Australian Aged Pension

On 10/27/2019 at 10:47 AM, BB1958 said:

We MUST get the Libs out. Gough Whitlam, for all his shortfalls, did more for us OAP's than anyone since.

Agreed, not knocking good old Gough, but I think a lot of people take the OAP for granted, after all the OAP was passed through legislation to help support those who reached the golden age under the social security network, that said, social security is meant to be spent within Australia, not abroad, that said, ask yourself why anyone on Centrelink payment who goes overseas for more than 6 weeks (excluding OAP) gets their benefits cut.

I believe the OAP is now under Centelinks management which tells me in the future, the same may apply to OAP living abroad, perhaps my crystal ball is a little foggy, but I wouldn't trust any government, after all it was labor that lifted the OAP age from 65 to 67, then slowly phasing it in to the age of 70, although I could be wrong.

Fortunately for me I won't have to hold my hand out for the OAP, unless I tweak things around to get rid of some assets 5 years prior, but then again, governments are good at giving you something for free from one hand and then taking it away with the other aren't they ?

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would suspect that there is, that is why they have implemented this at age 80, suffice to say, no one will ark up about it as 80 years of age is a fair call, but watch as time passes by, i.e. they will readjust the age to 75 and then 70 when they find out that there are a lot of dead Xpats families still receiving the pension.

Fair call, but at an early age I would imagine, 75, then 70

I think if you live overseas and receive Australian Government Benefits it is not unreasonable that the government, through the embassies and My Gov site, is furnished with a proof of life  certificate 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I think if you live overseas and receive Australian Government Benefits it is not unreasonable that the government, through the embassies and My Gov site, is furnished with a proof of life  certificate 

Me, personally, I have no problem with expats receiving the OAP and living overseas, i.e. if they worked and contributed to the taxation system which built Australia.

On the other hand, I do have a problem with those who never worked and never contributed to the Australian tax system and get the OAP, but then again, the OAP was never a superannuation payment, just a social security payment for those who could not afford to survive when they got to the OAP age for whatever reason.

The above said, if they never worked and never contributed to the tax system, they get taxes that hard working Australians paid into the system to support others who never worked a day in their lives, just doesn't make sense to me.

I suppose that's why Keating made superannuation a support mechanism for future generations to take the burden off of the system.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Me, personally, I have no problem with expats receiving the OAP and living overseas, i.e. if they worked and contributed to the taxation system which built Australia.

On the other hand, I do have a problem with those who never worked and never contributed to the Australian tax system and get the OAP, but then again, the OAP was never a superannuation payment, just a social security payment for those who could not afford to survive when they got to the OAP age for whatever reason.

The above said, if they never worked and never contributed to the tax system, they get taxes that hard working Australians paid into the system to support others who never worked a day in their lives, just doesn't make sense to me.

I suppose that's why Keating made superannuation a support mechanism for future generations to take the burden off of the system.

I'm hearing you.

I know someone who has been on the disability pension (depression) for over 20 years

because he really doesn't feel like working.

The trouble you have though, is what can you do with people who have hardly

worked and not contributed?

You can't let them starve,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2019 at 7:35 AM, Will27 said:

I agree that the system could be improved, but even if someone was dole bludging by choice, you still can't let them starve.

I could and would, let them get off their <deleted> and contribute. 

1 hour ago, AussieBob18 said:

The OAP was not created to look after old people as some sort of social security system payment. After WW2 the Government needed money and they came up with a plan that meant the Australian people would get free medical services in Government hospitals and the old age pension when they get old - in return for a massive increase of income taxes. The money for health and pensions was a seperate Budget item, until Menzies rolled this into the general budget in the 60s.  That is why a lot of old people had the view that 'I earned the pension - I paid for it' - and they did - and we all still do (those that paid taxes).

