Pattaya Taxi Meters

LKIBA

I have asked THREE TIMES and all refused to go on the meter. These were parked outside The Avenue.

One time I wanted to go up sukhumvit to Soi 17 opposite Cholchan Hotel. They insisted on 300 Baht for the journey. Asked another Meter Taxi who pulled up and he was the same. There was normal "Baht Bus " parked their and they were acting as the "Queue managers and price fixers". When I pointed to the meter Taxi sign, the second driver said he was renting the taxi at 1,000 Baht and could not affourd to go on the meter for only 150 baht journey(??).

I crossed Second Road, caught a blue baht bus to Naklua which cost 20 Baht, then a white Baht Bus for 10 Baht and I was where I wanted in 30 minutes!! (and saved 270 Baht)

However, I friend rings the contact number and gets the meter price plus a small callout charge from his home other side of Sukhumvit.

Looks like in town, they want to rip-off Tourists ONLY. Seen them driving along with passengers with the "For Rent" sign illuminated, so obviously the meter was OFF!

OK don’t laugh.

I was talking to a Bangkok taxi driver the other week who was furious at taxis that refused to turn on their meter. He said it gave the honest taxi drivers a bad name. He had just seen me refuse a taxi that tried it on me.

He said that if I ever had that happen again I should call the police and report the taxi. The taxi driver would be fined 10,000 Baht. He was serious about it as well.

I personally don’t know of anyone who has reported taxis for refusing to start their meter and to be honest I couldn’t be bothered to report one.

Does anyone know if this is just a Bangkok law or even if it exists and secondly would it also apply to Pattaya taxis.

I think I know the answer. :o

No, doesn't apply to Pattaya. Reports are the "taxi meters" are owned by the baht bus mafia company. It is a total monopoly here.

As good a time as any to suggest people in their masses do the following: when you wish to ride a taxi, approach or stop a taxi, ask them to use the meter, and when they don't, walk away and BOYCOTT this mafia (while letting them know why).

Edited by Jingthing

No, doesn't apply to Pattaya. Reports are the "taxi meters" are owned by the baht bus mafia company. It is a total monopoly here.

As good a time as any to suggest people in their masses do the following: when you wish to ride a taxi, approach or stop a taxi, ask them to use the meter, and when they don't, walk away and BOYCOTT this mafia (while letting them know why).

Aren't we forgetting to open the door before making the inquiry and slamming it shut before walking away?

I posted on this topic a few weeks ago,(there is thread on this a few pages away).

Anyway i was waiting on the main road at jomtien one night for a baht bus,when a taxi came towards me flashing his lights.

To cut a long story short he wanted 250 baht to go to day night area,when i said no i dont want,he said "ok 200"

i said no i dont want a taxi,i will wait for a baht bus and i started to walk away.

The cab driver then reversed towards me"ok ok how much you pay"? he asked.

I got into a baht bus,10 baht.

Actually i needed to change hotels and i got a baht bus a few days later to put my luggage in,and by myself from jomtien to day night for 150 baht,so baht buses are cheaper to hire than pattaya taxis.

I think they are all the blue yellow color?

The pink ones you see are i think the bkk cabs.

Aren't we forgetting to open the door before making the inquiry and slamming it shut before walking away?

I did that once in Bangkok back in my younger, definitely not wiser days, and had the driver get out and attack me. Starting confrontations is stupid in my opinion--the risk is high and the reward is negligible.

I hear that some hotels are now using the Pattaya taxi meters for airport runs 850 baht not including motorway or 1200 inclusive.

I have approached 2 taxi meter cabs parked up within the last 7 days and neither were prepared to make a local journey using the meter. I was quoted fixed prices of 250 baht from Naklua to Jomtien and 150 baht from Central road to Jomtien.

I hear that some hotels are now using the Pattaya taxi meters for airport runs 850 baht not including motorway or 1200 inclusive. I have approached 2 taxi meter cabs parked up within the last 7 days and neither were prepared to make a local journey using the meter. I was quoted fixed prices of 250 baht from Naklua to Jomtien and 150 baht from Central road to Jomtien.

The 850 baht to Bangkok type offers are from BANGKOK registered taxis that have to make the return trip anyway, with or without a paying passenger.. that's why it's so cheap. The taxi driver receives just 500/600 baht from that. (Which is still better than just moving sea breeze air back to BKK.. :o )

I doubt Pattaya registered meter taxis will take you to Bangkok for 850 baht. (Though they might just drive you to a point where a BKK registered car departs, and pocket the 250/350 baht finder's fee.)

However, I friend rings the contact number and gets the meter price plus a small callout charge from his home other side of Sukhumvit.

Would you kindly put up this number as the previously thought of contact number that they have on their cars is never answered when I or the missus call.

