolved in my favour as per the regulation.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2019 at 2:03 PM, giddyup said:

i was already receiving the aged pension before I moved to Thailand at age 66 and was told by a Centrelink staffer that my pension would stop immediately I left Australia and that it wasn't transportable. I told her she didn't know what she was talking about and that she better familiarise herself with the rules before giving out false info. She did a quick search on her computer then apologised for misinforming me, but the kicker was she stopped it when I left Australia anyway out of spite and I had to ring Centrelink international to get it reinstated.

How did "she" stop it? Or are you guessing that "she" stopped it because you stopped receiving it? The Immigration and Human Services computer systems are linked so they "know" when you leave, when you return and how long you've been absent (theoretically) - no human intervention required

48 minutes ago, lujanit said:

I received the same letter.  The first part about the 'energy supplement' is not true in my case.  I am considered a resident even though I was overseas on 2 April.  I had been out of the country for 10 days at 2 April.  Only after 6 weeks absence from Oz does Centrelink consider you 'permanently overseas'.  I never received the $75.

I have to agree with another that Centrelink staff haven't a clue about the regulations that govern clients.  During my two year residency requirement for the pension I came across several instances where staff simply gave out the wrong information.  In one case I found the procedure on the Dept. of Human Services website and showed it to the woman.  She went away to consult, came back and said it was a case by case situation which was total BS.  The regulation was black and white.  The situation was resolved in my favour as per the regulation.

By Centrelink's definition of "residing in Australia" you seem to be eligible. I would give them a ring.

An absence of actually more than 6 weeks could be problematic.

1 hour ago, lujanit said:

No one has received the $75 yet!!  The date is merely to establish eligibility, not the date on which payment will be made. It happens to be the date of the announcement. Read the last sentence in this readily-discoverable document on the Internet - https://www.humanservices.gov.au/sites/default/files/2019/04/2019-20-budget-55.pdf

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

Because I rang Centrelink International in Tasmania and asked why it had been stopped. They told me that it should not have been and it had been stopped wrongly by the office where I dealings with the woman in question. Coincidence, maybe. Anyway, I was reinstated immediately, that was 9 years ago and never had a problem since.

No doubt true at that time, but that was 9 years ago. Since that time "data matching" has been implemented. This automatically links your immigration record with your Centrelink record and often times any cancellation is automatic and not done manually by a person.  (Not saying the cancellations are always correct, just that 9 years ago was different to now - these days it's more likely to be a computer program that cancels a payment, not a person.) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Goinghomesoon said:

No doubt true at that time, but that was 9 years ago. Since that time "data matching" has been implemented. This automatically links your immigration record with your Centrelink record and often times any cancellation is automatic and not done manually by a person.  (Not saying the cancellations are always correct, just that 9 years ago was different to now - these days it's more likely to be a computer program that cancels a payment, not a person.) 

There was a newspaper story (last year I think) where Immigration's computers had failed to record the return of passengers on a cruise ship, resulting in at least one cancellation, so data matching is certainly working. However it's not perfect. A pensioner friend of mine had taken up part-time work and reported it faithfully to Centrelink. After a couple of months he received a letter from Centrelink asking him to contact them about a "data matching anomaly". It turned out that the Tax Office had reported his income to Centrelink, but Centrelink's own computers had failed to pick up that they already knew about it, so there was no anomaly. My friend maintains a vigorous correspondence with the Minister's office and he is always answered promptly. As a former public servant he's aware that every Minister has a dedicated team of public servants to handle all Ministerial correspondence and their job is to make their Minister look good.  He says "always write to the Minister via email and always cc. your local Member". It seems to work for him.

Now here is a curly one I wonder if anyone has come across.  If upon reaching retirement age, you have been a resident all your life and apply for portability of your pension to an overseas location.  What if you decide to return to Australia at some point, the few questions related to this are:-

1) How long are you able to stay in Australia before they consider you a resident again.

2) If the above happens, are you up for the two year prison sentence if you get put back on Australian domestic pension status?

2 hours ago, Tradewind777 said:

Now here is a curly one I wonder if anyone has come across.  If upon reaching retirement age, you have been a resident all your life and apply for portability of your pension to an overseas location.  What if you decide to return to Australia at some point, the few questions related to this are:-

1) How long are you able to stay in Australia before they consider you a resident again.