The problem going forward is that this history is now lost, and the OAP is considered by many to just be a part of the social welfare system and that is wrong - as is the view that ony those that 'deserve' it should get it. Unlike all the other social welfare payments (deserved or not), the OAP is a seperate issue and has been wrongly catagorised. It really annoys me when people say things like 'we should not have to pay the OAP for those overseas - it is meant for only those in Australia' - that is patently wrong.  This all means that those who paid taxes for over 40 years can be denied the OAP for lots of dubious reasons.  The fact is that those on Newstart and DSP and Unmarried Mothers and Refugee Support and all the others are the actual problem, because their payments were never funded - they are all payments that various Governments offered to win votes and to appease minorities and to meet international obligations.  The OAP was started as a funded payment, none of the others were.

The Australian Human Rights Commission also supports the rights of Australians to claim the Aged Pension.

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-work/3-your-right-government-support

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On residency - does anyone know what the minimum time is we must spend in Australia per year in order to maintain 'residency' for Centrelink?  

Rather than go back and spend two years to re-establish residency when pension time comes, we are now thinking of splitting our time between Thailand and Oz in order to not lose our residency in the first place. 

Not splitting our time just to maintain residency, but that will be a bonus.  Another bonus is my wife increasing her pension 'years' from her current ~24/35ths. 

I assume the minimum time in Australia is six months + one day per year, would be nice if it were less than that.  

I'll call CL someday, wondering if anyone here already has the knowledge / experience.  CL website has the usual vague wording.  

We are around nine years away from pension age btw, and will retire in the next year.

Cheers. 

35 minutes ago, moojar said:

On residency - does anyone know what the minimum time is we must spend in Australia per year in order to maintain 'residency' for Centrelink?  

Rather than go back and spend two years to re-establish residency when pension time comes, we are now thinking of splitting our time between Thailand and Oz in order to not lose our residency in the first place. 

Not splitting our time just to maintain residency, but that will be a bonus.  Another bonus is my wife increasing her pension 'years' from her current ~24/35ths. 

I assume the minimum time in Australia is six months + one day per year, would be nice if it were less than that.  

I'll call CL someday, wondering if anyone here already has the knowledge / experience.  CL website has the usual vague wording.  

We are around nine years away from pension age btw, and will retire in the next year.

Cheers. 

Your residency will only be questioned after your are granted your pension which will require an Australian address at time of application and 2 years stay for portability

Edited by norbra

1 hour ago, norbra said:

Your residency will only be questioned after your are granted your pension which will require an Australian address at time of application and 2 years stay for portability

I believe what they were asking was:

How long can they safely stay away from Australia each year and not get caught out with the need for a 2 year stay for portability.

Maybe they assumed the 2 year wait was only for returning citizens.

Anyway, If they have not declared themselves

"non resident for tax purposes" of course they are still normal residents.

So, do normal Aus residents also have to wait 2 years after application before they can get portability?

(I am asking because i am also in the same position)

3 minutes ago, pookondee said:

How long can they safely stay away from Australia each year and not get caught out with the need for a 2 year stay for portability.

So, do normal Aus residents also have to wait 2 years after application before they can get portability?

Once you have been granted the aged pension you have immediate portability. The 2 year qualifying is prior to getting the pension.

3 minutes ago, pookondee said:

The two year wait is only for returning residents. However if you return two years prior to Aged application and don't go over six months away in those two years; you'll have unlimited portability on grant of pension. 

If you haven't been living outside Australia unlimited portability is part of the Aged pension.

2 hours ago, moojar said:

Cheers. 

Personally I would give Centrelink a ring. Residency for tax purposes and Centrelink purposes are different.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/topics/residence-descriptions/30391

How we decide

When we're deciding whether you live in Australia, we’ll look at:

• where you live and who you live with
  • if you have family in Australia or overseas
  • your employment, business or financial ties in Australia and overseas
  • your assets in Australia and overseas
  • how often and how long you travel outside Australia
  • anything else we think is relevant.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The 2 year qualifying is prior to getting the pension.