I would like to try one from my house east of Suk into town and see what they do.

has anyone tried the pattaya taxi meter cars yet and if so what are the prices like compared to bkk meters ??

mm so no one has confirmed yet that they have seen a pattaya taxi meter actually use there meter yet ???? amazing why isnt there a hot line to complain there is with the baht buses and if there is a number of complaints they can lose their licence but ive never heard of a baht bus losing his licence bcos of the number of complaints ??? has anyone heard of this ??

ok about 7 years ago when I first oved to Bangkok I did not know where to get the taxie arou siliom. Non would turn the meter on, all wanted 300 THB for a 100 THB trip some even wanted 400 THB. had one get out and try to fight me when I told him to go F him self. I had a tahi friend cal the polcie while I was in the taxie once, made the taxie wait, the taxi driver wanted to take off with me in once the polce was callled, polcie came and did nohting, police saw 4 taxie refuse to trun the meter and just laughed. I know now where to get the taxies around silim and have not had any troulbe for since my first few weeks in Bangkok, but when it rains and it is a pay day then they do not want to go if your lucky to find one. I just walk across Rama 4 and cach one thier never an issue at all, never have to tell them to hit the meter. Pattaya is as bad as Malaysai, I do not care if ou are in Penang or KL they are chargeing like 10 times the meter price. in KL they might turn the meter on.. Honnestly I do not know what makes most so honnest in Bangkok, the polce does nohting if you call them. I stay in Pattaya ofen ad the worst thing is the truck taxie,, I saw one charge 200 from Mid Jomtien to the that new shoping area. We never heard the new mayor saying lets stop the taxies from cheating did we? I guess we will never hear that

• 1 year later...
just a quick addition,

if I do not start my meter here in North Wiltshire, uk, then the passenger does not have to pay at the end!

This is fixed in conditions of licence.

However, in thailand?????????

I don't know about Thailand but if you tried that in one of those FAKE Pattaya Taxi NO meters you would seriously risk a violent attack. If you want to complain, call the baht bus collective. It is the same company that owns the baht buses AND the fake taxis. That was approved by city hall. The situation is basically hopeless.

I was sitting in one of my favourite bars on the Pattaya Beach Road (name of bar withheld for obvious reasons) and I saw two Korean female tourists approach a yellow 'taxi meter' regarding the cost of hire to Pattaya Nua bus station.

They were quoted 150 baht.

I thought that this was quite good because these days I have a real problem even chartering a Songthaew for less than 150 baht (no air con & insane driver when chartered).

Maybe the 'meter taxi' is not so bad?

I was sitting in one of my favourite bars on the Pattaya Beach Road (name of bar withheld for obvious reasons) and I saw two Korean female tourists approach a yellow 'taxi meter' regarding the cost of hire to Pattaya Nua bus station.

They were quoted 150 baht.

I thought that this was quite good because these days I have a real problem even chartering a Songthaew for less than 150 baht (no air con & insane driver when chartered).

Maybe the 'meter taxi' is not so bad?

Especially if the two korean female tourists are still in it!! :)

When we were in pattaya we used the meter ones quite regulary from the avenue back to our hotel the royal cliff they dident use the meter but charged us 100 bhts which is what the baht buses charged us anyway, not knocking the baht buses but at least the meter ones are a bit more comfy and you are not sitting in all the exaust fumes when in the queing traffic.

i have used them a couple of times (when it was raining heavy) Its true both times they didnt use the meter and it cost me 50 baht more than if Id hired a Songthaew exclusively (wanted a door to door service) Didnt think it was too bad more comfortable and drier!!

I tried to get one from outside The Avenue to home Soi 17 he wanted 250 baht, I said put the meter on and was told no way so got out and got a baht bus for 150 baht. I phoned the Pattaya helpline to complain and was told the meter taxis were mainly for tourists and only had to use their meters on beach and 2nd roads everywhere else was negotiable.

OK don’t laugh.

I was talking to a Bangkok taxi driver the other week who was furious at taxis that refused to turn on their meter. He said it gave the honest taxi drivers a bad name. He had just seen me refuse a taxi that tried it on me.

He said that if I ever had that happen again I should call the police and report the taxi. The taxi driver would be fined 10,000 Baht. He was serious about it as well.

I personally don’t know of anyone who has reported taxis for refusing to start their meter and to be honest I couldn’t be bothered to report one.

Does anyone know if this is just a Bangkok law or even if it exists and secondly would it also apply to Pattaya taxis.

I think I know the answer. :D

I am told by a Thai friend that if the taxi driver either:

1. Refuses to turn on the meter

or

2. Refuses to take you where you want to go

If there is a policeman close and you are with a Thai, get the Thai ask the policeman to intervene because both actions are illegal, and not just in Bangkok. They will probably just ignore a foreigner since foreigners have no 'na' or 'barami' in Thaland. But apparently, if the red light is on, the taxi driver cannot refuse to take you where you need to go without good reason, and they must use the meter.

Worth trying, perhaps if more people asked the police to intervene, the scams would be reduced, though of course many people wonlt be bothered or won't have the time or determination for a confrontation. personally I would not use the taxi after calling the police, especially if alone.

One strategy that has proved successful for me if the driver doesn't want to take you where you want to go (especially if the driver has stopped but should not have done), is to leave the taxi but leave the passenger side rear door fully open. That means they have to get out and close it. if police are nearby they may well be nicked for illegally stopping. They don't like it much, so exit the scene quite quickly and be prepared for some shouting. Sweet doing it though. especially if there is a lot of traffic. Sometimes it is nice to be entertained at the expense of Thais rather than the other way around. :)

Edited by KevinBloodyWilson