List Of Favourite Restaurants In Phuket

donna

suay is fine but the food is really weak for a supposedly trendy high quality restaurant. The dishes are good but not good enough to be sold at a restaurant id say. Still a lot better than most places in phuket since phuket and quality dont go hand in hand.. only money goes with phuket.

Nice place though.

what have you eaten at SUAY to find the food "really weak"? i'm a big fan of the place-had an ace meal and enjoyable evening each time i've been there. difference of opinions i suppose, but would be curious to know why you think the food isn't good enough to be sold in a restaurant?

Because im a gourmet and part of my fun in life is eating and producing food that is amazing. The food at suay is 25baht food with decorations.

this isnt the west where even if you pay 10$ the cook will do an amazing job most of the time so im not criticizing them too hard, thais don't really care about their food as long as its spicy and they can taste the thai ingredients.

Edited by LivinginKata
Flame removed

thanks for the explanation...just wondered is all. i know the owner/chef of SUAY as we used to work for the same company. you are the first person i have come across that has actually criticized the place. no harm done, to each their own :)

thanks for the explanation...just wondered is all. i know the owner/chef of SUAY as we used to work for the same company. you are the first person i have come across that has actually criticized the place. no harm done, to each their own :)

There's 4 easy rice meal place next to my place. 3 of them are completely horrible and 1 is good. People still eat the horrible ones because t hey save a few meters of walking and they never complain. Thais do not know much about food or complaining. If eating at suay makes them look cool, they could be given a soi dog's poop on a platter and be happy with it.

Luckily those veryt very few thais that understand food and service often have some of the best gem restaurants in the whole world and are very affordable. Most of these places are seafood and we have a few of them in phuket.

Edited by thaiIand

Just demolished an all you can eat buffet on chao faa east road. just before lumpoons going towards chalong. absolutely sensational. and it was 129 baht per head...the joint is really starting to heave now. its only been open a couple of weeks. i would suggest getting in early

Thais do not know much about food or complaining.

Whats horrible is this grand generalization.

Depending on the region, there are many different types of Thai food, on top of that, I have seen Thais send food away that they didn't find tasty.

"I'm a gourmet", you should open a restaurant called food legend in my own mind.................

Hadn't been to Thalaytong for a few weeks, so long overdue a visit today. What was going to be a fairly quiet Sunday lunch turned into a small party of 11 of us. Good as always, and in pleasant surroundings with reasonable prices. Had meant to take more photos, but it was too social an occasion, with priority being given to conversation and consumption of alcohol (they even had plenty of Singha, albeit only large bottles).

Anyway, a few shots of an excellent grilled squid, a spicy prawn salad with pickled garlic, a raw prawn dish that the wife loves, and a seaweed flan (seaweed base with minced prawn on top - great).

post-62520-0-19506600-1322388456_thumb.j

post-62520-0-70882600-1322388479_thumb.j

post-62520-0-99217000-1322388510_thumb.j

post-62520-0-30870400-1322388537_thumb.j

Without competition the restaurants on the same soi as Tiger Muay Thai has the best food on the island, almost thai prices and big plates, Just feel ripped off when eating elsewhere like Patong or Kata. There is one good place to eat in Patong, Restaurant nr 5 on the food court behind Tiger. Don't forget Phattys and Anchor Inn in Chalong!!!

Anchor inn is terrible

good post I agree....

Thais do not know much about food or complaining.

Whats horrible is this grand generalization.

Depending on the region, there are many different types of Thai food, on top of that, I have seen Thais send food away that they didn't find tasty.

"I'm a gourmet", you should open a restaurant called food legend in my own mind.................

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Was looking for a new place to eat last night. Ended up in Suay Restaurant in Phuket Town after finding it high up the list of good restaurants in Phuket on Trip Advisor.

Good mixture of Thai and farang eating there. Nice setting, great thai style fusion food, very well priced (5 dishes, 2 drinks - 520 baht) and polite staff...Definately worth a visit if you are in the area.

Edit, add address:

• [*]50/2 Takuapa Road | Talad Nuea, Amphoe Muang, Phuket 83000, Thailand[*]081-747 2424 |
Edited by LivinginKata
Facebook link removed as per forum rules

• 2 weeks later...

suay is fine but the food is really weak for a supposedly trendy high quality restaurant. The dishes are good but not good enough to be sold at a restaurant id say. Still a lot better than most places in phuket since phuket and quality dont go hand in hand.. only money goes with phuket.

Nice place though.

what have you eaten at SUAY to find the food "really weak"? i'm a big fan of the place-had an ace meal and enjoyable evening each time i've been there. difference of opinions i suppose, but would be curious to know why you think the food isn't good enough to be sold in a restaurant?

