List Of Worst Eateries In Bangkok

CarlBkk

The Only place on convent I wouldn't go back to is La Boulange.

Why - La Boulange? I've eaten there several times over the years and never had a problem. Decent food and great bread. Actually the best deal is after 5p when all the baked good's including the quiche are 50pct off.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone mentioned Kuppa as one of the good ones...I went there only once and it was absolutely rubbish food. Lovely decor though. Anyone else have opinions on this place?

Another for my list: Yok Yor seafood...right on the river bank between Hilton and Baan Chaophraya apartments: not fresh, dodgy prawns, over MSG-d fried rice, not cheap. In all in, avoid...there are better seafood places (Goong Pao on Ratchada for example..now closed).

Also Italian restaurants on Langsuan, especially the first one you come to walking up on the left with a lot of windows. Avoid.

Someone mentioned Kuppa as one of the good ones...I went there only once and it was absolutely rubbish food. Lovely decor though. Anyone else have opinions on this place?

Kuppa used to be really good, I used to go there most saturdays for brunch around 2002-2003. Then it started going downhill. Crispy duck risotto which I used to love regularly now comes out dry. The sauce the drizzeled on it is non exisitent. These days it is rather hit and miss. The hit, usually, are their sandwiches, which are great - and still relatively good value.

A large 'miss' in my book, was their 'gourmet' bread basket, which is filled with less than gourmet bread, and mostly filled with the toast bread you buy from 7-11. Not the kind of thing you want over a good brekky.

Given they started off with something that was genuninely innovative for BKK - a truely decent cafe restuarant with the right atmosphere to go with it - this is a shame. Since then though they've just gotten lazy, and (especially the cooking) standards have dropped. If the owners read this, rather than slag them off, I'd encourage them to pick up their game. It wouldn't take much to bring things back up to speed.

Mostly though, it is not worth the money you pay, and though not rip off status, is fast approaching it. Having said that, we still go back there (increasingly) in the vain hope that the experience lives up to what it used to be.

There are places which serve better food for less money, and I don't mind paying for good food. There is one great place where I go for brunch these days, and approaches the type of morning I used to have at Kuppa (no not crepes and co). But I'm not going to let you fella's know where it is :o

Also Italian restaurants on Langsuan, especially the first one you come to walking up on the left with a lot of windows. Avoid.

are you referring to Romano? with the piano player? if so, thats long closed and the whole Unico building is being renovated.....just a few steps away, the Lumba Lumba seafood restaurant closed and the entire building is being renovated into a 4 story retail/restaurant/grocery zone called Portico...

if youre talking about No.43 Italian Bistro, that's OK (not the best or the worst).....further down Calderazzo is pretty good

tried once or twice and never go back:

Livingstone steakhouse suk 33

sunrise taco suk,

subway suk 7/1

greek restaurant Athena

crepes suk 12

chok chai steak house suk 23

Bei Otto (german restaurant) suk 20

pomidoro suk

that new york pizza place on suk soi 4 (forget the name, but like the others places it was recommended here on TV)

Coyote soi convent

La Boulange soi convent

Fuji

any place that does hotpots.... urgh, really rank horrible tasting food.

McDonalds

KFC, even though I still eat it often, just being lazy I guess.

Duke of Wellington is not worth going to for food, or beer really.

are you referring to Romano? with the piano player? if so, thats long closed and the whole Unico building is being renovated.....just a few steps away, the Lumba Lumba seafood restaurant closed and the entire building is being renovated into a 4 story retail/restaurant/grocery zone called Portico...

if youre talking about No.43 Italian Bistro, that's OK (not the best or the worst).....further down Calderazzo is pretty good

Hi, no it's none of those...first one as you're walking from Sukhumvit. Just can't remember the name of it. I agree that no.43 is an ok though.

Another for my list: Yok Yor seafood...right on the river bank between Hilton and Baan Chaophraya apartments: not fresh, dodgy prawns, over MSG-d fried rice, not cheap. In all in, avoid...there are better seafood places (Goong Pao on Ratchada for example..now closed).

It was me that mentioned Kuppa.

I had them down as ok not great, definitely overrated.

The place on Lang Suan , do you mean Airplane? if so I agree , not my favourite.

