Motorcycle Side Car .

Thaifan2

Another one who will block the road. I think these vehicles are besides the food stall vendors on wheels the most dangerous vehicles on Pattaya's roads.

Wide, slow, bad illuminated....well done BiB if you fine the drivers.

Another one who will block the road. I think these vehicles are besides the food stall vendors on wheels the most dangerous vehicles on Pattaya's roads.

Its just for occasional use to carry loads ,and i will have another bigger bike for every day use .

Its just for occasional use to carry loads ,and i will have another bigger bike for every day use .

Nothing personal, but I only have bad experiences with those vehicles. If you drive through town you will find many small vendors who will be please to build you this.

• 1 month later...

I managed to get one .The workshop who do them are on Pattaya Thai on the corner of Soi 7 a little bit up and across from the CAT offices .

Got a nice one in chrome ,19,000 baht or they have a painted metal one for 8,000 baht .

sidecar004.jpg

Edited by Thaifan2

I managed to get one .The workshop who do them are on Pattaya Thai on the corner of Soi 7 a little bit up and across from the CAT offices .

Got a nice one in chrome ,19,000 baht or they have a painted metal one for 8,000 baht .

sidecar004.jpg

That was exactly the shop I was thinking of when reading this.

How does it handle when turning ?

And have you been stopped by the Police ?

Q. How does it handle when turning

A. like a sidecar .I take Left hand turns very slowly as i am still getting used to it .May put a bag of sand in the sidecar to help it stay down as its very light .

Q. Stopped by the police ?

A. Not so far ,and i have seen quite a few Westeners with sidecar outfits in Pattaya .

PS, as i also have a Honda Phantom ,i will only be using the sidecar outfit now and again .

Edited by Thaifan2

Nice one.

It took you almost 2 months to get it as I see the thread is an old one.

Nobody here wanted you to have one but you got yourself one anyways.

Nice to carry things in...like firewood...or groceries.

• Like 1

They have to be made to order and are in fact illegal! The Thais get away with driving them but farangs tend to get stopped by the bib and fined.

Is this a new law? My father who also lives in Pattaya has couple of these.. I know for a fact that the police have never stopped him and he has had it for around 7+ years now. Ive been on it with him once, We stopped at 2nd road/Pattaya Tai traffic lights. The law (in those days, dont know if its the same now) was that if you're driving a side car, there is no need to wear a helmet. The policeman saw us through all the traffic with no helmets, made his way towards us waving his hands around, saw the sidecar attached, and then walked away saying never mind..

Myself and my partner had a Motorcycle with Sidecar (samlor) when we first came to live here 7 years ago - we liked it and it was very handy for getting around, the only problem we found was the sidecar tire kept going flat, nearly every week we had problems with it. Apart from that it was a nifty little thing. We called it Bessy! We kept if for a while, then i bought a car when the rainy season came, I also remember getting drenched on it at songkran.

Want the one used as a work horse ,that goes on small bikes .Would like a new chrome well made one .

cost of a sidecar 3700 baht follow the link http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000006510

Thought so, THB 19,000 is pretty expensive.....

As i said they had a normal one for 8000 baht ,and the one i got is built all in chrome ,so is worth it in my opinion ,and the main thing is that i am happy with it .I asked here for advice before i bought and in 2 months there was not one useful reply .Now when i have bought people come out with cheaper offers .Agree though the one for 3,700 baht could be good value if and only if it is properly built .I wanted some thing better than the usual rubbish though ,and i think 19000 baht for chrome is good value .It also has a decent wheel like most of them do not .

• 8 months later...
Want the one used as a work horse ,that goes on small bikes .Would like a new chrome well made one .

cost of a sidecar 3700 baht follow the link http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000006510

Thought so, THB 19,000 is pretty expensive.....

As i said they had a normal one for 8000 baht ,and the one i got is built all in chrome ,so is worth it in my opinion ,and the main thing is that i am happy with it .I asked here for advice before i bought and in 2 months there was not one useful reply .Now when i have bought people come out with cheaper offers .Agree though the one for 3,700 baht could be good value if and only if it is properly built .I wanted some thing better than the usual rubbish though ,and i think 19000 baht for chrome is good value .It also has a decent wheel like most of them do not .

