New Helmet Law - Breaking News

phuketrex

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand this , if someone tell them that helmets save lifes, and show them pictures of all the thousands of thai people killed in the traffic each year , will they start using helmets?

Do they teach in school that helmets is a good thing ? What is the word for safety in thai?

:o

I saw my personal record this week, a family of 6 riding club sandwich style, 2 little ones in front, dad, 2 more little ones and mom at the back.

Beats mine: 5 1/2, the wifey was pregnant.

Friday am they stray 10m from Xhieng Kong Police sta as its mkt day and rich pickings

many accidents occur as Thais suddenly do U turns

Perhaps the public were allowed citizens arrest and fines for unhelmeted cops...dream on

In equally hot Malaysia this seems to be strictly enforced in Oz u are supposed to wear on a bike

There you got mandate every school not to allow the motorcycles to leave school if they are not wearing a crash hemlet or there are more then two on the bike, do monthly checks on lights, tyres etc and licence checks. Perhaps use one period all bikes to be lined up and checked using M6 students trained to check the bikes. Use vol police at each school. Surely the education should start at the schools. and in time it will get better.

I believe in US you have driver ed? wot ever that is, bring it in Thailand schools could issuse temp liences to student and their bikes, revoke if there are failings etc etc blah blah blah.......

My wife works in a school for 8-12 year olds in the U.K. . Every year they hold a cycling proficiency test, kids that don't pass the test are not allowed to bring bikes to school and bikes that are not up to standard are not allowed onto the school premises, perhaps Thai schools could do a similar thing with motor bikes, maybe even a govenrment sponsored road safety day at every school.

Police to be tougher on motorcyclists

(BangkokPost.com) –The police have renewed efforts to get tough on motorcycles and passengers riding pillion who fail to wear safety helmets.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau said motorcyclists who fail to abide by safety regulations will immediately face a 500 baht fine. The fine will be doubled if passengers riding pillion are not wearing a helmet. Police warned the helmet must also be up to internationally accepted standard.

They’re also keeping a close eye on motorcyclists who fail to respect traffic regulations especially those who make a habit out of riding against the traffic flow.

A motorcyclist with more than one passenger riding pillion will have to answer to the police as will those who fail to stop at marked areas at traffic lights.

And so it's still only farang who need be extra careful then?

Edited by tamsin

I dont understand this , if someone tell them that helmets save lifes, and show them pictures of all the thousands of thai people killed in the traffic each year , will they start using helmets?

Do they teach in school that helmets is a good thing ? What is the word for safety in thai?

:o

Friday am they stray 10m from Xhieng Kong Police sta as its mkt day and rich pickings

many accidents occur as Thais suddenly do U turns

Perhaps the public were allowed citizens arrest and fines for unhelmeted cops...dream on

In equally hot Malaysia this seems to be strictly enforced in Oz u are supposed to wear on a bike

Oz has a real police force, unlike the crime syndicate in brown uniform we see here. You can't compare the two.

When it comes to safety, Thais are lazy/stupid/careless/irresponsible when it comes to simple precautions whether they are on foot, pushing a food cart, baby stroller, riding a bicycle, motorcycle, driving a car, truck or bus. Anyone usually has a basic instinct for survival and natural fear of pain and injury, Thais seem to be an exception to this.

What does this mean then? If you're in Bangkok and you get a motorcycle taxi, the driver is supposed to provide his fare paying customer with a helmet? If he doesn't then he is responsible for paying the double fine 1000 baht! Yeh right! If it does take off then I can see the driver paying little or nothing and me getting hassled for some sort of contribution!

Considering that most of the motorbike taxi stands are owned by the police I don't think the drivers have much to worry about!

My wife works in a school for 8-12 year olds in the U.K. . Every year they hold a cycling proficiency test, kids that don't pass the test are not allowed to bring bikes to school and bikes that are not up to standard are not allowed onto the school premises, perhaps Thai schools could do a similar thing with motor bikes, maybe even a govenrment sponsored road safety day at every school.

Road safety training in schools in the UK has been a fact of life since I was

in primary school 55 years ago. :o

I am very glad to hear that it still goes on.

For it to work in Thailand it would be necessary to start with the

police and teachers. Otherwise the pupils will get a very bad example.

So, if the motorbike has a pillion rider with no helmet and the fine is 500 Baht, who pays the fine, the driver or the passenger? Could get very interesting as I don't think I've ever even been offered a helmet when motorbike-taxiing from my apartment to the BTS station, and don't think I've ever seen anyone else wearing one either.
Heng, I have been offered helmets, and worn them, on motosai taxis in Bangkok. Maybe you do not look the helmet-riding type. :o

So, if the motorbike has a pillion rider with no helmet and the fine is 500 Baht, who pays the fine, the driver or the passenger? Could get very interesting as I don't think I've ever even been offered a helmet when motorbike-taxiing from my apartment to the BTS station, and don't think I've ever seen anyone else wearing one either.
Heng, I have been offered helmets, and worn them, on motosai taxis in Bangkok. Maybe you do not look the helmet-riding type. :o

I'm offered them (and wear them) all the time when being taken on a major road. Just not the smaller back-sois.

