List Of Favourite Restaurants In Phuket

donna

burnt tortilla , bang tao junction opposite tesco lotus

Not good enough as he closed after less than a year open.

Gitano's near the Heroinie monument has very good mex/thai food and its affordable and has the be one of the most orignial restaurnts on the island.( take ur kids as they have a seperate kids play room) Its on the right if ur heading to The waterfall/gibbon center about 100 meters from the circle.

Avoid the GOLD MK at Junk Ceylon. It is NOT the same as the one in Central or Lotus or near villa in Chalong and the prices for the same dishes are 50% more>>

Best thai seafod hands down is Kaen Eang one or Two and its been that way for over 25 years!!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just tried Mamtrio restaurant in Kathu today. Its a really tastefully decorated place , looks like it would be really pricey but It is in fact quite reasonable, Especially if you buy a member card for a couple of hundred bahts which entitles you to 10% off. The staff are really attentive and friendly and the food was delicious. I had Shrimps with fried sticky rice from the Vietnamese section of the menu (they also have Thai and European) followed by a chocolate mouse with orange sauce. Both were awesome and I will be returning very soon to work my way through the rest of the menu. Two thumbs up, 5 stars and hat off to this place. Loved it!

• 2 weeks later...
Papa Joe's. Their pizza is GREAT. By any standard. Located on Rat-U-Thit behind Charoen Optical, about 200 ms from Bangla towards Soinamien. Not much of a venue, but... yummy. Try the Italian sausage w/bell peppers.

Does anyone know if they closed Papa Joe's? I just wandered around the Optical place as well as asked around and just got a few puzzled looks or was told to check the next soi down. I finally gave up and had a shavarma.

Best thai seafod hands down is Kaen Eang one or Two and its been that way for over 25 years!!

Was at number 2 today (I think, @pier is number two right?) for the first time in over a year. It was just as good as always, one of the best restaurants on the island.

Was at number 2 today (I think, @pier is number two right?) for the first time in over a year. It was just as good as always, one of the best restaurants on the island.

@pier is number 1.

@pier is number 1.

Cheers for that. I've loved that one for over a decade, but always thought it was their second. I have never even been to the other one. Where is it, down toward the lighthouse? Worth going to. Anything that makes it better than @pier?

@pier is number 1.

Cheers for that. I've loved that one for over a decade, but always thought it was their second. I have never even been to the other one. Where is it, down toward the lighthouse? Worth going to. Anything that makes it better than @pier?

Two is on the end right from Chalong roundabout (to pier), and one is about the 2nd road (?? Big signboard) on right from roundabout along Chaofa East. By far number one is the best Kaen Eng.

@pier is number 1.

Two is on the end right from Chalong roundabout (to pier), and one is about the 2nd road (?? Big signboard) on right from roundabout along Chaofa East. By far number one is the best Kaen Eng.

:D Now I'm really confused. I think you may have that the wrong way round. The only one I've ever been to, is the one at the end of the road, right by the pier, and is now called Kan 'Kan Eang @ pier' and according to their site, used to be number 1.

Either way, you think the other one, the one I've never been to, is the best, which means I need to try it soon, as it must be fantastic.

'kaneang-pier DOT com'

:D Now I'm really confused. I think you may have that the wrong way round. The only one I've ever been to, is the one at the end of the road, right by the pier, and is now called Kan 'Kan Eang @ pier' and according to their site, used to be number 1.

Either way, you think the other one, the one I've never been to, is the best, which means I need to try it soon, as it must be fantastic.

Quite right, just checked and the pier one is number 1 and the other one is number 2. Have to admit that the pier one looks really smart, but the food at number 2 is better. Pier caters more for foreign tourists types and 2 caters more for the locals.

maybe mentioned already but M&M pizza in Nai Harn is one of the best pizzas i've ever eaten and i've lived in New York and San Fran and visited Rome a lot so i think i know about pizza

also, the price is very reasonable, starting at 180 baht for a pretty good size pizza, about 14" i'd guess

http://maps.google.co.th/maps?q=7.782465,98.316037&num=1&sll=13.0376,101.491373&sspn=14.855181,8.296016&ie=UTF8&ll=7.780805,98.320287&spn=0.008366,0.014452&z=17

• 3 weeks later...

GOM, even though the setting is nice Friendship Beach is not worth a visit...of course, this is my opinion. The few times I have been there (none in the last year), the service was bad & wait staff rude, the food mediocre and the menu overpriced. I've never seen live music there, so I can't comment on that. Personally, if this place was suggested to me, I'd give it a skip!

