Do Thais Get Heartburn?

sunreader

If you want to use a herbal remedy with no side effects I can recommend slippery elm powder.

It is very good for acidic conditions and reflux.

It is good to take a few capsules before you go out drinking and after you finish drinking before bed.

Anything with Quercitin in it is also good as it is an anti inflammatory.

You really should look at your diet and take preventative dietary action.

• 7 months later...
You can actually find the brand "TUMS" in Thailand.

are you in bangkok? could you tell me where you bought tums? thanks.. :o

Tums is a brand name of Calcium Carbonate. It should be very easy to find Calcium Carbonate chewable tablets. And it is quite safe to use as an antacid. Plus you get a daily dose of calcium to boot.

Do you have the name of a pharmacy or store where Tums or Rolaids, or the equivalent can be purchased? I have googled it, looked in Boots in Chiang Mai - can not find it.

Had a touch recently and popped into Boots/Watsons etc, but to no avail, in fact nowhere seemed to stock Gavisgon or Rennie which are so widely advertised in the UK, maybe because of a different diet Thais don't get it?

Same problem. I use Alum Milk, widely available from all pharmacies.

Oh, My lord do they ever get Heartburn, can you get milk from a cow? Concur on the Alum Milk, and may I add Antacil (Bt7(at 7/11) and AIR X(Bt15 at most pharmacies) for a little in your pocket realease, me I never eat out without one or the other in my pocket or in the car, as a matter of fact the Thai wife also keep her Antacil Handy :D:D:D:o

Can readily get generaic equivalents of Tums, Gaviscon etc etc . Problem stems from a requesting foreign brand name. Ask by generic:

Tums = calcium carbonate

Gavicscon = Aluminum/Magnesium Trisilicate

Read the label and make sure what you get sontains only this as among the multitude of preparations on the Thai market there are some that add things like kaolin or atropine which are best avoided.

• 9 years later...
On 2/27/2008 at 5:18 PM, Tammi said:

Anybody with persistent hearburn or feeling they need frequent antacids should see a doctor - especially northern Europeans with fair skin, blue eyes, blood type A, and low cholesterol.

You mean northern Europeans with fair skin, blue eyes blood type A and low cholesterol get heartburn more than others? That's strange.