Doner Kebabs Where

FarangCravings

What is a doner kebab?

A doner kebab is a popular take-away food consisting of thin slices cut from a cylindrical block of minced and seasoned meat (beef, lamb or chicken), grilled on a vertical, rotating spit and eaten on unleavened bread with fresh salad and sauce. It is not a shish-kebab!

Does the above fit your description of a doner kabab? If it does you do not want the block as I assume you do not have a vertical grill or eat 50.000 kababs a day. So why not do the meat yourself. Buy the meat and freeze it. When required put the meat through a meat slicer. It has to be frozen or you can not slice it thin. Cook the meat in a fry pan with the seasoning you like (that is the hard part) the fry pan has to be hot as the meat has to be well cooked (close to burnt). Put it on the correct bread and salad with the sauce

Not as good as the real thing but if you can get the seasoning to you liking there be no complaints

:o

Personally I don't think you'll find the same here as your used to in the UK, sad as it is whenever I go back I hit the local kebab shop for a big lump of fatty meat in a bit of bread - nothing beats it :o

The UK kebabs are more lamb or mutton? based.

Woodys is good as UG pointed out and I also like the little Indian place on Rajawiti that sells chicken kebabs and samosas and stuff.

While you are at it, I could use some UK style Indian food, which is supposed to be the best in the world (even though I'm American). :D

who u kidding UG? :D

yeah and i get the best "san francisco" food in bangalore. :o

I've never been to England, but that is what the Limeys say! :D

While you are at it, I could use some UK style Indian food, which is supposed to be the best in the world (even though I'm American). :D

I might be a bit biased being a Brit but even though we don't have a great reputation for our homegrown food, we have a huge Indian immigrant population that provides us with the most popular food in the UK, a good curry :D

Haven't travelled much on the Indian sub continent but the best Indian food I've eaten has been in East London and Singapore.

I might be a bit biased being a Brit but even though we don't have a great reputation for our homegrown food, we have a huge Indian immigrant population that provides us with the most popular food in the UK, a good curry :D

Haven't travelled much on the Indian sub continent but the best Indian food I've eaten has been in East London and Singapore.

Technically (and at the risk of being pedantic :D ) most of the Indian food in the UK is really Bengali or Bangladeshi ... as Muslims they will prepare the meat dishes which many vegetarian Hindus will not touch ... and that is more to British tastes. I was posted to Mumbai for 6 months for work, working in a company full of Jains (kind of a strict branch of Hinduism), and found that home made veggie curries can be really very, very good.

Still wouldn't mind a big greasy doner once in a while mind ... *drools*

CC

Personally I don't think you'll find the same here as your used to in the UK, sad as it is whenever I go back I hit the local kebab shop for a big lump of fatty meat in a bit of bread - nothing beats it :o

Woodys is good as UG pointed out and I also like the little Indian place on Rajawiti that sells chicken kebabs and samosas and stuff.

I was told to try that indian place out. I must of got it on a bad day. Chicken meat was luke warm,(dodgy bum material). And it was covered in some sweet tasteing jizzy looking substance. My mate had the chicken curry, with dryed out crunchy yellow rice. We were very underwhelmed by the whole experience.

Most people that recomended it said that when he sets up at the temple in walking street it really is good, so i will give it another go and ask him to make the chicken hot.

The ones I am looking for is the lamb ones which are delicious and served with chili sauce (not yoghurt)

Woodys is chicken and nothing like UK Doner Kebabs as are most of the kebabs I have seen here.

I used to make them many years ago in the UK when my Dad had a chippie and I am looking at doing something here in CM and would love to of found a supplier of kebab meat to add to my menu Ahhh well guess I am going to have to get my remembering hat on and see if i can make it.

i know most people from the UK love a good doner or a good curry after a few pints if I get my way it will happen sooooon here in CM LOL

Edited by FarangCravings

Wiki is our friend.