Or after, if you return to apply. One way or another you will pay a two year penance; unless going to an agreement country where they might pay you.

As previously advised call Centrelink. Centrelink's International Services toll free number from Thailand. 0018006114136

"If you come back to live in Australia from another country and start getting Age Pension, your payment stops if you go overseas during the next 2 years.

If you leave Australia temporarily but stay an Australian resident, this normally counts as part of the 2 years.

If you go to a country we have a social security agreement with, you may still get Age Pension during the 2 years."

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/how-manage-your-payment/if-you-travel-outside-australia

Edited by UncleMhee

2 hours ago, moojar said:

I'll call CL someay, wondering if anyone here already has the knowledge / experience.  CL website has the usual vague wording.  

Cheers. 

My advice to you (and all others) is to NOT call CLink with any 'what if I" type questions unless you know exactly what you are asking for and why.  If you are going to do that, then do not give your details or Clink number - they will record the details of what you said and they may use it against you later - fact.

The first response is 'where are you living now?'   I assume you are still in Oz, but are you both living there now?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, moojar said:

Cheers. 

If you're 9 years away from the pension, IMO it's pointless making plans now.

I know you have to plan ahead, but so much will probably change between now and 2028.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.  

We are both currently living full-time in Australia, and will retire in the next year.  From then on we will then start spending all *or* some of our time in Thailand. 

I want to get portability as soon as I am granted the pension, not having to serve two years "in the penal colony" before or after. 

- If I live fulltime in Thailand for the next nine years I will *not* be granted portability. 

- If I live fulltime in Australia for the next nine years I *will* be granted portability.  

Somewhere in between I can spend some time in Thailand and some time in Australia each year and be granted immediate portability.  The unknown is what is the minimum time I can spend in Australia each year and be granted immediate portability?    

Yes, probably pointless making plans nine years in advance.  All I can do is go by the current requirements though, and adapt if / when they change. Frustrating, don't know why the farkers have to change the rules every five minutes.  

LOL, we're selling up in Australia because they're changing the rules around Capital Gains Tax for ex-residents.  And because after we do get a pension, owning a house in Australia will count as an 'asset'.  So we will buy a truck and a caravan, and when not staying with family in Australia we will do the 'grey nomad' thing, spend time in a different region each year.  And I'll bet that will count against us - 'no permanent abode' or some BS. 

I'll give CL a call - from a 'private number' - and see what they say.  The International division seem quite nice but even they don't seem able to give a definitive answer to any question.  Was hoping someone here had been in a similar position and could share their experience.  

1 hour ago, pookondee said:

Yes, that's what I am asking.  

But the rest of your post - not sure what you mean.  CL residency is not the same as ATO residency.  If you are away for 'x' number of years you will have to serve the two years in Australia to get portability, no matter your ATO status. 

I have asked CL (International) in the past, suggesting I will visit family in Australia for six weeks or so every year.  They said that is not enough, "that is just a visit".  I'd have to serve the two years. (Reported that conversation somewhere in the couple of hundred pages of this thread.)  At the time I asked CL that question we were planning to keep the house, and even with that level of 'commitment' to Australia six weeks a year was not enough.    

What ever you decide regarding travel to /from Aust, it would in your interest to retain your house, bank accounts, voting rights, plus what ever else would appear that you are really an Aussie just travelling a lot. 

Don't burn the bridges even if it results in a pension reduction - long term it will probably be benificial - a permanent move to Thailand might be regretted with the reporting, insurance nonsense currently mooted from the Thai government. 

The r

4 hours ago, moojar said:

I am in the same situation as yourself and we decided after many years of living in Thailand after I retired, to return to Australia and setup an 'abode'.  We now live in Australia and visit Thailand 2-3 times a year, and we will continue to do that until I qualify for the pension.  But even after I get the pension, we will not spend too long in Thailand each year afterwards, because as long as we stay 'resident' in Australia and only 'visit' Thailand, the wife gains additional yearly qualifications for her pension portability. Plus of course we both maintain our access to all the other benefits of living in Australia - especially the medical services if/when something goes wrong with either of us as we get older.  

