List Of Favourite Restaurants In Phuket

donna

abihol market ( i hope i spelled that right) is a german bakery with strange hours that is located on the sai yuan turn from the road leading to rawai. (is it viset rd--idk!) it's just before the stoplight on the right hand side, behind the new little bus stop pavilion where the motorbike taxi drivers sit in the morning and next to a phone shop. if you stood in the parking lot of this place, 7-11 would be to your left. the place has great bread, a decent-sized menu, nice cheese and a freezer case filled with deli meats, etc. the apple streudel on the menu is to die for, as is the pepperoni bread. the thais who work here don't speak much english, so be patient with them and point at the menu. i have found that whenever i've had to wait for a take away order, they put a free pastry or bread in the bag as an "apology".
Saw this recommendation and did not yet have bread for lunch, so checked Abihol. Their 'semmel' were good, better than Flinstones e.g. If only the girls behind the counter would have been smiling.

Open every day 07.00-16.00, Wednesday's closed.

are you talking about the girls at abihol market or the girls at flintstones???

flintstones lost my business more than a year ago at both locations as the girls who work there, in my opinion, are some of the biggest bitches i have ever met working in the service industry here in thailand. i could give loads and loads of examples, but i won't. it's a shame really, cause i did enjoy stopping in there to purchase deli meat, etc.

so far, i've never had a problem with the girls or the two guys at abihol market.

Just found dried pinto beans in Villamarket. They are hard to find as they are near cleaning products.

thanks for that, karenbravo! i'll get my pinto beans when i get my pledge! :)

I meant abihol.

No problem with them, they were just not friendly or smiling. I'll give it another go though, the quality of the semmel was very good, next time try some other things.

Edited by stevenl

was down and ate at the Pore, Finnish restaurant near the Chalong circel, very good meatballs there, they will close today for lowseason but they have one meter of spareribs on the plank with all accessories for 3-6 persons for 1000tbh:) going there when they opening again!

There is a funny little place called minnies on the wat chalong road. If you pass wat chalong and then the turn off to tiger muay thai....keep going straight and u reach a set of traffic lights.....just after the traffic lights on the left (going to phuket town) is minnies...they serve up a good falang menu (ive ordered most stuff there) ....the staff are really friendly....its also nice to sit at the bar and order cocktails and chat with the owner.

Sam

another good joint is happy days in chalong....im a bit biased because its my local...but they have an excellent variety of falang and thai food. Service is excellent

happy days has a good menu, i will agree with that, but tend to stay away from there as it is always full of teachers bitching about thailand, their job in thailand and/or phuket.

another good joint is happy days in chalong....im a bit biased because its my local...but they have an excellent variety of falang and thai food. Service is excellent

Very ordinary food. Pizzas second rate.

Though the Sunday Roast is excellent and good value for money, though, it's only available on Sundays (more's the pity).

Don't forget all the broke, whingeing, diving instructors mixed up with those teachers.......

Though the Sunday Roast is excellent and good value for money, though, it's only available on Sundays (more's the pity).

Don't forget all the broke, whingeing, diving instructors mixed up with those teachers.......

I agree the Sunday roast is very good which includes a tasty pumpkin soup & fresh brewed coffee.

Does anyone know if M & Ms is closed or is closing for their annual holiday as I am planning to go tomorrow night.

Edited by Valentine

I agree the Sunday roast is very good which includes a tasty pumpkin soup & fresh brewed coffee.

Does anyone know if M & Ms is closed or is closing for their annual holiday as I am planning to go tomorrow night.

valentine, m&m's has a sign up that says closed until august.

HI

You dont need to go, M&M will open late this month the sign say, ops to late, but for others

I saw Maggie yesterday, so they are back, have to imagine they'll be back in business this weekend.

Yes the sign say open Saturday

Edited by HDRIDER

Steak Rawai (on the Sai Yuan Road in Nai Harn near to where Don's Mall used to be)

Has anyone tried this place? If so, how was the menu-extensive and expensive? Just wondering if it's worth a stop since I pass it nearly every day. Thanks.

Sandwiches at Central Food Hall are OK. I have doubts they will bother enforcing "seating only for Central Food Hall customers" as there were some just lounging around or eating items from other outlets. This could be an issue for potential customers.

