Eu Resident Able To Travel To Uk?

Hi all, i have just had an interesting conversation with Billy Know All, he told me that my Thai neice (who has had many probs with the British Embassy in BKK), can legally travel to the UK by North Sea Ferry with her Austrian Residency ID card, is this true? does anyone know?

Just a point of interest for you all, my neice flies to he UK 2-3 times a month and stays over for a day then back as she is a Air Stewardess but the Embassy still give her crap when she asks for a visa to see my mum, the lady she has called Grandma for 15 years or so.

Palusa

Hi all, i have just had an interesting conversation with Billy Know All, he told me that my Thai neice (who has had many probs with the British Embassy in BKK), can legally travel to the UK by North Sea Ferry with her Austrian Residency ID card, is this true? does anyone know?

Just a point of interest for you all, my neice flies to he UK 2-3 times a month and stays over for a day then back as she is a Air Stewardess but the Embassy still give her crap when she asks for a visa to see my mum, the lady she has called Grandma for 15 years or so.

Palusa

If she is an EU resident then she should be visa exempt for entry to the UK as far as I would understand. I'm sure that Scouser will be able to put you straight. What passport does she actually have?

AFAIK the UK is not part of the Schengen agreement allowing EU citizens access to another EU member without a passport. So your niece will probably need to show a passport at immigration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement

A few years ago while working and living in Italy, my missus still needed a valid visa when entering Gatwick. Best call immigration.

Ironic thing was when we returned here, tried to return the residency and they didn't want it back. On returning to the UK on a new UK visa, we were able to go to France on the old Italian residency which hadn't expired. Very stupid system.

Whilst your niece continues to travel on a Thai passport, she will require a visa to enter the UK. If she arrives as cabin crew and will be leaving as cabin crew (i.e. working) she is exempt from the visa requirement and may stay until she is scheduled to leave on her rostered flight. If she is resident in Austria, why doesn't she apply for a visa at the British embassy in Vienna?

Scouse.

Whilst your niece continues to travel on a Thai passport, she will require a visa to enter the UK. If she arrives as cabin crew and will be leaving as cabin crew (i.e. working) she is exempt from the visa requirement and may stay until she is scheduled to leave on her rostered flight. If she is resident in Austria, why doesn't she apply for a visa at the British embassy in Vienna?

Scouse.

Thank you very much Scouse, so its bull she cant get in on her ID card.

She always gets refused here in BKK and has to go to Austria where she has no probs, but she flies from the Gulf and has to pay for a special flight to Austria, Hotel etc then on to the UK.

Mate you seem a knowlegable guy please explain to me why a girl who has obeyed her visa conditions to the absolute limit and has many professional people who actually know her give references about her character and have known her for 5 years be ignorantly dismissed by someone who knows her through a glass screen for 10 mins.

Fact is if she wanted to run off and stay in the UK she has had more opertunity than anyone who has ever been on this forum, does she ?, no does she hel_l so what the bloody hel_l is going on in that Embassy.

I am so confused.

Regards Palusa

Whilst I hear what you say, I'm not really in a position to comment on individual cases without knowing the in-and-outs of it all. However, there is no doubting that periodically the embassy visa section does come up with some egregious decisions.

If your niece is based in the Gulf, I presume she must have a residence permit for that particular Arabian country, so she can try applying at the British embassy there.

Scouse.