Original Burger Mike Sighting

Ulysses G.

Mike was in town today talking about how expensive Subway sandwiches are and how little meat is inside the sandwiches. He feels like God wants him to bless Chiang Mai with real New York pizzas and sub sandwiches, but he has to sell his place in Phuket first.

I'm looking forward to his next venture in town.

Mike was in town today talking about how expensive Subway sandwiches are and how little meat is inside the sandwiches. He feels like God wants him to bless Chiang Mai with real New York pizzas and sub sandwiches, but he has to sell his place in Phuket first.

Do you know where his place in Phuket is..?

The Sunbelt ad says he is moving to China - perhaps they shifted to borders without letting anyone know :o

If he does start up a pizza and sub place I think he would be pretty good at it. Hope his sells his place in Phuket and moves up here soon. I can hardly wait for some newbie to start a new thread of "Hey wow that great guy Mike has opened up his new pizza place and it is fantastic" just like happened when he opened up the last drive through burger venture on Hangdong Road.

CB

I started a thread on him in the Phuket forum and it has all the info, plus pictures of the place. :o

Maybe I am looking in the wrong place, but I can't find your thread..? I am just curious to know where his business is in Phuket. I am not looking to buy it. If it's on the west side of the island, I doubt I'll go there though. I live nearer to Phuket town, and just need a good spot for lunchtimes. He does seem to have a good reputation, which is why I'd like to check it out.

I started a thread on him in the Phuket forum and it has all the info, plus pictures of the place. :o

Maybe I am looking in the wrong place, but I can't find your thread..? I am just curious to know where his business is in Phuket. I am not looking to buy it. If it's on the west side of the island, I doubt I'll go there though. I live nearer to Phuket town, and just need a good spot for lunchtimes. He does seem to have a good reputation, which is why I'd like to check it out.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1620899

If he does start up a pizza and sub place I think he would be pretty good at it. Hope his sells his place in Phuket and moves up here soon. I can hardly wait for some newbie to start a new thread of "Hey wow that great guy Mike has opened up his new pizza place and it is fantastic" just like happened when he opened up the last drive through burger venture on Hangdong Road.

CB

---

What is/was the name of the place on Hangdong Road? Was it "In -n Out" that is now out of business? That was a GREAT place! The malted milkshakes were HEAVEN :D:D:D - and the food there was the best fast food I have ever tasted! :o

Or is it another place that is still in business? You are not talking about "Kinlen", I hope - that place is just barely adequate.

-AG

CB

---

What is/was the name of the place on Hangdong Road? Was it "In -n Out" that is now out of business? That was a GREAT place! The malted milkshakes were HEAVEN :D:D:D - and the food there was the best fast food I have ever tasted! :o

Or is it another place that is still in business? You are not talking about "Kinlen", I hope - that place is just barely adequate.

-AG

In-n-Out was the name of the business Mike opened up on Hang Dong Road. Now that I am out at Hang Dong I miss it :D People can say what they like about Mike but he does a good food and sets up good businesses. The Hang Dong road was a miscalculation with bad location but the food was good unfortunately not good enough to make it viable and it went under.

Maybe he will start up a new chain of book stores - hmmm that would be interesting. Bring on the Book Wars 55555555

CB

Maybe he will start up a new chain of book stores - hmmm that would be interesting. Bring on the Book Wars 55555555

CB

Unlike my "competitors", Mike is clever enough to stick to businesses that he knows more about than most other people. THAT is the key to success! :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1620899

Thanks for the info. I found and read the thread. Too far for me to go though, in Chalong. And I don't eat meat anyway..! I though it was a sandwich bar..? The best place in the Chalong area is Sunrise Coffee shop, which is on the way towards the pier, from the circle. Excellent for breakfasts, and for cakes and coffee..! :D

CB

---

What is/was the name of the place on Hangdong Road? Was it "In -n Out" that is now out of business? That was a GREAT place! The malted milkshakes were HEAVEN :D:D:bah: - and the food there was the best fast food I have ever tasted! :D

-AG

In-n-Out was the name of the business Mike opened up on Hang Dong Road. Now that I am out at Hang Dong I miss it :D People can say what they like about Mike but he does a good food and sets up good businesses. The Hang Dong road was a miscalculation with bad location but the food was good unfortunately not good enough to make it viable and it went under.