2) If the above happens, are you up for the two year prison sentence if you get put back on Australian domestic pension status?

You do not have to apply to Centrelink for pension portability but you merely have to notify them of your intention.

Though I would get my ducks in a row before doing it.

This can be done through the MyGov portal.

On returning to Australia, residency will not be based on a qualification time period but will be based on your ability to prove that you have relinquished your bonds to your previous country and that you have re-established connections to Australia, like family relationships, property purchase/rental, etc.

Though as you have already served the 2 year portability period previous to leaving Australia proving residency will not be an issue for the aged pension, maybe only for the pension supplements and definitely for the Medicare card if you have been away 5 years or more.

You will not have to serve the two year portability requirement again. 

Though I am not sure what happens if for some reason during your absence you became ineligible for the AAP and you returned to Australia to re-apply.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

You do not have to apply to Centrelink for pension portability but you merely have to notify them of your intention.

Though I would get my ducks in a row before doing it.

This can be done through the MyGov portal.

On returning to Australia, residency will not be based on a qualification time period but will be based on your ability to prove that you have relinquished your bonds to your previous country and that you have re-established connections to Australia, like family relationships, property purchase/rental, etc.

Though as you have already served the 2 year portability period previous to leaving Australia proving residency will not be an issue for the aged pension, maybe only for the pension supplements and definitely for the Medicare card if you have been away 5 years or more.

You will not have to serve the two year portability requirement again. 

Though I am not sure what happens if for some reason during your absence you became ineligible for the AAP and you returned to Australia to re-apply.

If you did a 2 year stint in an overseas prison while receiving the Aged Pension, someone would have to notify Centrelink that you were incarcerated for your payments to cease.

If you are incarcerated in Australia then the prison at which you are a guest would notify Centrelink, payments ceased and then reinstated upon release providing the relevant Corrections facility had the paperwork and release dates notified to Centrelink

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

If you did a 2 year stint in an overseas prison while receiving the Aged Pension, someone would have to notify Centrelink that you were incarcerated for your payments to cease.

If you are incarcerated in Australia then the prison at which you are a guest would notify Centrelink, payments ceased and then reinstated upon release providing the relevant Corrections facility had the paperwork and release dates notified to Centrelink

In this case, the "2 Year prison sentence" the OP is referring to, is the 2 year residency requirement to obtain pension portability. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

If someone has the following situation occur to them would appreciate advice.

11 yrs ago I returned to Australia from Bangkok where I had been teaching to process my old age pension.

I advised Centrelink that I was married to a Thai lady and they hit me with the 2 yr staying period which I appealed against and won the appeal,doubt that would happen today.

Although knowing I was married to a Thai they allocated me the single rate pension.I queried that and was informed of all the 'extras " I would not be afforded, Medicare,rent subsidy (obviously),pharmaceutical allowance ,discounted travel when I returned for holidays to see family.

On Christmas day I received a letter from Centrelink ,Canberra dated December 5 2018 saying they were reviewing my single rate pension and asked for bank statements and a whole lot of other information to be returned no later than Jan 4 2019 .I sent it the following day by airmail almost 20 pages.

My wife is 57 and has tried her hardest to get work,mant occupations, and always gets the same answer 'youre too old' she was previously an accountant (book keeper in our terms) She would accept any job

The last monthly payment into my Australian bank ,may 10,was reduced to the single rate.The written advice to that effect arrived yesterday 5 weeks and 3 days since it was posted in Canberra.They do have my email address but apparently that form of communication is not used they prefer to send ordinary mail.

So my question are :

(a) Has anyone else experienced this reduction in payment and why now after 11 yrs and if so is an appeal worth the time and stress.Is the success rate of appeals known ?

(b) Is there anyone who can give me professional advice ie a lawyer regarding an appeal ?

(c) Do I just suck it up and move on ?

I now am 76, in poor health 2 minor strokes,gall bladder removed ,cataracts removed and ongoing depression problems .

At 76 its virtually impossible to get medical cover and my meagre saving have dwindled to almost nothing due to hospital and medical expenses apart from my 800,000 in term deposit for renewal of Retirement extension.

I am truly at my wits end with this and on top of the recent announcement that compuslory health  insurance may soon affect us all.

