Brave Belgian Helps Detain Suspected Thief..............

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya City News: April 24th 2008

Brave Belgian helps to detain suspected thief in Central Pattaya.

In the early hours of Thursday Morning yet another bag snatch took place here in Pattaya.

Police Major Witaya was called to Soi Jirapon off Soi Beokeow following reports of a man who had been detained following a bag snatch from a 21 year old Thai Woman.

At the scene, Police spoke with Khun Wanna who was slightly injured following the snatch. A 27 year old Thai Man, Khun Moo had been arrested, thanks to quick thinking by Khun Wanna’s boyfriend, Mr. Kurt Vandenbusche aged 37 from Belgium.

He was riding his motorbike and Khun Wanna was sitting behind him when two Thai Men, one of which was arrested, approached on a further bike and snatched her shoulder bag, which contained a mobile phone, some cash and personal documents.

Mr. Vandenbusche bravely followed the pair and forced them to crash their bike. One of the suspects managed to escape, while Khun Moo was detained by members of the public. He explained that the other man is known as “Doo” and Police are searching for him at this time.

Libya 115 Says: Mr Vandenbusche is fortunate that the detained thieves did not turn on him with knives and stab him mercilessly to death, as is the norm in the Soi Buakheaw area.

Photograph courtesy of PCN (A thief named 'Moo') (Keep a look out for the missing 'Doo'!

post-26634-1209041833_thumb.jpg

Mr Vandenbusche is fortunate that the detained thieves did not turn on him with knives and stab him mercilessly to death, as is the norm in the Soi Buakheaw area.[/b]

That's coming later!

I completely agree with you. To chase down a bag-snatching thief in Pattaya (or any poor Third World country or American ghetto) is the act of a fool. I don't know about this Belgium fellow, but my life is too enjoyable to possibly loose over the contents of my wallet or GF's purse (even if it was a new N-series phone)!

In addition to the risk of future retaliation, there is also the chance that while madly chasing down a thief through the narrow crowded sois of Pattaya, one could crash and cause serious injury/death to oneself or others.

That's the 2nd time I read the same remark from libya 115 :

Libya 115 Says: Mr Vandenbusche is fortunate that the detained thieves did not turn on him with knives and stab him mercilessly to death, as is the norm in the Soi Buakheaw area.

So according to you Libya we should all just let it happen and do nothing about it.

It may not have occurred to you that maybe this attitude is the reason why these petty thieves are getting bolder and bolder, because they know they can get away with it. And then complain on ThaiVisa that Pattaya is a crime infested place. Jeeezz.

Soft hands make for stinking wounds.

cheers

onzestan

That's the 2nd time I read the same remark from libya 115 :

So according to you Libya we should all just let it happen and do nothing about it.

It may not have occurred to you that maybe this attitude is the reason why these petty thieves are getting bolder and bolder, because they know they can get away with it. And then complain on ThaiVisa that Pattaya is a crime infested place. Jeeezz.

Soft hands make for stinking wounds.

cheers

onzestan

With all due respect 'onzestan'; what do you want me to do about the exponential rate of crime in Pattaya? I live 50 yards from Soi Buakhaew and witness this kind of stuff on a daily basis. Pattaya is always changing, but during the last 18 months things have spiralled out of control. There is a large amount of crime that is not reported or covered up, I am unable to report such matters on a forum such as this, because I have no official source.

I shall leave Pattaya later this year and resettle in the North East of Thailand. The main reason being the increase in crime in Pattaya. I suspect that more will follow {me}.

With all due respect 'onzestan'; what do you want me to do about the exponential rate of crime in Pattaya? I live 50 yards from Soi Buakhaew and witness this kind of stuff on a daily basis. Pattaya is always changing, but during the last 18 months things have spiralled out of control. There is a large amount of crime that is not reported or covered up, I am unable to report such matters on a forum such as this, because I have no official source.

I shall leave Pattaya later this year and resettle in the North East of Thailand. The main reason being the increase in crime in Pattaya. I suspect that more will follow {me}.

With same respect offered, I'm not expecting only you to do something about the crime rate in Patters.

You're doing a good thing reporting the facts, it's just that your own personal viewpoint is not mine.

I do not believe in doing nothing when one is confronted with petty thieves. These are cowards as proven by their behavior running away, and probably they don't expect their victims to react.

I agree that a little old lady being robbed has no means of self-defence, and should therefore not try to do anything, but come on a sturdy young guy should not react?

I'm sorry that Patters has become to dangerous for you.

Anyway that's just my point of view probably because in my youth one had to stand-up for oneself in the neighbourhood where I was born and raised but that's beside the point.

Good luck

Onzestan

I guess following this logic, there will be more thefts if it becomes easier and easier.

Yes ... I'm sure the crims would love to read these sorts of comments ... There again

the probably cannot read Thai far less English !

Naka.