List Of Favourite Restaurants In Phuket

donna

Actually, I have tried it, and really wasn't that impressed. Very questionable standard of hygiene (not unusual I know, but more so). I actually prefer Laemhin Seafood (next to the pier where you take the longtail) to the floating versions, and Thalaytong is much better than Laemhin.

Actually, I have tried it, and really wasn't that impressed. Very questionable standard of hygiene (not unusual I know, but more so). I actually prefer Laemhin Seafood (next to the pier where you take the longtail) to the floating versions, and Thalaytong is much better than Laemhin.

Will try them next time then. Was just conveying what every thai has said. Wouldn't be surprised if they were just conditioned to like it to be part of the cool circle

Will try them next time then. Was just conveying what every thai has said. Wouldn't be surprised if they were just conditioned to like it to be part of the cool circle

To be honest, there's a novelty factor in taking the longtail out to the restaurant, and of course it's particularly quiet when you get there (bit like being on holiday, but you're not). Seriously, the food isn't great, and less choice and quality than Laem Hin seafood which is next to the pier. Thalaytong seems to go an extra yard over that, with a more relaxed atmosphere than Laem Hin (and better views).

Talking about food, although I'm sure that this place has been mentioned before in this thread (though I can't be bothered to find it). Je T'aime, the Vietnamese restaurant in what is the bus station square in Phuket Town. An oasis of good food in what is quite pleasant surroundings, attentive service etc. The menu is quite extensive, split probably around 50/50 Vietnamese and Thai. Both are good.

We were back there for lunch today (Sunday 12th June), and took a few photos. First the outside (so you can recognise it)......

post-62520-0-09040100-1307872514_thumb.j

The decor is quite comfortable and attractive......

post-62520-0-30608700-1307872568_thumb.j

post-62520-0-42013100-1307872631_thumb.j

post-62520-0-11489200-1307872660_thumb.j

There's an inside area for smokers to take a break also.......

post-62520-0-04688600-1307872775_thumb.j

But the food is what makes the place. First was a Thai fried rice, which already had a chicken green curry added to it......

post-62520-0-29737100-1307872860_thumb.j

A spicy mushroom 'laab'.....

post-62520-0-67841500-1307872915_thumb.j

A spicy prawn salad.......

post-62520-0-27616500-1307872966_thumb.j

A really good 'Saigon' squid (stuffed with pork, vegetables and herbs).....

post-62520-0-79570600-1307873024_thumb.j

A Vietnamese pancake (basically a crepe with spiced vegetables and shrimps.......great)

post-62520-0-79131900-1307873103_thumb.j

and finally my personal favourite, a breaded pork steak with a thick lemon sauce on the side, on a bed of crispy fried seaweed.

post-62520-0-39813200-1307873183_thumb.j

Prices are really very reasonable. All of the food mentioned here, plus a couple of beers and a couple of glasses of excellent house wine (not your normal Mont Clair), I think came to around 1200 baht. For the surroundings, service, quality of food etc, pretty hard to beat.

To be honest, there's a novelty factor in taking the longtail out to the restaurant, and of course it's particularly quiet when you get there (bit like being on holiday, but you're not). Seriously, the food isn't great, and less choice and quality than Laem Hin seafood which is next to the pier. Thalaytong seems to go an extra yard over that, with a more relaxed atmosphere than Laem Hin (and better views).

How does it compare to bypass seafood and the one outside phuket town near the east cost whcih i have forgotten the name. it has a far sea view and now a view of governement housing buildings. something in the name is about an animal?

Sorry, don't understand your comments. As a rule of thumb, the closer to the sea of a restaurant, the better the seafood. There is very little fishing that takes place off the west coast (Kata/Karon/Patong etc etc). Fisherman are typically operating out of the east coast, down as far as Rawai and area. Fish/seafood farming is of course prevalent, and makes 'pick your own meal' either from a tank or a pen the norm.

Rarely (very) would I go to the west coast, other than to share a meal/drinks with friends. Thais are typically social people, particularly when it comes to eating. So, why do you not see any Thais (or at least very few) eating in Kata/Karon/Patong etc etc? Bottom line is both quality and cost. The areas around Phuket Town have much more selection, higher quality, and good pricing. Only at the very highest level (and I'll use Villa Royal at Kata Noi as an example), does the quality of the food justify the prices.

i was naming two very large and popular sea food places that i like in phuket town, wondering how they compare to the restaurant you are talking about

Sorry, without knowing their actual names/locations, I really couldn't comment. However, I have been to most of the acknowledged 'better' seafood restaurants on the east coast, and my comments are based on this. Phuket Town (city) has many fine dining places, and each month we seem to discover another 'gem'.

Pagallim, thanks for those 2 suggestion. I am going to try the seafood restaurant today and viet tomorrow.

Hopefully it is as good as Saigon in rawai

I second the Vietnamese place, stumbled upon that about three years ago while waiting for a friend coming in on the bus.

Super food.

Pagallim, thanks for those 2 suggestion. I am going to try the seafood restaurant today and viet tomorrow.

Hopefully it is as good as Saigon in rawai

Only went to Saigon once, very disappointed. Not a particularly extensive menu, and almost what could be termed Vietnamese snack food. I suspect that there's little actual cooking taking place there, just reheated food. It was after trying Saigon that we went to Je T'aime for the first time. No comparison.

Seafood was amazing. Im done with laemhin for good.

Saigon is pretty good if you know what to order. She also uses premium aussie beef from villa for everything unlike most restaurant who use cheap makro beef or the worse possible cut of thai-french.

The Option to try 3-4 different things is very nice and everything is always fresh when i go. The rolls are amazing.

