Bigley's Wife To Become Nun In Xchange For Freedom

nogutsnoapplepie

The Thai wife of kidnapped British engineer Ken Bigley today vowed will become a Buddhist nun for three days if her prayers for his safe return are answered.

Sombat, 35, has been staying with her sister near Bangkok and regularly goes to a Buddhist temple to burn incense and pray for her husband’s return.

“If he comes back to me safely, I will ordain to be a nun for three days,” she said. “All my family vowed to the various holy spirits for his safe return.”

The militants posted a videotape on an Islamic Web site in which Mr Bigley, 62, from Liverpool was seen sobbing and repeatedly pleading for Prime Minister Tony Blair to help save his life.

Sombat has repeatedly pleaded on television for her husband’s release.

“I want to send a message to the abductors: I’m begging them to release my husband. My husband is a good person. He’s the only one who feeds my family,” she said .

Sombat recalled that just three months ago, her husband had been celebrating the construction of their new house in Thailand, where they plan to retire. He then went back to work in Iraq, but the couple – married seven years – planned to reunite around the end of this month, she said.

But then he was kidnapped, and she saw his videotaped plea for mercy.

“I felt so bad to see his picture, without him I have no one to look after me,” Sombat said.

Members of Sombat’s family, in their village in the poor north-eastern province of Surin, have described Bigley as friendly and helpful during his stays there.

“While with us, Ken took care of the house. He even helped my daughter in the rice field during the cultivation season,” Sombat’s father, 69-year-old Lib Sa-gnuandee, said: “They were an ordinary couple, who lived a simple life. All the neighbours are fond of him.”

Mr Bigley and two American colleagues – who have already been beheaded by their captors – were kidnapped from their house in Baghdad on September 16. The militants have threatened to also kill the Briton unless Iraqi women are freed from prison.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?...180&p=yy898z886

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony Blair has ordered the fearsome SAS and MI6 hit squads to rescue kidnapped Brit Ken Bigley "at all costs". Bigley, who has been held by the fanatical group for 12 days, is a ticking timebomb as his family are terrified that he will be slaughtered ahead of Tony Blair's speech to the Labour Party.

THE brother of British hostage Ken Bigley fears he could be killed today.

There are fears that engineer Ken could be executed within 24 hours to embarrass Tony Blair before his speech to the Labour Party Conference in Brighton. Ken Bigley's brother Paul admitted: “If he is to be killed it will probably be on Monday so that the savages holding him can get maximum propaganda out of it.”

Ken, 62, has been held for 12 days by fanatics led by ruthless Jordanian Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. They are demanding the release of women prisoners in Iraq. Two Americans captured with Ken have already been beheaded.

Paul Bigley last night called Mr Blair’s silence the “kiss of death” as he addressed an anti-war rally at the Labour conference over a phone link. He told delegates: “Ask Mr Blair to pick up the bloody phone.”

Ken’s Thai wife Sombat, 35, yesterday told how she had begged him not to work in Iraq as it was too dangerous. She sobbed: “I don’t want him to die like this.”

Muslim singer Cat Stevens has begged Ken’s captors for mercy.

Tony Blair has ordered the fearsome SAS and MI6 hit squads to rescue kidnapped Brit Ken Bigley "at all costs". Bigley, who has been held by the fanatical group for 12 days, is a ticking timebomb as his family are terrified that he will be slaughtered ahead of Tony Blair's speech to the Labour Party.

THE brother of British hostage Ken Bigley fears he could be killed today.

There are fears that engineer Ken could be executed within 24 hours to embarrass Tony Blair before his speech to the Labour Party Conference in Brighton. Ken Bigley's brother Paul admitted: “If he is to be killed it will probably be on Monday so that the savages holding him can get maximum propaganda out of it.”

Ken, 62, has been held for 12 days by fanatics led by ruthless Jordanian Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. They are demanding the release of women prisoners in Iraq. Two Americans captured with Ken have already been beheaded.

Paul Bigley last night called Mr Blair’s silence the “kiss of death” as he addressed an anti-war rally at the Labour conference over a phone link. He told delegates: “Ask Mr Blair to pick up the bloody phone.”