Edited by Sparkles

28 minutes ago, madmen said:

Getting married and then telling them was a mistake. 

Three years ago I was all prepared to tie the knot with my Thai partner until I found out that my pension would more than likely be cut because they (Centrelink) would assess my wife as being able to work and contribute. Needless to say, those plans have been put on hold indefinitely.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Three years ago I was all prepared to tie the knot with my Thai partner until I found out that my pension would more than likely be cut because they (Centrelink) would assess my wife as being able to work and contribute. Needless to say, those plans have been put on hold indefinitely.

My intentions when and if I apply for the AAP in 8 years time, depending if I qualify under the assets and income test, is to divorce my wife, we have no issue with the piece of paper being ripped up for me to receive the single pension, because I doubt they would give us the married pension as she is 21 years my junior and hasn't worked since 2007, less opportunities when you have a farang bank manager, I think....lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madmen said:

Getting married and then telling them was a mistake. 

Easy in hindsight but being married and the wife being still in Bangkok was the main reason why they waived the 2 yr staying in Australia.

Reason for posting was to seek advice on how I could resolve this.I did see a previous post months back divorce was one option

29 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Easy in hindsight but being married and the wife being still in Bangkok was the main reason why they waived the 2 yr staying in Australia.

Reason for posting was to seek advice on how I could resolve this.I did see a previous post months back divorce was one option

Centrelink's recent information on relationship status :

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/your-relationship-status

https://beta.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/topics/your-relationship-status/30306

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 1:39 PM, Sparkles said:

If someone has the following situation occur to them would appreciate advice.

11 yrs ago I returned to Australia from Bangkok where I had been teaching to process my old age pension.

I advised Centrelink that I was married to a Thai lady and they hit me with the 2 yr staying period which I appealed against and won the appeal,doubt that would happen today.

Although knowing I was married to a Thai they allocated me the single rate pension.I queried that and was informed of all the 'extras " I would not be afforded, Medicare,rent subsidy (obviously),pharmaceutical allowance ,discounted travel when I returned for holidays to see family.

On Christmas day I received a letter from Centrelink ,Canberra dated December 5 2018 saying they were reviewing my single rate pension and asked for bank statements and a whole lot of other information to be returned no later than Jan 4 2019 .I sent it the following day by airmail almost 20 pages.

My wife is 57 and has tried her hardest to get work,mant occupations, and always gets the same answer 'youre too old' she was previously an accountant (book keeper in our terms) She would accept any job

The last monthly payment into my Australian bank ,may 10,was reduced to the single rate.The written advice to that effect arrived yesterday 5 weeks and 3 days since it was posted in Canberra.They do have my email address but apparently that form of communication is not used they prefer to send ordinary mail.

So my question are :

(a) Has anyone else experienced this reduction in payment and why now after 11 yrs and if so is an appeal worth the time and stress.Is the success rate of appeals known ?

(b) Is there anyone who can give me professional advice ie a lawyer regarding an appeal ?

(c) Do I just suck it up and move on ?

I now am 76, in poor health 2 minor strokes,gall bladder removed ,cataracts removed and ongoing depression problems .

At 76 its virtually impossible to get medical cover and my meagre saving have dwindled to almost nothing due to hospital and medical expenses apart from my 800,000 in term deposit for renewal of Retirement extension.

I am truly at my wits end with this and on top of the recent announcement that compuslory health  insurance may soon affect us all.

Just tell them you are separated. That would be the easiest solution. If you want to be legal, divorce her. Won't be a problem as you are not using the marriage visa extension.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Has anyone actually had their pension reduced after Centrelink found out that they were married?

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:09 PM, Sparkles said:

The last monthly payment into my Australian bank ,may 10,was reduced to the single rate.

Sparkles had his relationship status re-assessed and his rate was reduced due to his marriage.

5 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Sparkles had his relationship status re-assessed and his rate was reduced due to his marriage.

I'm already on the single rate now, after all, I'm single, so not clear on how that works.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'm already on the single rate now, after all, I'm single, so not clear on how that works.

If you're married/in a long-term relationship, you're assessed taking into account your significant other's income, always assuming they're not also a pensioner. Either you get no pension, a part-pension or a married person's pension depending on your circumstances. All of them are less than a single person's pension

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

By single rate I am assuming the poster meant couples (each) rate ie half couples combined rate!

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1