Steak Rawai (on the Sai Yuan Road in Nai Harn near to where Don's Mall used to be)

Has anyone tried this place? If so, how was the menu-extensive and expensive? Just wondering if it's worth a stop since I pass it nearly every day. Thanks.

We went there one night when our power went out. The place is owned by a nice Thai couple who speak pretty good English. I had the burger, Fan had the steak. Everything was cooked in a pan not a bbq, so that was disappointing. The burger was okay but was loaded with mayonnaise. The steak was pretty tough like a typical Thai steak. I don't think it was very expensive, but I don't remember the exact prices.

We went there one night when our power went out. The place is owned by a nice Thai couple who speak pretty good English. I had the burger, Fan had the steak. Everything was cooked in a pan not a bbq, so that was disappointing. The burger was okay but was loaded with mayonnaise. The steak was pretty tough like a typical Thai steak. I don't think it was very expensive, but I don't remember the exact prices.

thanks for that, mike. your review did enough for me...i'll avoid it!

Although I live in Bangkok, I like to visit Phuket and my friends there.

A friend recommended me this new Italian restaurant "Acqua" at the end of Patong, perhaps aready Surin (not sure though). If you know the "White Box", then you are almost there, it's perhaps 100 m down the road, but on the right side of the street, coming from Patong.

The decoration is very modern Italian style, every item carefully selected or specially made for Acqua, and high quality.

The owner/chef is Alessandro, a native Italian from the island of Sardegna. A very friendly and very experienced chap.

I had a seafood salad, Italian style (just lemon, olive oil, garlic and salt and some parsley) followed by a nodino di vitello. This was the first time I had a good veal chop in Thailand, soft, juicy, tender and just they way it should be.

My wife had a beef carpaccio followed by a tuna steak. The tuna was too much coocked, so we gave it back, which was not a problem at all. A few minutes later a new plate was served, this time the tuna coocked to perfection.

The wine was a Barolo from Pio Cesare, one of my favorite wines.

What I liked about the place is that no compromise to Thai taste was made, pure, 100% Italian food. The service was friendly and fast. I can only recommend this place and really hope it will be a success so I can visit it again next time I will be in Phuket.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently tried the Tex Mex place in Chalong...forgot the name, but near Land & House and next to Da Sandro Italian Restaurant.

Is this place on one of the Chao Fah roads? If so, is Chao Fah East, or, Chao Fah West. Or, is it on the road to Chalong Pier?

I checked it out. I had what was probably the worst guacamole I have ever tasted. There was maybe 2% avocado in it at best. Absolutely terrible. The salsa was not good either.

The enchilada was not too bad though, but proper chips and salsa/guacamole is needed for me to enjoy a mexican meal.

Recently tried the Tex Mex place in Chalong...forgot the name, but near Land & House and next to Da Sandro Italian Restaurant.

Is this place on one of the Chao Fah roads? If so, is Chao Fah East, or, Chao Fah West. Or, is it on the road to Chalong Pier?

I checked it out. I had what was probably the worst guacamole I have ever tasted. There was maybe 2% avocado in it at best. Absolutely terrible. The salsa was not good either.

The enchilada was not too bad though, but proper chips and salsa/guacamole is needed for me to enjoy a mexican meal.

Is that the place called Dan's or Don's restuarant ? Not long after it opened we tried some Mexican food. Think it was bean burritos, the salsa seemed Ok to me, but the burrito filling was not what I expected and was almost inedible. We left much of it on the plate, paid our bill, and left. No comment from the very young and inexperienced waiting staff. Never returned. If anyone can tell me that it's improved then I'll try again.

"Khan cooking" above MK at the HomePro village in Chalong is a good option for the big eater.

They only offer all you can eat buffet which, besides salad, fruit etc. is a "you pick the fresh meat, veggies etc. and we cook it for you" kinda thing. They have a pretty good selection of meats including. chicken, duck, pork, beef, salmon, barracuda, snowfish, squid, mussles etc.

They also have a buffet version which includes unlimited wine and beer. Not a bad option if you plan on pigging out.

After Aaron got a 99 year ban in his passport and got deported, the food has gone downhill. And the usual cook is now gone and she did everything right.

Sad.