Hi Thaifan2,

I'm thinking about getting something similar. I've tried a test drive in one, and it seems that you just have to corner slowly and carefully. Apart from that, it's ideal for shopping, and carrying people around, and getting to those inaccessible places.

You must have had yours for around 8 months by now. Would you care to share your experiences? Was it a good idea in retrospect? How much do you use it? Have you had any problems with the BiB? Any advice in general for someone considering this option?

Thanks for any info.

G.

Apart from that, it's ideal for shopping, and carrying people around, and getting to those inaccessible places.

...you forget to mention that it is most useful for blocking faster trafic.... :o

Mai pen rai

>>You must have had yours for around 8 months by now. Would you care to share your experiences? Was it a good idea in retrospect? How much do you use it? Have you had any problems with the BiB? Any advice in general for someone considering this option?

Thanks for any info.<<

Have only done about 20 kms on it .Later i bought a Toyota Hiace van which i use now along with the Honda Phantom Motorcycle .If anyone is interested i will let it go for 15,500 baht .( sidecar only )

>>You must have had yours for around 8 months by now. Would you care to share your experiences? Was it a good idea in retrospect? How much do you use it? Have you had any problems with the BiB? Any advice in general for someone considering this option?

Thanks for any info.<<

Have only done about 20 kms on it .Later i bought a Toyota Hiace van which i use now along with the Honda Phantom Motorcycle .If anyone is interested i will let it go for 15,500 baht .( sidecar only )

Was there any particular reason for not using the MB/sidecar? I mean a negative one (rather than a personal one, such as needing a bigger vehicle), like harassment from the BiB, difficulty parking it, difficulty driving it, or something else a prospective purchaser would like to know about?

Thanks.

G

Thanks for any info.<<

Was there any particular reason for not using the MB/sidecar? I mean a negative one (rather than a personal one, such as needing a bigger vehicle), like harassment from the BiB, difficulty parking it, difficulty driving it, or something else a prospective purchaser would like to know about?

Thanks.

G

Other than feeling like a prat driving it ,no !

• 1 year later...

Hy, guys

Here's my experience.

I purchased a brand new Honda Dream (electric starter, carburetor) for 42.500 THB in Samui. Then ordered a saleng/saleeng (side-car in Thai) and had it attached. 8000 THB. I also ordered a cushion for the passenger and a rain cover for the side car. 1500 THB altogether.

Then I went around the whole South of Thailand, from Ko Phangan to Songkla, Satun and Trang, up to Krabi, Phang Nga and Ranong and back to Donsak for boarding the ferry to Ko Pha Ngan. 3700 kilometers in 5 weeks.

I was not stopped ONCE by the police and had only encountered smiling faces from the authorities (policemen or soldiers).

Driving the thing is not easy in the beginning, but it time you get used to it. Just make sure you don't overload your saleng and keep the whole thing well balanced. If you take a passenger, make sure he/she sits in line with you, as low as possible. I purchased one pillow and put it inside the saleng for potential passengers. It's comfortable and fun.

Regarding safety now: there is no way to have a safe drive in Thailand unless you drive a Russian tank. These guys are not quite fond of safe driving regulations and, even on highways, you should get easily used with the vision of 3 children approaching on a motorbike on the wrong lane.

However, to make your ride as safe as possible, keep your speed under 70 km/h on motorways and under 50 km/h on other types of roads. Going up the hills is the most challenging thing, as your motorbike is not designed to carry such a heavy load. Go slow.

I was lucky to have avoided any accident, though there were some stupid situations on the roads, especially in towns and cities, where motor bikers try to fit in any free gap.

For long rides, make sure you have some extra gasoline with you, since the fuel consumption goes up from an average 1.5-2 on a motorbike to 2.5-3 liters pe km after you have attached the saleng and all your luggage.

Also, never drive without wearing a helmet or glasses, since a very aggressive form conjunctivitis is quite frequent in Thailand. One of my friends got it and lost 25% of his eyes capacity.

If you want to see more about my saleng trip around Southern Thailand, visit my dedicated blog: www.the-thailander.blogspot.com

_DSC5373.jpg

Hy, guys

Here's my experience.

