Motorcycle Side Car .

Thaifan2

For somebody wanting to buy a bike with Side Car, there is now a Tiger Retro available with Side Car. When bought new its 100% legal. More info look at the Forum Sponsor in the Bike Part of this Forum

I have a Tiger Retro with sidecar, very good little rig, gets a huge amount of attention from both Thais and farangs. Very good for short shopping runs where I don't need/wants to use the car.

More info here:http://www.tigersachsclub.com/tproducts.html

I have a motorbike & side car, I must keep a good hold of the handle bars at all times or it starts to wobble. Are they all the same?

I have a motorbike & side car, I must keep a good hold of the handle bars at all times or it starts to wobble. Are they all the same?

No mine don't wobble, but I seldom goes more than 70 km/h. I can ride it easily with one hand.

I'm surprised this hasn't been moved to the bikes in Thailand sub forum.

I asked the same thing, and some of the answers were relevant if you want to look for it there.

All the moderators are out celebrating Songklarn, splashing water, drinking beers and so on. :)

I'm surprised this hasn't been moved to the bikes in Thailand sub forum.

I asked the same thing, and some of the answers were relevant if you want to look for it there.

All the moderators are out celebrating Songklarn, splashing water, drinking beers and so on. :)

No they're not, don't drink and don't throw water around.

I can move it if you want but the OP has has his two year old question answered already which started as a Pattaya specific question but now seems to have moved a bit into handling and driving.

Let me know.

• 11 months later...

But it is not insured, so if having an accident, the driver pay all !!

There is no Thai law that allows a motorcycle with a sidecar to be legally registered. This means they cannot be legitimately insured.

Therefore, all motorcycles with sidecars are illegal. Motorcycles are the only two-wheel vehicles that may be legally registered and be legitimately insured.”

Monday, April 23, 2001 Somjit Boonchaoy, Phuket Provincial Transportation Office.

the stupidest thing I ever see here is farangs with side-cars. why would you not just buy a car for shopping etc? No, the Thai's do not see you as "one of them." yes they do all laugh at you and yes so do I. Rule #1: DO NOT GO NATIVE ON US !!!!!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Hy, guys

Here's my experience.

I purchased a brand new Honda Dream (electric starter, carburetor) for 42.500 THB in Samui. Then ordered a saleng/saleeng (side-car in Thai) and had it attached. 8000 THB. I also ordered a cushion for the passenger and a rain cover for the side car. 1500 THB altogether.

Then I went around the whole South of Thailand, from Ko Phangan to Songkla, Satun and Trang, up to Krabi, Phang Nga and Ranong and back to Donsak for boarding the ferry to Ko Pha Ngan. 3700 kilometers in 5 weeks.

I was not stopped ONCE by the police and had only encountered smiling faces from the authorities (policemen or soldiers).

Driving the thing is not easy in the beginning, but it time you get used to it. Just make sure you don't overload your saleng and keep the whole thing well balanced. If you take a passenger, make sure he/she sits in line with you, as low as possible. I purchased one pillow and put it inside the saleng for potential passengers. It's comfortable and fun.

Regarding safety now: there is no way to have a safe drive in Thailand unless you drive a Russian tank. These guys are not quite fond of safe driving regulations and, even on highways, you should get easily used with the vision of 3 children approaching on a motorbike on the wrong lane.

However, to make your ride as safe as possible, keep your speed under 70 km/h on motorways and under 50 km/h on other types of roads. Going up the hills is the most challenging thing, as your motorbike is not designed to carry such a heavy load. Go slow.

I was lucky to have avoided any accident, though there were some stupid situations on the roads, especially in towns and cities, where motor bikers try to fit in any free gap.

For long rides, make sure you have some extra gasoline with you, since the fuel consumption goes up from an average 1.5-2 on a motorbike to 2.5-3 liters pe km after you have attached the saleng and all your luggage.

Also, never drive without wearing a helmet or glasses, since a very aggressive form conjunctivitis is quite frequent in Thailand. One of my friends got it and lost 25% of his eyes capacity.