The helmets must be up an internationally accepted standard. Oh, sure. What Thai helmet meets Snell, DOT, or the European standard? What does Sergeant Pongsakornachol know about international standards? Is he going to fine you for wearing a 19,000 baht Shoei or Arai because he doesn't see the logo of the Thai Mickey Mouse standard?

This may duplicate a breaking news announcement in the News Clippings forum.

Well don't care what the BIB say I brought over my own Shoei full face if I do exit the bike at least my swede will have a resonable amount of protection.

Gwynt

well, i don't know why anyone would want to buy that plastic lid, when you can get a full face index for 1500 baht or so at the honda dealership. its what i had. might not reach snell ratings, but gotta be better then what most use.

well, i don't know why anyone would want to buy that plastic lid, when you can get a full face index for 1500 baht or so at the honda dealership. its what i had. might not reach snell ratings, but gotta be better then what most use.

Definitely, the other local plastic buckets may actually perform unwanted plastic surgery on you upon impact along with added encrusted gravel all over it.

I'm on my 3rd Index in 5 years, not because they broke, but I replace them after a while for safety reasons since the dents, knocks and UV rays make them somewhat weaker. A full face helmet saved my life once I am sure, avoided severe disfigurement as well and I've never worn anything else since.

(BangkokPost.com) –The police have renewed efforts to get tough on motorcycles and passengers riding pillion who fail to wear safety helmets.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau said motorcyclists who fail to abide by safety regulations will immediately face a 500 baht fine. The fine will be doubled if passengers riding pillion are not wearing a helmet. Police warned the helmet must also be up to internationally accepted standard.

They’re also keeping a close eye on motorcyclists who fail to respect traffic regulations especially those who make a habit out of riding against the traffic flow.

A motorcyclist with more than one passenger riding pillion will have to answer to the police as will those who fail to stop at marked areas at traffic lights.

all them laws already exist in Thailand... what they need is to have the cops get off their butts and do impliment them !!! not just use the rules as a extra income grabbing tools... havent you noticed?/ way more road blocks in the countryside toward the end of the month .... need cash to keep all them mistress and payments going LOL

I replace them after a while for safety reasons since the dents, knocks and UV rays make them somewhat weaker. A full face helmet saved my life once I am sure, avoided severe disfigurement as well and I've never worn anything else since.

Good advice. I do it for my bike (pedal) helmets because the material does breakdown overtime. I currently use an Italian made motorcycle helmet that meets EU and US DOT standards that set me back 8700 bh, Not full though because I don't ride much and it's only as a passenger. Know what my Thai freind's reaction was? Oh no need, we won't crash. Yeah right.

Edited by geriatrickid

So it means all those 99baht plastic helmets like nearly everyone wears are now illegal...everyone has to buy one to International standards whatever that is AND have another one for a passenger...AND no more than 2 people on a bike!!!!!!!!

ABOUT TIME DON'T YOU THINK?

I'm offered them (and wear them) all the time when being taken on a major road. Just not the smaller back-sois.

Never ever has I been offered a helmet by a motosai taxi. Well maybe I have too sweatty looking head? But seriously, is that common only in central BKK maybe?

I've seen far too many decapitated heads bouncing off curbs, blood splattered streets, and families destroyed during my years in Thailand. You'd think they would have gotten the message already. I have zero sympathy except for the affected innocents. With any luck, all the perpetraors will hurry up and be gone...

What is the word for safety in thai?

i said is somewhere before and will say it again here "j-a-t-u-k-a-r-m r-a-m-a-t-h-e-p" :o

I think the amulet fever is cooling down at last:

On Friday, about 200,000 round-shaped amulets that carry the God in the middle were reportedly dumped near a temple in Nakhon Si Thammarat. They were scattered under trees and some were still in fertiliser bags.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/03/17...l_30068315.php/

What is the word for safety in thai?

i said is somewhere before and will say it again here "j-a-t-u-k-a-r-m r-a-m-a-t-h-e-p" :D

I think the amulet fever is cooling down at last:

On Friday, about 200,000 round-shaped amulets that carry the God in the middle were reportedly dumped near a temple in Nakhon Si Thammarat. They were scattered under trees and some were still in fertiliser bags.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/03/17...l_30068315.php/

Amulet with accounts of miracles in which God saved people in accidents. A woman was killed in the frenzy to get such an amulet, a helmet may have saved her. :o The amulet fever always comes back.