Cheers

Livingstone steakhouse suk 33 never eaten there

sunrise taco suk, Its OK, not great , but I will go back

subway suk 7/1 Subway is Subway, guess you just dont like it

greek restaurant Athena How long has it been closed

crepes suk 12 The ffod is OK , the ambiance in the garden is good , inside is a little too school room with the tables.

chok chai steak house suk 23 I forgot to add this to my good section , great value

Bei Otto (german restaurant) suk 20 Now I know your joking , great german food, maybe your Dutch

pomidoro suk At last we agree

that new york pizza place on suk soi 4 (forget the name, but like the others places it was recommended here on TV)Did you ever go there

Coyote soi convent Did you ever go there

La Boulange soi conventWe agreed twice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuji pay for what you get

I wonder how many of these you have actually been to....

Oh if anybody was wondering I have a 15% interest in all the places I said nice things about.

Cheers

sunrise taco suk,

greek restaurant Athena

crepes suk 12

pomidoro suk

that new york pizza place on suk soi 4 (forget the name, but like the others places it was recommended here on TV)

Coyote soi convent

La Boulange soi convent

Fuji

:o:D:D

Edited by Sir Burr

My main problem with Subway is the processed meats, however, it would be pretty difficult to provide fresh turkey and roast beef and such for a reasonable price.

As someone else mentioned, "Bangkok Bakery Co. (in the JW, best sandwiches in town)" is my favorite sandwich place too.

Your right about subway, but we know that before we go in!

Cheers

sunrise taco suk,

greek restaurant Athena

crepes suk 12

pomidoro suk

Coyote soi convent

La Boulange soi convent

Fuji

:o:D:D

He probably doesn't realize he could be banned or liquidized for saying something bad about a sponsor :D

Cheers

Why - La Boulange? I've eaten there several times over the years and never had a problem. Decent food and great bread. Actually the best deal is after 5p when all the baked good's including the quiche are 50pct off.

The bread is good.

I had awful problems with things cooked on site.

Service is terrible.

For me service accounts for a large percentage of the experience of dining.

Otherwise I might a swell stay at home, I really enjoy cooking and from feedback believe I am at least OK.

Cheers

I agree. It sells the BEST bread in Bangkok :o

My worst is the 2 Mexican places on Silom. One (La Fiesta I thnk) , we actually got up and left a few minutes after food was brought out, something my wife is loath to no matter how bad.

What's the other one then, Taco Loco? I agree, it's not as good as somewhere like Sunrise Tacos, but it's not too bad.

The Silom area has a few sub-standard places actually (as well as some excellent ones though) - there are a number of touristy restaurants along Surawong Road near Soi Thaniya - some of which rather bizarrely have plastic models of the food in the front window (one step up from photos in the menu I guess :D) - these places are all well worth avoiding...

The other Mexican place on Silom is Patty's , food is only marginally better the La Fiesta.

Taco Loco is the Taco Bell type counter in the same building as the Subway (J Mall?). Both are good for a lunch, but don't think they claim to be gourmet places.

I was surprised at an earlier pan of the Coyotes on Covent. I do wonder if the poster has actually been there or appreciates how hard even decent Mexican is to find in Asia.

Fuji's is ok, and we eat there regularly (Silom Complex or Central Rama III). I do think Zen is better but my wife does not agree (so guess where we go?). The Oshi all you can eat buffet on Narathiwat is a good deal, though quality of the sushi and sashimi is not the best. The stir fry stuff is good. The best Japanese I have had in Bangkok is in a second floor place on Soi Thaniya, but it probably helps to be able to speak Japanese or Thai to go there.

I really struggle to think of places we have been to we did not like enough to not go back. :o

TH

I think MK is the worst restaurant in Thailand. It's incredibly bland and way overpriced. You can go to one of those 99 baht suki buffet joints and get superior food in a better atmosphere and at a better price. Some of them even have swimming pools filled with prawns, that you catch yourself and grill on your hot pot. Way better than MK.

Chester's Grill, Santa's, A&W, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, and Pizza Company are all also bad. Although Santa's has some pretty good baked potatoes. Any of the tourist trap Thai or Seafood restaurants are also ridiculously bad. In fact most of the Thai restaurants in any tourist area are both poor quality and vastly overpriced. If Thai people don't eat there, neither do I.

I think MK is the worst restaurant in Thailand. It's incredibly bland and way overpriced. You can go to one of those 99 baht suki buffet joints and get superior food in a better atmosphere and at a better price. Some of them even have swimming pools filled with prawns, that you catch yourself and grill on your hot pot. Way better than MK.