Ken’s Thai wife Sombat, 35, yesterday told how she had begged him not to work in Iraq as it was too dangerous. She sobbed: “I don’t want him to die like this.”

Is he really sending rescue teams?? Do they know where he is?? I feel for the family member's left behind i also feel for the victims to a point they went to a war zone to make money My friend who is an expert shot with a rifle was was made an offer to go but he would be doing security and would be armed, He also said is <deleted> hit the fan just keep passing me ammo. But my friend never accepted the offer, 1000 dollars a day is not worth your life. He was tempted though.

Somethings gotta be happening because there's suddenly no daily coverage of the situation....hmmm.

I wish they did that for the american's but US policy do not bargain with terrorists.

Maybe the terrorist's want no coverage more scary this way, I would love to see the SAS or Mi6 blast those terrorists away :o

hi'

well ... if they knoew where he is, why didn't they do something yet?

if they don't know ... it looks like a very risky stuff :D

if they really go ... wishing them good luck :o

they might end with more problems, hostage killed and some more casualties :D

wishing that he's still alive ...

francois

hi'

well ... if they knoew where he is, why didn't they do something yet?

if they don't know ... it looks like a very risky stuff :D

if they really go ... wishing them good luck :o

they might end with more problems, hostage killed and some more casualties :D

wishing that he's still alive ...

francois

I myself being in the US military We have a silent code "No man gets Left Behind" Or woman for that matter, If they do it go to rescue him I wish them striaght aim into the heads of the people holding him and i hope they don't kill him before this happens You have to take risks sometimes. :D

In a news paper interview with Robin Cook yesterday (Tuesday - day of Conferance), he was asked "Do politicians always tell the truth and should they?". The answer to this was along the lines of, "usually yes, but it is sometimes in the publics best interests that things are not publicised. Think of what is currently happening and you will understand why". The paper took this to imply that things were underway do to with certain hostages that were best kept secret, for now at least".

Watch this space, me thinks. :o

One thing is for sure, GB will not backdown to their demand's (just as the US didn't). It is illogical to do so - though often very sad.

Sky News, 29/09/04 16.00 GMT

BIGLEY CAGED AND CHAINED

British hostage Ken Bigley has appeared caged, chained and pleading for his life in new video footage.

In the harrowing recording, shown on the Arab TV channel al Jazeera, Mr Bigley renews his appeal for Tony Blair to meet the kidnappers' demands and save his life.

He then breaks down in tears as he accuses Mr Blair of ignoring his plight.

"He doesn't care about me. I'm just one..." he says before holding his head in his hands and sobbing.

He said his captors did not want to kill him.

Brother Paul said he was relieved that Mr Bigley was alive - but was distressed by the images.

"Ken is alive, that is a good thing," he said.

"It does not look good with him caged like a hound but he is alive."

He went on to say a message he had received on Tuesday night, claiming that Mr Bigley would be released, "was 100% genuine".

The report said the Tawhid and Jihad group, headed by Jordanian terrorist Abu Musab al Zarqawi, would release him.

The chairman of the Liverpool Mosque and Islamic Institute, Mohammad Akbar Ali, said he was delighted at the news.

He said: "This would seem to offer some further hope that he will be released alive.

"Let's hope that it is true. We look forward to his release with great delight."

Mr Bigley was kidnapped in Baghdad on September 16 with two Americans, Eugene Armstrong and Jack Hensley, both of whom were murdered.

But the website message claimed the terrorists were going to free the 62-year-old in order to "humiliate" the British Government.

However, analysts urged caution over the report, pointing out that other claims made on Islamic websites had turned out to be completely false.

One report said two Italian aid workers had been "slaughtered" - but it emeged last night that they had been freed.

There has been no firm news of his fate since his abductors, led by Abu Musab al Zarqawi, released a distressing video of him pleading for Prime Minister Tony Blair to save his life last week.

In a news paper interview with Robin Cook yesterday (Tuesday - day of Conferance), he was asked "Do politicians always tell the truth ....