CB

I agree with Crow Boy, except about the location. I think the opening of Big C has kind of a highlighted the development of the south side of town, and with a rumor of Carrefour also opening up nearby, must be a recognition that there is money in the area.

Keeping a restaurant open for 60 days, braking even on daily trade (as good old Mike told few regulars) and then shutting down is not a very business like decision.

I was and am a regular at Miguel's and I do remember Mike ranting on the 4 month of opening, that the trade "wasn't as good as it should be" and he was looking for a buyer.

Today, Miguel's, yes serving Mexican food, is one of the few places in town where one might have to wait in a line to get a table in middle of the week at dinner time.

The days of Original Mike Burger opening up, are not going to be repeated. If anyone thinks he can open up a business and make an overnight success, then you are definitely in the wrong city, country and for that matter continent.

But I think everyone aggress that Mike makes great food and has a following of customers. The only problem is he does not stick around! :o

Today, Miguel's, yes serving Mexican food, is one of the few places in town where one might have to wait in a line to get a table in middle of the week at dinner time.

Last night, Miguels was PACKED. He ran out of large tortillas, so I got a taco instead of a burrito.

Excellent as usual! :o

plashadow

. If anyone thinks he can open up a business and make an overnight success, then you are definitely in the wrong city, country and for that matter continent.

! i think the dukes proves that statement completely wrong. and yes i am aware that he owned other not so successful restaurants previous to the dukes. :o

Edited by malcy

Last night, Miguels was PACKED. He ran out of large tortillas, so I got a taco instead of a burrito.

Excellent as usual! :D

Relentless, cunning advertising. As usual.

It's quite impressive that a member of six weeks' standing and with seven posts to his name already knows it all :o

/ Priceless

Actually, if I was so 'cunning", I would take on a super helpful, nice, polite persona on TV, like most of the business owners do, but I rather have fun. :o

You already have sire - on this TV anyway, when you fondled the Miss-goody-2shoes button with "I'm opening more stores to give the Thais jobs"

I try to balance this masterful effluvium with, "If you want a hamburger place to succeed make sure the owner is American"

(Quotes = concept only)

I also admitted that supermoderator p1p - who is a highborn Brit - whipped up some of the best cheeseburgers to ever grace the tables of Chiang Mai. :D

Somebody ought to set you straight UG - so many threads on food and you still come across like a fellow who got grace marks and - failed!

P1P should stick to moderating/policing - he couldn't take out a cheeseburger from a take-out window in broad daylight.

The Duke's - even Denny's would leave it in the dust. A decent coffeshop in almost any similar 3rd world country in Asia would outclass Duke's easily. Let's not even talk about coffeeshops in western countries. Since the owner is American, I can say this - were this est. in the US, there would be no reason to visit twice.

Miguel's - which you've called the BEST mexican restaurant in Southeast Asia ..... fails the basics almost instantly. Why? The salsa. It is the 2nd worst in Chiangmai, honors going to Art's and one other place that had the nerve to serve up Tabasco instead. The salsa at the little Mex place in Panthip Plaza is superior by a wide margin. Almost any Latin Am. restaurant would have 4-5 different varieties of salsa and generally only bring out the extra-zingy one for special customers who specifically ask for that. Like German beer, salsa is the "engine" of Mex grub.

The dishes in general are at best, mediocre. But due to the salsa angle this is moot, akin to sex with no foreplay or conversation (although some of us dispense with the liability of the latter)

So how would Miguel's compare to even just a simple Mom & Pop Mex cafe in Tex, Ariz, So. Cal or Latin Am? 4 on a 1-10 scale. IMO!

Bottomline: Even disregarding price advantages, there is not one single farang restaurant in CM that would survive well were it located in its owner's country.

Korean & Japanese places on the other hand eclipse farang ones easily and are comparable to at least middle-range ones in their respective countries.

Indian restaurants in CM are a total disgrace.

Burgers - disaster. Burger King is the only one worth going to.

So if you start more hype threads on this subject you'd be doing more of the same - pissing .... & telling us its raining.

Hasta luego

Is this a reincarnation of The Fly Fisherman on the Hillside 4 Condo thread?

Can't decide between the baseball bat and the golf club.

Goosfraba, goosfraba, goosfraba.....