I have eaten there and I am going to go back again and again. Here is my review of my meal there:

What a lovely place! It has an “open” area in the middle with walls around it and the doors open at each end, giving it an “open” sense of space and being. On the outside were many tables all around the main dining area. The light green paint with a deep brown trim was more than perfect and so lovely as well. Well, I just ordered a loganberry drink, telling them that I was waiting for my other people. Loganberry is a bit of a heavy drink with a strong taste that, if diluted, becomes much easier to drink. It was almost like syrup and there were about 10 loganberries floating on the top of the ice as well. It is a purple/brown color. The taste is rather unique. I try to eat something new every day here in Thailand and this was “new” to me. It was a great complement to my meal. Well, I got tired of waiting for my “guests” and then I ordered the broiled duck in a red curry sauce with lichee nuts. When the dish came, I was ecstatic with the presentation alone. Usually, when one has a red curry sauce, it is muddy looking and like a gravy in some ways. This was, however, clear and red as a rose! I don’t know how they did it but it was so spectacular looking with the sauce, the lychee nuts, the pineapple, small cherry tomatoes and what looked like capers that were more than twice the usual size. All of it was so tasty! The duck was succulent and so fresh and the sauce was perfect for it. Not overly spicy but certainly spicy enough to bring out the contrasts in flavors, textures and the “feel” in the mouth that makes one want more and more. Well, I ate it, rotating the tomatoes, pineapple, capers and duck so that I could taste everything clearly and fully. What a joy it was to my palate! This was, to me, the BEST dish that I have eaten here in the past 4 months here! No bones about it (yep, there were no bones in the duck at all), it was great. I also want to comment that the skin on the duck was thin and not a lick of fat or excess. I had a side of jasmine rice with it and used the rice like any normal Thai person: gathering rice on my large spoon and also the duck or whatever (maybe a bit of extra sauce as well) with it and then eating it from my spoon. Thais do not eat with forks at all! Forks are used only to manipulate the food into the spoon and to cut it as well, if necessary.

Next, I had an Aussie “Kaiser Schmarrn.” This is an egg-batter pancake, much thicker than a blintz with a lovely sweet cream sauce (I think that there was some brandy in it as well), sugar, and raisins soaked in rum inside of the folds of the “Schmarrn.” The taste reminded me of a great hot toddy I had once that was so perfect and so flavorful as it was not overly cast by the rum. Well, this succulent, yet somewhat heavy, dessert was more than fabulous. I ate all of it. I will definitely have this again.

Following that, I also decided on crepes Suzette. The crepes were thin, delicate and perfectly cooked. On the outside there were some grapefruit slices (3 of them) and it was folded such that it was like 4 crepes in one. Also, on the outside were orange rinds dyed a deep red. The contrasting colors were remarkable. Also, there was a nice mango ice cream with it that was perfect! Not too sweet and not too tart. Everything complemented the others and it was a lovely sight to behold. Now, when I took that first bite, I was so reminded of the crepes I had in France as the Grand Marnier was well distributed and not overdone as I have had it in some other places in the States. Each bite was a delicacy of its own! A bit or not a bit of red orange peeling, some of the lovely sauce and a bit of ice cream. Each flavor played off of the other on my palate and made my mouth dance its own little private jig while eating it. Again, it was not only the food, but the presentation, which added to its mystery as well as each dish’s own mysteries to delve into until it was all figured out by the end of each dessert. I know I will go back there. Oh, yes, the price. I bet you may think that this was about a $40-50 dinner. Actually, to me, it was. However, the duck was only 170 bht and the two deserts were 160 baht, making my bill an astronomical 330 bht ($10.33). This was a dinner that, in the States, would have cost at least $50 if not $100! The entire meal was well prepared, served without any hurry and with the nicest people. Even the chef came out to talk with me to ask me about the food. I could not but tell him that this was the BEST food I have had in all of my time in Thailand so far.

Well, I hope to go back again as there are 2 desserts I have yet to try as well as some other dish or two that may suit my fance when I get there. In the meantime, I will be going through the menu to see what I can come up with that will be interesting, lively and beautiful, which is what “suay” means in Thai.

Anyse

Where does one get the "you get what you pay for" for this meal? I just think that "thailand" is way off on this one. I would like to know more about the meal!

Edited by Anyse

Without competition the restaurants on the same soi as Tiger Muay Thai has the best food on the island, almost thai prices and big plates, Just feel ripped off when eating elsewhere like Patong or Kata. There is one good place to eat in Patong, Restaurant nr 5 on the food court behind Tiger. Don't forget Phattys and Anchor Inn in Chalong!!!

It's Fatty's just south of Chalong Gym and the food is great and portions big.

• 2 weeks later...

The last couple of weeks we've twice had late afternoon/early evening meals at Kan Eang 2 at Chalong Bay. For those who haven't been there, it's a very good setting next to a beach with 180 degree views of Cape Panwa and Koh Lon. At this time of year particularly, it's a real pleasure to enjoy good food in the coolness of the early evening, and there's usually a slight breeze also.