In the US, the Arabic version called shawarma is quite common. That and gyros, it is rare to see it called donner in the US. I Know in Oz, it is usually donner. They all use the meat on a rotating spit and are not the same as kebabs. I have to say the best version I had was in Turkey and there it was served as a platter meal, not a sandwich. I think in Thailand it would also be called shawarma or donner, not gyros (which is Greek specific).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B6ner_kebab

Edited by Jingthing

Nahhh Nothing at the Peak as I have a Bar there and would of seen it

Doner Kebab is done on the same machine as the Swarrma and Gyro its just minced lamb with spices instead of mostly what i have seen here which is chicken

i am doing a lot of sourcing for a new venture so will keep looking although I am thinking I will probably have to learn how to do it again its not that hard to do just a little time consuming.

I've never been to England, but that is what the Limeys say! :D

Well then, on the chance that you have never been to New York either, might I interest you in the purchase of a certain bridge connecting Manhattan to one of the outer boroughs?

And, tip of the hat to the OP, good luck finding the meat you need for doner kebabs. I have never had precisely what they seem to be, although I have had some of the similar dishes others have described here, but they sound delish, luscious, scrumptious, marvellous, divine, to-die-for and, putting such highfalutin terms aside, just plain downright tasty, so I will be lining up one day to try them, if you ever have them on offer.

Sounds like a "Gyro" sandwich..is it?

Döner kebab (Turkish) = Gyros (Greek) = Shawarma (Israel; EDIT and apparently the Arab world)

Here's a link on how kebabs have developed - the stuff we Europeans know from back home apparently originated in a suburb to Berlin, as an adaption of the originally Turkish dish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B6ner_ke...round_the_world

When I used to eat Kebabs back home I never had a clue what was in them, I can't remember ever having one sober, and the beauty of them is that you always manage to spill loads of it down your shirt an you get home looking something like Sir Les Patterson :D

The vendors know full well a drunk can't handle a kebab so I reckon they used to fill them to overbrimming on purpose :o

When I used to eat Kebabs back home I never had a clue what was in them, I can't remember ever having one sober, and the beauty of them is that you always manage to spill loads of it down your shirt an you get home looking something like Sir Les Patterson :D

The vendors know full well a drunk can't handle a kebab so I reckon they used to fill them to overbrimming on purpose :D

Nonsense, I would never spill any of my delicious kebabs ... in fact I liked them so much I would buy two ... one to eat on a Friday night when I got in from the boozer, one to put in the fridge and microwave the next morning for a healthy brekkie (hey, it had salad on it :D ) ... just after I started doing this my live-in girlfriend of 7 years left me, can't imagine why ... :o

CC

I am looking for REAl Doner Kebab Meat anyone know where to get it in Chaing Mai all the kebabs sold seem to be falafa and chicken but not like the Doner kebab sold in Chip shops in the UK

So anyone know where I can get a real Doner Kebab

thanks in advance

I was quite fond of the donner kebab taxi rank drunken fight spilt grease night out myself. My dad used to say, "What the bloody 'ell 'ave you bin eating," in the morning.

I've never seen anything like those donners in CM, Woody's is closest but still not close. Sukhumvit bar squalor region has a few, tasty, but not the mega calorific grease hamper we all know and love. So, looks like there's a niche in the market, i will certainly be a customer of yours . . .

The only real Doners you find in Berlin, Germany. The Doner capital of the world.

Yessir and nowhere else!

Missed them often since living in LOS.

Or... is it another business idea (just to be copied asap as usual here...)

Edited by Crow Boy
fixed quote problem

Don't know about the Indian Restaurant but Woody definitely does them - call them swarma rolls, gyros, or whatever. The are a block of meat laid horizontally and spiked through on a vertical rod and cooked by a gas flame coming from the sides. The meat is sliced off and laid on unleavened bread (no yeast) with tomato and shredded lettuce. I prefer mine with chilli and bbq sauce but whatever does your fancy.

Send a PM to woody and he will possibly send you a reply as to his supplier of the meat and equipment - mind you being in business he may prefer to keep that little bit of information to himself.

Woody is also the only place in the world that I have seen PORK Doner Kebabs - very nice and one of my favourites - wonder if he would add beetroot, fried egg and a pineapple ring on one for me Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Beetroot ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

CB