The reason no one can tell you the answers is because there are no answers.  CLink can and does review each and every application on a case by case situation - they use guidelines and precedents to establish their decisions.  So there is no minimum or maximum time you can be away from Australia and be declared to 'reside' in Thailand. Unless otherwise advised, the ATO decides most Aussies are a non-resident for tax purposes after 2 years of living away from Australia.  CLink can decide that immediately after you left Australia that you no longer 'reside' in Australia.

What I think you should do is review your plans to be a 'nomad' and have no 'abode' in Australia and travel to Thailand a lot, particularly if you own any property in Thailand. In order to show CLink that you reside in Australia (leading up to and when you apply for the pension), you need to establish and maintain an abode in Australia.  If your plan is to move permanently to Thailand after you qualify for the pension and you have portability (yourself and your wife), then you need to show you both reside in Australia leading up to when you apply and show that you intend to stay in Australia too.  Portability is getting hgarder to achieve and being a nomad who spends most of the lead-up years in Thailand is likely to be a cause for concern to CLink.  And that is the catch 22 - as long as you show you reside in Australia and have no intention of living overseas before you get the pension, then after approval you can leave Australia and reside 100% overseas after you get the pension.  

What we intend doing and why I returned here (and wife migrated) is to ensure we can stay living in Australia 'permanently' and going forward we will be 'visiting' Thailand each year.  How long we visit each year will depend on many things, but that is our plan.  Leading up to the pension being approved, I believe that up to 3 months at a time is fine.  And after getting the pension I believe that up to 6 motnhs is fine.  And if you only stay in Australia for 1-2 months and then go back again, then that would probably be a problem I believe.  But all that is only my belief - there are no hard and set rules. 

In the future there is likely to be an ever tightening reduction in the ability of Australians living overseas to receive the full pension.  Will that '2 years' probation/penalty period become 3 or 4 years? Maybe.   Will they reduce pension payments after 6, 12, 18 months away from Australia, as they do now after 26 weeks? Maybe.   Will they make changes that are best able to be 'managed' to best meet our plans if we remain residents in Australia - definitely. 

Ownership of property and maintaining all the normal things that one does when living in Australia is the key.  Is there any difference between someone who is on the pension and resides in Australia and each year goes on a 3-6 month trip in Australia, versus someone who is on the pension and resides in Australia and goes on a yearly 3-6 months trip overseas?  I believe that the answer is No - as long as they do not set up a residence overseas and always go to that residence.

There is nothing yet I have seen in Australia since we moved back here that has convinced me that the Fed Govt is going to give more money to pensioners who live overseas.  And there has not been any indications to me that say they are going to make it easier to do that.  In fact all I have seen indicates that they are going to make it harder and harder and pay out less and less.

Likewise, there is nothing yet I have seen in Thailand that has convinced me that the Thai Govt is going to make it easier for older Expats to live in Thailand.  In fact all I have seen indicates that they are going to make it harder and harder and harder.

Unless something drastically changes it is clear that living in Australia and visiting Thailand each year is the best course of action for both myself and my Thai wife, both before we get the pension and afterwards.  May I suggest that you consider if this course suits yourselves.  Time changes all things, but to sell up and 'go nomading' seems to me to a problematic course to charter through the ever choppy and reef littered seas of the CLink pension eligibility rules.  Maybe look at setting up a cheap abode, and then go nomading from there each year.  There is no rule about how good or expensive an abode has to be - I know a couple that bought a 1 bedroom apartment in Sydney over a year ago (secure and safe), and they are still tarvelling around Australia (getting the pension) - last I heard they were near Rockhampton somewhere.  In fact where I live now, there are many couples doing the same thing for 3-6 months at a time - we are the only couple going to Thailand each time - one bloke does go and stay with his Thai GF for 3 months a couple of times a year. 

