California Wow: Noise Pollution

trader1

Anyone a member at CW on Sukumvit 23. They have the sound on the stereo cranked up to night club levels.

This week two letters in the Bangkok post complained about it- one was by a person who wasn't even a member, just walking by the building!

Edited by trader1

trader1,

I am a member there joined before it opened, the sales rep told me the club would open in 1 month...it opened 3 months later. The music has always been a bad experience from the start, aside from being WAY TO LOUD, it's dated...like walking into a 70's disco. I have complained many times, asking them to turn it down, was told by American mangers, "well it's a gym". Finally after many complaints, and an email they turned off the music in the locker room, It was so loud in there that it was impossibe to carry on a conversation with anyone. Frankly I take my ipod, but it's impossible to drown out the clubs music as it's so loud. i want to be able to control my own musical environment when I work out, as many others would ,ike to do. It's Ok to have the high rate BPM music in the arobic classes, but I perfer a more serene soundtrack when I'm using the cross training and weight machines.

I go to the gym to relax (even though 'm working out), and escape the noise pollution of Bangkok. Walking up to the entrance of the building and being blasted by the excessive dance music is a a huge turn off for everyone. I have talked to Thai's in the locker room about it, although most never complain to the staff all of them agree it's way overboard and they hate it.

The staff always says it's the clubs policy. I doubt that owner, who I've read articles about has the same policy at his home gym, not likely...if you ring his door bell is he running in place when he opens the front door.

The men's locker room is dirty, tattered. Shower curtains ripped and have holes, stopped up drains, locker doors that don't close, taped up hair dryers, etc.

How about a comment from the management?

-O

I enjoy the working out but hey need listen to their customers. No I won't go into the five phone calls a day to join aerobic, yoga classes or to pay for a personal trainer.

I'm sure the music volume at Wow is unbearable, but is is worth pointing out that some health clubs in the US are bad too. Instead of bringing an MP3 player with me to the gym I used to to, I brought ear plugs instead! :o

But everything I've heard about Wow sounds bad. I think I would avoid it even if it was the only alternative.

UC

I am a member for a few weeks now. I am going to try earplugs.

Thanks for at least getting the music turned off in the changing room!

I should say, it has good facilities generally- they give out towels for free, unlike Fitness First- and a large range of machines etc.

Edited by trader1

That's the point you really should'nt have to wear earplugs. I agree that the variety and availability of the workout machines are great. I don't consider getting a free bath and workout towel something special. We members have paid a joining fee in the thousands of baht, and pay a monthly membership fee, towels should be free. After you've been there a while you will notice the slimy floor in the shower areas, and other maintenance shortcomings.

Join the consensus and ask them at the font desk to turn the music down. They also provide suggestion slips, please fill one out if you have something to improve your experience.

-O

backflip,

I never said that "towels should be free to take home". I was responding to trader1 post "I should say, it has good facilities generally- they give out towels for free, unlike Fitness First- and a large range of machines etc". If you read the post in order you'll understand.

-O

I disagree to some extent....I go the gym to cardio and lift weights and want to be energized!....I personally like techno, trance, tribal etc. with a good base beat.... however, I agree that it should not be so loud that its deafening....it shouldnt be like the Ministry of Sound, but should be loud enough to energize (but low e'nuff to allow personal iPods, etc.)...California sometimes hires freelance DJ's who sometimes have good beats...

one side benefit of moderately loud music (in addition to energy) is to inhibit excessive talking...some people go just to socialize and take up machines, stations, etc. that's more than annoying...

the California branch at Siam Paragon must have listened to your complaints because they play amazingly boring "elevator music" in the locker room.....its so low and boring that it actually makes you sleepy :o omg, really bad if youre trying to get up for "body pump" or "spinning" or chest and tricep workouts...

please no "serene" music at the gym....

if you want that go the very nice upmarket places like Sukhothai Hotel or Four Seasons gym...

Funny you should mention this, I just found this blog Klong of Consciousness with a funny post entitled:

'California Wow: Healthy living or gay disco?'

http://klongofconsciousness.com/2008/02/02...g-or-gay-disco/

It's about the branch in Siam Paragon but it seems like the problems are to be found at all their gyms...