Actually, if I was so 'cunning", I would take on a super helpful, nice, polite persona on TV, like most of the business owners do, but I rather have fun. :o

You already have sire - on this TV anyway, when you fondled the Miss-goody-2shoes button with "I'm opening more stores to give the Thais jobs"

I try to balance this masterful effluvium with, "If you want a hamburger place to succeed make sure the owner is American"

(Quotes = concept only)

I also admitted that supermoderator p1p - who is a highborn Brit - whipped up some of the best cheeseburgers to ever grace the tables of Chiang Mai. :D

Somebody ought to set you straight UG - so many threads on food and you still come across like a fellow who got grace marks and - failed!

P1P should stick to moderating/policing - he couldn't take out a cheeseburger from a take-out window in broad daylight.

The Duke's - even Denny's would leave it in the dust. A decent coffeshop in almost any similar 3rd world country in Asia would outclass Duke's easily. Let's not even talk about coffeeshops in western countries. Since the owner is American, I can say this - were this est. in the US, there would be no reason to visit twice.

Miguel's - which you've called the BEST mexican restaurant in Southeast Asia ..... fails the basics almost instantly. Why? The salsa. It is the 2nd worst in Chiangmai, honors going to Art's and one other place that had the nerve to serve up Tabasco instead. The salsa at the little Mex place in Panthip Plaza is superior by a wide margin. Almost any Latin Am. restaurant would have 4-5 different varieties of salsa and generally only bring out the extra-zingy one for special customers who specifically ask for that. Like German beer, salsa is the "engine" of Mex grub.

The dishes in general are at best, mediocre. But due to the salsa angle this is moot, akin to sex with no foreplay or conversation (although some of us dispense with the liability of the latter)

So how would Miguel's compare to even just a simple Mom & Pop Mex cafe in Tex, Ariz, So. Cal or Latin Am? 4 on a 1-10 scale. IMO!

Bottomline: Even disregarding price advantages, there is not one single farang restaurant in CM that would survive well were it located in its owner's country.

Korean & Japanese places on the other hand eclipse farang ones easily and are comparable to at least middle-range ones in their respective countries.

Indian restaurants in CM are a total disgrace.

Burgers - disaster. Burger King is the only one worth going to.

So if you start more hype threads on this subject you'd be doing more of the same - pissing .... & telling us its raining.

Hasta luego

I don't disagree with you and I doubt UG would either, but we're talking about what's available here, not elsewhere. Haven't ever tried The Dukes, but I don't crave western food that often. Did try Miguels once. It's OK for Americanized Mecican food, though as you say, it could not compete as is in America. Personally, I prefer more authentic Mexican

food. probably won't be seeing anything like that anytime soon.

Somebody ought to set you straight UG

Did you ever even try p1p's Easy Diner - the best burger joint in Chiang Mai ever - or are you just talking out your butt - like the rest of your post?

As far as your comparing our local foreign restaurants with ones in Western countries, how long have you been here anyway? Sorry buddy, but you are not in Kansas any more. They just don't have top quality ingredients here.

It wasn't that long ago that one couldn't buy sour cream, or bagels or cheese cake here. Chiang Mai didn't even have a Burger King. Do you really expect restaurants out in the boonies of Southeast Asia to compare with fine French cuisine in Paris?

You ask, "So how would Miguel's compare to even just a simple Mom & Pop Mex cafe in Tex, Ariz, So. Cal or Latin Am?, and answer yourself, "4 on a 1-10 scale". IMO"! Well I totally agree with you there, but what do you expect? You are forgetting that you are in the middle of Thailand, not on Mission Street in San Francisco, and a 4 is darn good for here.

I haven't had any decent Mexican food in something like 18 years, and something rated 4 out of 10 compared to a Taco stand in So. Cal. tastes darn good to me and all of the folks that line up there every night and it is way better than any other Mexican restaurant in Thailand.

I will admit that when it comes to Indian resteraunts, you might know your stuff. IMO, they are indeed a disgrace, however, sabaijai may want to have a further word or two with you about that subject. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

i did say something to that effect UG to Basing POint but was deleted. of course in a manner where a moderator had to delete my post :o

anyways i am happy with whats available here in chiang mai and one should go back to wherever they come from to get food as authentic as they want.

i did say something to that effect UG to Basing POint but was deleted. of course in a manner where a moderator had to delete my post :o

anyways i am happy with whats available here in chiang mai and one should go back to wherever they come from to get food as authentic as they want.

personally, I like somtum :D