Hi Bob and Artisi, thanks for the replies.  

Your situation is similar to mine Bob - for similar reasons to you we have decided to spend part of our time in each country.  I won't get to have that "many years of living in Thailand after I retired" bit, but such is life.  I'll have two years full-time in Thailand before making a final decision though. 

Our idea was to do like you suggest - buy a place somewhere up the coast after those two years then split our time fairly evenly between the two countries, spend part of our time in Oz being Grey Nomads just for the adventure of it.  The full-time nomad thinking came about for various reasons - not liking the idea of leaving an empty house, hoping we don't need to split our time 50:50, not being sure where we want to settle.  

Jury is still out on the nomad idea - or we may compromise and be nomads for several years then buy a place when we're closer to pension age, greatly increase the portion of time spent in Oz in the two or three years leading up to pension age.  

We do have a small plot adjoining family land in Thailand and have built what was to be temporary accommodation - a large carport with attached shed / living quarters. We have a comfortable setup, if not especially pretty - more like 'functional and liveable'!  When they keep changing the 'alien' rules they discourage us from making long-term plans / commitment though, so we won't be spending 3 million baht or so on a house. 

Agree with you re the Fed govt / welfare situation - it is only going to get harder for us.  We're still living / working in Oz, and I have told three non-family members of our plans to retire in Thailand on a pension.  With all three the reaction was like I'd taken Smeagal's ring off of him (Lord of the Rings).  Nasty reactions all of them, I was surprised by the intensity.  If those three people were Americans they'd all be 'MAGA' types, strong Trump supporters.  And those are the type of people who have control of our Liberal party.  With Labor seemingly in the wilderness for years to come, I cannot see any good news on the horizon for pensioners.  No way.   

So yeah, I asked a 'how long is a piece of string' question eh?  I'll have to find my own answer - but I'll report back here over the years. 

Cheers.

Edited by moojar

i have the pension now for many years here 

i was living in Thai but returning every 3 months to stay a resident in oz

on a return visit i filled the papers in for pension/ every thing OK and returned to Thai  to live years ago

no problems/ but things i would do different if married to a Thai/ live separate/do regular trips back to hold medicare / buy a cheap house in bush town / and rent cheap

2 hours ago, opalred said:

i have the pension now for many years here 

i was living in Thai but returning every 3 months to stay a resident in oz

on a return visit i filled the papers in for pension/ every thing OK and returned to Thai  to live years ago

no problems/ but things i would do different if married to a Thai/ live separate/do regular trips back to hold medicare / buy a cheap house in bush town / and rent cheap

Please check your private messages.

On 11/18/2019 at 2:23 PM, moojar said:

I retired early and I'm still 5 years away from pension age. I will only be spending TWO (2) months each year in Australia up until then. I doubt very much that C'Link will give me instant portability when they see I've been living in Thailand for 10 months for each of the past 9 years....but I'll be applying for it anyway ????

My story, with supporting documentation, to C'Link will be that for the last NINE (9) years since retiring I've maintained my Aus residency (Mum's house) and simply "gone travelling". I've kept my Aus driving licences "alive" as well as my Aus car/s and my many Aus sporting club memberships. I'll still be an Australian resident for tax purposes and my Medicare card is still active and used when I'm in Aus. I'll be telling them that I have no overseas family, GF's, property or bank accounts anywhere else in the world and that I started each "holiday" in Thailand and loved the joint so much that I never ventured onto another country in all of my last 9 overseas "world tours" ???? 

I'll also be telling them that I never lived in the one place in Thailand and that I was ALWAYS moving from one hotel to another whilst in Thailand .... that's what genuine travelers do...how can they prove otherwise even if I did rent apartments long term in Patts, BKK and Patong etc?