Best Cheesecake in Phuket

Just accidentally stumbled upon an unadvertised bakery. I am a Cheesecake lover and found that this, undoubtedly, is the best I have tasted in Thailand. It tastes just like North American NY Cheesecake, and is excellent. I learned that they have been in business only for about 2 months. They also make other cakes which I tasted e.g. Black Forest.

Here are the contact details:

Eternity Bakery 082-288-2056

Very close to the JJ Market and they deliver.

tried a pizza place in karon last night, name is "pizza 2000" or so... its on patak road. very tasty pizza and for 199 Baht a good deal.(saw on the menu that they having all pizza for 150 baht on tuesdays! also doing pasta, schnitzel...)

and NO, im not the owner of this restaurant!! (just in case some people starting again..)

tried a pizza place in karon last night, name is "pizza 2000"

I wonder if they have anything to do with the restaurant of the same name located in Chalong; on the road that goes to The Lighthouse.

no idea... just give it a try, pizza was really good!was eating there yesterday again, they had like a "pizza day", all pizza 150 baht only, great!

For those of you who enjoy Indian food you really need to give The Curry Shack at Roxanne Bar Rawai a visit.I have eaten there four times now and the food has been consistently good.The best I have tasted here. They are keeping the menu small for the low season. Chicken Korma ,Chicken Madras and Chicken Vindaloo. They also do homemade burgers Chicken and beef. Everything is 100 baht that's very good value as I know how much Indian ingredients cost here and the time involved in making a good curry. They also do a larger menu for frozen curries which includes Jalfrezi , Tikka Masala ,Butter Chicken ,Phal ,Poppadoms ect. I just love a good curry

For those of you who enjoy Indian food you really need to give The Curry Shack at Roxanne Bar Rawai a visit.I have eaten there four times now and the food has been consistently good.The best I have tasted here. They are keeping the menu small for the low season. Chicken Korma ,Chicken Madras and Chicken Vindaloo. They also do homemade burgers Chicken and beef. Everything is 100 baht that's very good value as I know how much Indian ingredients cost here and the time involved in making a good curry. They also do a larger menu for frozen curries which includes Jalfrezi , Tikka Masala ,Butter Chicken ,Phal ,Poppadoms ect. I just love a good curry

Where's Roxanne Bar in Rawai ?

Go along the beach road in Rawai.When you get the junction at the end left takes you the Cape.

Take the Nai Harn right(or nearly straight on)turn.Go up the hill about 1 km and you will come to a row of bars on your right.Roxanne is the last bar as you start going down the hill.You will see a board outside with the The Curry Shack on it

Go along the beach road in Rawai.When you get the junction at the end left takes you the Cape.

Take the Nai Harn right(or nearly straight on)turn.Go up the hill about 1 km and you will come to a row of bars on your right.Roxanne is the last bar as you start going down the hill.You will see a board outside with the The Curry Shack on it

Thanks, I have never been to any bars in that area except for Cheers further on then...

After much research on the subject of Best Cheeseburger...???

The winner is....

SIZZLER...409bht with ulimited soup salad and cokes....

Burger was big cooked on BBQ nice grilled butter soaked bun fresh lettace tomato was very nice...

Real beef NOT a mix of mince pork beef and seasonings.....

the view from the window seats is nice too not to mention plenty of pretty girls there as well....give it a try

worst burger in my opinion was a tie..

Burger joint at Cheers bar in Rawai, tasted like seasoned something with not much meat involved..gross I tossed it

and

The sit outside steak place at Villa Market...

Looked like the burger was deep fried and they give you 7 french fries,,yum, :bah:

enjoy

That's samkong steak

Everything is pretty much impossible to beat in terms of yuckiness there.. and mosquitos.

Sad cause i used to enjoy their other restaurant when i wanted some cheap food.

Grant yourself lucky. Last time i was there my food had 4 and a half french fries and a slice of green tomato

• 2 weeks later...

Being quite a regular at Laemhin seafood i read this and was intrigued to try out Thalaytong. So i set out to give it a go...

Although I enjoyed the food I couldnt think of one thing that was better than Laem Hin. The menu must be at least half the size and probably half as many customers and half the atmosphere.....food quality was on a par. Next time I'll be back at Laem Hin although i'm still glad i checked it out.

Some of my favorite in Patong:

• A other place that your Thai companion will enjoy very much is the MK restaurant at Jungceylon, good food, medium price. I forgot to mention that the roasted slice duck is very very good at MK.
    This is a Thai style suki restaurant.

Just to be honest, MK is Chinese not Thai food. :) Anyway, I love it, and I really do believe that the Gold MK is much better, especially for crispy pork, and roasted sliced duck! It also have salmon, oysters and other seafood which is not available in the standard MK at Central.

All mk's taste different.

My prefered is at Tesco. The drink and sauce is a lot better at that one. The chicken also.

Home pro village has crappy duck, so does central.

honorable mention to the one at Big C for the hourly dance from the staff.

Edited by seriouseats

Two Chefs Saturday Brunch 400tbh all you can eat..

the food was worth the money .. given that the only dessert cost 180tbh and now you could eat as many as you wanted!

add 200tbh drink as mutch you want to! :whistling:

Red Onion restaurant in Karon for reasonbly priced good food.

It is still packed every night which says a lot.

Red Onion is by far the best restaurant in Karon. Have been going there regularly for past seven years and it is always packed, especially late evening. Opens at 4pm, gets busy from 6pm. They have a curious habit of closing on one day every month, look for notice on pillar. Royal Taandori across from Little Mermaid is also a favourite of mine.