Arrival In The Uk With Your Spouse

Shrubbery

My wife and I are going to the UK for a couple of weeks R & R. This will be her first visit and my first trip back for several years, so I am a little out of touch with what's what.

I was wondering if she, as a Thai passport holder with a valid tourist visa, can avoid the "snake" and come through immigration with me, British passport holder. I am also her sponsor.

I've never had a problem going through Thai immigration with her. I was hoping that UK immigration would be equally accommodating.

you go thru the imigration together,but in a different lane,if the visa is all above board its not a problem

Her visa is above board. And slightly off subject, only took 48 hours to obtain from online application to collection of her passport. (though not in BKK)

By different lane, do you mean the European Passport holders lane(s) and the Non European Passport lanes.

You can both go together through the same channel - just choose the shortest queue, doesn't matter if it's the EU channel or the 'Other Passports' channel. This certainly works at Newcastle - done it twice. I was uncertain about it so I queried the Border and Immigration Agency/ Border Control and was told that it is not their policy to split up families at immigration. So, no problem.

As a matter of interest, this also works when re-entering Thailand at Suvarnabhumi!

DM

You can both go together through the same channel - just choose the shortest queue, doesn't matter if it's the EU channel or the 'Other Passports' channel. This certainly works at Newcastle - done it twice. I was uncertain about it so I queried the Border and Immigration Agency/ Border Control and was told that it is not their policy to split up families at immigration. So, no problem.

As a matter of interest, this also works when re-entering Thailand at Suvarnabhumi!

DM

I had heard that immigration don't like splitting up families, but wasn't sure if there was any truth in it.

We've never had a problem at BKK when going through the Thai passport channel.

It's good to know that common sense is used.....sometimes.

On the return to manchester i asked if my thai wife and child could come through the british side with me instead of going through foreign passport control.They refused and i had to get in line with the rest of them. No priority over here in my own country. When travelling to thai i went through thai passport control with my family no problems and on the way back at swampy.No waiting at all, maybe because i had a 6 month old child in my arms.

On the return to manchester i asked if my thai wife and child could come through the british side with me instead of going through foreign passport control.They refused and i had to get in line with the rest of them. No priority over here in my own country. When travelling to thai i went through thai passport control with my family no problems and on the way back at swampy.No waiting at all, maybe because i had a 6 month old child in my arms.

At Manchester (and any other UK airport) you can join your wife/family in the other passports lane and go through together. I went through with my wife last week at Manchester for the third time. You can also go up to the immigration desk together if you want to. Manchester, at least, seem to be very helpful in that respect.

you go thru the imigration together,but in a different lane,if the visa is all above board its not a problem

Her visa is above board. And slightly off subject, only took 48 hours to obtain from online application to collection of her passport. (though not in BKK)

By different lane, do you mean the European Passport holders lane(s) and the Non European Passport lanes.

Please tell more ....On-line application and collection from where?

Please tell more ....On-line application and collection from where?

You have to apply online through the Brit Embassy for a visa. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/

We went through the British Embassy in Brunei. Where we live.

Was amazed how quick and easy it was. But the embassy here in Brunei is nowhere near as busy as Bangkok.

I have passed through the EU passports line with my Thai wife at LHR many times without a problem. Indeed on a previous entry when I queued in the other passports line with my wife, the immigration officer told me I should use the EU lane in future. My wife has a visa giving indefinite leave to remain, and I'm not sure if the same applies to other visa classes.

It is UKBA policy that they will not split up families, so you can present yourself at the EU desk together, whatever visa your wife holds.

In fact it makes it easier for the Immigration Officer at the desk as you are on hand to answer any questions.

I had the same experience as citizen33.

Arrived at Heathrow with my wife (Thai passport) on a tourist visa, plus 2 boys with UK passports. Was unsure which line to use and went with the non EU queue.

Was told by immigration officer that use of the EU line is OK and will do that in the future.

Do they keep the stamps necessary for non-EU passports in the EU lane. My guess would be not. So if the passport needs stamping then best to all go through the non-EU lane IMO. Depends what kind of visa it is of course

Do they keep the stamps necessary for non-EU passports in the EU lane. My guess would be not. So if the passport needs stamping then best to all go through the non-EU lane IMO. Depends what kind of visa it is of course

Yes they do, each IO has their own stamp.

At Manchester (and any other UK airport) you can join your wife/family in the other passports lane and go through together. I went through with my wife last week at Manchester for the third time. You can also go up to the immigration desk together if you want to. Manchester, at least, seem to be very helpful in that respect.

Yes but in other passport lane at manchester we had to wait a long time to get through because of the questioning of other foreign passengers and i made a point of telling immigration that we have a baby in arms and we wanted to get through immigration as soon as possible after that long flight as any parent would feel shattered.

If the staff at Manchester would not let you and your family enter with you in the EU lane they were wrong, but of course that doesn't help you now.

In future I would just pitch up together at the EU together and say nothing.