Sir_Sanuk.

Thanks for providing the link. I find the description of the writer's California WOW Experience to be not only hilarious, but unfortunately true that a first class equipped workout facility has an across the board reputation for not having a clue to what their customers want from the experience they offer.

The club I go to on Suk 23 sounds like a gay disco from the moment you approach the building. Furthermore, the trainers spend more time styling their hair and looking at themselves in the mirrors as to have any confidence as to their creditentals.

-O

• 1 year later...

Wow... sorry it's an old post but I couldn't pass by without saying.. while I find that Silom branch IS loud on the enterance, I've been a member in Suk 23 and now memeber at Ekkamai, I used to enjoy the music in the locker rooms and I miss it, well now I know why they turned it down...

I think if someone doesn't like the club why join? to complain??? oh the floor are slimy, the music is gay, this and that...I think you actually take a tour of a club before you pay the money...

I like California WOW, their price is good, the place is good for those who come to work out, the music used to be quite energising, now a bit less so , but I now know why... I second what was said here by trajan, you want serene music go to the upscale clubs, they are boring, empty, clean and quiet ( I was a member in JW Marriot for 3 years so I know what I am talking about)

• 2 weeks later...
I don't need to go to the gym, because i trained every machine on max allready. LOL

By the way, go to California, and you will be taken in the ass, don't drop the soap brother.

I have to see the first Thai that tries that with me.

Just been to Cali wow in Pink klao it was nice to go there. I usualy train at home got my own gym. But i think ill be taking spinning classes at california wow. I had a nice workout there i think i will go there from time to time to workout. Also there are a lot of nice girls walking around.

I train at Pink Klao banch in Bangkok, I think this branch is really good.

The machines are great, most of the people are nice and there arent any hero's there. The showers are ok. The only thing is that I find it is abit hot.

But other then that its a great place to work out. The trainers there are real trainerst too, not ex mechanics

The other day walking past California Fitness Ekamai intersection I was dragged into the place by some sales rep. Showed me around the place and explained why I, a skinny man, should do cardio instead of brisk-walking or jogging in my neighborhood which I usually do - how pathetic.

She called a trainer who shoved some device into my hand. Reading my body fat. Result: of course... I was in very poor health and too much body fat inside me. Yeah, right. What followed next was a 30 min lecture why I should give them my credit card number right away and sign up now. From quoting an initial 4000 Baht membership fee to a 1000 Baht fee 30 min later...

A pathetic place run by a bunch of pathetic sales bozos!

Avoid them!!!

Edited by Flow

The other day walking past California Fitness Ekamai intersection I was dragged into the place by some sales rep. Showed me around the place and explained why I, a skinny man, should do cardio instead of brisk-walking or jogging in my neighborhood which I usually do - how pathetic.

She called a trainer who shoved some device into my hand. Reading my body fat. Result: of course... I was in very poor health and too much body fat inside me. Yeah, right. What followed next was a 30 min lecture why I should give them my credit card number right away and sign up now. From quoting an initial 4000 Baht membership fee to a 1000 Baht fee 30 min later...

A pathetic place run by a bunch of pathetic sales bozos!

Avoid them!!!

Could be true that you have a high bodyfat while beeing skinny. You wont be the first, but i admit that this was probably a sales pitch.

Just been to Cali wow in Pink klao it was nice to go there. I usualy train at home got my own gym. But i think ill be taking spinning classes at california wow. I had a nice workout there i think i will go there from time to time to workout. Also there are a lot of nice girls walking around.

It was a pleasure to meet you there, and thanks for your weightlifting advice.

Maybe spysee can join us sometime for a workout.

Edited by bonobo

It was a pleasure to meet you there, and thanks for your weightlifting advice.

Maybe spysee can join us sometime for a workout.

Learned from you too, i like the idea of those giant sets.. i knew about them but never really tried them. Anyway we will workout again its fun.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't need to go to the gym, because i trained every machine on max allready. LOL

By the way, go to California, and you will be taken in the ass, don't drop the soap brother.

I have to see the first Thai that tries that with me.

True True Rob :) !

• 1 year later...