Trip To Us, Converting Baht To Us$

I will be visiting the US next month, and need to convert some baht to US$ for expenses.

What method will get me the best exchange rate... Convert it at a bank here, a currency exchange in the US, or use my Bank Of Ayudhya ATM/Visa Electron card in the US (assuming it will work there).

Thank you for your suggestions.

Two comments: I think you will get a much better rate buying dollars in Thailand than selling baht in the US. Not much call for baht in the US.

On the ATM, look at the card and verify that the card has network logos on it, like Plus/Star. Then if I was not sure, I would visit the bank here and verify that the card is open to international usage. You should get a decent rate at the US ATMS. I tried my card in the US to check that it works (SCB) and it did.

I concur with Jingthing. On my last trip, I went to the trouble of ordering and buying US dollars in my small-town Isaan bank weeks ahead of the trip. I wished I hadn't. In the USA, I also used my SCB ATM card at local cash machines and actually got a better rate! :o

I wish to transfer a large amount of baht to the UK (I have the appropriate paperwork) is it more advisable to send baht to the UK and then have it changed into sterling or have it changed into sterling in Thailand and then send it to the UK. Thanks.

I wish to transfer a large amount of baht to the UK (I have the appropriate paperwork) is it more advisable to send baht to the UK and then have it changed into sterling or have it changed into sterling in Thailand and then send it to the UK. Thanks.

I doesn't matter whether you are sending money to or from Thailand, you should always make sure that the exchange is done in Thailand.

Sophon