MK is one of my favourate restaurants in Thailand. The hotpot is full of veg so really healthy and the duck and red pork is delicous. Just goes to show that this thread is all about personal taste.

PS What is the point in everyone slagging off McDonalds, Burger King, KFC etc. Everyone knows what they taste like! Every branch tastes pretty much the same the world over. These restaurants do the job of offering a quick fix of trashy food, that is what they do.

One place we used to take visitors was Baan Khanita on Sathon. Going for a drink at the Banyan Tree afterwards made for a great evening. However, our last few visits were really disappointing, and the last time, with my parents, was embarrassing. Tiny portions, poor quality meat, bland flavours... will not be going back. Guess we need a new downtownshowpiece Thai restaurant (please don't suggest Blue Elephant).

On another note, I've never understood why people keep going back to Bella Napoli. It's been recommended by so many friends but we have found the food really 'meh' each time we've been dragged. For that price range on Sukhumvit, I don't think it holds a candle to Basilico, Limoncello or La Gritta.

On another note, I've never understood why people keep going back to Bella Napoli.

Maybe you are ordering the wrong dish. IMO Bella Napoli one of the best value for money restaurants in Bangkok, the "Priest Pizza" is amazing and it costs less than a large pizza from Pizza company. Limoncello has pizzas of similar quality only 30% more expensive.

I agree about La Boulange on Convent

Used to enjoy breakfast there, but once tried the daily special....tuna I think. Inedible. But they refunded, so I forgive them. However tables too small and chairs very uncomfortable.

Add:

The Colonade at The Sukhothai - very overpriced, and food took forever to produce, (fried noodle), when there were only two other guests in the entire restaurant. Also the new "windows"/shutters next to the bar let all the smoke in to this no smoking restuarant. Maybe they've changed that?

Vino: (part of Zanotti), overpriced and watered down spirit drinks; food pretty unworthy of the brand.

Somerset Suan Plu restaurant: very long time to serve and truly inedible...fried noodles...how difficult can that be?

Angelini's: food highly indifferent

Shangri-la coffee shop: ditto

Edited by samtam

Yes Fuji is TERRIBLE

Don't go there at all.

Because that way I won't have to wait so long in the queue that forms out the front.

Yes I know smoking is popular too.

Go to a hi-so place and pay up to and beyond 10 times the price for the same food.

You'll feel better about yourself.

I repeat Fuji is overpriced, poor quality, has bad service and lousy atmosphere.

I also have no proof it wont give you cancer.

Oh its dirty in there too.

Smells bad also.

They'll pad your bill too.

Thank you for not eating at Fuji. With the slim chance that they'll improve I'll continue

to eat there but only for research purposes. I'll let you know if it does. So stay out

of Fuji let me do my work.

Yes Fuji is TERRIBLE

Don't go there at all.

Because that way I won't have to wait so long in the queue that forms out the front.

Yes I know smoking is popular too.

Go to a hi-so place and pay up to and beyond 10 times the price for the same food.

You'll feel better about yourself.

I repeat Fuji is overpriced, poor quality, has bad service and lousy atmosphere.

I also have no proof it wont give you cancer.

Oh its dirty in there too.

Smells bad also.

They'll pad your bill too.

Thank you for not eating at Fuji. With the slim chance that they'll improve I'll continue

to eat there but only for research purposes. I'll let you know if it does. So stay out

of Fuji let me do my work.

What Fuji are you talking about?

McDonalds.

KFC.

Burger King.

why people eat this rubbish in Thailand, which has so many more healthier and sometimes cheaper fast food options, is beyond me.

Pizza Hut and Pizza Company...these are not pizzas, it is slop on dough, covered in processed cheese.

Yes, we are above such droll eateries as you have mentioned. That is for the common folk......there is much anger in you.....

Edited by gbt71fa

Reply from Kuppa after seeing this thread:

"Dear Sir, Madame,

Thank you for forwarding the "quotes" and comments regarding Kuppa. We appreciate your concern and we are in the process of eliminating

these faults and problems. To maintain consistency while training new staff, is always an ongoing challenge for us.

We however will keep on trying and do our best.

Yours sincerely,

The Management"

Reply from Kuppa after seeing this thread:

"Dear Sir, Madame,

Thank you for forwarding the "quotes" and comments regarding Kuppa. We appreciate your concern and we are in the process of eliminating

these faults and problems. To maintain consistency while training new staff, is always an ongoing challenge for us.

We however will keep on trying and do our best.

Yours sincerely,

The Management"

haha...lets see.