Anyone Know Where To Find Maps Of The Proposed Skytrain Expansion Into Thonburi

submaniac

Just curious if the proposed BTS station and new line in Thonburi was going to be near my house (Tang Hua Seng area). I understand it is on Jaransanitwong, which is fine with me. I was hoping there would be a map out there of the proposed expansion. And, anyone know when it was supposed to be completed? Thanks.

This article in The Nation dated October 26, 2005 does not give details of the route but it gives you an idea why the implementation of the project has been delayed:

The long-delayed project has become a hot political issue in recent days as Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has shown his reluctance to support the governor’s bid amid dire city traffic problems.

Apirak, a member of the opposition Democrat Party, needed the city council to approve the budget so that the BMA can put the elevated mass-transit extension into service within a year.

Tthe plan has led to a power struggle - between the city administration led by Apirak and the national government led by Thaksin.

Despite the government’s failure to consider a budget for the BMA, Apirak has insisted on pushing ahead with the plan using the BMA’s own money.

On Tuesday, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra insisted that the BMA must seek prior approval from the Mass Transit Board (MTB) before constructing the extension. “[The city administration] must consult [the central government]. It can’t be done without prior consultation.”

--

Maestro

Frankly, not that many people would even know that THS is a deptment store, with just 2 branches.

The new route in TB that is likely to come fairly quickly, is simply ON TOP of the RAIlway coming from bang Sue toward taling Chan and on. Hence: no need to buy/extort land, easy access, comparable to the current building of airportlink on top of existing rail. As right here i dont have my all-BKK map at hand, I cannot tell how far from that shop it is. it will NOT come as ''skytrain'' on top of Charoen sanitwong.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I heard a rumor the other day about the BTS being completed to Don Meuang, work to start in the not too distant future. Should I start to get excited, or am I in for a very long wait?

Regards

Jaiyenyen

I have friends who work for BTS.. I keep asking...and they keep telling me they haven't been told anything in the way of start dates for either of the SkyTrain extensions... But...if you go out there, you can see they're working on them... both beyond OnNut and across the river...

I have friends who work for BTS.. I keep asking...and they keep telling me they haven't been told anything in the way of start dates for either of the SkyTrain extensions... But...if you go out there, you can see they're working on them... both beyond OnNut and across the river...

Does anyone have an idea when the few stations past On Nut will be open, as they look well on there way, or is it a case of waiting for all of it to be done.

Reason of asking i have been thinking about buying in one of the condos close to where the new BTS will be, they are 40k per m2 compared to 60-70k at On nut

Don't hold your breath.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I was afraid someone would say that. :o

I read somewhere that the Don Muang extension was approved and construction should begin this year. I think it is slated to be finished in 2012. - Or at least that is what the condo building that is going up near my house projects.

The Don Mueang (and on to Rangsit) route is not SkyTrain but part of the SRT Red Line. There should be a transfer to the MRT at Bang Sue. It's currently doing yet another round of design consultancy but supposedly will be out for construction tender later this year.

Expect it to take 4-5 years to complete, if they ever start that is.

Does anyone have an idea when the few stations past On Nut will be open, as they look well on there way, or is it a case of waiting for all of it to be done.

Reason of asking i have been thinking about buying in one of the condos close to where the new BTS will be, they are 40k per m2 compared to 60-70k at On nut

On Nut extension was started in mid-2006 and was supposed to be completed in 3 years. So I guess it should open in 2009 but 2010 would probably be more realistic estimate.

By the way, I visited Bangkok in early 2003 and Skytrain pillars were already erected to other side of the river. 5 years later they are still working on this 2.2km extension :o