Robin Cook? :o:D:D:D He's the guy who was <deleted>.cking his secretary, denying everything to the press, got photographed shoving cash into the parking meter outside her flat, got tipped off by a buddy in the press that a picture would appear in a Sunday newspaper, so dumped his wife the next day at Heathrow Airport on the way to a holiday.

Obviously someone whose words can be trusted.

The Thai wife of kidnapped British engineer Ken Bigley today vowed will become a Buddhist nun for three days if her prayers for his safe return are answered.

THREE day's NOW THATS COMITTMENT

Yes, back to the topic.

She will become a nun for three days.

And?

Big deal, loads of Thai ladies burn incense and pray.

I see she has her families best interests at heart also.

Poor sod, I hope he comes through it.

What do you make of this? - just came up on sky.com

BIGLEY 'RELEASE' STATEMENT

This is the translation of the communique posted on the website AlQalah.com claiming that Ken Bigley was about to be released.

"Let his liberation be a clear message to the British people and also an appeal for them to realise the incapacity of their government and its crime in not freeing Iraqi prisoners in exchange for the life of their son.

"The London government has confirmed its indifference towards the life of one of its own children and its continual insistence of carrying out crimes in Iraq, following the criminal Bush who is disinterested in human life, including that of his own people, who he has sent to Iraq to die to serve Zionism and his own objectives.

"The prisoner urged and begged his government to be freed but the reply from that government was to disassociate itself of all its moral responsibility which it has always lacked.

"His family then pleaded with the lions of the Jihad to have mercy on him and his weakness and asked Islam to show justice.

"To emphasise the humiliation of the British Government and its army, Tawhid wal Jihad has decided to spare Bigley, his family and the British people giving him his life and sparing him the punishment that he deserved for helping criminals who have killed."

:o

Don't know where this information about the SAS going in came from, but certainly don't believe that this is likely to happen.

How can anyone take anything serious about the British government, following Tony Blair's address to the Labour Party yesterday. His admission the there were no weapons of mass destruction just shows the appalling lack of judgement he made. To cap it all, what about the Foreign Secretary, Jack Straw actually shaking hands with Mugwabe of Zimbabwe, and saying "Good to see you!"

As regards statements from Ken's wife, she would not be the first person too be misquoted, or have things taken out of context. I feel that those knocking her should remember that they have been married for seven years, and that making merit by becoming a nun, even for a short period, is nothing unusual in Thai life.

I really do feel bad for Ken Bigley and his family. I think his wife would be better off converting to Islam to try and save his life . In thedistant past where there was some sense of nobilty it was a choice of convert and save your life, or lose your head. Although, it doesn't seem important to these guys, taking Egyptian hostages ect.

It seems funny if u have a rescue plan.. it appears in the media? Surely you would keep it hush, hush. Call me cynical, but politics are the agenda as with Bush and Howard .

As regards statements from Ken's wife, she would not be the first person too be misquoted, or have things taken out of context. I feel that those knocking her should remember that they have been married for seven years, and that making merit by becoming a nun, even for a short period, is nothing unusual in Thai life.

It was a stupid thing for me to say and i totaly agree with what you say.

Like everyone else here i sincerely hope for Mr Biggley's safe release and obviously cannot imagine what either he or his family is feeling or going through right now.

Lets just hope that there is a happy ending to this sad story, there is hope however, they released the two Italian women that were being held captive, they are now back in there homeland of Italy, i also believe they released three others they wer holding captive, Egyptians i think. So heres hopping for some good news soon. :o

Wasn´t he an arthur dailey when he was singing... So technically not a ´muslim singer´, oh, and technically no longer Cat Stevens, but Yusuf Islam!!

Oh, I heard he got turned away from the US, as a credible threat. Apparently the entire plane was diverted somewhere.

Suggesting that the SAS are involved can only be speculation simply because they operate covertly and any plans re their involvment would, to use their terminology, compromise their plans.

The terrorists are exploiting the situation and highlighting the impotent British government who along with the US will never negotiate with terrorists.

The unfortunate Mr Bigley has become a high valued prisoner because of the worldwide publicity and I think after the maximum embarrassment has been gained

he will be released.