If you want to see more about my saleng trip around Southern Thailand, visit my dedicated blog: www.the-thailander.blogspot.com

_DSC5373.jpg

You are my hero - well done!!!!! :)

OK HATE TO PUT THE PRESSURE ON YOU BUT ARE YOU SURE YOU WEREN'T DRIVING A RUSSIAN TANK WITH THOSE FUEL CONSUMPTION FIGURES ?? for the record , litres per klm or klms per litre and on a bike I would have thought 25 to 30 kilometres per litre of fuel :)

I still have my side-car .Its gathering dust in my yard up in Chiang Mai .They look cute but are horrible and very dangerous to drive . :jap:

It's not chrome though, it's polished stainless even better and it looks good but as mentioned they are illegal here and to the other poster, though it's been quite a while for an answer, the answer is No! It's not a new law even at the time of his posting it's just been overlooked in enforcement (like so many others here)..

I cannot see why anyone would want one of these, I see a few falangs with them and they think it is cool

they are highly dangerous

have to wait in traffic as a car would so impractical

what's the point of having one

Thais use them beecause they cannot afford a car

The silliest thing I have ever seen in Thailand is farangs on motorcycles with these side-cars.

Buy a truck folks, trust me then the Thais won't laugh at you trying to fit in with them. The only reason they use them is it is cheap for them. if you gave them a small toyota truck they would gladly trade in there samlor.

I must admit though I do laugh my nuts off every time I see a faring on one of these especially the ones that have old run down ones and a Thai flag tattooed on there arm.

The Tiger outfit could be a good bet ,as there is a chance that they have fully tested the rig for safety and balance .My bike when attached to the side car ,has very shaky handlebars and very easily turns over on left hand bends . :bah:

I cannot see why anyone would want one of these, I see a few falangs with them and they think it is cool

errr.... same reason for farangs :huh:

Some of us live on the Baht Bus route and hardly ever go out of town, so we don't have any incentive to spend a lot of money on a car which we would hardly use, but we still need to do bulk shopping (beer, water, Coke, etc.). When the taxi mafia at Tesco Lotus put up their price for a trip from Lotus to Jomtien to 200 Baht a few years back I decided that it would be more economical to get a second-hand motorbike and add a sahling to it. That cost 8000 Baht, including a sun awning to keep me cool, extra springs and a safe box, and it really is very practical. The girlfriend prefers it to riding pillion on the bike. In fact, we're just off to Makro to pick up a few cases of SML, some Diet Coke, soda water, and various other stuff far too bulky to carry on a motorbike, but it all fits into the sahling easily. They're also a lot of fun to drive around in this climate, at least for short trips around Pattaya. I wouldn't be as adventurous as the guy who drove his down to Phuket.

Bullshit talking, I have a Tiger Retro/w sidecar and I have a car as well. The reason I bought the rig is that I go overseas working for 2 month at a time and my wife can't drive a car, yet. It is very convenient for her, put our son in the sidecar go shopping, it can carry quite a lot even with the boy in the sidecar.

Maybe some farangs can't afford a car so the sidecar option is a good solution, why care so much about it?

Edited by guzzi850m2

"The silliest thing I have ever seen in Thailand is farangs on motorcycles with these side-cars."

Whoa... wait a while, Doc.

B)

hahahahahahha Ok ya got me there mate. I take my words back. haha funny one.

• 1 year later...
Want the one used as a work horse ,that goes on small bikes .Would like a new chrome well made one .

cost of a sidecar 3700 baht follow the link http://www.pattayada...NEWS=0000006510

Thought so, THB 19,000 is pretty expensive.....

I agree, but have you noticed the shock absorber on that and the tire, and remember if you can carry 6 bar girls at once its worth the money thumbsup.gif

Other than feeling like a prat driving it ,no !

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Thanks! It wouldn't worry me in the least. Driving around town wearing a gold suit, well that would be too much even for me...

Who is that crazy guy who rides round all day in the gold suit on a push bike. Is he English ?

Other than feeling like a prat driving it ,no !

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Thanks! It wouldn't worry me in the least. Driving around town wearing a gold suit, well that would be too much even for me...

Who is that crazy guy who rides round all day in the gold suit on a push bike. Is he English ?

Glitterman I believe has returned to the UK recently, there was a thread a few weeks ago.