You get the onshore rate. On Friday, for example, Bangkok Bank’s selling rate was THB 31.37 for the dollar for TT (telegraphic transfers). This would have given you USD 12,751.04 and the bank charges a fee of THB 500

--

Maestro

You get the onshore rate. On Friday, for example, Bangkok Bank’s selling rate was THB 31.37 for the dollar for TT (telegraphic transfers). This would have given you USD 12,751.04 and the bank charges a fee of THB 500

--

Maestro

Great. Can you explain when the offshore rate would be used?

The offshore rate would be used if you could have your Thai bank send Baht to the US bank. However, Thailand does not allow this. The conversion into foreign currency must be made in Thailand.

--

Maestro

The offshore rate would be used if you could have your Thai bank send Baht to the US bank. However, Thailand does not allow this. The conversion into foreign currency must be made in Thailand.

--

Maestro

So it works out in my favor in this case. That's a pleasant surprise.

If the 34 rate is applied outside Thailand, what stops tourists from buying all their Baht at home before coming over for a holiday?

--

Maestro

If the 34 rate is applied outside Thailand, what stops tourists from buying all their Baht at home before coming over for a holiday?

there is no "34 rate" offshore and neither does a "34 rate" exist onshore.

Edited by Naam

--

Maestro

there is no "34 rate" offshore and neither does a "34 rate" exist onshore.

Back a couple months ago when I was watching Bloomberg daily, it clearly showed two different rates for Thai Baht. Offshore and onshore. 31 and 34. Am I missing something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_baht

There was no significant difference between offshore rate and onshore rates until they were introduced by Reserve Requirement on Short-Term Capital Inflows on December 19, 2006. Since then, the divergence has become marked, with the smaller offshore rates being up to 10% or more higher than large turnover onshore rate. It seems that ATM withdrawals get the onshore rate

Also:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=asia

Clearly, there have been two different rates. Have things recently changed?

Edited by ChiangMaiThai

Back a couple months ago when I was watching Bloomberg daily, it clearly showed two different rates for Thai Baht. Offshore and onshore. 31 and 34. Am I missing something?

yes you do miss something! today is not "a couple of months ago" :o

I guess I should have kept watching.

So now the offshore and onshore rates are the same or only marginally different? On what date did this take effect?

I guess I should have kept watching.

So now the offshore and onshore rates are the same or only marginally different? On what date did this take effect?

only last week both rates converged. there was no specific date. the conversion was slow and started more or less with the civilian government taking over.