The restaurant itself is more traditional than the contemporary feel of it's sister, Kan Eang@Pier, and service isn't as slick and prices slightly lower. Quality of food is good, with one of my favourites being a house speciality, Grilled Tiger Prawns with ginger and lemon grass. Yesterday I had these with some rice noodles with seafood, which was also fine. My wife was happy with her prawn curry, and some fish cakes.

Some photos of the views, the restaurant, and the food. Click on a thumbnail to enlarge it.

post-62520-0-57682200-1326677905_thumb.j

post-62520-0-42936400-1326677977_thumb.j

post-62520-0-96857000-1326678026_thumb.j

post-62520-0-30998200-1326678082_thumb.j

post-62520-0-71754000-1326678125_thumb.j

post-62520-0-80473900-1326678201_thumb.j

post-62520-0-00002300-1326678243_thumb.j

post-62520-0-50343100-1326678279_thumb.j

post-62520-0-16635700-1326678306_thumb.j

post-62520-0-98503500-1326678339_thumb.j

post-62520-0-84965300-1326678388_thumb.j

post-62520-0-70677000-1326678422_thumb.j

post-62520-0-42582200-1326678446_thumb.j

post-62520-0-00839100-1326678485_thumb.j

post-62520-0-17040900-1326678515_thumb.j

post-62520-0-38726800-1326678546_thumb.j

post-62520-0-15863300-1326678586_thumb.j

post-62520-0-38157100-1326678614_thumb.j

Glad you guys like Kan Eang 2. For Thais its upper class Thai food in a nice setting.

We where a party of 10-12 late December. Started trying to order some Chang Export as they had a banner promoting it. Waiter came back with Chang Classic, which none of us drink. Claimed they didnt have Export. Out again, came back with Export.

Half the dishes ordered arrived before any rice. Still no rice. Reminder on rice. Still no rice. We r talking about one hour now. Most ordered dishes arrived, one of the kids found our rice below the drink tray,the typical sidetable for drinks and ice in TH. Icecold, but so was the rest of the food by now. Several dishes never arrived. Service was incredibel slow and random, most staff Burmese

Guess I am there 2-3 times a year cause invited. Nice setting, sloppy service each time

Wonder why its so hard to make excellent Thai food in a nice ambience restaurant with good staff and service, and drop the freaking plastic plates? Prices are on par with farang food, why isnt product?

Glad you guys like Kan Eang 2. For Thais its upper class Thai food in a nice setting.

We where a party of 10-12 late December. Started trying to order some Chang Export as they had a banner promoting it. Waiter came back with Chang Classic, which none of us drink. Claimed they didnt have Export. Out again, came back with Export.

Half the dishes ordered arrived before any rice. Still no rice. Reminder on rice. Still no rice. We r talking about one hour now. Most ordered dishes arrived, one of the kids found our rice below the drink tray,the typical sidetable for drinks and ice in TH. Icecold, but so was the rest of the food by now. Several dishes never arrived. Service was incredibel slow and random, most staff Burmese

Guess I am there 2-3 times a year cause invited. Nice setting, sloppy service each time

Wonder why its so hard to make excellent Thai food in a nice ambience restaurant with good staff and service, and drop the freaking plastic plates? Prices are on par with farang food, why isnt product?

Always excellent service there, with almost a waiter alone for our table.

Sadly, service isn't consistent in many places at the moment, particularly at peak times/days (probably why we like to eat out late afternoon/early evening).

A couple of weeks ago we were at another of our favourites, Thalaytong Seafood, and whilst the food was great, lack of staff led to dishes being late or not appearing at all. Think many restaurants struggle to get staff at this time of year, coupled with a lack of training for the people they do manage to employ. Not many places you'll go to and find the same staff year after year.

Always excellent service there, with almost a waiter alone for our table.

Same here. Usually go with just the missus. Always good service.

Even if the place is packed with over a hundred people, food still comes quickly and it's never cold.

Where is the best kebab on Rawai-NaiHarn? licklips.gif Cant find....

Same for me. Since Adman closed can't find any good ones. The Turkish/Polish/kebab place opposite traffic lights Viset Road-Sai Yauan Road is awful.

Same for me. Since Adman closed can't find any good ones. The Turkish/Polish/kebab place opposite traffic lights Viset Road-Sai Yauan Road is awful.

Anyone tried the kebab place on Sai Yuan?

I have not wandered around Central for a while but did so a couple of days ago as the car park was not full. Noticed two new restaraunts outside called Urban & the other, not sure of the name, advertising Thai Russian fusion food. They both looked a little expensive for me but may try out some time. Both places have indoor & outdoor (people were smoking) dining. Some years back I worked in Russia (Sakhalin Island actually) & have been interested in finding a decent Russian restaurant here.

Kata

Schwarma, Lebanese chicken kebab in roll, 120 baht, delicious. Patak west, approx 100meters north of Tessabaan, right side, small kiosk 3 sqm on the side walk

They also have one in Jungceylon Port and one in Bangla upstairs Ocean shopping mall