I purchased a brand new Honda Dream (electric starter, carburetor) for 42.500 THB in Samui. Then ordered a saleng/saleeng (side-car in Thai) and had it attached. 8000 THB. I also ordered a cushion for the passenger and a rain cover for the side car. 1500 THB altogether.

Then I went around the whole South of Thailand, from Ko Phangan to Songkla, Satun and Trang, up to Krabi, Phang Nga and Ranong and back to Donsak for boarding the ferry to Ko Pha Ngan. 3700 kilometers in 5 weeks.

I was not stopped ONCE by the police and had only encountered smiling faces from the authorities (policemen or soldiers).

Driving the thing is not easy in the beginning, but it time you get used to it. Just make sure you don't overload your saleng and keep the whole thing well balanced. If you take a passenger, make sure he/she sits in line with you, as low as possible. I purchased one pillow and put it inside the saleng for potential passengers. It's comfortable and fun.

Regarding safety now: there is no way to have a safe drive in Thailand unless you drive a Russian tank. These guys are not quite fond of safe driving regulations and, even on highways, you should get easily used with the vision of 3 children approaching on a motorbike on the wrong lane.

However, to make your ride as safe as possible, keep your speed under 70 km/h on motorways and under 50 km/h on other types of roads. Going up the hills is the most challenging thing, as your motorbike is not designed to carry such a heavy load. Go slow.

I was lucky to have avoided any accident, though there were some stupid situations on the roads, especially in towns and cities, where motor bikers try to fit in any free gap.

For long rides, make sure you have some extra gasoline with you, since the fuel consumption goes up from an average 1.5-2 on a motorbike to 2.5-3 liters pe km after you have attached the saleng and all your luggage.

Also, never drive without wearing a helmet or glasses, since a very aggressive form conjunctivitis is quite frequent in Thailand. One of my friends got it and lost 25% of his eyes capacity.

If you want to see more about my saleng trip around Southern Thailand, visit my dedicated blog: www.the-thailander.blogspot.com

_DSC5373.jpg

You are my hero - well done!!!!! :)

I had one made a year ago at a small workshop in Banglamung. They put 4 springs on instead of two, built in a secure storage box, added a sun awning over the whole thing, and the total cost was 8000 Baht. It's lightweight and just great for shopping with the teelac, who loves it.

Cornering is an art - people in the UK used to put a sack of cement in the sidecar to keep the wheel on the ground. The problem is that dynamically, with all three wheels on the ground, it's effectively the same as a car when cornering. But once that third wheel has left the ground, it's back to being a bike and the balance has completely changed. It's wise to practice cornering on some soft surface like grass, and even then always take the corners gently.

And yes, they are illegal, you cannot tax a sidecar - except bizarrely as mentioned above when it's attached to a Tiger motorbike. Don't ask me! Generally the cops ignore you on one of these unless you go down a street the wrong way or make some other obvious infringement. No need to wear a helmet either, if you want to live dangerously. I did get done by one hungry senior cop last year though for an illegal modification to the motorbike. He told me my tax was wrong, which was when I eventually got through to the Chief Mechanic Chon Buri Province, and he conformed that they cannot be taxed except for the Tiger.

At the end of the day, it's up to you. I find it safer and more comfortable and much more useful than a straight motorbike - but then I have never been much of a fan of motorbikes. Living near Jomtien Beach on the Baht Bus route, a car would be wasted, so the sahling suits me fine. Not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but I'm just off to Tesco to pick up water, Diet Coke, some beer, and a pile of other stuff which you simply couldn't fit on a motorbike. With the sidecar, it's a breeze.

post-51556-1271136594_thumb.jpg

For somebody wanting to buy a bike with Side Car, there is now a Tiger Retro available with Side Car. When bought new its 100% legal. More info look at the Forum Sponsor in the Bike Part of this Forum

I have a Tiger Retro with sidecar, very good little rig, gets a huge amount of attention from both Thais and farangs. Very good for short shopping runs where I don't need/wants to use the car.

More info here:http://www.tigersachsclub.com/tproducts.html