GOM, even though the setting is nice Friendship Beach is not worth a visit...of course, this is my opinion. The few times I have been there (none in the last year), the service was bad & wait staff rude, the food mediocre and the menu overpriced. I've never seen live music there, so I can't comment on that. Personally, if this place was suggested to me, I'd give it a skip!

Have to agree, especially with the service.

You can be the only customer there and still have to wait 15 minutes before any waiting staff will deign to notice you.

Have to agree, especially with the service.

You can be the only customer there and still have to wait 15 minutes before any waiting staff will deign to notice you.

Last time I was there I had to call loudly to get someone's attention just to get a menu.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new bar called The Lounge just opened opposite Tesco behind Wine Collection which sells Tetley bitter and has English/Indian food.

Great decor, excellent attentive service and good food.

Four pints of Tetley, poppadoms and a chicken vindaloo; what more could a homesick Brit wish for.

• 2 weeks later...

Amyb,

I saw your Brown Rice Restaurant on Sai Yuan is back open.

Cheers, GOM

i saw that it was open again, too...thanks for the heads up! have you been to the new "wine addict" shop just down the street from us towards tesco lotus?

Amyb,

I saw your Brown Rice Restaurant on Sai Yuan is back open.

Cheers, GOM

i saw that it was open again, too...thanks for the heads up! have you been to the new "wine addict" shop just down the street from us towards tesco lotus?

Not yet, seems to be a proliferation of small wine shops popping open, can't believe they can really make a go of it considering the bigger guys in town, Villa Market et al.

Not yet, seems to be a proliferation of small wine shops popping open, can't believe they can really make a go of it considering the bigger guys in town, Villa Market et al.

i've yet to go, either, but i will check it out...hopefully some of these small shops opening are CHEAPER than villa market. :)

The last couple of weeks, we've enjoyed leisurely Sunday lunches at Thalaytong seafood, just north of Phuket Town. Quiet spot, large and high roofed airy restaurant, good service, and particularly good seafood as 'local' prices. Doesn't get much better than this. Some photos of a few dishes, and of the view (click to enlarge/slideshow).

post-62520-0-18221600-1307754732_thumb.j

post-62520-0-49442300-1307754757_thumb.j

post-62520-0-03263900-1307754783_thumb.j

post-62520-0-48051200-1307754810_thumb.j

post-62520-0-93600900-1307754838_thumb.j

post-62520-0-61971900-1307754864_thumb.j

post-62520-0-64615100-1307754931_thumb.j

Nice pics, whats the dish that looks like a pie? can you be more specific in location?

OK, from the top, their (Thalaytong Seafood fried rice), followed by a squid salad. Next is one of my personal favourites, spicy prawn and pickled garlic salad, then what I think you're terming as a 'pie' which in fact is seaweed with minced prawns on top (excellent). A pot dish of noodles and prawns, and then another of my favourites, deep fried sea bass with a sweet chilli sauce. With a few drinks, the whole lot came to around 1000 baht.

For directions. I know you're coming from Rawai, so go straight out the Bypass Road until the Toyota Pearl 'T' junction, then turn right (so you're heading into Phuket Town). Continue for a couple of miles until you pass a Shell gas station on the left, and it's about another 100 metres further on (again the left), a small soi with a Thalaytong signpost there. If you start climbing the hill then you've gone past the turn off. The small soi goes through fields for a few hundred metres, and then branches off to the right as a track. Again a couple of hundred metres and you're there. Nice views of the islands, plus an attractive Wat close by on a hillside.

Nice pics, whats the dish that looks like a pie? can you be more specific in location?

OK, from the top, their (Thalaytong Seafood fried rice), followed by a squid salad. Next is one of my personal favourites, spicy prawn and pickled garlic salad, then what I think you're terming as a 'pie' which in fact is seaweed with minced prawns on top (excellent). A pot dish of noodles and prawns, and then another of my favourites, deep fried sea bass with a sweet chilli sauce. With a few drinks, the whole lot came to around 1000 baht.

For directions. I know you're coming from Rawai, so go straight out the Bypass Road until the Toyota Pearl 'T' junction, then turn right (so you're heading into Phuket Town). Continue for a couple of miles until you pass a Shell gas station on the left, and it's about another 100 metres further on (again the left), a small soi with a Thalaytong signpost there. If you start climbing the hill then you've gone past the turn off. The small soi goes through fields for a few hundred metres, and then branches off to the right as a track. Again a couple of hundred metres and you're there. Nice views of the islands, plus an attractive Wat close by on a hillside.

Any local will tell you that if you drive a few more meters and goto the something thip place on a raft in the sea, the seafood is a lot better. You just gotta make sure you go on the left one which is the most popular among informed thais. Even hiso's often dare to take the cheap longtail boat to that place.

Try it

Archived