I'll be advising them in no uncertain terms that my overseas travelling days are definitely over and that I'm home for good now ("those pretty Thai girls have taken all my money", "I'm not getting any younger, it's time to settle down now", "I want to be with my family, grandchildren now" etc etc etc)

Do I expect them to be satisfied that I have maintained  'residency' for C'Link pension purposes and that I don't need to do 2 years "penal service"?  Of course not.... but like I say, I'll give it a crack! 

If they grant me portability I'm on the first plane back to the land of smiles. If they don't, I'll be doing 2 years hard labor.... and then grab the first plane back to LOS.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nemises said:

I retired early and I'm still 5 years away from pension age. I will only be spending TWO (2) months each year in Australia up until then. I doubt very much that C'Link will give me instant portability when they see I've been living in Thailand for 10 months for each of the past 9 years....but I'll be applying for it anyway ????

My story, with supporting documentation, to C'Link will be that for the last NINE (9) years since retiring I've maintained my Aus residency (Mum's house) and simply "gone travelling". I've kept my Aus driving licences "alive" as well as my Aus car/s and my many Aus sporting club memberships. I'll still be an Australian resident for tax purposes and my Medicare card is still active and used when I'm in Aus. I'll be telling them that I have no overseas family, GF's, property or bank accounts anywhere else in the world and that I started each "holiday" in Thailand and loved the joint so much that I never ventured onto another country in all of my last 9 overseas "world tours" ???? 

I'll also be telling them that I never lived in the one place in Thailand and that I was ALWAYS moving from one hotel to another whilst in Thailand .... that's what genuine travelers do...how can they prove otherwise even if I did rent apartments long term in Patts, BKK and Patong etc?

I'll be advising them in no uncertain terms that my overseas travelling days are definitely over and that I'm home for good now ("those pretty Thai girls have taken all my money", "I'm not getting any younger, it's time to settle down now", "I want to be with my family, grandchildren now" etc etc etc)

Do I expect them to be satisfied that I have maintained  'residency' for C'Link pension purposes and that I don't need to do 2 years "penal service"?  Of course not.... but like I say, I'll give it a crack! 

If they grant me portability I'm on the first plane back to the land of smiles. If they don't, I'll be doing 2 years hard labor.... and then grab the first plane back to LOS.

I don't like your chances but good luck.

One thing though, I wouldn't be telling Centrelink you're a resident for tax purposes.

For a start, It's not relevant as different government departments have different interpretations

of residency.

Secondly, if you're living in Thailand, in most cases you won't be a resident for tax purposes and the 

less government departments know, the better IMO.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Secondly, if you're living in Thailand, in most cases you won't be a resident for tax purposes and the 

less government departments know, the better IMO.

I'm not living in Thailand!!

I live in Australia and TRAVEL around Thailand 10 months each year, staying in a different hotel every few nights ????

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nemises said:

I'm not living in Thailand!!

I live in Australia and TRAVEL around Thailand 10 months each year, staying in a different hotel every few nights ????

OK, let me put it another way.  If you're spending 10 months a year in Thailand, good luck claiming residency.

You're not the Lone Ranger there though. I'd just be careful in telling another Government department details about your taxation affairs that's all:smile:

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Will27 said:

OK, let me put it another way.  If you're spending 10 months a year in Thailand, good luck claiming residency.

You're not the Lone Ranger there though. I'd just be careful in telling another Government department details about your taxation affairs that's all:smile:

In addition to having a 10 month holiday in Thailand every year, I'll be reminding (and showing passport confirmation to) CentreLink, that whilst on said extended overseas holidays, I return home to Aus for special occasions such as funerals, births, marriages and even football grand finals and other big sporting events such as Melbourne Cups and NSW V Qld State of Origin matches. Will this convince them that I'm an Aus resident? As I already mentioned above, and as you agree...I doubt it very much - but no harm in asking is my theory.

Thanks Will for the advice about not telling another Government dept's details. I'll certainly be limiting my information to them based on what they ask me, nothing more!

• Like 1